Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Paul Lynde Halloween Special

I wanted to like this so much. Margaret Hamilton, Betty White, Florence Henderson, Tim Conway, Witchie Poo. God, it was so cheesy with bad plot lines. First, Paul Lynde was a trucker who got married to Pinkie Tuskadero, then he was a sheik who wooed Florence Henderson, and then he sang awful disco songs. Lord.

It had so much potential with that cast and level of talent. At least the back and forth banter was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2019 8:19 PM

Suck it, fuckwads!!

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 1:43 AM

Did this happen before or after the Helen Lawson Christmas Special?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2019 1:49 AM

Where's a balcony when you need one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2019 1:51 AM

Such a great talent!

And I don't care what anyone says, would have loved to have spent an evening at a bar/drinking party with Paul Lynde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2019 2:02 AM

This is so bad it's good. Can't wait to watch it this year, along with Mary's Incredible Dream!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2019 3:24 PM

Is this the one with the Rhinestone Trucker skit? FLA-MING.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2019 3:27 PM

R4 You would NOT have wanted to spend any time around Mr. Lynde drinking.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2019 3:30 PM

OP none of what you've said sounds bad! Cheesy with bad plot lines and awful disco songs?! Could you have written a more riveting advertisement for this??

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2019 3:32 PM

I smile just seeing Paul Linde's name.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2019 3:38 PM

Who's that, dear @ r9?

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2019 3:40 PM

The ultimate fun Halloween viewing party would be watching:

Paul's special

MTM's "Mary's Incredible Dream"

and

Bea Arthur's special w/Rock Hudson

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2019 11:10 PM

Was there any actual proof that Paul was gay?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 1:22 AM

R12 = Dora Dumfucke, ingenue

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 1:29 AM

OP you forgot to mention the musical performances by KISS, including an especially earnest, heartfelt "Beth"!

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 4:22 AM

R12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 4:31 AM

R4

Unless things have changed hit the Townhouse any night of the week and you'll find more than a few bitter old queens hitting the sauce that make PL look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

Heck over the years I'v worked with and or known socially more than a few Northeast and UK queens who put PL in the shade far as nasty drunks are concerned.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 5:42 AM

R13 reminds me of when Norm Macdonald went ballistic on Twitter saying that Behind the Candelabra was libelous because Liberace never admitted he was gay, therefore he wasn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 9:28 AM

Let us not forget this gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 3:58 PM

The Paul Lynde special commits the worst sin of all: it's boring

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 4:14 PM

A corn-saturated explosion of diarrhea, naturally.

But KISS was fabulous as ever. I'd rather watch their performances here than KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 5:20 PM

KISS was fantastic on the special. I was in heaven because the Wicked Witch of the West and Witchiepoo introduce them.

It was my first exposure to KISS and I was hooked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 8:55 PM

And what the everloving fuck was this all about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 1:21 AM

I loved it! Watched it on my phone late one Halloween night in a hotel room on Catalina Island. Hey, it's a memory.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 1:23 AM

Wow. KISS has superpowers

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 2:11 AM

A fun read about Kiss if they were always on your periphery and you wonder, "What was all that about?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 3:17 PM

I scored a copy of this about 17 years ago, pre-YouTube and threw a Halloween party centered around showing it to my guests. I would show stuff like Goldie & Liza, The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, Battle of the Network Stars, and ONJ's and The Carpenters' specials, so I thought the Paul Lynde special would be a huge success.

It laid there like a rank fart and nearly everyone got up and walked away from the TV before it was halfway over. I wound up shutting it off to save face. It is NOT good. It's not so bad that it's good. It's just bad.

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2019 7:08 PM

It has its campy charms.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2019 7:25 PM

No. It. Doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2019 3:10 AM

Oh good grief....it was fun...a product of it's time...brought back goofy memories of the 70's. TV was such a comforting pastime.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2019 3:25 AM

Sid and Marty Krofft were involved (and were also producers of the Brady Bunch variety specials). Why they were hired all the time throughout the late 60’s and 70’s is beyond my comprehension. They were flat out weird. Drugs must have been available in copious amounts.

I remember watching this as a young kid with my 70-something grandma, who loved Hollywood Squares Paul Lynde. When KISS appeared she went completely bananas. She thought they were Satan-incarnated.

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2019 6:31 AM

Sid & Marty Krofft actually had nothing to do with the Paul Lynde special.

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2019 3:27 PM

I can appreciate 1970s camp, such as those mentioned above like Goldie & Liza, The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, Battle of the Network Stars, and The Carpenters' specials, but this special was bland and boring, completely safe except for the inexplicable appearance of Kiss, but since i was never into them, they bored me as well.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2019 4:28 PM

Forget about Sid & Marty Krofft- How the fuck did Bruce Vilanch get so much writing work? He is a HORRIBLE joke writer. How does he even have a career?

by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2019 5:29 PM

Funny you should mention that, r26.

Carrie Fisher used to say that she would throw on THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL at the end of long parties to clear the guests out ON PURPOSE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2019 5:40 PM

They had to sign off on the use of Witchie-Poo in the show.

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2019 6:49 PM

That's not the same as having been involved in the show.

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2019 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!