Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael Ontkean, what happened?

Just posted a clip of a Partridge Family song and Michael Ontkean was in the audience making googly eyes at Laurie. I remember him from the Rookies and being drawn to his easy masculinity as a kid. Then being infatuated with him in Slapstick and his famous stripeze on ice down to a jockstrap. That totally made hockey sexy after that.

And of course as the gorgeous Dr. married to Kate Jackson, but falling for Harry Hamlin in Making Love. Was that the reason his career stalled and he only had a few highlighted characters in TV the rest of his life as an actor? And why did he try to prevent The Celluloid Closet from including scenes of Making Love in the documentary?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 1:54 AM

His lack of acting talent caught up with him.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 3:02 AM

I read he retired from acting and lives in Hawaii now. David Lynch tried to get him for the Twin Peaks revival but Ontkean wasn't interested so they cast Robert Forster as his brother to fill the role.

He was terrifying (and super hot) in a TV movie called In A Child's Name with Valerie Bertinelli and a young Chris Meloni (in painted on jeans.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 3:17 AM

Hot as fuck but something off about him.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 3:23 AM

R2 Of god, that scene where the parents wake up in the dark bedroom, but the luminous dye highlights where all the blood was throughout the room is creepy as hell. To know you were in the room she was murdered and that the body/ blood was covering everything is so off putting.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 3:28 AM

He was an action star = limited.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 3:31 AM

What turned him against show biz?

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 3:34 AM

It sounds like he did a David Caruso and Katherine Heigl.

He left The Rookies to go on to become a movie star - he felt that writing was not up to par.

He sounds like he was a diva and difficult - the trifecta when you're a just a pretty face with limited acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 3:35 AM

r4, it's even worse how the parents defended him and slandered the sister and her family knowing he was guilty. Louise Fletcher was at her most hateful.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 3:36 AM

Here’s the whole luminous blood scene from the movie. So many comments are from people seeing it as children and being traumatized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 3:39 AM

r4, well aren't you a delicate little flower...

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 3:40 AM

I could have written a lot of Truman/Cooper slash back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 3:48 AM

R3 I agree. Beautiful man but he seems as if he’s not all there.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 3:48 AM

Speaking of "Making Love," this is from Ontkean's Wikipedia page:

Making Love (1982) is about a married man who discovers his homosexuality. Ontkean was not the director's first choice for the film: Arthur Hiller had previously approached Tom Berenger, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, William Hurt and Peter Strauss to play the lead, before finally approaching Ontkean. According to Hiller, the reaction of most actors was to tell him not to even consider them for the role.[5] The film reunited Ontkean with Kate Jackson; the two had previously co-starred together in The Rookies. Many years later, Ontkean tried to prevent clips from the film from being included in The Celluloid Closet, a 1996 documentary about LGBT characters in film, but he was unsuccessful.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 3:50 AM

I had totally forgotten about him ! I had a huge crush on him back when,I had no idea he was 70!

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 4:08 AM

He had a very very small role in that George Clooney movie The Descendants.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 4:17 AM

You don't kill Valerie Bertinelli's sister and live to have a career.

You guys hate it - but this movie is before my time. Still the movie is on Youtube and it's really badly done once it gets to the courtroom. The pauses... the shots.. the reaction. Val Bertinelli does more hair acting than Farrah could ever be accused of. Ontkean is kind of ridiculous as the villain. Cute for a guy with no legs. A lot of shots with weights but no squats on that man.

BUTT, are you forgetting Chris Meloni's ASS? He plays Val's husband - bubbling out of his very tight 90s fucking jeans? And I only remember that. Scene after scene - he answers the phone, he comforts Val - he looks strong and keep wearing his jeans. That ass.

I just watched this movie in the last year and I only remember the luminal scene and how many times I cum over Meloni in those tight jeans. He got the strong silent supportive husband part that must have been popular when women ruled TV movies? But his ass upstages everyone. Don't you think he knows?

Sidebar: The Betty Broderick Story, Death in Texas (with Farrah and Sam Elliot) and Small Sacrifices are all better than this one with Val and Ontkean. Michael Shea is in some of the others. Who can tell them apart? They're all dead right.

