Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Hiya, Mistah B!": The Thread for All Things Hazel

Somebody on the I Love Lucy thread suggested creating a Hazel thread, and I aim to please.

So here's the place to spill your guts about that lovable, salt of the earth maid.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2019 1:26 AM

What'm I, chopped livah? Nobody's got anythin' ta say about Hazel?

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2019 6:48 PM

I DVR and watch it everyday. Loved the Johnsons, the next door neighbors in the early episodes. Loved it when Diedre would be on acting so pretentious and Hazel would end up saving the day. Thought Dorothy was so pretty, but such an absent mother.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2019 6:55 PM

Loved how clean she kept the house. Perhaps, HGTV should re-create that one!

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2019 7:09 PM

Hazel's cookies were the best.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2019 8:48 PM

Bobby Buntrock was killed in car crash. Shoreline Booth was blind by this time and her secretary send a note to his parents saying how sorry she was.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2019 10:00 PM

shoreline=Shirley

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2019 10:01 PM

She should have focused more on housekeeping instead of sticking her nose in everybody’s business.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 10:09 PM

I like the Thanksgiving episode where she saves everyone’s bad marriage and poor family relationships and acts surprised when they find a seat at the table for her.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2019 1:58 AM

Hazel never got laid did she?

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2019 8:38 PM

R7 Then there would be no show.

Hazel was great when she bowled. Apparently Robert Ryan's character couldn't wait to get her in a bathing suit in "About Mrs. Leslie", so maybe she was holding out on us.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2019 8:48 PM

Shoreline Booth, heh.

If youda seen her without her girdle, youda realized how on the money that name is. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote] Bobby Buntrock was killed in car crash.

Dead at 21, which would have been shortly after he gained control of his trust fund per the child actors Coogan Act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2019 8:54 PM

When I was a little kid I watched it for the Ford commercials.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2019 10:04 PM

I didn't care much for that show. One of the guys in the now-defunct Punchy Players did a terrific Shirley Booth.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2019 10:09 PM

I always wanted Hazel to hook up with Mr. French. Her earthiness would have been a delightful contrast to his fussy ways. And they would have been dynamite in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2019 10:12 PM

R12 the pic on the right is Bobby Driscoll.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2019 10:17 PM

Hiyah Mista B! I wouldn’t go in that bathroom for about 35/45 minutes, Sir”

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2019 10:25 PM

A friend of mine used to date Shirley Booth's gynecologist--he was there to pronounce her dead. Oh, fame--though glittering bauble!

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote]Hazel never got laid did she?

Hazel needed a Sam the Butcher.

And a vibrator.

That's how I survived six rambunctious children and two helicopter parents.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2019 10:33 PM

We had a giant "Hazel" thread just a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2019 10:41 PM

This morning on Antenna TV she was giving acting lessons and delivering a baby.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2019 10:45 PM

A couple of years ago i watched the entire series from episode one to the very end (I think they were showing two a day) and once was enough. But I'm glad I saw them...

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2019 10:48 PM

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again. I loved the series but truthfully Hazel was a terrible person. She had to be the center of attention. Everything had to be her way. She stole men from her girlfriend and disobeyed her employee on a regular basis. She fed the neighborhood on Mr. B's dime even when he said she couldn't but was hailed as a hero. Mr B's sister Diedre was the real hero as she saw right thru her. It was Shirley's amazing talent that made this bitch so likeable.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2019 10:59 PM

I don't know who in hell could dream up such a pushy broad...

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2019 11:05 PM

I would hate to scrub toilets for a living.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2019 10:09 PM

What happened to the "Hazel" musical? Is it totally dead?

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2019 10:56 PM

‘Member when Hazel found Mr B’s massive black dildo?

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2019 1:49 AM

I'd rather play a maid than be one.

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2019 3:12 AM

I don't remember the dildo episode, r27, but I do remember the one where no one could find Mr. B, and Hazel just marched right down to the local adult bookstore, went into the arcade, and found Mr. B in the middle of a cocksucking marathon.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2019 7:39 AM

Just watched the one with Grandma Walton as a friend who owned a "fix it" shop. Hazel volunteered Mr. B's free legal services to her and she showed her gratitude by giving him a broken down old desk that supposedly belonged to somebody who had shared an office with Lincoln "so it's quite possible that Mr. Lincoln leaned on it at some point!"

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2019 12:14 PM

[quote] Hazel volunteered Mr. B's free legal services to her

You for got to add, without telling him until she showed up at the door.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2019 3:45 PM

The Saturday Evening Post Hazel cartoon character was a much more entertaining bitch.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2019 2:31 PM

Who's the jerk who never does her work-it's Hazel!

