Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Hard Rock’s Collapse in New Orleans is Complete!!!

1 confirmed dead, 3 remain missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 7:39 PM

Just saw this on the news...

WTF? What kind of materials are they using? Made in China?

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 6:31 PM

It’s freakin’ unbelievable. Watch the video on YouTube, showing it come down. It looks like 9/11 redux.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2019 6:42 PM

OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2019 6:44 PM

Well, this worked out very well for them.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2019 6:45 PM

You can pretty much see someone get annihilated in that video.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2019 6:46 PM

Louisiana’s Governor Edwards gives news conference.

Fuck. NoLa is just always fucked with one thing or another. The

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2019 6:46 PM

Uh, somebody forgot to build a load-bearing wall?

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2019 6:47 PM

As corrupt as Louisiana and New Orleans both are, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if somebody had been paid off in order to allow for some "short cuts."

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2019 6:48 PM

Any architects or commercial building contractors here? Anyone know someone who is? We’d appreciate a knowledgeable DLer to add commentary, and answer questions, such as:

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN?

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2019 6:50 PM

So there’s a loose crane, being held up only by piles of concrete slabs that are among the rubble of the collapsed hotel. It is in line with a theater, and can fall on it at any moment.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2019 6:59 PM

Video of crane:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2019 7:00 PM

Corner-cutting for profits, I'm sure. The US is quickly becoming a third-world country, but its citizens are too busy taking selfies to give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2019 7:09 PM

ScAmerica

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2019 7:22 PM

You don’t want the government telling you what to do and enforcing all those silly regulations. Hard Rock Hotel has made money over the years!

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2019 7:24 PM

Those cranes are going to go at any time, holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2019 7:29 PM

Someone tore down that BITCH of a bearing wall and put a window where it ought to be!

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2019 7:31 PM

I don’t know about New Orleans, but every single time I’ve walked by an active construction site, even at 8:00 am, the smell of marijuana is wafting from it. Those people smoke pot day in and day out.

It’s not a moral issue, as I smoke occasionally, too. But it’s probably not a good idea for stoned people to be building shit and operating heavy machinery.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2019 7:35 PM

It's the Hard Rock life for us,

It's the Hard Rock life for us,

Stead of tourists

Rains debris

Stead of housing

Faulty lees

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2019 7:36 PM

This video is awful. I hope the people running made it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 7:43 PM

The 3 missing are probably gone for good. If you were on the top of that or in between floors of that, directly below that, and right next to that collapse, you’re probably dead.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2019 7:45 PM

There’s a guy on a stairway on the yellow part of the building who runs into an open window just as it collapses. Pretty sure he’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2019 7:46 PM

yes, I walk by a construction site on a daily basis and it's taking forever just to build a small 6 story condo building, they had so many stop work orders. Still unfinished...

And you also hear about sheets of glass falling off construction sites and killing people when it's windy...

Don't walk under construction sites. Walk across the street from them.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2019 7:47 PM

There a guy on the yellow part of the building runs into an open window just as it falls. Pretty sure he’s dead

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2019 7:47 PM

Oh man R21, I missed that. It looks like something fell loose and probably knocked him right off the building.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2019 7:48 PM

If you look from the top going down, he’s on the second yellow floor in front of a window. He runs to the window to the left and the building falls

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2019 7:49 PM

That video is so disturbing.

Sounds like they pushed that building through despite zoning and were using unlicensed electricians and who knows what other shady shit was going down.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2019 7:49 PM

R22, my friend’s husband is an architect and he has begged his family never to walk under it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2019 7:51 PM

A couple people on that Twitter thread are saying they work there but were off today and it was only a few people for the weekend, which I guess is kind of good news. A full crew would have meant a lot more dead.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2019 7:52 PM

I bet they weren't using union workers.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote]Governor John Bel Edwards was at the scene urging residents to stay away from the area. "I'm just asking for everybody to pray for those who are at the hospital," Edwards told reporters.

