Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Religious quotes on work email

Does anyone else receive these?

I have at least five co-workers whose email signatures include their names, title, and a religious quote.

Here are a few examples...

This one guy has two quotes:

[quote] “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

[quote] “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

And another lady has this one:

[quote] “Commit your way to the LORD,. Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass.” Ps 37:5

I work for a government agency, so is this even allowed? I'm not too bothered by it, but it also seems like if someone WAS bothered by it, then it shouldn't be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 6:40 AM

It's work (even government) correspondence and it is inappropriate. It should be forwarded to HR. It's one thing to have a sign in your cubicle - but this is unprofessional and against the law.

Send it to HR. I doubt these people have it removed from external emails, which is a huge deal. Ask HR what the policy is - just for clarification. Ask them what you can put into your emails - under the guise of trying to be compliant.

They will handle it and put a stop to it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Peace be with you, OP. If you are so angry you can relieve yourself by going out and killing something.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Completely inappropriate!

Where is your supervisor?

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 9:39 PM

I'd put on the list of Things To Deal With When Everything Else More Important Gets Fixed.

Then, when everything else more important gets fixed, deal with this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Let he who is without sin start behaving like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 9:46 PM

Of course, you could do the passive aggressive thing and reply, "I'm assuming you used the wrong email account by accident, as I'm sure you are aware that religious proselytizing on a government account violates the law. I'll wait to respond until you send me the message in a proper form. In the meantime, I've made a donation in your name to the Church of Satan and to Atheists for Ron Reagan. Blessings...."

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2019 9:47 PM

In which flyover provincial shothole town do you live, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2019 9:48 PM

In God We Trust.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 9:49 PM

I actually live in LA, R7.

If you don't think that religious fundies live everywhere in the country, then YOU are the one who is insular.

R6, you bitches always give the best advice!

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2019 9:50 PM

You could reply with a bible quotation of your own, namely:

[quote]Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

[quote]6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 9:53 PM

Oh, L.A. Are the office fundy fraus Catholic Latinas?

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2019 9:55 PM

How long before we become a theocratic autocracy? The needle keeps moving. Sorry you have this bs coming at you OP.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2019 9:55 PM

OP, have a blessed day.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2019 9:57 PM

Add Song of Solomon 8:8 to your email, OP. "We have a little sister and she has no breasts. What shall we do for her on the day of her betrothal?"

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 10:04 PM

Nothing wrong with it

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 10:08 PM

Be thankful, OP, that you don't share your office with Tashfeen Malik.

Tashfeen didn't like the Office Christmas Party so she got her guns and killed 14 of the office staff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 10:13 PM

Time to speak to the manager, OP. Do it now-- before someone does it for you.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 10:17 PM

You should use the Prudence Pingleton "bible quote" from the 2007 movie hairspray.

It always cracks me up when Allison Janney is supposedly reading from the bible and says, "You must give your father wine, and you must lay with him." Rofl!

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 10:18 PM

The OP is perfect and above criticism.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 10:20 PM

Try to find the corporate policy about appropriate email signatures. We have one. Most big companies do.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 10:21 PM

To continue what R20 write, find the pertinent policies this violates and report the individuals via the anonymous tip line or site. Many companies and government agencies have those.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 10:30 PM

Would you rather wish they told you to go to hell?

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote] Would you rather wish they told you to go to hell?

I'd rather they didn't say anything to me at all.

I didn't solicit their advice or words of wisdom, so they should just shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 10:36 PM

In my company, they would be 'counseled' and would end up being fired if they continued it. But it doesn't actually bother me. Lots of the cashiers at my grocery store wish me "a blessed day". I'll take any kind thoughts I can get.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 10:38 PM

R23 You need to share your philosophies with them.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 10:39 PM

I’ve had this three times, in various versions. One: a staff member of mine said “God Bless You” at the end of every customer interaction. I told her it didn’t bother me (it doesn’t) but it would bother someone and then I’d need to do something. I suggested she stop, but she didn’t, and her employment was terminated after a customer complained. Two: Had a staff member who put bible quotes in their email signature. I advised this was not appropriate as it didn’t meet the authorized signature block options the organization offered and requested they change it. They refused, their employment was terminated. Three: I had a staff member who was a devout Catholic. Laws changed and we were required to accept child support and welfare claims from same sex couples. He said he could not serve those customers as it was in conflict with his religious beliefs. I gave him the option to resign or do the work, that he was employed in a government job where he had agreed in writing to administer policy in an apolitical, unbiased manner when he took the job. He claimed religious discrimination. He lost. His employment was terminated. OP just alert HR under the guise of “for my own clarification” as R1 said. Just make sure you’re squeaky clean, in case they get bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 10:52 PM

Damn, R26.

