Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BREAKING - BILL MACY DEAD

Looks like God finally got you, Walter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2019 2:58 AM

Oh! Calcutta! Say hi to Bea for us.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 9:09 AM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 9:12 AM

Felicity Huffman’s husband can now drop the H.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 9:15 AM

I remember him having a small part in Frasier as a board member of the body corp.........or was that Mindy's dad from Mork and Mindy?

Either way, I thought it was kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 9:39 AM

I remember him having a small part in Frasier as a board member of the body corp.........or was that Mindy's dad from Mork and Mindy?

Either way, I thought it was kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 9:39 AM

From a Facebook post:

Actor Bill Macy passed away at 7:13pm Thursday October 17th, per his wife Samantha.

Born Wolf Martin Garber May 18, 1922 (age 97)

Samantha Harper (m. 1975)

He was raised in Brooklyn, New York, and worked as a cab driver before pursuing an acting career.

He has made more than 70 appearances on film and television. He appeared as the Jury Foreman in The Producers in 1967. Other memorable roles include the co-inventor of the 'Opti-grab' in the 1979 Steve Martin comedy The Jerk, and as the head television writer in My Favorite Year (1982).

Macy played Walter Findlay, the long-suffering husband of the title character on the 1970s television situation comedy Maude, starring Beatrice Arthur.

His other film credits include roles in Death at Love House (1976), The Late Show (1976), Serial (1980), Movers & Shakers (1985), Bad Medicine (1985), Tales from the Darkside (1986), Sibling Rivalry (1990), The Doctor (1991), Me, Myself and I (1992), Analyze This (1999), Surviving Christmas (2004), The Holiday (2006), and Mr. Woodcock (2007).

In 1986, Macy was a guest on the fourth episode of L.A. Law, playing an older man whose young wife wants a music career. Macy appeared in the popular television movie Perry Mason and The Case Of The Murdered Madame (1987) as banker Richard Wilson.

He appeared occasionally on Seinfeld as one of the residents of the Florida retirement community where Jerry Seinfeld's parents lived. He also appeared on the short-lived Fox sitcom Back to You. Macy portrayed a demon in a guest appearance on Millennium. Macy made a guest appearance as a patient on Chicago Hope, and as an aging gambler on the series Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 9:47 AM

Always on the losing end of sword ⚔️ fights with Maude!

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 9:47 AM

I didn't know him.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 10:00 AM

I find it a little more than coincidental that the Golden Girl’s chia pet heads come out and he dies. I think seeing Bea with a green afro done did him in and he could take no more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 10:21 AM

I was sure he was already dead.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 10:47 AM

Felicity will go to the funeral in chains.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 10:50 AM

God will get you for that, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 10:52 AM

He begged Bea to have even a small guest role on Golden Girls and she laughed in his face. He was always the odd man out, even Conrad Bain refused to get him a walk on part.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 2:04 PM

In respect for the dead , we won't discuss the OH CALCUTTA ' INCIDENT .'

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 2:20 PM

Even as a kid , I never thought he looked manly enough to be married to MAUDE .

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 2:23 PM

From the linked article:

"In a 1998 interview with the Archive of American Television, Lear said that he "first saw Bill Macy choking on a chicken bone in an off-Broadway play…it took seven minutes; it was a tour de force." The producer brought him out to Hollywood, where he got a few lines as a cop on an episode of All in the Family and then the life-changing Maude role."

AND

"Survivors include his wife since 1975, actress Samantha Harper, a regular on another Lear show, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. They met in the late '60s when both were in the original Broadway production of the zesty Oh! Calcutta!"

I don't remember his wife on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 8:05 PM

Tweet from a blast from the past:

Lydia Cornell @LydiaCornell

Rest in Peace #BillMacy ~ such a great character actor. Enjoyed his work as Walter Findlay in bot #AllInTheFamily and #Maude. #RIPBillMacy via @realJeffBlair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 8:09 PM

That’s a shame. ™

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 8:13 PM

The last of the main Maude cast to go.

(And no, Adrienne Barbeau wasn't main cast!)

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Speaking of Adrienne, she tweeted:

"Oh, Bill, you made me laugh ‘til I cried and now I’m just crying, but smiling through tears when I think of the great six years we shared. "

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 12:15 AM

He conducted the meeting of the condo board at The Pines at Mar Gables Phase II that voted to impeach Morty Seinfeld.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 12:21 AM

Wonderful actor. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 12:24 AM

He once got in trouble on the set of "Maude"; one scene involving him doing a drunken strip down to his underwear or at least shirtless, but in rehearsal, having been in "Oh! Calcutta!" a few years before, he decided to strip everything off. I don't know if this was to a dress rehearsal with an audience, but the network was up in arm since the show had a child actor playing Adrienne Barbeau's son Philip. Anyway, I remember the story and rather wished Walter had stripped for me when I was younger. He was kind of cute, and he was great as Walter on the show. And yes, there are photos of the naked original "Oh! Calcutta!" cast (which included hunky hairy Alan Rachins from "L.A. Law" and "Dharma and Greg') on-line as well from a published book of the script. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 12:24 AM

His wife Samantha had a small part in the early episodes of 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman'. She played Roberta, the social worker who was assigned to Mary's Grandpa Larkin, who had been arrested for public exposure. Roberta fell in love with Grandpa Larkin, which was typical weird MHMH, and she lost her job as a social worker for that. Then she started promoting an EST-like self-improvement cult called STET. Then she started dating Sergeant Dennis Foley, who strung her along while he was also pursuing Mary and her sister Cathy. She did not return in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 12:52 AM

Other than Adrienne Barbeau, the main cast members are all now gone (also not including the kid I suppose, whoever he was). Macy had a good run for a man who already looked old in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Other than Adrienne Barbeau, the main cast members are all now gone (also not including the kid I suppose, whoever he was). Macy had a good run for a man who already looked old in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 12:55 AM

My friend's dad looked and talked just like him.

And he really WAS an alkie, not just a temporary one like Walter.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote] And no, Adrienne Barbeau wasn't main cast!

Uh, what?! Of course she was.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 1:46 AM

How many have seen Serial with DL fave Tuesday Weld? Bill Macy is in this and he’s hilarious along with the film.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 2:06 AM

“Say hi to Bea for us.”

That’s just so Maude-lin.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote] Uh, what?! Of course she was.

She was more a supporting character.

Almost every show had Maude/Walter/Arthur/Viv.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 4:08 AM

Speaking of Adrienne Barbeau a while ago someone posted a hilarious video of her dancing all wild at some telethon in the 70s. It's really random. I can't find it anywhere. If someone can please post it here.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2019 4:23 AM

I think the Telethon was an episode of "Maude".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2019 4:36 AM

And no mention of it on TMZ, of course.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2019 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!