Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Left’s Technophobic Streak

Lately I’ve found myself making an observation about the modern political left–it has a tendency to fall into a rather unbecoming technophobia. On a slew of issues, from guns to drones to surveillance to GMO food to nuclear power, there is an increasing tendency for people on the left to attack the new technologies themselves instead of any specific use or consequence thereof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 1:17 PM

You start a lot of technology phobia threads OP. It's nice to have a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 8:33 AM

I’ve noticed a general denial (or manipulation) of science, when it suits them, too. Mostly I’m speaking of trans issues, but it comes up in the vegan and race threads, too.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 9:09 AM

The right is trans-loving, not the left. Don't lie R2.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 10:42 AM

But but but we love our newfangled contraptions like vibrators and flashlights. How could we be technophobes????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 10:57 AM

Well, I myself have found myself making an observation about Benjamin Studebaker (at OP's link)—he has a tendency to make straw-man arguments, advancing generalizations about what "the left" thinks without actually giving any examples of leftists blindly criticizing whole technologies, let alone demonstrating that ignoring statistics and particular consequences is characteristic of those critiques. The closest thing to specific "leftist" positions he cites are those of Rand Paul and Edward Snowden. The essay comes across as a weak satire.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 11:06 AM

So according to this troll the Left are technically conservative and the Right is technically progressive? LOL

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Sorry, the Left IS technically conservative ...

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Nothing new, OP. But not the left or liberals; the FAR left have always been Luddites.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 11:51 AM

R3, I listen to NPR a lot. They’re the ones calling people with penises women, and guilt-tripping women into accepting them into locker rooms. I don’t know how the right feels about them, except the story that they’d rather have a trans daughter than a gay son. But the right-wingers I know consider both things freaks.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 12:20 PM

Go fuck yourself with a cattle prod. That's appropriate technology for you, OP, you fat sow.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 4:26 PM

ONLY THE HARMFUL ONES, ASSHOLE!

Why is it the Right NEVER GIVES A FUCK HOW MANY PEOPLE CORPORATIONS HARM?

It's just unconditional greed and Management Is Always Right. Corporate anarchy.

Go fuck yourself, OP. You're not getting out of the impeachment and Trump is NOT getting a second term. KEEP YOUR LIES & SHIT UP because you're giving Democrats the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 5:01 PM

Yes OP, every leftist I know is a science denying flat earther. Run along now Vlad, your borscht is getting cold.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 9:51 PM

OP You reichs wingers should make up your minds. Is Silicon Valley all commie libtards allied against Trump or are we neo luddites yearning for an Amish way of life.

The only natural fact is you’re full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 11:13 PM

The left's technophobic streak only extends to the fucking little asshole Mark Zuckerberg allowing blatant Republican lies and disinformation to be posted on his website so he can stuff a few more bucks in his pockets.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 11:19 PM

It's time to remember republicans only accuse Democrats of what they themselves are guilty of.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 10:07 AM

Republicans are traitors, luddites, pedophiles, libertines, godless, corrupt, language police, science-denying frauds and charlatans in permanent war with the United States. ' And none of them are lefties. Except a surprising number belong to police and fire unions.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 10:08 AM

The right are language police, R16?

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 10:31 AM

99% of attacks on free speech have always come from the right, and that continues to be the case R17.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 10:39 AM

Maybe in 1955, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 10:44 AM

Maybe in 2019, R19

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 11:15 AM

It’s because the democratic party is entirely controlled by old ass people. I mean, for christ’s sake, look at Pelosi. Ninety percent of our candidates for president in 2020 are OLD AS FUCK!! The rules of politics as far as both age restriction and “experience” goes make it an old man’s game. Which comes back to bite us in the ass when they try to get archaic policies passed.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Go munch on 100 ranitadine pills, OP. This cutting edge medicine is exactly what you're looking for.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 1:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!