Your office is HARD CORE!

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 10:56 PM

Are you squeaky clean, OP, or just an intolerant office narc?

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2019 10:56 PM

Before the next office party send them an email reminding them not to eat shellfish, rabbit, or pork and not to use mixed seed or fabrics. Of course, they shall not eat fat from ox, sheep, or goat either. Once you eliminate half of the items from their proverbial trough, their heads will explode

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2019 11:00 PM

You should send an anonymous email with the riddle:

What's white and shoots out of the sky? The coming of the Lord

That would make the person stop.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2019 11:02 PM

Respond by putting your special pronouns in your sig.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2019 11:03 PM

The leeway given to religious nutcases in the US is outrageous

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2019 11:10 PM

Send a long detailed email to your office friends on how you spent Sukkot. Maybe that will send the right message.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote] Send a long detailed email to your office friends on how you spent Sukkot

I'd rather say, "Have fun at your pagan Saturnalia celebration!" in December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2019 11:14 PM

R27, not really. Just full of spoiled entitled lifers who forget they are there to perform tasks. I start off nice. But I turn into a petty slut after a few passes.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2019 11:23 PM

R11, Catholic Latinas don't go around quoting passages from the Bible because they've never cracked one open. It's the Pentacostal Latinos that spout Bible verses on the trains and street corners.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2019 11:25 PM

Just add your own:

"For God so loved the World, He committed suicide, and will destroy it all later."

-- New Testament

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2019 11:28 PM

This is a matter for your management to decide whether it's a problem or not. They can establish an email policy prohibiting all personal expressions, including religious and political, or they can let it ride. Depends on whether there are any objections, and whether they have a spine.

It's considered religious proselytizing, and proselytizing is allowed in the workplace up to/until it becomes a disruption or employees/customers are being harassed. At that point the employer is allowed to set limits, as long as they are applied evenly and not solely focused on religious expression. Example: if they're forbidden to embed religious quotes in their email, they're also forbidden to hawk Girl Scout cookies, Tupperware, or the MLM du jour as well.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2019 11:39 PM

[quote] Example: if they're forbidden to embed religious quotes in their email, they're also forbidden to hawk Girl Scout cookies, Tupperware, or the MLM du jour as well.

Well that could open up a whole can of worms.

The fraus will be PISSED, if they can't get their Girl Scout Cookies!

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2019 11:44 PM

I receive a lot of emails from military people in my job. So many of them have biblical tag lines. The marines use a lot of the biblical stuff and a lot of flat out offensive worship of weapons and military destruction. Which is kind of funny because they are supply people who experience no combat.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote] Just add your own:

"For God so loved his creation, he sacrificed his only begotten son as a savior and sacrifice for all mankind. Christ made that sacrifice as an inspirational act for those who would follow and emulate his path, and in fulfillment of the scripture.

Personally, I think mankind was such a disappointment to God that he sent his Son as he did, to serve as an example, that others would follow.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 12:16 AM

As for cookies, I’m reminded that the children born by Mormons are the only group which are automatically enrolled as Boy Scouts, with no application necessary. I have no idea why that it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 12:19 AM

OP quotes from the book of Satan is your answer.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 12:49 AM

If your genitals have been damaged, stay out of church: "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)

"Behold with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day." (II Chronicles 21:14-15)

Divorce akin to debauchery: "Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)

"And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son...." (II Kings 6:28-29)

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2019 12:53 AM

It's called freedom of expression, fuckers. Glory to Satan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2019 5:28 AM

Why are non-Jews quoting Jewish texts/laws that have are not relevant to them?

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2019 5:36 AM

Oh and Moadim l'Simcha!

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2019 5:37 AM

You are absolutely correct, OP. Take solace in knowing that, and do nothing. Complaining will probably hurt you in ways you can’t anticipate. Is it worth the cost?

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2019 5:45 AM

I think Deuteronomy 28:17 would be an appropriate response.

A curse on your basket and your kneading trough!

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2019 5:53 AM

My stepmother is retired now but she always had the following, from the Book of Mormon, on her emails and the back of her business cards. She also had it printed on little drawstring backpacks that held the accoutrements needed for new braces.

[quote]Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

Coming from an orthodontist, it always sounded like god was commanding her patients not to eat bagels, corn on the cob, caramel, pretzels, etc.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2019 6:36 AM

Join in the fun by adding your own religious quotes to your office emails. Some verses from the Koran, the occasional “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn,” that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 6:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!