Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Giving advice to a friend and when to pull the plug

A friend of mine just turned 40 and has been going through a mid-life crisis. He's freaked out about his career possibilities (he's in the arts) and after being heavy most of his life has begun fasting in order to lose weight (which has been successful).

A couple months ago he hooked up with a much younger guy (I wanna say 31?) and they got together to fuck a few times. My friend decided after their first time together that they had real chemistry and a connection and wanted more. I didn't say anything. After their fourth time (or so) of hooking up, my friend asked this guy what he was looking for and the guy very straightforwardly said- I'm not looking for anything more than this. After that conversation, the guy started ghosting him for a little while and then contacted him to hook up after my friend had sent several texts over the course of a week. And that confused my friend even more and he said- oh, he doesn't know what he wants. If he didn't want more he'd have stopped contacting me altogether. We have chemistry, etc, etc.

My friend asked my opinion and I said- he's told you exactly what he's looking for and by asking and always being available, you've basically told him you want more. He only wants to get fucked by you and you need to stop mooning over him because you're not going to change his mind. It has nothing to do with you. He's not rejecting you personally. He just doesn't want anything more than sex.

My friend said- you're right, you're right. I'll never talk to him again. And I told him- I never said that. I said you should manage your expectations and stop hoping you can get more from him. If you still want to fuck him, then do it. Just know that they chemistry and the connection is all one sided. He's not feeling anything emotional or romantic for you.

So my friend told me that he wasn't contacting the guy anymore, but then he'd say- Oh, I fucked the dancer last night, and then the speculation would start all over again, and the- Why hasn't he texted me back? What should I do? We went through this dance at least three more times where I had to explain to him what was likely going on and that it was not a knock on him and to stop putting his self worth into this guy's hands. And each time I got an "I know, I know, you're right."

So today he texts me and says- I had a big talk with the dancer this morning. And I said- He must have LOVED that. And my friend got all pissy with me. And I said- look, you can tell me about it, just don't ask me my advice anymore. I'll listen but I'm not going to tell you what you should do so don't ask me. And he huffed off and won't talk to me.

I don't care about being right or wrong in the matter. I told you so means nothing to me. In fact, I would love nothing more than to be wrong because this guy has been so depressed lately that it would be nice for him to have something good in his life. What do you do when someone always asks your advice but never takes it? Do you just keep your opinion to yourself and tell them what they want to hear? I wouldn't want that from a friend.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2019 2:56 AM

The guy’s getting older and now realizing he’s all alone in life. He looks to each sexual encounter as a chance at live.

At some point, people like that become extra annoying to everyone involved

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 6:41 PM

Pull the butt-plug before elimination.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 6:43 PM

I think you’ve been a good friend. Not sure what else you can do

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 6:44 PM

You're right and you should just end this friendship if you feel like you're getting exhausted by the drama. Alternatively, tell him you won't discuss this subject with him again because you have your own shit to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 6:44 PM

Also should add that we've been friends for 10 years and he's one of my best friends and I don't want to just cut him loose. I'm a couple years older than him and I can count on one hand the close friends I still have, not for any reason other than lives go in different directions. And I do like him very, very much and enjoy his company.

I hate that my friends have dwindled so much in the past 10 years. Also, I moved across the country and I would say most of my few good friends are on the east coast, which doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 6:47 PM

Are you asking how to handle his whining about the dancer no omg from forward or whether you should still be friends with him?

I feel for you

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 6:52 PM

^^about the dancer MOVING FORWARD ....

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 6:52 PM

I’m sure this isn’t the only thing you talk about, right? Sure he’s annoying but he’s going through a mid-life crisis of sorts

Don’t judge him, just listen. He knows what he’s doing is irrational. It’s not like your pointing it out will suddenly make him understand.

