Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone doing Keto on DataLounge?

Any tips? Any thoughts on snack substitutes?

Partner and I are doing it. We're down about 7 pounds each and know we need to start thinking about ways to make it more sustainable , affordable, and healthy.

But I miss Doritos.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Yes, there are many keto queens on DL and keto threads are always popular.

Could never do it myself; I live and breathe fruit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 10:52 PM

Yep. For years now. What are you wanting to know/having trouble with?

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote]But I miss Doritos.

Try these. I've tried other companies like "moon cheese" - hated them. These are the best to me, but the only flavor I liked was the blue bag - it has seeds baked into it. The plain was too salty and I've never tried the Rosemary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Easy snacks: Macadamia, Brazil nut, Pecan nut, cheese. Also, and avocados are extremely filling.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 11:00 PM

...eggs and avocados ....

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 11:01 PM

FWIW R3, I'm pretty sure the plain ones (too salty though they may be) are re-packaged for Trader Joes.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 11:17 PM

R6, I actually just order them online. I don't really go to TJ's, so I've never had the chance to see them in stores. A friend gave me some and I just loved them. A few go a long way when you're looking for something with a crunch and I'm not a fan of pork rinds.

I have a few with some keto chocolate and I'm satiated.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 11:42 PM

Nuts are your best friend for snacking of you're on the Keto diet. Low carbs, low sugar, and low on saturated fat.

I recommend Planters Nutrition for Men. They have available about 4 different combos of nuts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 11:56 PM

R2, what are natural (non-expensive snack) alternatives you use to stay keto? What do you use for fruit and vegetables?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 11:57 PM

I'm the one who eats the cheese crisps. I don't know if I could ever be strict keto because I love fruit. It's not that I go overboard, but I love things like pineapple/melon/papaya, and eating a cube doesn't cut it for me. I'm probably around 35-40g carbs.

I avoid bread, rice, pasta, etc, but fruit, I will never give up and i lost weight because I just don't eat much. B: Two eggs/fruit/avocado (9a)L: Bulletproof coffee (1p) Dinner: Protein/veg/oil/tea Snack: cheese crisps/keto chocolate(5pm). I eat nothing after 5:30p. Just drink water/black coffee/seltzer/tea.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 12:10 AM

Kiss your metabolism goodbye after you go off it!

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 12:16 AM

a good peanut butter such as Santa cruz brand mixed with some pure cocoa, stevia and heavy cream make a good nosh when you crave something sweet

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 12:19 AM

R9 I eat a lot of leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, mostly raw. For snacks, I have salami or pepperoni, cheese cubes, green olives or raw vegetables with avocado mash dip. Not everyone goes well with dairy though, it stalls some people. If I’m craving a hit of sweet, I do the can whip cream in a cup with peanut butter powder sprinkled on it. I have a Keto coffee in the morning, miso soup for a snack, meat and vegetables for lunch then snack foods in the afternoon. I only eat for an 8 hour window a day. If you like cheese crisp type stuff I put globs of cheese in my sandwich press and thin them out and cook until they’re crisp.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote][R9] I eat a lot of leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, mostly raw. For snacks, I have salami or pepperoni, cheese cubes, green olives or raw vegetables with avocado mash dip.

Do people need to wear a hazmat suit around you?

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 6:34 PM

I tried keto for a couple of months and lost two stone. I found it really difficult to stick to though because I found it limiting, and I also have a bit of a sweet tooth. I do intend to go back to it - I’ve bought a keto recipe book, which I’m going to paw through and use to make weekly meal plans that I change as and when I like. Hopefully that extra effort will pay off.

I relish any advice from long-term ketoers. x

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]I tried keto for a couple of months and lost two stone.

We speak 'murican 'round here, Jeeves! Try again!

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 6:44 PM

In all seriousness, R15. Even if you have a sweet tooth, there are tons of options. What's your go-to? I mean there are keto brownie/cake recipes or mixes. I'm a terrible cook, so I order keto baking mixes where the main ingredient is usually a nut or seed flour.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 6:47 PM

This woman is an insanely good (mostly) keto cook. Tons of desserts you never thought you could have again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Ooh, they look good - I’m bookmarking that, thank you.

R16 - Two stone is just under 13kg, you metric heathen.

R17 - I usually just have sugar-free gummy bears if I fancy something sweet when I’m doing keto. They’re terrible for you, and they give me the shits. x

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 6:59 PM

Good keto snacks are: pickles, olives, pepperoni, cheese, celery sticks, pork rinds, cheese crisps.

