Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gas, Electric, or Induction?

Which do you prefer to cook with?

I always heard that gas was the best, but now that I have a gas stove, I hate it. It's too hard to control the heat, and my pans always get too hot.

I'm thinking of switching back to electric.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 5:39 AM

My next range will be induction. 240V wiring is already in place.

I currently have a Whirlpool electric coil top that was here when I moved in.

Gas cooking heats up a kitchen too much and besides, I don’t want to pay a plumber $$$ to pipe a gas line to serve it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 7:37 AM

Here, read this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 11:05 AM

Takeout

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 11:07 AM

Gas, because it's so much cheaper than electricity where I live.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 11:30 AM

Gas is better for baking

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 11:31 AM

OP, gas is so much easier to control. You turn it off, it is off. Not gradually getting less hot like electric. Electric waxes and wanes to maintain a temperature, it's not steady heat. I have a glass top and I can see when it glows and fades. It's constantly cycling. Don't ever get a glass top.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 12:34 PM

Not all gas cooktops are equal. I currently have a thermodor version which has excellent low heat control. I had a JennAir range in my last house and the lowest setting on the smallest burner could boil water within a couple of minutes.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 1:53 PM

Gas because it's easiest to regulate and adjustments are instantaneous.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 1:56 PM

I have cooked for over 25 years on gas stoves. Recently I spent a week cooking for my MIL and other relatives when my FIL passed away. I hated it - it was like learning how to cook all over again. And since it was a flat stovetop, my pans kept sliding all over.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 2:16 PM

Electric induction has the same instant on-off characteristic as gas. Get educated.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 3:52 PM

Any DLers with an induction stove or cooktop?

Do you like it?

What did you have before acquiring it?

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 10:32 PM

Mrs Patmore swears by gas, coal, and wood; however she does it each dish she presents is thrillingly good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 10:41 PM

Just stick to your current method.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 10:41 PM

I prefer to cook, using a grease fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 10:44 PM

I’ve used both electric (glass-ceramic) and gas and I love induction. The control is amazing, and while the cooking surface does get hot, it never gets too hot to burn any boiled-over spillage so cleanup is easy. Induction is particularly useful when cooking on a low temperature — you don’t have to worry about your flame flickering out.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

Gas was quicker and more even, but electric doesn't heat the kitchen up as much and I no longer have the worry in the back of my mind that my stove could accidentally suffocate me in my sleep or blow my apartment up. With electric, the worst cooking mishap I'll have is a dish that cooks too done on the outside and cold on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 11:20 PM

I think most people prefer to bake in an electric oven even if they prefer gas hobs.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 5:33 AM

I prefer gas cooktop and electric oven. I had Miele appliances in that configuration in my last place and miss it so much.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 5:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!