Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I find Nolan's Batman overrated.

Bane is terrible - he's a Hispanic detainee, not a moron hole retard. Retarded makeup joker - crazy enough, but the rest of the personality is completely wrong. - Catwoman - um .... who exactly is Catwoman? that Anne Hathaway thing? No way. Batman drives the Batmobile, not A battle tank - no comment. Batman logo - personally, I've always preferred the yellow logo. Black logo of the animated series is also very good. The Bale logo - what the heck is that? Gotham - Nolan Gotham sucks. what exactly is gothic about it? Burton steps here. Ras Al Ghul - 600 year old killer, not A 60 year old grandfather with inherited name. Scarecrow - could have been much better presented than that idiot with a silly purse on his head. Two Faces - I didn't really notice your split personality, Nolan didn't get anything right. I think the Batman is the greatest detective. - Nolan Batman certainly not. What did he investigate? how much time did he spend studying his opponents? where are your cool gadgets? Batsuit - If you remove the hood, you can't even tell if the Batsuit suit or swat I could go on, but I'm tired of writing ...

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2019 1:11 PM

My main statement is that he forgets the main feature of Batman. The formula is Sherlock Level Detective Holmes, Ninja, martial arts master, chemist and the owner of Rich Technology Company, which provides a source for your equipment. Nolan Batman is just a rich and spoiled guy trained by the League of Assassins with technology. He is really a mess and apparently not that smart.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 6:57 AM

Nolan's Joker being more than a little two-dimensional. The scariest thing about Joker, for me, has always been that one thread of sanity. If you have a pure psychopath, everything becomes predictable because he is capable of anything. If, however, you add the option of sound thinking (however implausible) or even fractured reasoning, So you have real horror on your hands. Think how disturbing some legendary serial killers should be (in part) how rational they sometimes seemed. Take that feeling of discomfort and add pure magic to the comic, and ready. The Joker, as I see it, reminds me a bit of Fuller's Hannibal Lecter, but with a gigantic dose of theater. Heath Ledger had a great time performance, but in my eyes, this is not Joker.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 6:58 AM

Christopher Nolan's Batman and his world is boring and frankly utterly disrespectful. For example, I think one of the The first thing that stood out was that Gotham didn't look exactly like Gotham. Then Batman seems to have throat clearing or he's making a mockery of Batman's voice. None of the villains seem to have very deep. They're boring, not scary, not comic, and you know they'll let Batman win at Final. I hate predictability. If Nolan really wanted a more "realistic" Batman saga, he should write them so that the bad guys would not sabotage themselves to lose! Batman can still win in the end, should have half the city annihilated, bodies everywhere, people screaming, etc. Instead of a bunch of childish PG-13 crap, let's take an R-rating and make this world a darker, not a lighter one. Let's allow Batman to act a bit more like Spawn.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 6:58 AM

There is no element of fantasy. And despite Batman's "realistic" credentials, he's a comic book character. He is bigger than life. And Nolan makes it a joke.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 7:00 AM

For me, the worst part was Batman's character and motivation. Especially at the end of the movie where he talks to Robin about living with suppressed anger and turning it into motivation. Batman was not about anger. Contrast, please, with O Incredible Hulk. Sure, he might be mad, but he didn't fight crime because he was mad that someone had killed his parents. And it wasn't revenge either. Batman's motivation was justice. He is a knight, a protector, a defender. He is that's because I didn't want to repeat an injustice of what happened to your parents. They took "The Dark Knight" and changed to "The Avenging Ninja".

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 7:02 AM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 7:02 AM

Nolan gives you the illusion of realism, but make no mistake, such a situation in the “real world” would not be as real as the Batman Our government would not have a deadlock with terrorists in a besieged American city for three months. The back Broken ones take a little over half a year to heal, and yet I doubt you're 100%. Speaking of Bond, Bane and Don't Talia really seem reminiscent of the relationship between Electra King and Renard? To the point where the two movies Wasted a really good bad guy for having all his motivation for devoting himself to a woman who would never recognize him? Say what you want about Bane's comic version, his motivation and execution of his own "plans" have done a lot more meaningful and were much more intriguing in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 7:03 AM

OP, please feel free to share your overrated comments about childish cartoons on 4chan, Stormfront, or whatever unimpressive incel caves of your choice. Come back when you have an overrated opinion on "Mommie Dearest."

