Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any tips on how to make a dry cough go away?

I need you bitches to help me! I’ve had a dry cough for over 2 months and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I’m not alarmed because there have been several times in the past where I had coughs that have lasted this long. Each time that happened, the doctors would do X-ray’s and could never find anything, so they would try various prescriptions on me: Tessalon Perles, codeine cough syrup, inhalers - nothing ever worked and it just eventually went away on its own. Since I don’t have health insurance now, I’m not wasting my money to go to the doctor to get more useless shit. Does anyone have any suggestions on natural remedies or tips on how to make a dry cough go away? Cough drops, Cremulsion, and Mucinex haven’t done a thing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2019 12:08 PM

Chemo?

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 6:26 PM

You might have a low grade infection and need an antibiotic. This used to happen to me for a few years after I had a sudden bout of infectious bronchitis with a high fever. I was young and healthy--it just came out of nowhere. Then for the next few years I would periodically get a cough. It would always turn out that I had a treatable bacterial infection, take a course of antibiotics and it would clear up. This went on for maybe 5 years occasionally but then it just stopped and haven't had a cough in years and years.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

Any cough medicine containing codeine/Pholcodine would work.

Shame you can't buy it in the US, they give it to 6 year old kids in the UK..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

Saline solution sprayed up your nose. A dry cough is often sinus related.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

There is an online doctor. My friend who has no insurance uses an online doctor. I’m not sure which company he uses. I think he pays $25. You email symptoms, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 6:39 PM

Drink the semen of a young virgin exactly at midnight on a day that has a full moon.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 6:39 PM

Free health care advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (844) 259-9494. Our experienced nursing staff is available to help with your immediate health care questions and much more. ... Helping you get the right kind of care.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 6:40 PM

Straight Dr. Tichenor’s. Gargle for as long as you can.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 6:42 PM

Kill yourself

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 6:49 PM

I've had one for 6 weeks. Already did a round of antibiotics, nyquil, had an xray and stopped drinking. Oh, the humanity! Just got the codeine cough syrup. Will let you know if it works. I know like three other people who have the same thing. this thing sucks.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 6:58 PM

A hand grenade.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 7:18 PM

R10 I had a dry cough for awhile. They did an X-ray and I ended up having a nodule on my lung. There are many great cough pills that work.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 7:44 PM

OP - are you on high blood pressure meds? I was on Lisinipril and developed a dry cough. Changed meds and it went away.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 8:08 PM

This sounds like an AIDS flare up. You are probably just having a little problem with your AIDS. Simply call your AIDS doctor and say, “Doctor, I believe my AIDS is acting up. “ he will have you com in right away for an exam. It may just require some aspirin or Tylenol.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 8:34 PM

Funny but I’ve just gotten over this exact thing. Dry cough for about 2 months. I don’t feel bad at all but it just felt like my airway was extra sensitive, especially when talking - don’t know how to really describe it otherwise. Just annoying AF and I started to think I had consumption!

I thought perhaps it might be gastric reflux related (although I never get heartburn), so I went on a two-week course of Nexium. Didn’t really seem to help at all.

Then I got some generic Claritin-D (with pseudoephedrine, “Sudafed”) at Walgreens and honestly it seemed to clear up in a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 8:43 PM

R14 so are you trying to say he had aids? It was not clear.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 9:20 PM

R9 I’m a visual learner and learn by seeing an example. Can you demonstrate on yourself for me?

R14 I guess I probably got it from you.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 9:28 PM

Uncut cock always works for me.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 9:29 PM

R17 you little sassy beast. Too cute.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 9:29 PM

R4 I have serious problems with my sinuses so I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ll buy some and give that a try. Has anyone tried a neti pot or whatever it’s called for a cough? How about a Vick’s Vaporizer?

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 9:30 PM

R20 OP, seriously they might need to do a blood draw or CT scan OR you could just quit smoking crack? Couple of choices.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 9:33 PM

R15 I may as well give it a try since you has similar symptoms. I forgot to say that one time when I had a cough they tried that acid reflux suggestion on me too (even though I never had heartburn either), and whatever acid reflux shit they gave me didn’t help either.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 9:33 PM

St. Blaise can help you out. You need candles for this prayer. Say the prayer and insert the candles in your ass (two candles).

[quote] O Glorious Saint Blaise, who by thy martyrdom has left to the Church a precious witness to the faith, obtain for us the grace to preserve within ourselves this divine gift, and to defend, without human respect, both by word and example, the truth of that same faith, which is so wickedly attacked and slandered in these our times.

