Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gabourey Sidibe

Say what you want about her, but she's looking really good these days.

For a girl who will probably always be "big boned," Gabby has made a pretty incredible transformation.

You're next, Chrissy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2019 8:26 PM

She looks tremendous!

Literally, tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 11:43 PM

I wonder how much weight she lost, in total?

Girl is looking GOOD.

And she didn't make a big fuss about it, like that stupid cow OPRAH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 11:46 PM

Thankfully, she realized she needed to make a change.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 11:46 PM

Look, fat people, it CAN be done!

I'm happy for her. She looked grotesque before and would not have lived to see 40.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 11:48 PM

Wow. She’s lost almost as much as i have on my journey!

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 11:48 PM

Gabby actually has pretty good taste in fashion, so she's probably loving the transformation.

Better to expand the wardrobe, than the waist line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 11:49 PM

That picture at R2 is pretty fucking amazing.

She doesn't look like the same person.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 11:49 PM

She's a beautiful woman. After her weight loss surgery, she started working with a nutritionist and a trainer.

Good for her for choosing to live a healthy lifestyle and for putting in the work necessary to do so.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Good, good for her.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 11:52 PM

[quote] and for putting in the work necessary to do so

That's a huge part of it.

If she's not careful, she could gain the weight back, like Carney Wilson or Ricky Lake.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

This is clearly a DataLounge first. A thread about a plus size woman of color that is not evil or bitchy, but complementary.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

Couldn't she have done it without the weight loss surgery?

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 11:54 PM

She's putting that Empire money to good use.

Gastric bypass surgery, personal trainer, nutritionist, and a new wardrobe.

She probably has had or will have skin removal surgery at some point, and that's going to cost money.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 11:56 PM

"As Sidibe pointed out in her memoir, This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare, she didn’t want to face the same fate as her brother, who now has Type 2 Diabetes. So when she lost and gained back 60 pounds, surgery was an easy option.

“My surgeon said they’d cut my stomach in half,” she wrote in her book. “This would limit my hunger and capacity to eat. My brain chemistry would change and I’d want to eat healthier. I’ll take it! My lifelong relationship with food had to change. The surgery wasn’t the easy way out. I wasn’t cheating by getting it done. I wouldn’t have been able to lose as much as I’ve lost without it.”

“I just didn’t want to worry,” Sidibe added to People magazine. “I truly didn’t want to worry about all the effects that go along with diabetes. I genuinely [would] worry all the time about losing my toes.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 11:57 PM

[quote]She's a beautiful woman.

Let's not go off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 11:57 PM

[quote] Couldn't she have done it without the weight loss surgery?

Probably not.

It's nearly impossible to be able to start exercising, at the weight she was at.

If you watch the 600 pound life show, they have to start with dieting, to show that they're serious. That's the first motivator. Then they have the surgery. After that, they have to continue to show progress, through diet and exercise. If they are successful, then they become candidates for skin surgery.

It's a long, grueling process, which is why R8 is exactly right about "putting in the work." It is most definitely WORK.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 11:59 PM

She was a major bitch even when she was fat so I can't imagine how insufferable she must be now when she actually looks kind of presentable.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 12:01 AM

She's a radiant beauty now!

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 12:04 AM

Another before and after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote] She was a major bitch even when she was fat so I can't imagine how insufferable she must be now when she actually looks kind of presentable.

Maybe the transformation will make her nicer.

Part of her being a bitch could have been that she was unhappy with herself.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 12:06 AM

she's a very good actress

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 12:06 AM

Whatever!

She's still no Tom Holland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 12:07 AM

I loved her in Coven.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 12:07 AM

Good for her. It's great to see someone look healthier. Glad she took her potential health issues seriously.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 12:09 AM

[quote] I loved her in Coven.

I forgot about that!

Does her weight loss mean that she can no longer be Queenie? She won't look the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 12:10 AM

Queenie was one of my favorites in Coven.

But she died permanently in Hotel I believe

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 12:11 AM

I have no idea who she is, but good for her nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 12:12 AM

She came back for AHS Cult R26, if I'm not mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Sorry not AHS Cult. I meant AHS Apocalypse.

In the final episode, the Billy Lourde character warned her not to stay in that hotel, thereby saving her life.

So she changed history for Queenie, which means she is still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 12:16 AM

I think Queenie's death was reversed in Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 12:16 AM

Great progress for her. Hopefully she is the healthier person she wants to be. Given her talent it should also help her get more acting gigs.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 12:18 AM

Can only imagine the loose skin plopping out after the spanx come off.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 12:23 AM

Would Gaby have enough loose skin for a very special vagina cape?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 12:29 AM

Gurl, stay away from the bread.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 12:41 AM

Is she smaller than Oprah now?

I wonder if Oprah is jealous?

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 12:47 AM

When you lose a thousand pounds and now the only thing everyone notices is that you have an unpleasant looking face.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 12:59 AM

Her arms! She looks like she has never exercised in her life. If she would just do moderate cardio she could build some muscle and then have the excess skin removed.

I am happy for her. She deserves to have a happy, healthy life.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 1:45 AM

Of course she went the easy route and had most of her stomach removed. I don't admire her. Anybody can lose weight when they cut out most of their stomach. And she's still big as a house.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 1:50 AM

I liked her better when she was fatter, now she just looks like a typical fat person

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 1:56 AM

Dear Gabby is so precious to me at any weight. Mo'Nique still gotta lose the pounds and the fucking attitude.

--Oprah

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 1:57 AM

Twins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 5:04 AM

Damn, Oprah needs to lose a few!

