Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Impeachment Could Mean Most Presidential Candidates Can’t Leave Washington, Or Talk.

[quote]An impeachment trial would consume every senator’s schedule. Under the Senate’s current rules, all senators must be in session Monday through Saturday, starting at around noon each day. The trial may last several weeks — Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial lasted five — thus taking several candidates off the campaign trail the month before the primaries start.

[quote]That’s a major problem for the six senators running to be the Democratic nominee for president — Cory Booker, Michael Bennet, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren.

No questions, no mugging for the cameras; they must sit in complete silence as jurors when they could be campaigning in Iowa. 😬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2020 12:18 AM

Boo-fucking-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 2:20 AM

They question the witnesses, do they not? Is that all done by the Senate counsel rather than the Senators?

Also do the Supremes slow down? CJ Roberts will be presiding in the Senate trial.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 3:07 AM

r2 No, they don't get to question anyone.

[quote]House lawyers would serve the role of prosecutors, while White House lawyers would be defense counsel. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts would act as judge. Senators would serve as the jury.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 11:18 AM

I'm not American so I don't know, but can't they be represented by a deputy senator of sort?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 11:22 AM

Can a juror in a normal court be represented by a deputy? I'm also not an American, but I don't think that's the case here either, no. Besides, when a senator (or parliamentarians in other countries) can't vote on legislation or whatnot, they can't send a deputy to vote on their behalf either.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 11:27 AM

Does Trump get to talk while they're doing that? Because he can probably win the election for the Dems if they shut up and he talks on.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 11:55 AM

How terrible for them. Instead of flying around the country promoting themselves, they'll have to stay in Washington and DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS!

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 11:59 AM

They've been missing Senate votes as it is...

r6 Don't think he'll testify in person, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 12:02 PM

To be fair to them, R7, that's what the US Presidential election system demands. At this point maybe we're thinking it's not such a great system.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 12:02 PM

That's the value of having surrogates on the campaign trail.

Enter AOC...

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 12:08 PM

[quote] That’s a major problem for the six senators running to be the Democratic nominee for president — Cory Booker, Michael Bennet, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren.

Good!

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 12:12 PM

That was my reaction as well, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 12:14 PM

Perhaps Booker could stand up during the proceedings and perform his little kumbaya spiel, and the nation would be healed instantly. Or something.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 12:16 PM

That works for me!

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 12:37 PM

Lmao how do you get Booker to stop talking about himself?

If this happens, not only is Trump on the road to impeachment, but these losers actually have to WORK.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 6:36 PM

I am much much unhappy about this...

Cory and I will be meeting in the ladies room.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote]Klobuchar says if the Senate holds the trial in January (if the House votes to impeach), her husband and others could campaign on her behalf in Iowa.

😂😂😂

Good luck with that, gurl...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote]Boo-fucking-hoo. —The Constitution of the United States of America

Oh, honey... who listens to you anymore?

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2019 12:44 AM

Oh please. Like McConnell will let it go on that long. Dem candidates have nothing to worry about - it’ll be 10 days at the absolute most, if that.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2019 12:50 AM

We don't call it impeachment. Huh. No. We call it himpeachment. And yes, I was that hostage to that process. Because I was a prosecutor and a Senator and California's first female earth tone Attorney General so that's why I had to take that on. But make no mistake, I was that hostage.

T-shirts now available on KamalaforIowa.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2019 12:57 AM

Anyone who thinks Donald Trump will testify at his impeachment trial is delusional. Hes a coward. He will pull every trick in the book to avoid doing so, while taking to twitter claiming he wants to testify, but the bad Dems are preventing it by creating a perjury trap.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2019 1:08 AM

No great loss, it's too early anyway. In the meantime maybe some of them will drop-off. There's more people onstage than in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2019 1:12 AM

[quote]Impeachment scheduling alert: Senate Intel Chairman Richard Burr says trial will last for "6 to 8 weeks." It will run for 6 days a week, from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m., a big chunk of time for senators also running for president hoping to be in IA, NH or anywhere but DC in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 9:33 PM

^^People are already crying out that those candidates who aren't senators shouldn't campaign at that time, and if they do, that should be disqualifying. And it makes me laugh, because how does that make any sense? Did Beto, Biden, Castro, and other candidates who are currently jobless put their campaigns on hold for those candidates who do have a job?