Let him go through this phase knowing he’ll always have you as a friend no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 6:56 PM

I guess I'd like to know what most people want to hear when they come to a friend with a problem like this and am I wrong to actually give my opinion? Everyone needs to vent. God knows I do. But I like to hear the truth (well, I don't enjoy it, but it's necessary to hear from someone else what I already know but maybe don't want to face). But I may be in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 6:56 PM

I have friends and family members who come to me with the same problems, over and over. I just say, "You know my position on that." (I'm assuming you've already given him your opinion at some point; no use repeating yourself.) If you like this guy otherwise, you can agree to disagree on this topic.

I wouldn't ask for more details about your friend's unrequited love; that's been discussed ad nauseam and ad infinitum. It's also dysfunctional to encourage him in that vein. I'd just say, "Mm-hmm."

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Oh, I never ask. Not that I need to. But I never bring it up because I don't want to be sucked into it again.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 7:24 PM

"What do you do when someone always asks your advice but never takes it? "

At some point you just have to say "I don't want to talk about D_____ any more, what else is going on in your life?".

Of course your old friend is obsessed and won't want to talk about anything else, so this will create a temporary cooling effect. But if you value the friendship, do persist in your efforts to talk about things other than Dancer.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 7:32 PM

Friends don't need to take our advice. Sometimes they just want someone to listen. I would never dump a lovesick friend. I would be supportive, and try to commiserate. Perhaps you can introduce him to someone new?

R12 is right to just change the subject if you are taxed, and cannot listen anymore. Telling someone "I told you so" is never the right path.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 7:38 PM

Yank that plug! Yank it like you're starting a mower!

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 7:49 PM

My late BiL always told me that you can’t change people, they have to want to do it themselves. Just as Op stated about his friend being heavy and then losing weight. He was fat and he decided to do something about it. When I’ve been in situations that Op described if they didn’t take my opinion of their situation as I saw it, the next time they brought it up I say, “you’ll figure it out,” and change the subject. If I’ve ridden their life crisis Ferris wheel before I don’t need to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 7:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys. We've been in contact again and he's in real bad shape. The guy is playing games with him, too. He's been super depressed but won't go to a psychiatrist to see about getting meds (he's convinced it's chemical) because he says he can't afford it. I told him to look for a place that has sliding scale or to try the LGBT center in Manhattan but all he wants to do is whine about it, so I'm letting him vent and just nodding.

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. This place can be bitchy (and is) but for these kinds of things, I've always seen DL'ers give good and supportive advice.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 3:37 AM

Pull a Mariah on him: "Excuse me, Miss, but I have problems of my own."

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 3:40 AM

Practice saying this in the mirror:

[italic]"With all due respect, ma'am, I've got problems of my own."

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 3:43 AM

Oh! Didn't see R17 when I typed that!!

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 3:46 AM

Nobody wants to hear the truth . About anything. Ever. So I make sympathetic noises and let them yap,while Im really thinking about making a lasagna .Im very good at it,20 years of customer service comes in handy .

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 3:52 AM

If you want to go the extra mile, you could make it a project to go boyfriend hunting with him. Figure out what he likes, scout out some areas where that type may be (like a specific volunteer organization) .... maybe ease him toward the meds/therapy again .... ie, be willing to help him find an actual solution to his problem.

Basically be PRODUCTIVE, and when he wants to talk about the dancer, steer him back with "Well, worrying about him doesn't seem terribly PRODUCTIVE, so let's work on something that could actually yield something."

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 4:01 AM

That’s the best thing, r16/ op, just listen and then sloooowly start trashing the BF. ie: he wasn’t that cute, you’ve fucked hotter guys than that. Make it look natural, like it’s just an observation.