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 5:47 AM

She’s still morbidly obese. Hope she can eventually get to a healthy weight.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote]Of course she went the easy route and had most of her stomach removed. I don't admire her. Anybody can lose weight when they cut out most of their stomach. And she's still big as a house.

People bitched and moaned because she was too "fat" and now that she has lost and weight it's "not enough" and "not the right way."

She has a personal trainer and a nutritionist and unlike some other people who have had the surgery she has [italic]managed to keep it off for three years[/italic] so far so good for her.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2019 6:19 AM

Instead of being the size of Jupiter, she is now the size of Saturn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2019 6:23 AM

She still can't be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2019 6:27 AM

I'm really happy for her! She wasn't "just" fat, she was truly one of the unhealthiest celebrity cases I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure, she would have suffered severe health problems very soon, so I don't care if she was "cheating" or not - there's a point where it's not about doing it "right" anymore, just about surviving, basically. I hope her weight loss encourages her to continue her journey and get into a normal weight range.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2019 6:28 AM

R44 three years is actually normal for the surgery. It is ten years later that she will likely be fat again.

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2019 2:09 PM

I don’t mind Gabby. Obviously the roles available to her are very limited but she’s worked constantly and is humble.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2019 2:14 PM

Is Gabby a lesbian?

Just wondering. She's best friends with Jussie, and also never been linked with a guy.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2019 8:27 PM

A fat girl is friends with a gay guy?

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 8:33 PM

She's looking great! All that sagging skin will need to be taken off, eventually. I admire her.

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2019 8:34 PM

Gabourey has a trainer and access to the kind of support that will help her keep the weight off. It is difficult--it takes a lot for a body's set point to readjust itself, but she's doing it for her health, which tends to have a better prognosis than doing it for other reasons.

I had a friend who had the surgery to control her diabetes and the weight's stayed off, but she didn't weigh as much in the first place and her eating issues weren't as major. You get people who get the surgery and then binge--even though it's extremely *painful* to do so. That's a psychological issue there.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2019 8:41 PM

"Well, that's a load off!"

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2019 9:46 PM

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2019 9:55 PM

LOL R54

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2019 9:59 PM

Of course R51. This way they can share caftans.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2019 10:01 PM

The thing I don't get is fashion bloggers (and other gems of Twitter) cheering her on back in the day, saying how FABULOUS (always, though not exclusively, used in conjunction with fat celebs) she looks, when she was obviously clinically obese and a clear and present danger to herself. Enablers, the lot of them.

They're now doing the exact same thing to Metz.

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2019 10:09 PM

It’s an attempt at being politically correct R58. They don’t want the backlash any negatively may generate.

You’re absolutely correct in that they are enablers.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2019 10:12 PM

Isn't that showbiz, though?

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2019 10:12 PM

Be that as it may, R58. I still think that Gabourey has a great sense of personal style.

I especially love how she embraces her African heritage.

Maybe people were just responding to her fashion sense, and not necessarily her looks. There IS a difference, you know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2019 10:18 PM

She certainly dresses worlds better than Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2019 10:19 PM

What's great about Gabourey is that she really tries to make the best out of what she has to work with.

Her styling here is definitely on-point. Head to toe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2019 10:21 PM

She looks good. I'm glad she is getting her health under control and wish her well on her journey.

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2019 10:27 PM

R48, Weight loss from just the surgery usually maxes out at around 18 months. At this point her weight is a result of her diet and exercise regimen or rather the fact that she hasn't gained it all back. If she loses more it will be related to that. Some people gain all of their weight back within 6 years but that's because they stopped worrying about their diet and exercise.

R59, There's a whole market/industry for plus sized women. Sometimes it's not being "PC," it's because they think she is dressed well for her size. A huge chunk of Christian Siriano's fame is based on the fact that he doesn't shy away from dressing larger women well.

The one time I remember backlash from her styling was when Karl Lagerfeld shot her for Bazaar before she lost weight. People generally seemed to feel like he was mocking her or didn't have any clue what to do with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2019 10:36 PM

Queenie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2019 10:36 PM

[Quote] Some people gain all of their weight back within 6 years but that's because they stopped worrying about their diet and exercise.

Are you talking about people who've had half their stomach removed? Or ones that have had less extreme procedures?

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2019 11:09 PM

I really like her a lot. I think she’s a beautiful person no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2019 11:25 PM

I LOVE GABOURAY DONTSITONME!!

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2019 11:29 PM

Good for her. I wonder if they'll ever do a film adaption of the sequel to Precious/Push. The main character in the book is her son and Precious appears briefly in the beginning of the book before succumbing to AIDS.

I'm actually glad Queenie's death (as well as Misty Day's death) was undone in Apocalypse. People were pissed when she was easily dispatched in Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2019 1:11 AM

[quote]People were pissed when she was easily dispatched in Hotel.

Apparently Emma Roberts was supposed to be killed in "Hotel" (there are even articles with her talking about how excited she was to return) but she had to drop out of shooting last minute and Ryan asked Gabourey who did it.

She agreed to use one of the three episodes of other shows they let her do away from Empire to do it. (She used the other two for Difficult People which she once was a recurring on until Empire upgraded her contract to regular and she chose that show.)

She's still one of his favorites.

The girl was smart to foster relationships with Lee Daniels and Ryan Murphy. They'll both keep her working as long as she wants.

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2019 2:26 AM

Is Gabby really a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2019 8:19 PM

I think she's sarcastic. But surely gay men understand a fat woman with a sharp tongue?

by Anonymousreply 73October 18, 2019 8:22 PM

Rofl, here she is appearing on WWHL with Andy Cohen.

She seems pretty annoyed with Jussie Smollett. Then again, who could blame her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2019 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!