Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy birthday, Angela Lansbury

She turns 94 today, and will be returning to Broadway on Nov. 18 to play Lady Bracknell in a benefit reading of "The Importance of Being Earnest."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2020 9:23 PM

She stole my part.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2019 3:04 PM

She said, "Where's my old pal Judy?" then giggled and add "Oh I forgot."

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2019 3:34 PM

In movies, poor Angela was always cast older. She was only three years older than Laurence Harvey and yet played his mother in "The Manchurian Candidate," in what turned out to be a brilliant performance. She was only 35 when she played Elvis's mother in "Blue Hawaii," a somewhat less brilliant movie.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2019 4:03 PM

I wish I could find luxury turbans like Miss Angela is wearing. Everything I see now is so cheap, small and poorly made.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2019 4:12 PM

Was she born looking forty?

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2019 4:23 PM

It's a mystery, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 1:00 AM

Whippersnapper.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote]She was only three years older than Laurence Harvey and yet played his mother in "The Manchurian Candidate," in what turned out to be a brilliant performance.

One of the Best Supporting Actress roles in film history. She makes "The Manchurian Candidate".

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2019 8:18 AM

She was nominated as best supporting actress (her third Oscar nomination) for "The Manchurian Candidate" but lost to Patty Duke in "The Miracle Worker."

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2019 2:27 PM

And she’s still horny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 2:28 PM

Indeed, r8!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 2:30 PM

She was actually quite hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2019 2:31 PM

In DeMille's "Samson and Delilah," released in 1949, she played Hedy Lamarr's older sister, although she was 11 years younger than Hedy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Her second husband was extremely fuckable. Her first husband was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2019 2:33 PM

I really wish she’d write an autobiography. When you start reading about her life, the career that she’s had, not to mention the stories she has about every iconic Hollywood actor in the business, it’s really quite fascinating. Her mother who was an actress was jealous of her and Angela’s family were extremely famous British politicians.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2019 2:34 PM

Angela said this year had she not become an actress she would have gone into politics.

I can watch Murder, She Wrote on repeat every damn day and not get tired of it. There’s something extremely comforting about her. I’m so sick of that bitch Betty White getting all the attention. I’m glad that so many generations are now fawning over Angela. Believe it or not RuPaul has helped this. He posts endlessly about her.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 2:36 PM

She was terrifying in “ The Manchurian Candidate”. She really should have done “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. She turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 2:38 PM

I recall reading in the summer stock thread that a DLer got punched by her husband for following orders and barring anyone from entering backstage. I guess the husband had a pretty fragile ego.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote]I really wish she’d write an autobiography.

I wish she had, too., but she's 94. It seems unlikely that she'd want to take up such a huge project at this point. Although Barbara Cook waited until near the end of her life to write hers.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 3:04 PM

[quote]Angela’s family were extremely famous British politicians.

Yes, I believe they were Labour Party.

And Angela supports the Democratic Party -- when she was interviewed with James Earl Jones during their stage play a few years ago, she said she voted for Barack Obama.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 4:03 PM

Murder, She Wrote became a chore even in its time. It was only fund for seeing who hadn't died yet.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 4:07 PM

R21 = Betty White

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2019 4:09 PM

with Basil Rathbone whilst making The Court Jester.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 5:12 PM

Angela was pissed when it was reported on the internet for years that she was a Republican. She set the record straight a few years ago. I wonder who told her what was on her Wikipedia page and all the GOP celeb supporters she was on. I never saw her so angry in an interview.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 5:35 PM

Angela could write her story with the help of a co-author. That’s the way most people do it anyway. She is still very active. She used to ride the train everyday with Judy Garland and got to know her well. She was also friends with Bette Davis and she knew all the major players in the industry. She even admitted that she had to take some really awful roles in films just to pay the bills.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Catsup stain!!!

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 5:42 PM

Angela Lansbury: 'I'm voting for Barack Obama!' (2012)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 6:09 PM

When offered the role of a lesbian in "The Killing of Sister George" she replied:

[quote] No, I think not. I have my fans and reputation to think of.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Well, "Sister George" is an exploitation film.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 6:30 PM

We also have to keep in mind that it was half a century ago and the times were very different.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 6:44 PM

Yes, it was, r29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 6:55 PM

A 94 year old Lady Bracknell? Who will play her marriageable daughter? Maggie Smith???

