Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Green Acres Appreciation Thread

The Ralph half of Alf and Ralph: non-binary before non-binary was even a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2020 9:18 PM

It doesn't matter if MY makeup is finished or not. When the pig's ready, we shoot.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2019 11:41 PM

Watching it as a kid I appreciated the sly humour. It GH is a very different show from other sitcoms from period, almost Dali-esque?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2019 12:23 AM

Anyone for hotscakes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2019 12:28 AM

Psychotic, once the characters got into their role. Oliver's "Mudder" comes for a visit, at the same time the Indians come to do their bear dance. Of course the chief likes the "Old squaw". Oliver feeds him one of Lisa's hotscakes to get rid of him. "Old squaw good looker but rotten cooker". Their dance actually bought a bear, which Oliver dispatched again by one the the hotscakes. For Christmas Lisa baked a fruitscake, which was hotscakes with whole pineapples, oranges and apples in it. She also strung whole ears of corn on the tree. The episode where Eb and Oliver see the UFP is LOL also.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2019 12:31 AM

As a kid I really disliked Mr. Haney.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2019 12:31 AM

Don't forget Arnold Ziffle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2019 12:37 AM

I loved the way Eb drove Oliver crazy by calling him dad. I AM NOT YOUR DAD.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2019 12:38 AM

R4 UFP? Unidentified Flying Pig?

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2019 12:40 AM

Or, this blast from the past!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2019 12:48 AM

Tom Lester is the only cast member still living.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2019 12:58 AM

I like how the show realized they had to change some of the characters. When the show debuted, Lisa was the sensible one and Oliver was the ditz. The producers realized it worked better the other way around. This is the same situation that happened on Andy Griffith Show, when Andy was the hick sheriff and Barney the straight man in the first few shows.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2019 1:09 AM

I had a young gayling crush on Lester. I like that type to this day. I think it's an underrated show.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2019 1:14 AM

That show was hilarious. I recall an episode where they talked about the Beverly hillbillies being their favorite show.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2019 1:20 AM

It was surreal. Anyhoo I just read that Lester went on to become a Baptist lay preacher. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2019 1:22 AM

I bet Tom Lester had a big cock. I would have been his daddy.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2019 1:23 AM

He had BDF.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]I recall an episode where they talked about the Beverly hillbillies being their favorite show.

It went beyond that, even. In one episode, they put on a play with Hank Kimball playing Jed, Lisa playing Granny and Oliver playing Jethro.

(Hillbilly talk with a Hungarian accent was hilarious.)

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2019 1:39 AM

Tom Lester is family. I always thought there was something between us.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2019 2:28 AM

METV on cable has been running the series. I occasionally catch an episode and it really is funny. I especially like Mr Kimball and Liz=sa. They have the best lines.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 2:32 AM

We honor Ralph, who inspired butch girls to explore and appreciate their construction acumen. Only to become our shoppers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2019 2:49 AM

Green Acres does The Beverly Hillbillies. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2019 3:00 AM

The towns they are always talking about Bugtussle, Hooterville, and Pixley were all cross-referenced on The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green Acres.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2019 3:23 AM

Eb breaks the forth wall, hilariously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2019 3:23 AM

R11

It was also that way in Burns and Allen (vaudeville), and George said Gracie got all the laughs with the straight lines.

Paul Henning was a writer for Burns and Allen in the later radio days and early TV days

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2019 3:52 AM

Here is the original radio pilot with Gale Gordon (who morphed into Oliver Douglas) and Bea Benaderet (who morphed into Lisa)

From March 30, 1950

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2019 9:38 AM

Gale Gordon makes an entrance. Should have been some crossovers with the Lucy franchise as well.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2019 10:25 AM

It was pure corn but I loved it as a kid. I guess my tastes ran to older men even then because I had a crush on Eddie Albert and I still think he is sexy. It's kind of hot thinking of seducing someone so uptight and strait-laced and always in a suit.

I think the chemistry between Eva & Eddie was terrific too.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2019 12:06 PM

I liked it when Lisa enrolled in a cooking class at the high school.

She said 'You knew when you married name all I could do was speak Hungarian and do impersonations of Zsa Zsa Gabor.'

Then on class the teacher says 'The way to a man:s heart is through his stomache.' And Lisa pipes in real fast 'Oh there are other ways.'

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2019 1:46 PM

The opening to South Park this season has been a take off on Green Acres opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2019 1:56 PM

Ralph was not non--binary, she was all woman. She liked to dress up, use make up and even heavily flirted with Oliver as well as Hank Kimball.

