Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

USSF soldier on Kurdish slaughter: "I am ashamed for the first time in my career."

@JenGriffinFNC 6 hours ago, 7 tweets, 2 min read

I just spoke to a distraught US Special Forces soldier who is among the 1000 or so US troops in Syria tonight who is serving alongside the SDF Kurdish forces. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have ever taken.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career."

This veteran US Special forces soldier has trained indigenous forces on multiple continents. He is on the frontlines tonight and said they are witnessing Turkish atrocities.

"Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It's horrible," this military source on the ground told me.

"We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement. There was NO threat to the Turks - NONE - from this side of the border."

"This is insanity," the concerned US service member told me. "I don't know what they call atrocities but they are happening."

This American soldier told me the Kurds have not left their positions guarding the ISIS prisoners. In fact "they prevented a prison break last night without us."

"They are not abandoning our side (yet)."

The Kurds are "pleading for our support." We are doing "nothing."

Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were "surprised" by the decision Sunday night.

Of the President's decision: "He doesn't understand the problem. He doesn't understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level headed actor."

Acc to this US soldier on the ground tonight in Syria: "The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone. "It's a shame. It's horrible." "This is not helping the ISIS fight." Re: ISIS prisoners: "Many of them will be free in the coming days and weeks."

This US Special Forces soldier wanted me to know: "The Kurds are sticking by us. No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Disappointed in the decisions coming from their senior leaders.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 12:25 PM

Wise words from him. Sadly no-one in the WH will pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2019 3:49 AM

I hope the freed ISIS prisoners head directly for Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2019 3:50 AM

I really hope that Pat Robertson meant it when he said that Trump would "lose his mandate from god" if allowed Turkey to invade Syria. Having the evangelicals turn on him would go a long way is getting this assclown out of office.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2019 3:50 AM

From this list of Trump's business interests globally (list was made in 2017, there are probably more that have been discovered since then). Can you imagine if Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn was still the National Security Advisor?

Turkey

Trump has a licensing deal to use his name on two luxury towers in Istanbul, one commercial and the other residential. By his own admission, the project, for which he earned up to $5 million in 2015, presents complications for the incoming President. “I have a little conflict of interest ’cause I have a major, major building in Istanbul,” Trump told his future White House strategist Steve Bannon in December 2015, during an interview on Bannon’s radio show. “It’s a tremendously successful job. It’s called Trump Towers—two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it’s two.” Trump also has a licensing deal with Dorya International, a Turkish design company, to manufacture Trump branded furniture. These substantial holdings may already be shaping Trump’s stance toward Turkey, a key geopolitical ally and vital player in the fight against the Islamic State. Trump’s call for a ban on Muslims entering the U.S. drew sharp criticism from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan; soon after, Trump defended the Turkish strongman, saying he had a right to crack down on dissidents after a failed coup attempt. When Erdoğan called Trump after his election, according to media reports, Trump used the occasion to praise his Turkish business partners, whose corporate shares leaped after Election night. Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, Trump’s incoming national security advisor, wrote an op-ed on Election Day that cast Fethullah Gülen, a cleric based in the U.S. whom Erdoğan publicly accused of orchestrating the failed coup, as a “radical.” As President, Trump will have the power to extradite Gülen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2019 3:57 AM

I love how he talks like the buildings in Turkey are his. They could fall down tomorrow and the only thing he'd be out are license fees.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2019 4:03 AM

With as leveraged as he is reported to be, he probably needs every bit of cash flow to stay solvent.

In fact I'm curious if Trump's main company was headed for a massive bankruptcy before he became President.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2019 4:05 AM

I don't know if Op realizes it or not but that story either ran in, or originated from, the Washington Examiner, an extreme right wing publication. Maybe the tide is finally turning on Trump?

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2019 4:20 AM

R7 not sure what you are talking about with "the story running first" - it is from a Twitter thread from a Fox News Channel National Security Analyst. It's being referenced all over news and pundit Twitter right now.

And yeah I was surprised it was from FNC too. It does look like this will be a much bigger deal than Trump was expecting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2019 4:25 AM

What I'm saying r8, is that it appears those tweets made it to an article in the Washington Examiner, which is more extreme right wing than Fox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2019 4:56 AM

The Turks have a decades long enmity with the Kurds ( especially the PKK Kurdistan Workers Party ), they don’t want the Kurds to have autonomy - especially a homeland of their own. The biggest fear that the Turks have is that the Kurds will succeed in building a nation state of their own right near the Turkish border. Moreover, the Kurds have so far shown themselves to be a lot more secular than the many other groups fighting ISIS, and they have also accused Erdorgan of secretly supplying ISIS and many of the other other terrorist groups they’re fighting against with weapons.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2019 5:28 AM

Then the soldier needs to read up on history and the political views of the Kurds. He should be saying, "I feel stupid for not reading and understanding the situation, yet feeling I know enough to make an intelligent comment, when I don't."

I don't necessarily agree with the Turks but the Kurds do pose a threat to Turkey.

And it's oddly funny considering the Serbs have been Western allies for centuries yet Obama and Clinton stabbed them in the back first chance to support those who actively aided Nazi Germany.

It's funny how the "shame" applies only to the OP who wants to set his agenda without actually knowing anything at all.

Nice try, ready your history and come back when you want to post THE facts, not your agenda

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2019 5:59 AM

So Turkey kind of sucks, I take it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2019 5:59 AM

r11 - my God - I was reading your spiel until you got the Serbs.

Hello, Ivan.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2019 6:10 AM

Hopefully this will take Trump down even if the past one million offences never did.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2019 6:38 AM

R11 is such an obvious paid troll post I'm not even sure where to begin. It's verbiage is obviously foreign and the last two lines show it didn't understand the OP at all. It almost seems cut and pasted together from various angry arguments, but together they don't really make coherent sense.

I'm not surprised notoriously thin-skinned snowflake Erdogan has trolls combing the web for posts like this, probably with the help of Russia.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2019 6:45 AM

Why can;t I see r11s post? I don't have anyone on block but the post is missing from the thread

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2019 9:12 AM

R16 the post has been F&Fed, if you want to see it you have to turn up your settings on how many troll posts you want to read.

I'm seeing evidence of people like that in the other Turkey threads who are obviously posting from Turkey or are paid to do so in support of Erdogan.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2019 2:12 PM

Kurdish bump

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2019 12:13 PM

That soldier would still probably vote for Trump in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 12:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!