Honey, you knew exactly what you were signing up for when you agreed to run for president while serving as senator in Trump's presidency. There was a distinct possibility this scenario would happen, and now it looks like it will.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 9:41 PM

This rule should also apply to Biden as well, given that he is a former Vice President and that the issue revolves around him and his family.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 9:43 PM

Please welcome to the stage: PERJURY TRAPPE

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 9:43 PM

Impeachment involves the House of Representatives. It acts as a grand jury, gathering evidence getting testimony from witnesses and experts,etc.and then voting to decide whether to charge the PResident. The Articles of Impeachment are the charges they will develop as a result of the hearings. None of this involves the Senate. The Senate only becomes involved after the House impeaches. The full House will vote on the articles of Impeachment presented by the Judiciary committee.If the House votes to impeach, a trial will be held in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 9:46 PM

r27 Who exactly are you responding to with that primer on impeachment that we're all familiar with, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 9:47 PM

I was responding to the title of the thread. I didn't read through it. So what if I'm repeating what you already know,Miss Thang.Some people might not.Not everyone who posts here is American.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 11:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with the title. The entire process is colloquially known as impeachment, both in the US and abroad, even if that isn't technically correct. "Trial" is too generic a term, after all.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 11:18 PM

Whatever. The point is the Presidential candidates who are Senators, Harris, Klobuchar, Booker, Warren, Sanders, Michael Bennet, are not presently affected by the Impeachment hearings.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 3:09 AM

Yang suggested today that the Democratic senators have already made up their minds anyway, so they might as well not attend the trial and campaign during that time.

[quote]I think Bernie, Cory, and the other senators should feel free to campaign during the impeachment trial if it comes to that. They know enough to know which way they would vote and can always get briefed on new findings.

Super problematic position, to say the least. Imagine if a juror in a regular trial did that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2019 5:37 PM

R32, you have to remember that this impeachment is a political thing. It's not the same thing when you go to your courthouse. The rules are VERY different.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 5:39 PM

I know it's not the same thing but the optics are even more important because it's a political thing. The GOP would be screaming to high heaven if the Dem senators adopted Yang's position. Why bother with the trial then, if the Dem senators themselves treat is as just for show?

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2019 5:44 PM

[quote]Once the House managers and Trump’s counsel begin presenting their cases, senators will find themselves in an unusual setting.

[quote]They’ve been told they must stay seated at their desks for the proceedings with only reading material related to the case and have been admonished to avoid even talking to neighboring senators. Their telephones and other electronic devices will be kept in special cubbies in the cloakrooms, and access to the Senate side of the Capitol will be unusually limited for both reporters and staff. The trial may go on for six days a week.

But... but... mah Twitter and mah Iowa....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2020 11:53 AM

It won't stop Bernie, he's all like

I does what I wan'

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2020 12:11 PM

Senators have been sworn in, trial starts Tuesday. Which means presidential candidates who are senators now have 4 DAYS left to campaign.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2020 8:43 PM

Oh Pleae— the GOP will move to dismiss the charges on Tuesday and it will be over. Remember, it has to be over in time for Trump to gloat at the State of the Union address

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2020 9:35 PM

Jesus Christ, SOTU is scheduled for the day after the Iowa caucuses? Just kill me.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2020 9:39 PM

This made me cackle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2020 10:34 PM

Wait, we can't talk?? But we can chat with Hannity right? Oh Lawdy!

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2020 10:54 PM

"No talking, on pain of imprisonment" - literal words said today in the Senate, I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2020 11:05 PM

And this is a problem, WHY?

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2020 11:41 PM

Frankly the Dems always blow their load too early.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2020 11:55 PM

Liz and Bernie took an oath to be impartial jurors?