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Well, she played a character in a t.v. version of "Little Women" a couple of years ago when she was in her early 90's.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 7:13 PM

The Gottfried bio was very good and he had access to everything. It was so good that Lansbury was upset with some of the things he revealed about her in it. Honestly, it's as good as you'll get because while she might have some good stories, she likely wouldn't give any insight on anything. I did think it was interesting that she was upset with Gene Saks til the day he died because she felt he didn't fight for her for the movie of "Mame". If she honestly thinks she would have gotten the role regardless of who the director was, it shows a definite lack of self awareness.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 7:13 PM

R34, Angela really needs to get over the whole Mame thing, time has proven that Lucy was perfectly cast and gave an excellent performance. Upon it's initial release there was a lot of backlash against Lucy because Hollywood didn't want to see her as anyone other than Lucy Ricardo. With time and a more objective viewing it can be clearly seen that Lucy was perfect in the role and gave it a depth and nuance that Lansbury and her chronic mugging would not have matched. The film's initial failure also curtailed any desires Lucy had on stretching herself as an actress. Who knows how many top notch roles for middle-aged women that she turned down, off the top of my head I know of: The Turning Point, Dressed to Kill, The Trip to Bountiful

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 7:40 PM

Angela Lansbury! Maggie Smith! Bette Davis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 7:57 PM

Gypsy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 8:01 PM

5 Tony Awards, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 8:19 PM

Bea and Angela at the 1988 Tony Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 9:28 PM

Jule Styne was so unimpressed with Angie's vocals that he did that weird Baby Jane type uptempo at the finale of Rose's Turn.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 9:51 PM

I saw her in the last preview of Mame at the Winter Garden in 1966 and had no clue who she was.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 10:34 PM

You want to see Ms Lansbury in her prime? I will show you her in her prime. Grab the cocktail shaker, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 10:48 PM

R42, everyone now knows why she didn't get the movie of Mame. Those closeups are brutal.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 10:56 PM

Whereas in the actual movie, R43, you can't even see Lucy in her close-ups because of the linoleum that was placed over the lens.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2019 12:27 AM

She don't want to know.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2019 12:38 AM

And the Tony goes to.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote] Angela really needs to get over the whole Mame thing, time has proven that Lucy was perfectly cast and gave an excellent performance.

Honey, stop embarrassing yourself. Good lord. Put down the pipe.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Angela has put out Broadway pride videos for many years now. She’s a fag hag and said two years ago she’s thrilled about that.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Perfect. Everything wrong with Lucy’s Mame. She turned it into a fucking funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2019 1:35 AM

Lucy went to see Angela in Mame and spoke to her after the show. Angela would come to find out that Lucy was taking notes and already trying to get the role for herself for a film. It was a shitty thing to do. THAT’S what really pissed off Angela along with the fact that Lucy’s version was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2019 1:36 AM

[quote]Angela really needs to get over the whole Mame thing, time has proven that Lucy was perfectly cast and gave an excellent performance.

I honestly thought this was a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2019 1:41 AM

Angela sings for Pride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2019 1:47 AM

Angela singing "Little Yellow Bird" in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945), her second movie. Many years later, she sang it again on an episode of "Murder, She Wrote," in which she played a dual role as Jessica's British cousin, a music hall performer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]Angela singing "Little Yellow Bird" in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945), her second movie.

Yes, that's one of the most poignant moments of that film, and helped her to get her 2nd of 3 Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2019 3:23 AM

A most unusual trio: Angela Lansbury, Joan Collins and Dana Wynter perform at the 1959 Academy Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2019 3:37 AM

Yeah, she looked older than her age, but she aged well and has got to 94 with good mental & physical health.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2019 4:48 AM

I’ve loved Angie since I was young! We use to watch our VHS version of Bed-knobs & Broomsticks at least twice a week as kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2019 6:38 AM

Wasn't Angie close to her "Dorian Gray" co-star, Hurd Hatfield? They both moved to Ireland. I believe he was a bachelor.

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2019 3:33 PM

Yes, they stayed in contact until his death, R58.

Hatfield was rumored to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2019 4:09 PM

Hatfield also did a guest appearance on "Murder, She Wrote."

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2019 4:20 PM

I want a second version of Dear Heart where Angela and Geraldine switch roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2019 4:27 PM

That comparison of Ball and Lansbury by the know nothing theater queen was pathetic. Lansbury almost certainly would had been better than Ball but you'd never known it from those ridiculous nitpicky items. Lucy took three takes in Bosom Buddies. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2019 4:58 PM

AGHHHHHH!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2019 5:08 PM

R63, that's one of the best Lucy moments from Mame where she sees Robert Preston and runs to him. One of the few moments where she doesn't seem like Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote]I want a second version of Dear Heart where Angela and Geraldine switch roles.

Angela's role as the unsympathetic fiancee was, alas, typical of some of the movie roles she got back then. But I must admit I find Geraldine Page completely winning in this. It was based on a 1957 CBS television play called "The Out-of-Towners," by Tad Mosel. On TV, the leads were played by E.G. Marshall and the wonderful Eileen Heckart. Lansbury's role isn't in the original; Harry Mork is already married, and he and Heckart's character go their separate ways at the end. Of course, the movie tacked on a happy ending that always struck me as hastily shot.

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2019 5:12 PM

I didn't know that, r65. I looked and couldn't find it on Youtube. We do have Heckie's Birdie preserved however...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2019 5:41 PM

As a gayling in 1968, I saw her in the Boston try-out of "Dear World," Lawrence and Lee's and Jerry Herman's) adaptation based on Jean Giraudoux's play "The Madwoman of Chaillot."