She was just never given the opportunity to because she was a builder.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2019 2:06 PM

Is it really strange that I found Hank Kimball sexy?

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2019 12:48 AM

Not at all, R32, Hank had a certain something.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2019 2:23 AM

R33

Like what?

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2019 3:53 AM

My parents must've parked me in front of the TV when I was a toddler--I have only vague memories of GA, but I loved it and it still gives me the feels. I want(ed) to be LIsa, married to Eddie Albert and having both the glam life and a farmhouse.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2019 5:09 AM

R31 Hanky (Alvy Moore) was the most requested speaker at County Agents conventions. Check out the episode where Lisa gets amnesia. (Always a great sitcom plot.) She makes Eggs Benedict and biscuits so light they float off the plate.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2019 8:02 PM

I always had my sights on that bald-headed stud Sam Drucker. I couldn't keep my eyes off the bulge in his apron.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2019 8:49 PM

Hooterville seemed to be a town filled with confirmed bachelors.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2019 10:04 PM

One of my favorite running gags in "Green Acres" relates to Lisa's problems with English. She'll say something obviously wrong and Oliver will condescendingly correct her. Then, a Hooterville native will turn up and say exactly what Lisa said.

I couldn't remember the exact words, so I pilfered this description from a review at IMDB:

[quote]One episode has Lisa, his wife, wanting to play some board games. She suggests they go down to Drucker's store to buy "Scramble" & "Monstrosity." Oliver explains to her, not a little condescendingly, that they're called "Scrabble" & "Monopoly." Like a father placating a bratty daughter, he whisks her off to the store, only to find the board games they have are... "Scramble" & Monstrosity"!

By the way, the IMDB reviews are worth a look. People have very fond feelings for this series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2019 11:39 PM

This show is the epitome of being ahead of its time. It's a shame that it got swept away with the rural show blow-up that happened with CBS. I still laugh out loud when I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2019 12:10 AM

The guy who played Sam Drucker had a sweet thing going. He got to appear on all three shows (BH, GA, PJ), like Richard Anderson on Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2019 12:39 AM

^^ That was Sam Cady. He had small roles in many movies in the 50s and 60s, including the husband of the tragic Hortense Daigle (DL fave Eileen Heckart) in The Bad Seed.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2019 11:26 AM

R11 I actually took it that Lisa (despite her protestations of returning to NY) acclimated easier and became more and more a part of Hooterville and Oliver never quite fit in.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2019 11:43 AM

Yep, Lisa was as nutty as the other town folk and that's what made it funny to me.

Looking back, Ava Gabor was pretty good comedienne. She was so believable and you rooted for her.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2019 11:51 AM

^^ She was Eva, dahling!

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2019 12:06 PM

R41 His name was Frank Cady, not Sam.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2019 12:09 PM

[quote]^^ She was Eva, dahling!

What evah!

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2019 8:51 PM

Eddie Arnold was a hot daddy as Oliver. He had a huge strong chest and big biceps.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2019 10:15 PM

I discovered this show due to DL and got the whole collection. I adore it.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2019 10:29 PM

r47 Eddie Albert, you mean. His son's name was Edward Albert and died one year after his father.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2019 11:57 PM

Lisa was the only sane person in Hooterville.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2019 12:29 AM

r50 it's Hootersville

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2019 12:41 AM

As a little gayling I loved saying, “Goodbye, city life!” the way Lisa said it.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2019 12:42 AM

Whenever my boyfriend suggests we do something I'm not thrilled about like going to a football game or going camping, my first response is usually, "Darling, I love you, but give me Park Avenue."

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2019 12:49 AM

I loved this show as a kid. Lisa climbing the telephone pole in a pink peignoir? That was genius. Later, I realized it would have taken 50 ft of two-wire for them to have the phone in their hovel, even then that was about 5 cents worth of copper.

That’s why so much of this worked.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 1:18 AM

Arnold the pig was a good plot line

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 3:00 AM

[quote]Arnold the pig was a good plot line

And an even better lunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 3:55 AM

A classic, so many hilarious moments. Eva Gabor was inspired casting and a delight. My husband and I tease each other about his hotcakes and shingling the roof! And wasn’t there a joke about the Hooterville drag races, when the men dress like women and race through town?

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 4:01 AM

The drag race was Monty Python.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 4:13 AM

I remember a very funny episode where a flamboyant hairdresser opens up shop. All the woman of Hooterville get all excited and can't wait to get an appointment. Apparently he has a secret past and the woman take advantage of the gossip. All they had to say is the word "Scranton" and he would embarrassingly clam up and cater to any unreasonable request

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2019 4:21 AM

I remember an episode during the original run that I've never seen in reruns.

