Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it too late to become a good swimmer?

Over 40 and never learned to swim. I can doggy paddle barely.

Is it too late to take some classes and become a decent swimmer? I have to admit I have a little bit of discomfort in the water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 12:22 PM

I have a friend who just learned to swim at 49. It's never too late, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 6:10 PM

I've been wondering the same thing now that other forms of exercise have taken a toll on my knees. I never learned to swim laps properly and I'm embarrassed to try at my gym's pool.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 6:13 PM

What r1 said. If you have a chance, do it, you won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 6:13 PM

Go for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 6:15 PM

Do it OP! Swimming is so good for you!

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 6:18 PM

Never too late, OP! Swimming is great. You can do it for the rest of your life!

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 6:21 PM

Take a Beginning Swimming course at your local community college -- lots of adult non-swimmers in the same boat.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 6:22 PM

I'm one of those people here on DL always admonishing people to learn to swim, especially when I read about people drowning (which seems like an especially horrible way to die). Do it, OP! It's an important life lesson to learn. You don't have to compete in the Olympics: no one is going to judge you if your 'form' isn't perfect.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 6:23 PM

It's never too late to learn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 6:26 PM

Why would it be too late?

My father didn't learn to swim through most of his adulthood, and, when I was taking lessons as a toddler, he was taking lessons at the same time. He would have been in his late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 6:31 PM

R7, yep, that's what I did. Learned to swim as freshman at community college. It really bothered me I never learned to swim as a kid. It was partly down to being scared and also being body-conscious, I didn't want to be in a swimming suit in front of other kids. I got over that last part when I was a teen but then was too embarrassed to be an "older" learner. Luckily, I got over it when I got to college--it was a huge school and no one knew or cared about me anyway.

I only took one semester of lessons. I regret not taking the intermediate and advanced classes as I'm a pretty mediocre swimmer. But I learned enough to lap swim for exercise and in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 6:34 PM

Not too late. A neighbor of mine, in his 60s, is taking lessons.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

The whole point of life is to keep learning to understand more and more

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 6:43 PM

Anything is possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 6:43 PM

I was just considering taking swimming lessons too but was a bit embarrassed to do that as an adult. I used to jog regularly but hurt my knee a few months ago and put on a few pounds. Swimming seems like a good alternative, except I can barely doggy paddle and I am a little body conscious.

Seeing someone else in the same situation is encouraging!

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 6:50 PM

At the pool I go to, there are several adults of all ages taking swim lessons from private coaches. I doubt it's terribly expensive and everyone looks like they're learning new skills and having fun. Gof for it!

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 6:52 PM

All of the advice on this thread is great OP.

It is, however, too late to become a hot swimmer.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 6:53 PM

Depends. How do you look in a speedo?

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2019 6:57 PM

OP, adding my voice to the chorus of yeses. There is no downside to learning to swim at your age (or any age). Not only will you have another skill, a new form of exercise and strength training, but the feeling of accomplishment will spread into other areas of your life. Do it and enjoy it and come back and tell us about it!

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 7:02 PM

Yes, OP, you should learn how to swim. Do you travel by plane? Wouldn't it feel good to know that, in the case of a "water landing," you could swim?

I learned to swim when I was little. However, I was well into being an adult when someone taught me how to do a flip turn in a swimming pool. It's very cool to do that!

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 7:13 PM

Swimming is a very valuable skill. Everybody should know how to at least stay afloat in water.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2019 9:50 PM

Not too old at all, OP. Our gym even offers swim lessons - and it's an adults only gym.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 9:57 PM

So where do we get adult swim lessons?

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 1:58 AM

OP, first of all, the word is "dog paddle" not "doggy paddle." But more important, if you can dog paddle, that means you are swimming. You're talking about just learning a more conventional swim stroke.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 2:17 AM

OP asked if older learners can become decent swimmers.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 3:30 AM

Bump? For becoming a good swimmer? Also, is swimming the best cardio there is?

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 6:31 AM

I can swim enough to keep from drowning. Doing a bit of a side stroke. I hate to put my head under water, just hate swimming. Had a boat and would jump in and paddle around, but do not enjoy swimming at all. Took classes as a kid many times at the Y.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 8:51 AM

If you look like this, there will be many people willing to help your progress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 11:55 AM

No, it's not too late at all! Many community rec centers offer beginning swim classes for adults. It truly is the best exercise, very toning.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 12:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!