I love nuts, but have trouble with portion control. Also, sugar substitutes tend to give me cravings, so beware - you might be the same way.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 7:11 PM

I wish I liked pork rinds. I've tried, but they just don't do it for me. I love crunchy chips and popcorn...these are hard to replace, so I just don't. I feel like if you eat well 90% of the time and can mostly stay disciplined, it's ok to cheat once in awhile. But I never had a ton of weight to lose.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 7:31 PM

R21, sometimes I do popcorn. I like to eat pork rinds with some sort of dip, usually Sonny and Joe's baba ghannouj.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 9:23 PM

Popcorn is about as far from keto as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2019 7:43 PM

Yes, don't lose your cardiologists contact information.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2019 7:44 PM

R16, two stone is 28 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2019 7:57 PM

You can find Keto Doritos (substitutes) at most grocery stores they are kinda gross. Keto chips etc. They are expensive compared. You can get some quality pork rinds that taste decent. If you miss a cheese crunch try the parmesan crisps etc. Problem with all of those is they are calorie heavy.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2019 8:01 PM

Is Keto just the new Atkins?

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2019 8:02 PM

Yes, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2019 8:11 PM

New Atkins in popularity, but not in execution. Way more fat and lower protein on Keto

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2019 8:41 PM

Keto and Atkins are nothing alike. Atkins is high protein, Keto is high fat. Keto, when done correctly, is much better for you than Atkins, you can do keto as a vegan or vegetarian (granted it is harder but still doable) vs Atkins. The principle is similar - changing a high carb diet to either high protein or high fat. Keto also concentrates on eating clean and macro nutrients (again when done right).

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2019 9:06 PM

People who don't understand low carb diets think those who do it just gorge on giant steaks and sticks of butter.

I

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2019 2:16 AM

You can't cheat on keto.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2019 2:27 AM

I've been on a modified Keto since the spring and have had lots of success. I've "cheated" 3 times and it hasn't affected me. I plan to cheat when my birthday comes up and probably at least once during the holidays. I've made the decision that if you don't cheat every once in awhile, it will drive you insane. I miss the fuck out of bread and cake, but the 3 times I've "cheated" have allowed me to get over the difficult days.

But the thing is, on those days I've "cheated" it wasn't really that much of cheat in the grand scheme of things.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote] I've made the decision that if you don't cheat every once in awhile, it will drive you insane. I miss the fuck out of bread and cake, but the 3 times I've "cheated" have allowed me to get over the difficult days.

Absolutely agree with this. If you don't allow yourself the occasional "splurge," you fail. The day I know I'm going to eat what I shouldn't, I workout more. My weaknesses are pizza and pasta, esp., Fettuccine Alfredo - fill a bathtub with that stuff and I'll eat it all

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2019 2:55 AM

You can cheat on Keto - there are supplements you can take that will get you back in ketosis.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2019 2:57 AM

What supplements?

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2019 3:01 AM

Ketone Salts.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2019 3:04 AM

Watch your breath! Serious keto dieters develop "keto breath" and it is NASTY. My brother has lost a lot of weight on it but his breath could stop a CLOCK!

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2019 3:11 AM

Best snacks are olives, nuts, celery and carrot sticks (weigh them) and baked egg bites.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2019 3:35 AM

EVERYONE is doing Keto on DL.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2019 7:30 AM

Just break up with your partner acrimoniously, and you'll lose another 20 lbs with ease.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2019 8:56 AM

R33 R34 Guys, if you still have such strong cravings, maybe you're doing something wrong. Rejecting sugar and carbs made me lose all cravings, I even started to find the thought of sugar disgusting. For me the only difficult occasion was social eating because the vast majority of people expect you to eat carbs with them.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2019 5:28 PM

R42, I’m not sure where you got that I have strong cravings. I said that I have cheated 3 times while on my modified version of Keto. It keeps me sane and focused. If I’m going to a nice restaurant with friends, I’m going to enjoy myself and not count carbs for the evening. That’s not a craving, it’s a choice that has kept me on the path to my goal and yields better results than something that is restrictive.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2019 8:56 PM

I’ve found a delicious keto eggnog recipe and it’s delicious, so I’m set for the winter. x

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2019 9:21 PM

R43 If you say so ....😉👍

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2019 11:48 PM

R43 illustrates the Keto Struggle.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2021 7:12 PM

Does it really screw up your metabolism badly?

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2021 8:20 PM

I think all those "keto desserts" do dieters a great disservice by keeping them in the sweet tooth loop.

You need to think of eating in a whole new way.

Also, I could never give myself a cheat day. Sugar is to me what alcohol is to an alkie. One slip-up and it's back to the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2021 1:08 AM

I've got a Keto headache currently that does not amuse.

by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2021 6:28 PM

I would recommend a mix of keto and meditteranian diet.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2021 9:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!