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2019 4:20 PM

I'm surprised anyone under 70 even knows of Hazel. Amazing to think this nasal-voiced, koochleffl can still inspire a lucid conversation. How come nobody mentions Whitney Blake? Perhaps, she deserves an appreciation thread.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2019 5:51 PM

No way could anyone tolerate a real life Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2019 5:57 PM

She hadta GUM it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2019 6:04 PM

Mr. B. was a hot daddy muscle stud. In the above you tube clip, his tight sweater can barely hold back his big strong muscles.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2019 6:19 PM

[quote] I'm surprised anyone under 70 even knows of Hazel.

Do you have MeTV? It's on daily.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2019 10:22 PM

r38 It's actually on AntennaTV, not MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2019 10:28 PM

She was the Mary Richards of her day, she had spunk.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2019 10:35 PM

r40 I hate spunk.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2019 11:46 PM

I liked the S5 episode with Steve and Barbara where Hazel and all the adults dressed up as beatniks and danced around to embarrass and convince Harold and his friend/band mate to cut their long shaggy hair.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2019 12:31 AM

How many times did she serve stuffed pork chops? A thousand? Missy was too sweet to complain, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2019 1:10 AM

Mr. Griffin sure did like Hazel's brownies.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2019 1:22 AM

Wasn't blueberry pancakes another one of Hazel's specialties? Or was it tzimmes?

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 1:28 AM

Whitney Blake was certainly lovely. She happened to be the namesake for, of all people, Whitney Houston. I'd like to know the backstory on that. She was also the mother of Meredith Baxter Birney from "Family" and "Family Ties" who would later do the star turn and declare her lesbianism to the world.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2019 1:48 AM

More info on Bobby:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]How many times did she serve stuffed pork chops? A thousand? Missy was too sweet to complain, I guess.

She tried to give Mr. B a heart attack so she could have Missy all to herself.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2019 2:18 AM

Post from another site:

"For several years now, Lynn Borden, who played Barbara Baxter in the revised-format 1965-6 season, has been a friend of mine (long story--a couple of years of exchanged letters and another year of exchanged telephone calls, before finally getting together several times, whenever I was on the West Coast).

During our second conversation, I finally asked her why Hazel changed formats, allowing her to step into the regular rôle of Barbara Baxter (which was the first rôle in which I ever saw her).

As she explained: at the end of the 1964-5 season, NBC had cancelled the show--thus, Don DeFore's comment about his option not being picked up--and all of the actors were left at ends to find other work. When CBS expressed interest in picking up the show, Shirley Booth agreed to provide the financial backing herself to put the show back into production By the time the deal with CBS was finalised, former regular cast members DeFore and Whitney Blake had moved on to other commitments. (Left unsaid by Lynn, but budget considerations was probably also a factor--as TV Guy pointed out--the salaries for new actors as the new Baxter family were undoubtly lower than those for DeFore and Miss Blake would have been.)

A thematic change also instituted by Miss Booth was that her realtionship with Steve Baxter would be less adversarial than that with George Baxter.

Contrary to some misconceptions, Hazel was not cancelled by CBS at the end of that 1965-6 season. The show's ratings were acceptable. However, Miss Booth was slowly succumbing to illness. She required a nurse present on the set; and if one will notice, by the middle of that last season, more scenes are devoted to semi-regulars Ann Jillian and Mala Powers and their characters' interactions with the Baxter family, thus reducing the amount of screen time for Miss Booth. At the conclusion of the season, Miss Booth was unable to continue and folded the show.

Incidentally, Lynn Borden is one of the sweetest, warmest people I have ever known, in or out of Hollywood. I don't know many women who would stop directing of the renovation of her home, leaving it a virtual disaster area--as she did, just to spend the afternoon with me when I made a spur-of-the-moment trip to Los Angeles. She's a class act!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Hazel never got laid did she?

No, but she sure did know how to flick her bean.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2019 3:28 AM

I want to worship Don DeFores big bare feets and deep rim his hairy hole .

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2019 3:39 AM

DeFores wasn't bad looking in his Hollywood days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2019 4:54 AM

Don DeFore stars with Gale Storm in a rather charming movie called "It Happened on Fifth Avenue". Not quite "It's A Wonderful Life" but it should be a holiday staple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2019 10:44 AM

Thanks, R49!

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2019 11:17 AM

Don DeFore was a hardcore Republican. He was a delegate at the 1980 Republican National Convention and had very conservative views and was a close friend of Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2019 11:42 AM

Is anybody surprised that Don DeFore was a republican? I would have been shocked if he HADN'T been.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2019 1:00 PM

1980 Republicans were a far cry from 2019 Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2019 1:18 PM

I want to know more about Whitney Blake. Was she a lesbian also? And was Shirley?

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2019 1:29 PM

Not THAT far, r57. They were more civil and not completely of their rockers, but they were still conservative and unwilling to help gays and people with AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2019 5:00 PM

You can't put Reagan's homophobia on all Republicans. He was probably jealous of all of Nancy's gay Hollywood friends.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2019 11:36 PM

The guy who played the lead in the revamped series was a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2019 11:47 PM

Did Shirley Booth quaff of the fur cup?

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2019 11:50 PM

The first Baxters were the best.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2019 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!