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 7:04 AM

You can tell or make a relevant or meaningful movie in any genre. There were stories with ideas or social comments made in all genres; horror, science fiction, adventure and westerns; many of these movies don't They are particularly realistic (Romero's zombie movies, for example), but they say a lot about society. So, Trying to say that Nolan's Batman movies are superior because of their "realism" is not correct. If you want make a realistic movie about vigilantism or anarchy, don't make a Batman movie; however you can easily make these themes the forefront of a story set in a world of crime fighters dressed up for good writing, good direction and staying true to the story line. What I really think is fooling people is the The notion that making someone believe that something they are watching at the cinema is synonymous with the fact that the movie is realistic when all it really means is that the filmmakers didn't violate viewers with a specific suspension of disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 7:04 AM

I hate how he played Bane as this tough guy with martial arts training. The real Bane is just a criminal but with the super strength of its toxins. I understand that Nolan's things just like a tough guy are more realistic, but part of what makes Batman great is his villains with defeated real super powers, even though he's Just a man.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 7:05 AM

I don't dislike them but I find them a bit dour and joyless. Trying too hard to be realistic and dark. It's an interesting approach but I missed the comic book look and feel of previous Batman movies.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 7:11 AM

My biggest problem with Nolan’s Batman is that it doesn’t have the tone needed to make the material so great.

A guy running around dressed as a giant bat fighting other people dressed up in silly costumes is ridiculous. Thus, in order to make it work and make it engrossing and believable, Gotham needs to have a certain aesthetic. There needs to be that specific look, that specific feeling that makes Gotham palpable. Gotham is the key to getting the audience into everything else in the story.

Gotham has a specific, almost Tim Burton-y darkness about it. Even the eponymous TV show was able to get that tone and aesthetic right. You have to make it look and feel decaying. Nolan’s Gotham just looks like New York City, it doesn’t have that grit or that blackness. It looks like every other major metropolitan area. It’s not Gotham.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2019 3:27 PM

I beg your pardons, all, but I find several of the comments including OP’s, r3, and r7, to be almost nonsensical. Sentences seem to end in the middle and blunder on into a completely different thought and there are also these copious references to every single iteration of the comic, the films, the individual characters, yet nothing makes very clear sense. Jesus Christ! Take freshman rhetoric and learn to write clearly before you start spouting off about your comic books.

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2019 4:09 PM

Nolan hates comic books thus the problem. He did everything in his power to de-comic book them. Such a bore.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2019 4:13 PM

R14 Agreed. Superhero films don’t work when you try to make them real. That’s the reason why Marvel movies have all been so lucrative while the DC cinematic universe is practically dead.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2019 4:15 PM

That's true about the DC films as r14 and r15 have pointed out. They look dark and joyless. The Marvel heroes are fun, people you would want to hang out with. The DC heroes - save for Wonder Woman - are the types you would avoid at a party.

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2019 5:18 PM

I left feeling depressed watching Nolan’s films. The second one worked better thanks to Ledger adding a bit of color. I’m not asking for the Schumacher ridiculousness but Burton struck the right tone. They were creepy and dark but comic book. He mixed just the right amount. He added some humor to basically Frank Miller’s 1980s take.

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2019 5:37 PM

Yes, Gotham was just NYC which didn't fit. Gotham should be its own city, with all the dark decaying madness to it. The atmosphere of Gotham is such an important part of Batman lore, and they did nothing to try and create that world.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2019 5:42 PM

I found Bale's voice too distracting. It was so gimmicky it took me out of the movie.

I still think Keaton was a great Batman. Not the obvious choice, but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2019 6:29 PM

R19 I hear that criticism a lot, but honestly, I didn’t mind Bale’s voice. It made sense. Why would a guy as smart as Bruce use his normal voice, given it’d be such a dead giveaway. I’d like to see a Batman film where they work in his tech-savy and have him use a voice modulater or something built into his suit to mask his voice.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2019 6:49 PM

Bale sounded like a chain smoker. It was hilariously bad.