[quote] Stained glass depiction of St Blaise You who miraculously cured a little child when it was at the point of death by reason of an affliction of the throat, grant us your powerful protection in like misfortunes; and, above all, obtain for us the grace of repentance, together with a faithful observance of our Church, and avoidance from offending Almighty God. Amen.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 9:35 PM

R12 What other cough pills are there? The only ones I’ve heard of or ever been prescribed were those Tessalon Perles and they didn’t do jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 9:35 PM

R23 lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 9:36 PM

R21 Did you not read what I wrote? I don’t have health insurance since I got laid off, so I sure as hell can’t afford blood tests or a CT scan.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 9:37 PM

I have the same problem OP, every year at the beginning of fall. Mine comes from something that grows at this time of year that I'm obviously very sensitive to. Some years the cough lasts a couple of months, and some years it last 3 or 4 months. Whatever it is, it gets in my throat and makes my esophagus spasm when I try to speak. I've tried everything, to no avail. I've just learned to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 9:37 PM

R23 I already tried that. Didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 9:38 PM

R27 I’m so glad I’m not the only one that gets coughs that last 2+ months. Every time I get a cough I dread it because I know I can expect months of misery. Still, there has got to be a way to find some relief after this long, so I’m ready to try new suggestionsI haven’t tried before.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Try Delsym, it's an OTC cough suppressant that works very well. Also add a humidifier to your living environs and sleep with one near your bed. You might be dealing with some really dry air. If you're sleeping with your mouth open, you might be drying out your throat.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2019 9:41 PM

R26 many hospitals do sliding scales. If you go to the ER they have to treat you. When the bill comes give documentation on why you cannot pay. I just do not mess with coughs anymore. I have had significant issues with my airway and coughing, due to reflux, etc (surgery cured). I would dry Claritin, but if the cough persists get some guidance.

The cough pills I take are prescription. Even though I have insurance, I know their cost is minimal. They are called: benzonatate. Even though I play a doctor on TV, I am not an actual doctor. Just someone blessed with many fucking health ailments.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2019 9:42 PM

R23, a priest would come to our classroom every year to give us St. Blaise's blessing, with candles.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2019 9:42 PM

R27-Try using a netti pot this time of year. Flush out your nasal passages to get rid of the ragweed, pollen, whatever, and also gargle with warm salt water. You need to clear that stuff out of your airways.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2019 9:43 PM

R31 i also has sinus and deviated septum surgery. I do remember quite a bit of drainage with this issue, not really a dry cough. OP, what do you mean by sinus problems?

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2019 9:44 PM

No one has figured out who gets OP’s stuff yet?

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2019 9:44 PM

OP, is your mouth or eyes super dry or scratchy?

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2019 9:45 PM

You might have asthma, so you should see a doctor. There are lots os asthma meds that work, but you need a prescription. You could try Primatene tablets over-the-counter. But prescription inhalers are best.

Otherwise, you could try a humidifier.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2019 9:48 PM

The thing about Tessalon Pearls is that you have to take mass quantities for them to work, but you didn't hear that from me.

It could be a form of asthma. I use a nebulizer with Levalbuterol several times a day to stop my cough. Another thing is to start taking Allegra several times a day. If you're at the two month point it should stop in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2019 9:52 PM

R38 Damn what kind of cough do you have?

I also used a hydrocodone prescription cough syrup. That worked best for me.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2019 9:55 PM

OP, I would say you need to go to an E.N.T. (ear nose and throat doctor) so they can find out what you're allergic to. But if you don't have insurance currently that's probably not possible.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote] Whatever it is, it gets in my throat and makes my esophagus spasm when I try to speak. I've tried everythin

I’m dealing with now after Js I g a bronchial infection and taking antibiotics

I’ve been retold it’s hyper reactive airways and out on prednisone We’ll see

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2019 12:41 AM

Some Blood pressure medications have dry coughing as a side effect. If you're on BP meds, talk to your doctor about that correlation.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2019 12:56 AM

If it’s an AIDS flare up OP may only need to take some Tylenol. Stop overreacting.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2019 2:18 AM

Dextro-fucking-methorphan

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2019 2:36 AM

The main blood pressure med with coughing side effects is Ramipril/Altace, might also be sold under a few other names but the patent is expired so most people get the generic.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2019 11:59 AM

sometimes the dry cough can be a result of GERD. I was put on Pantoprazole and that helped. Also the personal use products and many cleaning products contain phthalates which are the very irritating and cause coughing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2019 12:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!