Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elton John - My Mother Told Me She Didn't Like Me - TO MY FACE!

The legendary musician said that his mother never met his two sons, Zachary, 8, and Elijah, 6, whom he shares with husband David Furnish, before her death in 2017.

“She never liked David. She never liked anybody. She never asked to see the children,” John, 72, said. “But I’m glad they didn’t meet her, because she would have criticized them, like she criticized me.”

“She couldn’t help herself,” he added. “She’s a sociopath.”

John went on to say that he and Farebrother reconciled before she died, though nothing had changed significantly in their relationship.

“The only thing that changed was I didn’t lose my temper,” John said. “I knew what was coming, and I let her get on with it. And I just said, ‘I love you, Mum,’ and she said, ‘I love you, too. I don’t like you, but I love you. But I don’t like you.’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2019 12:59 AM

Well, that explains a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 10:45 PM

I’m sick of hearing rich famous peoples problems.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 10:45 PM

He's worth reading about if he wrote/had ghostwritten with any frankness.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 10:47 PM

Oh Elton, nobody likes you

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 10:50 PM

Since that clearly fake anecdote he told about the queen, I wouldn't take what he says at face value.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 10:50 PM

I have friends with parents like that. Nothing is ever OK, let alone good or worthy of praise. The negativity is toxic. It is a form of sociopathy.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 10:51 PM

The first time I've felt sorry for Dame Elton. (He's royal now, right?)

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 10:55 PM

No. Not royal. Regal.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 10:58 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 10:59 PM

A face even a mom could not love.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 11:00 PM

I don't like you either, Elton.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 11:01 PM

There's nothing wrong with that. He may have been an unlikable person around her. Being loved is more important than being liked anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 11:06 PM

Even she knew he was a crank.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 11:17 PM

I've read about his mum before this. She was cruel and unusual. I was surprised when he made his peace with her.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 11:34 PM

Team Mom.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 11:37 PM

Team Mom also.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 11:57 PM

She was a cunt, but he has a weird childish vindictness whenever he speaks about her. It doesn’t come off as an adult talking about an abusive parent, more like a kindergartner complaining to their parents about the kid in class they don’t like. And his weird demonizing of her in Rocketman bugged me. Even if she was an evil bitch, there’s no way she was as much of a mustache twirling villain as he’s always made her out to be. If he’s adult enough to admit his father neglected and mistreated him due to his own psychological and emotional baggage, he should be adult enough to acknowledge his mother did the same for the same reasons.

It’s really hard to sympathize with a man who still acts like a vindictive little kid in his old age.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 12:28 AM

Eltona and Meghan Markle are birds of feather. One despises one's mother, the other abhors her dad.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 12:37 AM

R17 you clearly did not have an emotionally abusive parent. Trust me, it can cause a lifetime of hatred even after the parent is long dead.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 12:53 AM

Well, you have to admit: he's not very likable, is he? She was clearly on to something.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 12:56 AM

He is a very unlikable person. A real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 1:04 AM

Princess Diana ghosted him after she found out he was talking shit about her.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 1:28 AM

Oh the pathos and melodrama!

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 1:30 AM

[quote] “I knew what was coming, and I let her get on with it. And I just said, ‘I love you, Mum,’ and she said, ‘I love you, too. I don’t like you, but I love you. But I don’t like you.’”

I'm sorry, but if she did say she loved him, what else did he expect?

Your mother should love you, but she is absolutely not required to like you, especially if you're a fat pig who throws tantrums and sucks up to famous people.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 1:42 AM

Hey Elton, if nobody likes you, even your own mother, maybe the problem is that you just aren't likeable!

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 1:46 AM

So what? This is very common and we don't piss and moan endlessy about it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 1:52 AM

he really stuck the knife in and twisted it having Bryce Dallas Howard play her

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 2:04 AM

He should have had Roseanne play her.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2019 2:19 AM

I don't like R26 either.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2019 2:22 AM

I had a mother just like that- dependably would light into me my entire life- it’s not uncommon. The anger I built crippled me. I too accepted and forgave her (a continuous process) and told her I loved her the last 20 years of her life. These acts dissipated my anger. Turns out I did not love her most likely. But then I had to survive. I did accept her as she was, Stopped resisting and fighting; and even understand her (she was damaged badly by my even more abusive grandmother). Just like Elton said- my Mom would not change but I could. I love his image of the pilot light in his blackened soul willing to be saved at the end of his substance abuse. This is a great (short) chat. He likes his life- he’s not a brat- he’s a huge talent and success who appreciates his success but that did not protect him from an abusive mother or his own insecurities. There is lots of gratitude for his career and his family in this chat if you actually pay attention to it. This is a guy who has lived an examined life, perhaps because he had to so that he would not become another Whitney/Michael/Judy/Elvis. He’s at peace and alive. They are at peace due to death. I’m going to read his biography.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2019 2:32 AM

He is a damaged person. Damaged by his parents and his own self loathing. Only those of us who had parents like Elton's know what it's like, and how the hurt and pain and abuse affects you even in little ways you don't realise. The anger, the outbursts, the childishness, the substance abuse, the sex addiction etc. are all signs of someone who has not been adequately loved and who doesn't love themselves. No amount of money can take away the pain of a parent who doesn't love you.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2019 5:21 AM

His mother should come back and throw a bottle of Listerine at him!