The Ziffel house is going to be demolished and Doris Ziffel lies down in front of the bulldozer. The bulldozer operator said that he'll back up and come at the house at another direction, so Lisa lies down behind the bulldozer. The dialog may not be totally accurate, but it's close, and still very funny.

Fred Ziffel shouts out at Lisa, "Get up from there Mrs. Douglas, you're going to get hurt."

Doris Ziffel calls out, "What about me, Fred???"

Fred replies, "Shut up and lie down, Doris."

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2019 5:26 AM

As a kid, I always cackled when Lisa could see the "written bys" of the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2019 11:12 AM

It got more crazy and surreal, the same way Newhart did in the last three years.

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2019 1:13 PM

It got more crazy and surreal, the same way Newhart did in the last three years.

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2019 1:13 PM

Loved Oliver's mother (the formidable Eleanor Audley, voice of the only, true Malificent) who hated him and adored Lisa.

"Lisa, I told you not to marry that man!"

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2019 1:29 PM

[quote]As a kid, I always cackled when Lisa could see the "written bys" of the opening credits.

One that I especially enjoyed had Lisa seeing the director's name on a hotcake and mentioning it to Oliver. When he looked, there was nothing there.

She said, "No, it just stays there long enough for his mother to see it."

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 3:20 PM

Perpetually aggravated hotheads like Oliver have always been my favorite kind of sitcom character. Much like Joseph Kearns playing Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 3:29 PM

R41 Hortense is under a doctor's care. Frank's little dog was killed by the murderer in "Rear Window" as well.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 4:37 PM

I always liked the Filmways tag at the end of their shows:

Green Acres (Lisa): “This has been a Filmways Presentation dahling!”

Beverly Hillbillies (Elly May): “This has been a Filmways Presen-TAY-shun!”

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2019 8:59 PM

As much as I loved GA as a kid, I knew the series was on its last legs when the added the kid Lori in the final season.

Just like Cousin Oliver killed the Brady Bunch, Lori killed Green Acres.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2019 12:18 AM

Lori Baker played by Victoria Paige Meyerink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2019 12:22 AM

That picture reminded me of a scene. Oliver is working in the field and wonders where the scarecrow is. Eb says Stuffy is getting him a hamburger. Later, Eb is munching away and Stuffy is hanging there. Oliver says to Stuffy go get me one!

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2019 12:25 AM

Isn't Oliver's mother the same woman who played Fred MacMurray's mother-in-law on My Three Sons?

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2019 12:47 AM

Which one of you bitches works for MeTV?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2019 8:08 AM

I loved it when Lisa's mother showed up and both Haney and Uncle Joe thought she was wealthy and tried to pursue her.

Typical of Uncle Joe but Mr Haney was married, so I wonder if the writers forgot that or is Haney really THAT sleazy?

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2019 8:15 AM

There was an episode where Hank Kimball had a young girl assistant. Hank, Mr Ziffel , Eb, Sam Drucker Mr Haney all tried to get a date with her to a town dance. Hilarity ensued.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2019 8:36 AM

Oliver: I want 200 chicks

Mr Drucker: Sexed or unsexed?

Oliver: Sexed

Lisa: Why do you want sexy chickens?

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2019 9:33 AM

Ralph: I won't tell, my lips are sealed.

Mr Kimball: Now if we could only keep them that way.

Ralph: If you weren't so sexy, I'd beat your brains out!

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2019 9:36 AM

Mr Haney's first name was Eustace

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2019 9:37 AM

Lisa: Remember when we wanted to get married and you were trying to make money as a lawyer, and you threw your first case.

Oliver: I didn't throw it. I lost it.

Lisa: The judge said the only way to lose that case was to throw it.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2019 9:43 AM

Eve Gabor was on the Tonight show with Arnold the pig and Arnold peed on her gown. Carson fell apart laughing and Eva just laughed about it. She was really cool.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2019 10:09 AM

r80

she was a piss freak? wow first a lez now this.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2019 10:17 AM

I'm a huge Green Acres fan and I have never heard about Lori until this thread. How did I miss that? I guess those episodes were never in reruns?

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2019 10:20 AM

R82. Lori Baker was only in the sixth season, the final season. Perhaps that season wasn't widely syndicated. The final season was by far its weakest.

IMDB says that Lori only appeared in five episodes. I thought Lori was there for a lot more episodes than that, but maybe I'm wrong (although IMDB has gotten things wrong in the past). The Wikipedia entry on Green Acres doesn't even mention Lori.