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2019 3:00 AM

Nolan made Gotham Chicago. Gotham is NYC. Give me a break with that urban ghetto dwellings shit. The Batman comic came out of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2019 3:01 AM

Nolan purposefully set out to de-comic book Batman and make it a plausible real world concept.

That's what his adaptation tried to say, how would Batman exist a real world thing.

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2019 3:03 AM

And in terms of Gotham, it changed.

In Batman Begins and TDK, Chicago was the stand in for Gotham.

In the The Dark Knight Returns, Nolan switched to using New York.

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2019 3:05 AM

Nolan's films were wildly financially successful r15.

It was the Snyder movies that destroyed the DC universe. And BvS wasn't "real" it just sucked cause Snyder is a hack.

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2019 3:07 AM

People are just over Batman. Unless they do Batman Beyond with Keaton, the gp won’t give a shit. It’s getting like Spider-Man, one reboot after the next. The new upcoming Batman looks like basic cable material. The cast looks like a teen drama.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2019 8:09 AM

Robert Pattinson's become a pretty respected actor as of late. He's very committed, and definitely fearless. He's been winning over the arthouse audience for years and is receiving high praise for his performance in The Lighthouse, and he'll be in Nolan's next film, actually... so all of this should set him up perfectly for Batman. Paul Dano's proven himself to be a great actor and doesn't reek of teen drama at all. Zoe Kravitz is the only question mark for me... she's got that sultry look down, but she's a limited actress... she got to spread her wings a bit in season two of Big Little Lies, but eh... she doesn't excite me... certainly not for a role that Michelle Pfeiffer immortalized.

Anyway, audiences aren't over Batman. Joker just made a shit ton of money, and while Bruce only plays a minuscule role in the film, it proves that the greater mythos is still appealing as long as it's done well. Matthew Reeves has a refreshing knack of imbuing blockbusters with pathos as is evinced by his Planet of the Apes films, and he's honestly the main reason I'm excited for the film.

As for Nolan... well... he changed the game, for better or for worse. He elevated the genre, and few, if any, other comic book films have since accomplished what he did. Batman Begins is a truly great start, and The Dark Knight is exceptional. I still remember the electricity in that theater that opening midnight. I think, on the whole, it still holds up, especially amidst the happy meal factory we've been in for the past decade.

I hate the third film though. Fuck The Dark Knight Rises. You could tell Nolan didn't want to do it. He probably had future plans for Heath, but after his death I'm sure his passion for the franchise died. There's a whole lot of silly, lazy bullshit in the third film, and everyone should be ashamed of themselves except for maybe Tom Hardy, who's campy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 27October 28, 2019 8:29 AM

Batman Begins was good.

The Dark Knight was fantastic, just a brilliant film. Despite Bale's stupid gruff Bat-voice.

The Dark Knight Rises was a miss for me. Anne Hathaway was horrendously miscast as Catwoman, Tom Hardy as Bane was barely understandable and the twist/villain reveal was so obvious it had no impact.

I am incredibly underwhelmed by the casting for the new Batman film, I find Robert Pattinson to be a complete charisma-void and quite unpleasant to look at, and although Zoe Kravitz looks good I have doubts she can embody the character - I think she's going to be another Anne.

Mostly, I'm just disappointed they are doing ANOTHER Batman film already. Imagine how tired we are. Pick one of the hundreds of other characters to focus on, FFS! DC just don't know what to do with their material when it comes to film.

by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2019 10:54 AM

his lousy choice of the tacky mr bale alone should disqualify him as a artistic person.

bale is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2019 12:47 PM

One poster here described The Dark Knight as a “bloated, incoherent mess” and that characterization has not only stuck with me, but I have also applied in other useful situations in real life.

Thank you to whenever you are.

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2019 12:56 PM

Why do they keep casting ugly Brits as Batman?? Pattinson is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2019 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!