I'll never understand how god-believers think. A truly benevolent god wouldn't need to be begged and pleaded with to end suffering, and would have prevented this from happening in the first place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2019 7:56 PM

Eggzackly, R30. If Miss Jesus was doin' her job, this would never have happened.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2019 8:13 PM

R31, R32, it’s the South.

2 of various explanations as to why America’s South aren’t brimming with intellectuals and critical thinkers:

1) Slavery. Slave owners justified slave ownership by quoting the Old Testament, which oftentimes mentions the right to hold slaves, as well as slaves being bound to obey their masters, or face brutal beatings. This was repeated over and over to anyone who was still a child or a young man/woman, who was born white and of privilege, the moment they asked an adult why their favorite slave is being sold, beaten, generally abused, killed, etc.

2) Slavery. The slaves too, for centuries, were taught this, and as a result, had biblical beliefs ingrained into their psyche, and for the few who could read, a Bible was all they had. After the Emancipation, they mimicked their former masters, & built hundreds upon hundreds of churches in order to serve God - Jesus. Also worth pointing out: African Americans were technically emancipated, which meant very little due to Jim Crowe laws, etc. They weren’t able to interact with white people freely. If they tried, they found out quickly that lynching was the white Southerner’s answer to their society. That meant that the black communities needed a place where they could meet, network, and live. Church was it. It’s one of the only places that they could find fellowship with one another, without being persecuted and killed, just for walking down the street.

That all changed, of course, during the Civil Rights Era, & White Southerners bombed black churches, killed children in black churches, beat men and women in black churches, and burned down black churches. A practice that has been honored by American terrorists, until present day.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2019 8:37 PM

^^^Thats a stretch. There are construction accidents everyday all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2019 8:53 PM

Was this a renovation of an existing building or a completely new build?

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2019 9:11 PM

You can check out any time you like . . . but you can never leave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2019 10:44 PM

I didn’t realize Hard Rock Cafe’s were still around.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2019 10:49 PM

The aftermath looks like a clip from 9/11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2019 12:11 AM

Not even close, R37

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2019 12:37 AM

This made me think of the pedestrian bridge collapse in Florida in 2018. I searched for an update and found this ABC News article:

[quote]The engineers of the pedestrian bridge that collapsed at Florida International University last year failed to recognize that the bridge was in danger of failing during an inspection [bold]juts[/bold] hours before the accident

Sadly, it's not surprising that a major national news outlet can't adequately proofread a story before publishing it. Obviously, a typo is not the same as the collapse of a structure, but this is more evidence of the decline of the United States. If we can't even count on our media institutions to take a critical eye to their work, we probably shouldn't assume that our buildings and bridges will stand, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Man those are some fat fucking people.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Built on a sinkhole. With inferior Chinese steel. And Louisiana grifter concrete. Hat trick, but a sad one.

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2019 12:50 AM

R39 Most modern news writing is a joke and not just because of typos . Many journalists are too busy trying to be cute, snarky, or funny to compose a proper and informative article.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2019 1:16 AM

[quote]Was this a renovation of an existing building or a completely new build?

New build. The former building on the site was a big Woolworth's where civil rights protesters had staged a sit-in in the early 1960s.

For those who are only slightly familiar with New Orleans, it's on the very northwest corner of the French Quarter, across the street from the Saenger Theater (and, for DL interest, a very short walk from the Corner Pocket).

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2019 1:23 AM

They probably shouldn't have hired her as the architect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2019 1:28 AM

Maybe it’s the angry ghosts of the civil rights protesters!

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2019 1:30 AM

In my neck of the woods, these giant cranes are tumbling down one crane a day! Amazing technology!!

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2019 1:41 AM

That concrete had probably been cut so many times you could have baked as cake with it. NA has always been and will always be a cesspool of corruption . I had me some fun there a time or two,so I always wish it the best.

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2019 1:50 AM

It has a lot of mafia, and in particular, in the concrete business.