As a kid, all I really remember is that Lori seemed forced into the show, just like Cousin Oliver was on Brady Bunch. She didn't belong there for more than an episode, in my opinion. Her continued presence changed all the dynamics in a not good way.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2019 11:28 AM

Lori started out with a group of other city children who were sent to spend some time on a farm. Then the other children (Lori was the only female) returned but Lori got left behind. The Douglas's kept her for a few more episodes. She was never intended to be a long term character and she wasn't on long. I think Cousin Oliver was only on six episodes of "the Brady Bunch."

Children, no matter who, really never worked on Green Acres, because it was too wacky and children would put too much realism into it. Outside of children holding a sit in to get Arnold reinstated into school (which btw, the children got him expelled by picking on him), none of them were funny.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2019 3:25 PM

Lisa) It's a week later

Oliver) I know it's a week later. You don't have to march in here and announce that.

Lisa) Well, that's how they always do it in the movies. It's either somebody comes in carrying a sign which says, "Here it is a week later." Or a calendar falls apart for a week. Or somebody comes out and says, "That week sure went by fast."

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2019 3:26 PM

Hooterville? Sounds like a mating place for owls

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2019 3:45 PM

Pixley's zip code is 96344821756

Hooterville's zip code is 3

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2019 3:49 PM

That ain't the whole evenin'. Afterwards, we go bowling. Then we have a bite at the diner. Dutch treat, of course. I always go dutch on the first date. In case I don't like you, I ain't out nothin'.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2019 3:57 PM

R84 Hanky Kimball's niece was a hoot. Comes to visit, I am Hank Kimball's niece, well not really his niece, more like...Oliver: I see the family resemblance!

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2019 4:17 PM

I had a friend that had a house like that. If you opened the front door, the doorknob came off in your hand. Every time, something like that happened, someone would start singing the opening line, "da-da-da-da-da".

by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2019 4:51 PM

Such a funny show- great characters.

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2019 5:02 PM

Lisa) Why is it that every time I say I go back to New York unless you fix up this place, I never go and you never fix it.

Oliver) It's a privilege to live in a place like this, this is part of America.

Lisa) One of the worst parts.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2019 5:04 PM

The Hoyt Clagwell factory was in Fargo

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2019 5:05 PM

I don't know who keeps posting the meta quotes from Green Acres, but thanks! Do you see any where Lisa has normalized to the town being weird, and Oliver is odd man out?

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2019 9:11 PM

There was some episode where they taken into the past. Lisa gets a job at music hall and the owner says "can you can-can?' Lisa: "no, but I can try try". I don't why remembered that but that makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2019 4:04 PM

Girls can play softball without being lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2019 4:07 PM

Green Acres? More like "Yuck Manor"

by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2019 4:10 PM

Loved the show, but it turns out Ted Cruz sounds and looks just like Mr. Haney and like him, is also a miserable cheat.

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2019 4:24 PM

Here's the picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 17, 2019 4:25 PM

Mr. Haney was a joyful swindler!

by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2019 11:55 PM

Eb's often mentioned but rarely seen girlfriend was Darlene Wheeler. She was an off-screen character for several seasons, but they finally cast Darlene in the final season. Darlene appeared in six episodes according to IMDB The actress who played her was a named Judith McConnell.

McConnell went on to be a soap star, best known for playing matriarch Sophia Capwell on Santa Barbara.

She also played Miranda Bishop on Another World and Valerie Conway on As the World Turns, plus Augusta McCloud on early 1970s General Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 19, 2019 3:01 AM

They did great casting with the pigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 19, 2019 3:22 AM

I remember the crazy excuses they used to never fix the shit hole they lived in. I believe early on they were going to remodel and my Haney produced a plaque showing the house to have some historical significance. Then later they were going to paint the exterior and the paint would get sucked into the wood. Eventually they found the “pore key hole” and locked it. The house then would gasp for air so they gave up. Crazy shit.

by Anonymousreply 103October 19, 2019 12:19 PM

My BF bought a house on the outskirts of the county. I call him Lisa Douglas, and ask if Arnold the Pig is okay. He's a rather prim and proper gay man, and never knew the hazards of rural living. I loved the series when it was on. He sends me texts when he has deer, raccoons, or vultures in his yard. I had a huge crush on Eva Gabor.

by Anonymousreply 104October 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Young Eddie Albert was pretty handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 4, 2020 4:28 AM

I bet Eb was hung.

by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2020 9:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!