Put those bugs in his head, he’ll get there eventually.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 4:13 AM

He's a 40 year old top? Tell him to hang on. In a few short years he'll be a daddy and 20 somethings will be all over him.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 4:40 AM

OP, I went through something similar to this with a co worker. She was lots of fun until she met this guy who was a creep. She'd call me in floods of tears, telling me she was going to break it off with him when he came over that day. Next day I'd ask her how things went. "Oh, we cleaned the gutters in the roof." I finally had enough and told her so in a letter. I said, "Unlike you, I am not a needy victim." Suffice it to say that sealed the deal and the friendship ended. What I would do at this point is wait to text him back when he texts you. And don't talk about the dancer. Just don't. Talk about other things. Your friendship is about you and him, not his emotional roller coaster[s]. I hope this helps in some small way. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 5:05 AM

[quote]I guess I'd like to know what most people want to hear when they come to a friend with a problem.

Ugh, I have been through this so many times with both straight female friends and gay male friends. What I realized is most people, like 8 out of 10 who come to you for advice don't actually want advice, and they don't just want to vent either. What they want is you to validate their compulsive behavior.

When you tell them don't go out with that abusive guy, homeless guy, or indifferent guy, they always say you're right, and then turn right around and do it again. What they really want is to hear you say "hang in there maybe it will work out" or " he secretly loves you" or some bullshit fantasy they have concocted up in their mind.

And often times, woman especially leave out key facts. Like "he wont make a commitment to only see just each other" meanwhile, she is cheating on her husband. People like that want you to play a roll in some scenario they fabricated in their head so that they can validate their feelings while ignoring their actions that got them there or keep them there.

So what to do? These days I just don't offer advice unless they truly ask. And then, I assume they wont take it. Or I just say, what do YOU think you should do? Then do that. Put it back onto them. Otherwise it becomes a sort of cat and mouse game where they go back and do what they want with the mindsets that their friend (you) will kill them if they find out they did it again.

Only a few friends will I give advice to anymore. Only because they listen and truly seem to give it a shot. Otherwise I don't have time for your drama and I didn't sign up to be in act 3 of your miserable play.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 5:06 AM

Op just repeat your advice briefly and wait for the next topic of conversation. What's so complicated about that. Nobody needs to take anyone else's advice, even if they ask for it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 5:12 AM

Ugh, it's now gotten a lot worse this evening. He's telling me he wants to commit suicide. He's convinced himself he's manic depressive with no diagnosis, but I keep suggesting he go to a medical psychiatrist and he tells me he doesn't have the money. I just looked up and texted him a bunch of resources in the city and he's ignoring it every time I bring it up. The LGBT Center in Manhattan has a great program with sliding scale.

His mother had some sort of breakdown when she was his age now and he's convinced himself that this is what's happening. He won't get a job because he can't find anything he likes. He just sits around and wallows all day. At this point, I'm not sure what he wants from me. I've given advice, I've agreed with him, I've yessed him to China. It's as if he's expecting me to snap my fingers and make it all go away.

I can only do so much as I'm across the country at the moment.

This particular post was just me venting and I don't need guidance on it. I know there's nothing I can do. I can't drag him to a doctor. He doesn't believe me that he can get care for free so I'm guessing he's either afraid to do it or he'd rather just feel sorry for himself. I don't know how to help someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 6:27 AM

[quote]I've given advice, I've agreed with him, I've yessed him to China. It's as if he's expecting me to snap my fingers and make it all go away.

In the future set healthy boundaries with your friends and use your best judgement.

If he lost a parent and he needed to let it all out for a month or two, yeah - let him do that.

If this is about a guy and him getting older then "Effie, we all got pain!"

If he thinks he's going to commit suicide then tell him you're going to call someone to check on him unless he's black because the cops will probably shoot his ass. Call another friend.

Otherwise, it's sadly like training a dog. I give my friends a few times (like twice) to bitch about the same subject and unless they're PROACTIVELY DOING SOMETHING I cut them off.

Because some people will drain the life out of you and keep on sucking.

You didn't ask for advice but I've been in your position and I had to learn.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2019 6:46 AM

OP, you're letting yourself be used by him. No no no...