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2019 2:15 AM

That poor guy whose forearm was sheared off. I hope he's okay.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2019 2:26 AM

The boarded up Chinese Restaurant on Canal , that's behind the Governor , was closed by the Health Department . Used to get delivery when I lived down on North Rampart .

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2019 2:41 AM

That poor guy that ran to the window right before it collapsed, ugh.

He probably heard the concrete breaking and the rebar snapping right before it imploded and toppled over. He knew it was too late. Jesus.

The guys running across the street BARELY got out, yet the scaffolding still managed to break apart, just so, and it looks to me, like it either severely injured one of them, or took him out.

Man, their families watched that on TV.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2019 3:08 AM

According to this footage recorded right after the collapse, by a pedestrian/local, who was at the N.O. Athletic Club, which is located right next door to the Hard Rock, MANY workers remain trapped inside the structure.

He spoke with several individuals who had been working on the site, who confirmed that multiple employees were still in the structure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2019 3:20 AM

Guy in the red suit, R5. Never works out well in Star Trek, and apparently neither in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Physical manifestation of the collapse of American culture.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2019 6:16 AM

Like t he world needs another Hard Rock hotel

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2019 6:26 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T LET IT HAVE DESTROYED THE RAINBOW STORE NEXT DOOR !!

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2019 6:42 AM

I remember when Hard Rock was just a trendy and popular burger restaurant in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2019 9:44 AM

This is hard rock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2019 9:50 AM

[quote]Like t he world needs another Hard Rock hotel

Well, they have to do something to replace the one in Vegas, which is "transitioning" to a Virgin property.

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2019 2:19 PM

[quote]Well, they have to do something to replace the one in Vegas, which is "transitioning" to a Virgin property.

What are its new pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 12:52 AM

Do they still not know how many are dead & missing?

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2019 3:49 AM

Public safety officials still swarm the collapsed Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans three days later with major concerns. Two people have still not been recovered and rescued from the building, and the likelihood of further collapse is high.

Here is a rundown of what we know — and don't know — based on information provided by officials and reporting done by The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate. WHAT WE KNOW The names of the 3 trapped

The body of a man has since been recovered, while one deceased man and one missing man remain in the building that search and rescue teams continue to carefully comb through. Anthony Magrette, 49, of Gretna, was recovered Sunday.

The men still in the building have been identified as Quinnyon Wimberly, 36, and Jose Ponce Arreola, 63. Officials have not said who they believe is the missing one and who is the deceased.

New Orleans officials have said further collapse is more likely now that engineers have deemed both cranes are damaged, making it difficult to stabilize the crumpled hotel.

The original plan was to use new cranes to help prop up the crumbled structure, but engineers also said that plan was too dangerous, bringing site officials back to the drawing board on how to move around this unstable building.

Adding to the an already dangerous situation, a tropical system is brewing near the coast of Mexico and winds are forecast for Wednesday. Any rain could add weight to the structure, and even the slightest bit of wind could move the flimsy building.

Even minor weather, like the storms Monday, was a cause for concern and was part of the reason for the expansion of the evacuation zone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2019 4:16 AM

I bet they have illegals they’re paying under the table and really have no idea how many people are missing.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2019 5:35 PM

Came down like a deck of cards.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2019 5:37 PM

This reminds me of the "oubliettes" rotting in the Superdome. Just how 3rd world has this city become? Why hasn't that entire site been dynamited to the ground by now?????

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2019 7:41 PM

I bet they mixed sand with the concrete.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2019 10:14 PM

Have they found the missing?

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2019 10:47 PM

They're going to use explosives to demolish the cranes, which are unstable ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2019 12:12 AM

The bodies of two workers who were killed are STILL in the wreckage. One of the bodies had been shielded by a tarp that blew away and left it partially visible from the street, prompting gawkers to snap photos and share them on social media. A new tarp was placed earlier today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 7:24 PM

R69 the comments on that Twitter account are absurd. Calling for an insurrection , nearly. JFC, accidents happen and its unfortunate about the bodies but retrieving is just not that simple

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!