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2019 7:43 PM

he has halitosis ?

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2019 8:05 PM

Elton should do a cover of 'Blues In The Night'.

My mama done tol' me When I was in pigtails My mama done tol' me A man's gonna sweet-talk and give you the big eyes But when the sweet-talking's done A man is a two-face, a worrisome thing Who'll leave you to sing the blues in the night

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote]I have friends with parents like that. Nothing is ever OK, let alone good or worthy of praise. The negativity is toxic.

So what? Half the Jewish mothers in the world are like that. That's what made Rhoda Morgenstern such a great character. Her mother was like that.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 1:07 AM

No one is acknowledging the undercurrent of homophobia in her shaming him?

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 1:12 AM

But Ida LOVED her Rhoda Fay and Brenda Fay. Plus it was a sit-com, not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]But Ida LOVED her Rhoda Fay and Brenda Fay. Plus it was a sit-com, not a documentary.

She loved them but she didn't like them. A lot of my friends had Jewish mothers like that. Constantly picking at their children.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 1:15 AM

R36, Elton John is friends with Rush Limbaugh and sang at his wedding. He should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 2:14 AM

He sang at his wedding, FOR A HUGE FEE. I seriously doubt he's seen Limbaugh face to face since that day. They don't visit each other, or stay at each other's homes to my knowledge. "Friends" is a term that is used much too frequently and incorrectly. They're "friendly" toward each other. That does not mean they pal around with each other as friends do

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 11:53 AM

Many mothers don't like their kids.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 12:16 PM

I don't like him either. I like his talent.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 12:18 PM

And for good reason many times.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 12:18 PM

R43 was in response to R41.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2019 12:19 PM

Elton John has bad breath?

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2019 12:26 PM

He's already said this before, I'm absolutely sure of it. Maybe in that book back in the 1990s? Something I read in high school, at any rate. Also I am pretty sure it came up when he and his mother were attacking each other in the tabloids.

He wants sympathy but he's completely and totally unlikable and it's hard to blame his mother, even if she is his mother, he's just that unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2019 12:29 PM

[quote]he’s not a brat

He unequivocally is! It's the one characteristic of his that is unassailable. Water is wet, the sky is blue, and Elton John is a brat.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2019 12:31 PM

Boo hoo, Elton. Fly Harry and his awful wife on your private jet to your yacht to tell you how fabulous you are.

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2019 12:46 PM

Maybe he has tonsil stones, that can create breath that literally smells like feces. Then again his teeth ALWAYS looked jacked, so maybe he never brushes. He’s never been a handsome man, and unfortunately looks worse with the hair transplant.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2019 4:15 PM

He’s an egotist. His mother is right. She said she loved him no matter what. But that he’s not a very nice person - which is likely true. When he has everyone around him saying he’s great, he needs someone to tell him the truth. But of course he rejects it as untrue.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2019 4:19 PM

He's like Barbra Streisand with her step father. Despite being huge stars, they keep obsessing about what happened to them when they were 10 years old. The world adores you. You can have anything you want. Quit whining and move on.

Everybody hurts. Sometimes people leave you halfway through the wood. Love stinks! Love is a battlefield. Mama, he's crazy! Everybody wants to rule the world!

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2019 7:32 PM

He's not a brat, he's a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2019 9:13 PM

Elton John was never cool and never will be.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2019 9:18 PM

Okay, I started reading a bio of Elton, and gave up in the mid seventies. Apparently his fall from #1 status began when he stopped writing cheerful pop songs that everyone liked, and released an album that was all whining about how he and Bernie had suffered during their early days. As if the early suffering mattered more than the early success!

Elton is just one of those miserable bitches who can never let go of a negative feeling, who not only can't forgive but who has no idea what forgiveness is. Isn't he.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2019 10:20 PM

I've always had a soft spot for Dame Elton.

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2019 10:23 PM

r10, lol, you are a wicked cunt.

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2019 10:28 PM

I don't know if Elton has bad breath or not. I was just poking fun at him for throwing an open bottle of mouth wash at David Furnish one time when they got into a quarrel.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2019 10:31 PM

I know how to deal with a Tiny Dancer.

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2019 10:46 PM

The mother got the son she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2019 11:21 PM

To be fair, he is quite unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2019 11:54 PM

Both him and his mother are horrible people with entitlement complexes. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2019 11:55 PM

Amen R2. You've received a record 20 'Wit and Wisdom' upvotes my friend.

Reg' has lived the fullness of his years, has been coasting off of one productive decade to the of millions of dollars and we are supposed to care that his mother agrees with the rest of humanity in that he one nasty, self-promoting, egotistical pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2019 12:00 AM

Tonight we are all Elton's mother

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2019 12:09 AM

Smart lady.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2019 12:17 AM

What did Kiki Dee think of his mother?

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2019 12:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!