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2019 10:44 AM

OP, I think you’ve been a good friend and done more for him than most would. Would you feel comfortable contacting his family and letting them know you’re concerned and that way they can handle it? The suicide talk would worry me.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 10:58 PM

I no longer give advice. To anyone. Period. The most I will do, under extraordinary circumstances, is coach by asking questions.

Which is just one reason I'm not going to give advice to the OP since he, too, isn't really looking for advice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 11:45 PM

This is not unusual- it’s just life. 40 is far from “over the hill” and friends can be made at any stage in life. I’m 66 and I have a number of very good friends I met after 50. And I hope for another torrid romance as well- there’s still plenty of fire in the furnace. You are only out of the game of life when you chose- I certainly am not.

Be patient and focus on the other reasons for your friendship. If I dropped friends because they did not take my advice or I did not take their’s, I’d have no friends.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2019 11:56 PM

[quote]r32 Forty is far from “over the hill”

Especially if you look 25!

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2019 11:59 PM

I do give advice, and do my best to ignore whether it's followed or not.

But the OP's friend sounds like a temporary nightmare to deal with, anyone who's obsessed with a Mr. Wrong is. You just can't win with someone who's fixated on a bad 'un.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2019 12:01 AM

Have you considered that maybe your friend isn’t actually looking for “advice” (even if that’s the exact word they used when they opened it)? Sometimes people just need to talk it out, and you’re their safe space to do so. That’s part of being a friend, though it can absolutely be maddening at times.

When someone keeps doing stupid over and again, they are clearly stuck. Sometimes talking it through is “thinking out loud”, and I like a previous poster’s suggestion of just asking questions that you think they need to find the answer to - instead of actually telling them what you think. Especially when you already have, your opinion hasn’t changed, and they aren’t taking your advice anyway.

I am concerned about the suicide dialogue. I have a friend with military PTSD and he finally sought treatment, though it doesn’t seem to be helping and in his case might be getting worse. I’ve provided alternative treatment programs as he himself isn’t satisfied, but.....he won’t listen, right? After a couple years of random middle of the night drunken calls, I’ve recently had enough. Long story and it came in stages with discussion along the way, but I block his number at bedtime.

Maybe in a similar way you need to find boundaries to help you maintain the relationship while honoring your own needs? I could be wrong and I dread finding out he finally followed through on a night he tried to call, but like the oxygen mask on a plane: we're no good to anyone around us if we don’t have our own shit together.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2019 2:22 AM

I don't know his family and would not have any way to get in touch with them. The other night I pushed to have someone local, a mutual friend, come over there to stay with him when he was ranting about suicide, but he doesn't want anyone to know what's going on.

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm ready to step back from it, and everyone has been very helpful. The night he was at his worst, I gave him a lot of local resources that would treat him and put him on medication and help pay for it if that's really what he needed. He promised he'd call the next day. I checked in on him and he was much better and apologized for being so dramatic. I told him he didn't need to apologize, that everyone feels that way some time or another. Then he launched into this whole thing about how he's got to be bi-polar because his mother suddenly became bi-polar at age forty and it's like he's either convinced himself he is or he wants to be.

And then I asked if he called the facility and he said no, because he was feeling better. I got annoyed, but was very neutral and calm and I said just because you feel better now doesn't mean it's over with. You need to have someone or something in place for when it hits again which could be very very soon. And he said, well, I have you to talk to. And I said- No, you really don't. Yes, I'll talk to you, but I'm not a doctor and I'm not qualified to really help you, and it's a lot to put on me, as well as not helping yourself. If you're really bi-polar (which I don't think, but again, not a doctor) or just going through a deep depression, you need something that's going to give you round the clock care, meaning medication to stabilize you. I'm not medication. And that's the stance I'm taking. He texted me this morning trying to engage in more self-diagnosis and I just didn't answer. He didn't seem dire, just chatty, and I have to set boundaries.

Now I'm fucking depressed and I wound up sleeping all day. I think he infected me!

Anyway, thanks again for all the good advice.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2019 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!