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2020 12:00 AM

All 100 of them took an oath, yes. I mean, some might have been absent due to illness or whatever, but all the senators currently running for president were there.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2020 12:21 AM

Warren's designated ass eater is already putting an asterisk on Iowa results in case Bernie or Warren don't win. 🙄

[quote]A question kind of hanging over a close Iowa result: How legitimate is it, with two front-runners trapped in DC? If Biden or Buttigieg edge past Warren or Sanders, isn’t there speculation that the senator could have won had he or she been able to campaign?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]Because of impeachment trial & the other candidates elsewhere, Pete Buttigieg has Iowa completely to himself yesterday and today -- and they're banging out SEVEN town halls across 400 miles and 31 hours... that's not easy!

Fucking hell, he's gonna look a decade older next week. 😬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2020 1:27 AM

^^ NINE town halls. That guy made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2020 1:28 AM

"Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren"

Might be a nice break (for us).

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2020 1:33 AM

Bernie can’t keep his fat old face shut for fifteen seconds, how’s he going to do it for a whole trial?

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2020 2:26 AM

He looked twitchy as fuck on C-SPAN today. It's killing him that he can't campaign.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2020 2:29 AM

It must roast his ass to not have his way. Lol

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2020 3:12 AM

[quote] R2: They question the witnesses, do they not? Is that all done by the Senate counsel rather than the Senators?

They might not even have witnesses!

In the Clinton trial, they gave written questions to the Chief Justice, who read them.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2020 3:59 AM

[quote] R4: I'm not American so I don't know, but can't they be represented by a deputy senator of sort?

The House has managers who prosecute. Trump has A defense team he chooses. No Senators do anything but act as judges/jury.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2020 4:02 AM

The Senators can speak outside of the sessions. They can even distribute copies of speeches they’ve made.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2020 4:07 AM

Ice storm in Iowa until tomorrow night - Biden, Warren, and Delaney had to cancel their events. Mother Nature doesn't give a shit about the fact that the senators only have three days left to campaign...

r56 I mean... was anyone disputing that? The article talks about how they need to be silent during the filmed proceedings, because some people unfamiliar with the matter speculated that it might look like the impeachment hearings where MOCs had viral moments left and right every day. That won't happen here.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2020 6:40 PM

Klobuchar said her husband and daughter would be out in full force campaigning for her in NH

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2020 6:44 PM

No offence to Amy, but I've got no clue what her husband or her daughter look like, and I doubt the voters will be energised enough to turn up in decent numbers to those events. She really is screwed by having no big-name surrogates on the trail.

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2020 6:48 PM

So here's the surrogates plan...

[bold]Sanders:[/bold] Reps. AOC (NY), Tlaib (MI), Omar (MN)

[bold]Warren:[/bold] Reps. Pressley (MA), Porter (CA), Haaland (NM)

[bold]Klobuchar:[/bold] Gov. Walz (MN), husband, daughter, plus tele-town halls

And here are the surrogates stumping for other candidates not caught up in the senate trial...

[bold]Biden:[/bold] Rep. Finkenauer (IA), Fmr. Gov. Vilsack (IA), John Kerry

[bold]Buttigieg:[/bold] Reps. Brown (MD), Loebsack (IA), Kuster (NH)

[bold]Yang:[/bold] Dave Chappelle

Impressed by any of that, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2020 3:18 PM

Yang's already fucking it up...

[quote]Andrew Yang is here at the Giving Tree Theatre in Marion. A staffer intro’ed Yang & greeted the crowd as “Cedar Rapids!” Some people in the crowd yelled ‘it’s Marion!’ This is a totally different town. Yang comes out & does the same thing, greeting “Cedar Rapids!”

Eek! 😬

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2020 9:00 PM

Not impressed at all, R60. For one thing, Pete Buttigieg isn’t a member of the US Senate, so he doesn’t need a “surrogate”.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2020 12:15 AM

No need to be anal, you know what I meant - they'll be campaigning with him.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2020 12:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!