Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

G.A.T.T.A.C.A.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

It was beautifully filmed, and Uma Thurman looked exquisite throughout the movie.

Ethan Hawke and Jude Law were at their most beautiful.

The story was very timely, and the cinematography set such a sophisticated mood throughout the film.

Lastly, Danny Devito should produce more movies like this, because it was such a triumph for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2019 12:26 AM

I've always had a huge crush on Ethan Hawke. He's so beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2019 11:35 AM

Something to really love about Ethan, from his Wiki:

[quote] Hawke supports the United States Democratic Party, and supported Bill Bradley, John Kerry, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton for President of the United States in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2016, respectively.

[quote] Hawke is also an activist for gay rights and in March 2011, he and his wife released a video supporting same-sex marriage in New York.

Now THAT is sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2019 11:38 AM

Jude Law looked fantastic, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2019 11:40 AM

LOVE this movie. One of my favorites. Ethan and Jude are sooo beautiful in this movie. I fell in love with Jude Law here. Beautiful film score and I can totally see this happening.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2019 11:41 AM

Jude Law peaked early, but what a peak it was.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2019 11:46 AM

I was obsessed with this movie and Jude Law at the time. It’s definitely one of my favorite sci-fi films.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2019 12:44 PM

He was no Hawke or Law, but Loren Dean wasn't bad looking either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2019 1:04 PM

R7, is there any gossip on Loren Dean?

I looked him up, and found zero information about a girlfriend or wife.

He's 50 years old this year, and no mention of a significant other. It piqued my curiosity.

I thought he was cute in Apollo 13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2019 1:24 PM

I was conceived in the Riviera, not the French one but the Detroit version. I have always remembered that among the many memorable scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2019 1:29 PM

Cool trivia.

Maya Rudolph was in this movie!

She was the nurse who delivered baby Vincent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2019 1:31 PM

This movie had quite a cast.

Besides the leads of Hawke, Thurman and Law, there were other well known actors like Ernest Borgnine, Gore Vidal, Alan Arkin, Xander Berkeley, Elias Koteas, Blair Underwood, Tony Shalhoub, and even Gabrielle Reece.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2019 1:34 PM

I loved how much Ethan was naked in the movie.. lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2019 1:52 PM

I always found it odd how the medical tech (Xander Berkeley) always mentioned to Vincent how "impressive" his dick was.

Was that supposed to be part of the "defying expectations" theme of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2019 3:04 PM

R8 He dated Lilli Taylor. I remember someone (Cameron Crowe?) saying it was funny how much they like each other IRL, when her character hated his in say anything...

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2019 3:24 PM

R8 - There was a short thread about him here about 8 years ago.

As is usual around here, the conclusion was he's either gay or straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2019 6:18 PM

Interesting how they made electric cars the thing of the future.

That was pretty insightful. They didn't go the hovercraft or spaceship car route.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2019 7:50 PM

Did it actually stand for something, or was OP just generous with the periods?

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2019 9:31 PM

No periods in the title, R17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote] He dated Lilli Taylor

That must have been over 20 years ago.

I honestly don't think that he's into females. Can't find any information on him dating anyone.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2019 1:21 AM

Beautifully filmed movie, I especially loved the soundtrack. Loren Dean was really lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2019 2:28 AM

Did Jude Law kill himself at the end of the movie?

Why?

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 7:16 PM

If Irene and Jerome had a baby, would it automatically have superior genes, or would they still have to manipulate the DNA?

Supposedly, they're both superior human specimens, but does that change if they were to reproduce?

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 7:20 PM

I was obsessed with it throughout college. Listened to Michael Nyman's score innumerable times.

Unfortunately, I didn't absorb the core message as much as I was influenced by its overall acceptance that some genes are superior to others. Made myself feel like garbage since then.

The extras show the parents at the clinic (same scene), but there's an allusion to making sure their child is straight. It's here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 7:28 PM

Wow I did not realize the brother was Joe from Say Anything and I have seen both of these movies many times. Thanks R14, good eye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 7:33 PM

Why wasn't this movie nominated for an Academy Award?

It should have been. It was that good.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 7:46 PM

Why did Jude Law incinerate himself at the end of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 7:47 PM

R26, he had no identity of his own left, or at least nothing that he could live with given his previous state of great health etc. He was a liability for Jerome (Hawke) as well, and it was kind of a sacrifice.

WSJ's critic called it a "crypto-gay fantasy." He liked it a lot. Morganstern or something.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote] WSJ's critic called it a "crypto-gay fantasy."

I got a gay vibe between Jerome and Vincent, as well.

Maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see, but the night that they both got drunk at the club, and then Vincent lifted Jerome up out of his chair and into bed, seemed pretty homoerotic to me. I loved it.

Then again, I think that both Ethan Hawke and Jude Law were hot as fuck in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2019 7:58 PM

Damn, Ethan Hawke was/is so hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2019 7:59 PM

Love the ending especially the music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2019 8:38 PM

I'm watching Gattaca right now.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2019 12:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!