Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Romantic Comedy Series 'Modern Love' on Amazon

Starring Anne Hathaway, Tina Fey, Dev Patel, Catherine Keener, Andrew Scott, Andy Garcia, Julia Garner, John Slattery, Sofia Boutella, Olivia Cooke...

[quote]TV series based on the New York Times' column that explores relationships, love and the human connection.

All eight episodes out October 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 5:09 AM

Created a new thread because the OP of the old one got red-tagged and it looks like a right mess.

The show features a gay couple, so maybe give it a go. 🙂

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 12:43 AM

I will watch only if Dev is part of that gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 1:04 AM

r2 He is not, sadly. But Andrew Scott is and he apparently pulls off a New Yorker really well!

But I totally get what you mean. Dev is so damn handsome...

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 1:14 AM

Olivia Cooke is the new Olivia Thirlby

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 1:22 AM

who plays the gay couple in this show?

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 1:46 AM

r5 Brandon Kyle Goodman and Andrew Scott.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 1:50 AM

Brandon got married in January, it seems.

So glad they got gay actors to play the gay characters. Refreshing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 1:52 AM

Oh boy, this is some hardcore frau shit. Only watch the whole thing if you're super into saccharine romantic stuff.

However, do check out the seventh episode featuring the gay couple, which also happens to be the best of the bunch. And the last, eighth episode, which revisits all the stories of the season. Andrew Scott is amazing and the other actor is super charming as well.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 2:50 AM

Oh good, just found out Andrew Scott is not Adam Scott.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2019 2:05 AM

Looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2019 2:22 AM

R7 Brandon's hubby looks like a tiny Jon Hamm in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2019 12:03 PM

I watched seven out of eight episodes today and just... meh. I actually wish there could be something more about daddy issues in the Julia Garner episode. But guess a May-December romance would be too much for its fraubase.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2019 12:12 PM

Except for they gay episode, I thought it was unwatchable. But I firmly believe you might benefit from it if you're a person who is super into romantic relationships in your own life. Which I am not. Because the writing is pretty mature and so you might find yourself in some of the storylines and gain some insight/catharsis from them.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2019 12:19 PM

I could only stomach one episode, the first one, with the doorman. It was just too weird. But these are supposed to be true stories, no?

Does anyone remember which series features a character who lives in that same Park Slope building, the Copley Plaza? Was it in Mrs. Maisel?

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2019 12:19 PM

The first episode rubbed me the wrong way. Did anyone else find it oddly... classist? That doorman's entire existence was presented as something only there to prop up that frau. He seemingly had no life of his own and no interactions with other people. The narcissism of it all...

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2019 12:25 PM

I enjoyed it for the most part. The Anne Hathaway episode not so much.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2019 12:39 PM

I thought Brandon Kyle Goodman was an angel. Maybe that’s the way he is in real life. That homeless girl was awful and reminded me of Abrasive Juno.

I thought Ann Hathaway did a great job, except the Broadway fantasies were a bit much. She reminded me a lot of my bipolar friend and usually actors can’t capture bipolar at all.

The rest was dull and Woody Allen territory of affluent New Yorkers eating at fancy restaurants all the time.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2019 12:49 PM

If anyone didn't recognize it, the gay adoption story was based on Dan Savage's experience adopting his son. Originally told in his book The Kid, he later wrote a Modern Love column about the ongoing experiences with the birth mother that was adapted into this. The fact that they changed the title from the original column, unlike every other episode, indicates just how sanitized it was versus the real story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2019 1:17 PM

r18 Oh, god, he's everywhere. I hate that story now.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2019 1:20 PM

So were all the weird vignettes in the last episode part of the original stories, or were they made up to shoehorn the whole thing together? And are we to assume that the Jane Alexander’s character gets ill and dies from exposure of running in the rain wearing funeral clothes so she can be with her last great love? This was just so disappointing, how did they manage to muck it up when it had such great provenance and possibility?

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2019 4:21 AM

I binge-skimmed the entire season, wherein you watch episodes but fast forward through sections that are dull.

It was tedious, but I kept thinking that it got some bigger name stars, so it's got to have a few good episodes.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2019 4:29 AM

[quote]I binge-skimmed the entire season, wherein you watch episodes but fast forward through sections that are dull.

Thanks, r21. We would [italic]never[/italic] have guessed what "binge-skimmed" meant.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote]Thanks, [R21]. We would never have guessed what "binge-skimmed" meant.

Well r22, I was distinguishing between simply binging or skimming it, either of which might have been done without having done both.

But, glad to know that you were able to figure it out without any guidance - you get an "A" for perspicacity.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2019 4:44 AM

How is Diana Neal in it? Seeing her picture in OP made me realize how much I missed her since she left SVU.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2019 4:50 AM

[quote]How is Diana Neal in it? Seeing her picture in OP made me realize how much I missed her since she left SVU.

Huh? For me at any rate, OP's pic is of AnnE Hathaway riding a bike.

Diane Neal from SVU isn't in the series, as far as I recall unless it's a small bit part.

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2019 4:57 AM

Where was David S. Pumpkins, I thought that was going to be an annual thing?

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2019 5:01 AM

^^^ Sorry, wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2019 5:02 AM

That photo looks a lot more like Diane Neal than Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2019 5:05 AM

And yet, it's AnnE Hathaway in the photo.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2019 5:06 AM

Perhaps Hathaway has had surgery to make her look more like Diane Neal.

Some people become obsessed like that and have plastic surgery to look more like some celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2019 12:55 PM

Looks like one step above Lifetime shit.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2019 1:30 PM

Watching the Daddy episode with Shea Whigham. The girl is a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 5:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!