Little Gloria, Happy at Last and The Barbara Hutton Story satisfied me and my boyfriend until we broke the bong. I read all these suggestions here on some thread about TV movies. (Playing For Time - was too much spitting from Vanessa Redgrave and we didn't care when Jan Brady ran away.)

Thanks Datalounge.

Michael Ontkean is not memorable. He should have worked out his ass. He's cross eyed, no?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 4:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 4:50 AM

Disappointing to hear he tried to prevent clips from being included in The Celluloid Closet. I mean, why? There were VHS copies, TV airings. Being associated with a documentary about representation of gays and lesbian in films was that bad? Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 4:57 AM

Chris Meloni wouldn't say no to being featured in a doc about gay characters in TV and film, would he?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 5:09 AM

"Excuse me, but this is my dead sister's baby we're talking about!" - Valerie Bertinelli, actress!

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 5:15 AM

You can achieve easy masculinity in 45 easy steps.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 5:16 AM

We vote no for Michael Ontkean. What kinda name is that anyways?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 5:50 AM

Hey Mr Ontkean, here I am..............

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2019 5:04 AM

I love knowing he lives here in HI. (Kauai). I also love Alexander Payne's, The Descendants. It's also odd that he looks very good in it, and still not pursuing his acting career. I think he could get a few roles if he wanted to today.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2019 8:20 AM

Very average white guy.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2019 8:40 AM

Forgive me, but I have a vague impression of him being a wifebeater or something. Or was that someone else? There’s some reason I don’t like that guy.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2019 8:47 AM

You sound totally clued in r26.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2019 9:17 AM

R26 I think you are confusing him with possibly Gary Oldman, Sean Penn, Michael Fassbender (girlfriend beater = same thing). Maybe Alec Baldwin? Or is he just homophobic?

Anyway, Michael Ontkean, though limited as an actor was gorgeous in his prime and don't forgot he was in Twin Peaks still looking hot (I'm taking about the early years not the recent series which I have not interest in and don't even know if he appears in it).

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2019 9:54 AM

He made a cameo as one of George Clooney's cousins in 2011's "The Descendants." I don't think he even had any lines, but he was in a couple of scenes where the family was meeting to decide whether they should sell their land. Ontkean was living in Hawaii, where the move was filmed, so Clooney talked him into being in the film.

He still looked pretty good, but he had definitely aged.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2019 10:00 AM

I've had a longstanding crush on Michael, and have always thought it was a shame he doesn't act anymore. He is in my top 5 biggest celebrity crushes—I find him ridiculously sexy. I have a weakness for men with brown hair/brown eyes, especially if their hair is wavy/curly like his. It just does it for me. It also doesn't hurt that he's always had a really nice body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2019 10:07 AM

[quote] Hot as fuck but something off about him.

Oh that was just his Canadianness.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2019 10:19 AM

He's still a handsome man in his 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2019 10:20 AM

Not to me, r32 He looks like a stroke victim after a shitload of physical therapy that never completely took.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2019 10:27 AM

The OP is a troll that is trying to get you to say that the reason his career never went anywhere is because he played a gay (or bisexual) man.

Nice try he's also the white guy troll too

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2019 11:57 AM

34 responses and no one brings up Slap Shot?

Bitches, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2019 2:16 PM

R35 Did you even bother to read THE ORIGINAL POST?

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2019 3:03 PM

Whether or not "Making Love" was the cause of his career's decline, it was a milestone in the representation of gays in film, and courageous of him to have taken the role, depicting them as non-threatening, not psychos or freaks and giving the protagonist a happy ending.

Strange that he would have tried to prevent it being used in Celluloid Closet

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2019 3:10 PM

His make-out scene with Harry Hamlin gets me so fucking hot and bothered, it's not even funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2019 12:10 AM

More of beautiful Michael

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2019 12:12 AM

I wonder if he has any Eskimo genes. His eyes have that look. If he does it would be from way back obviously.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2019 12:25 AM

Eskimo genes or not, I would relentlessly pound his skinny ass all the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2019 12:33 AM

Where’s the back view from that strip scene?

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2019 12:51 AM

I don't know R42, the clip seems to cut off but I remember there being a bit more than that.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2019 1:01 AM

Can’t find the rest of the clip either, but here’s a screen cap of what we’re missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2019 1:46 AM

R44 Thanks! Cute ass.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!