Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elton John Criticizes Lion King Remake: “They Messed the Music Up”

“In a new interview with British GQ, Elton John shared some choice words about this year’s remake of The Lion King, which starred Beyoncé, Donald Glover, and more. “The new version of The Lion King was a huge disappointment to me, because I believe they messed the music up,” he said. After providing songs for the 1994 film, John added, “Music was so much a part of the original and the music in the current film didn’t have the same impact. The magic and joy were lost.”

John continued, “The soundtrack hasn’t had nearly the same impact in the charts that it had 25 years ago, when it was the bestselling album of the year,” he said. “The new soundtrack fell out of the charts so quickly, despite the massive box-office success.”

In addition to the new film’s standard soundtrack—which featured John’s previous compositions like “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” as well as his new original “Never Too Late”—a companion album, The Lion King: The Gift, was released. It was curated by Beyoncé and featured Kendrick Lamar, JAY-Z, Tierra Whack, Childish Gambino, and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 4:01 PM

He's such a bitter queen.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2019 3:18 AM

Always a bitch.

But he's occasionally correct.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2019 3:22 AM

He’s such a bitch I wonder if he posts here.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2019 3:35 AM

He then put a tiara on his mane-like wig and screamed “I am the Lyin’ Queen!”

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2019 3:50 AM

Who told him that using a brick for rouge would work?

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2019 3:56 AM

He’s right and I give him that

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 4:37 AM

He’sbeing Rightfully called out on social media as a racist for this.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2019 4:47 AM

Why is this EltonJohnalounge now?

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2019 5:10 AM

Talk to me when there’s a website that’s After Elton.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2019 5:11 AM

People just say stuff just to say stuff. How many have you actually listened to Beyonce presents The Gift. How many?? Be honest. It was a flop but how many of you actually gave it try. So how are you evaluating it. How as the magic and joy lost. Please discuss...Thats what I fkin thought.

This film didn't have an official soundtrack besides Beyonce's interpretation of it. And she gave a wonderful rendition of Can you feel the love tonight, which is not on the album but featured in the film.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 5:13 AM

He's not wrong

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 5:59 AM

R10 Can You Feel The Love Tonight was terrible. And on top of that, the fucking scene was during the daytime.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 9:13 AM

I don’t know from “The Lion King”, but I’m spitting nails about Jennifer Hudson straining to eke out “Memory” for the live/CGI film version of “CATS”.

But of course you can’t say a word because “that’s RACESSS!”

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 10:06 AM

It's funny how now a days things can be enormous hits but not have any impact. This remake made tons of money but no one talks about it. It was quickly forgotten. No one cared about the music. 25 years ago, the original was huge. Times are so different.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 11:53 AM

He's a gutsy old thing. I love him.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 12:03 PM

Never end a sentence with a preposition, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 1:23 PM

All these soundtracks for cartoons suck including the first lion king. Even as a kid I knew it was lame.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 1:40 PM

I agree with him. Most egregious fuck-up was "Can You Feel the Love Tonight".

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 2:47 PM

He’s right. It was a soulless piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 2:56 PM

Elton, darling. How can we miss you if you won't go away?

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 2:58 PM

Elton, I love you, you acid-tongued bitch. The bitch is back! and right.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 3:57 PM

He’s preparing to flog two new musicals he’s co-written.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!