She was good (1969 Tony for Best Leading Actress in a Musical) but the show sort of sucked (132 performances on Broadway.)

$7.00 for an orchestra seat.

by Anonymousreply 67October 18, 2019 5:41 PM

The Tea Party is pretty swell...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2019 5:47 PM

Dear World photo session....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 18, 2019 5:49 PM

Angela went out of her way to help people during Murder, She Wrote. She never forgot all her friends in Hollywood during the studio system and got them roles and one actress who developed MS was helped by Angela when Angela had them install ramps and keep hiring so she could keep her health benefits. She kept the same crew for the duration of the show and put a lot of people through college. She is one of the nicest people in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2019 5:55 PM

Wasn't that Madlyn Rhue, r70?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2019 6:00 PM

Angie in 83 in the special performance of Mame. Amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2019 6:07 PM

[quote]I didn't know that, R65. I looked and couldn't find it on Youtube. We do have Heckie's Birdie preserved however.

I've looked for "The Out-of-Towners," R66, but I've never been able to find it. I recently found a review of it on IMDB, written by someone who said he watched it on the Decades Channel. I know it from reading the original teleplay for a theater course I took on interpersonal dramas of the 1950s. By the way, apparently the Geraldine Page movie was also going to be called "The Out-of-Towners," until Henry Mancini wrote the song "Dear Heart" for it, and the producers decided to give it the same title.

by Anonymousreply 73October 18, 2019 6:29 PM

R40, I always loved Lansbury's uptempo ending of "Rose's Turn." It's terrifying and electric.

by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2019 6:50 PM

Angela was 19 years old when she did "The Picture of Dorian Gray," but she already looked "momsy." I think it's the shape of her face that makes her look older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 18, 2019 7:03 PM

Lansbury always had hangdog eyes. And yes, the jowls were almost preprogrammed ("a coming attraction").

by Anonymousreply 76October 18, 2019 7:06 PM

I think she was actually beautiful. She had a certain British regalness about her.

by Anonymousreply 77October 18, 2019 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2019 7:25 PM

She was never hard on the eyes but she didn't have the requisite looks. Still, I doubt she'd trade places with Lana Turner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 18, 2019 7:25 PM

Her face was perfect for period settings....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 18, 2019 7:30 PM

Cheesecake....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 18, 2019 7:31 PM

The fact that she's 5'8 also helped give her presence.

by Anonymousreply 82October 18, 2019 9:33 PM

I've been in awe of her later life stage success. At 40, she played Mame and then proceeded to play several legendary characters in many wonderful shows. I still remember her Rose in Gypsy. No one has some close to what she was able to do with it. I think some keys were changed, but she could more than capably handle the score. She wasn't Merman, but her performance was very different from Merman's (or what I imagined her performance to be like) as well, so I don't remember being bothered by it.

by Anonymousreply 83October 18, 2019 9:51 PM

Whatever Jule Styne thought about her vocal limitations, Angela Lansbury was unforgettable as Rose in "Gypsy." Keep in mind that she was doing it a mere 15 years after it opened on Broadway, so memories of Merman were still relatively fresh, and this was the first revival. Angela was determined to find her own way to do the role, and she succeeded admirably.

by Anonymousreply 84October 19, 2019 1:38 AM

Angela was really smart to get into television. It was a shrewd move on her part. She was nearing 60 and knew that one way to get the public’s attention was to be seen in everyone’s home on a weekly basis. She said this herself.

She made the boneheaded move to sell the rights to Murder, She Wrote a few years ago. She stated this recently.

by Anonymousreply 85October 19, 2019 4:49 AM

I wonder if Bea bitched about Betty to Angela.

by Anonymousreply 86October 19, 2019 4:50 AM

Angela wasn't the first choice to play Jessica Fletcher. It was first offered to Jean Stapleton, who turned it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 19, 2019 2:09 PM

[quote] It was first offered to Jean Stapleton, who turned it down.

Also Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2019 2:52 PM

In a decades long career, r85, there will be a bone-headed decision here and there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2019 3:00 PM

She owned the rights to Murder, She Wrote?

And what's the likelihood she would be up to playing the role again at 90?

by Anonymousreply 90October 19, 2019 5:04 PM

Yes, r90. It was produced by her production company, Coreymoore. If Betty White can return to television at 90, why not Ange? Did you think you'd ever see Jane Fonda or Lilly Tomlin on a hit show in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 91October 19, 2019 7:37 PM

Oh, r90, Angela has already said she'd like to do one more final Murder, She Wrote tv movie.

by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2019 7:37 PM

But there's a difference between doing the occasional appearance and doing a regular series. Betty did the odd thing in her 90's, but Angela wouldn't be up to the grueling schedule of a regular series.

by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2019 7:54 PM

HAPPY 95TH BIRTHDAY TO DAME ANGELA!

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2020 9:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!