Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life with Lucy is Coming to DVD

With all the unaired episodes. Did anyone see this trainwreck when it originally aired??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 8:23 PM

I think I saw the first episode. I never loved her in her original series (actually, I couldn't stand her.) Her two subsequent series sucked without a hot Cuban to look at. I know Desi couldn't stand her either. In my head, Ricky had quite the casting couch with his band members.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2019 5:32 AM

I saw half of an episode when it aired originally. Those 12 minutes taught me that

1) She was past her prime and needed to retire

2) Confirmed Richard Burton's diary post [QUOTE]Burton wrote in in memoirs, “She is a MONSTER of staggering charmlessness and monumental lack of humor….Milady Ball can thank her lucky stars that I’m not drinking. There is a chance if I had, I might have killed her!” She even lectured Burton where to stand on stage.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2019 5:45 AM

Underappreciated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 6:12 PM

That article is generous. And repeated comparisons to Urkel and That’s So Raven don’t exactly make the argument that it’s some lost treasure. On the contrary it seems to say, well this other crap was popular so Life With Lucy should have been too. Not how it works.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 7:27 PM

I watched some of the crappy transfers on youtube, and I don't think it was horrible. It was no worse than many sitcoms of the 1980s that ran for a lot longer. Honestly, I think she was a victim of ageism. People just weren't comfortable seeing her be older and they didn't like seeing an older woman doing physical comedy. Meanwhile, if Carol Burnett tried something similar, today, she would be lionized as empowering older women.

That being said, the family was horrible. Gail Gordon, however, was the best he had been in years. And, the episode with Audrey Meadows as her sister was great. Lucy should have ditched the family, and made it a more slapstick Golden Girls, with her, Gale, Audrey, and a few other older tv stars.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 10:07 PM

The family was fucking terrible. So boring. She needed a stronger supporting cast, but maybe she didn't like anyone pulling focus. Reminds me of the terrible milquetoast supporting cast for Bea Arthur in Amanda's By the Sea, when she was surrounded by charisma vacuums.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 10:31 PM

At least it had Eydie Gorme singing the theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 10:36 PM

I was hoping for "Death with Desi!"

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 10:39 PM

Aaron Spelling was responsible for that shit? What happened to the has-been guest stars? May with them the series could have lasted more than a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 1:11 AM

After this show tanked she went into a decline. Apparently she was a workaholic and control freak who was used to doing a weekly tv series for decades. When that was over, she was lost. There was no focus to her life anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 2:05 AM

I once asked my mom why old people like wearing bright colored track suits, like that hideous light blue one Lucy wears in those credits. She said, "Track suits because they are so comfortable, and bright colors because as as people get old they often wear bright colors more and more so they don't feel invisible." She added, "That does not mean young people necessarily want to SEE old people in bright colored track suits."

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote]After this show tanked she went into a decline. Apparently she was a workaholic and control freak who was used to doing a weekly tv series for decades. When that was over, she was lost. There was no focus to her life anymore.

Thank goodness. At least it saved us from "Mame II - She's BACK!"

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 2:31 AM

She'd been off the air for awhile. I don't think it was the workaholic/focus thing. It was years of smoking and drinking and the sad knowledge that there was no coming back. She was awful and the premise was just a rehash of her previous shows, complete with (at her insistence) Madelyn Pugh and Bob carroll, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2019 3:04 AM

And she hired a sound engineer who was nearly deaf!

Spelling was involved but couldn't stop Ball from doing obviously bad stuff like this.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Apparently she was a workaholic and control freak who was used to doing a weekly tv series for decades. When that was over, she was lost. There was no focus to her life anymore.

Lucy had no interests or passions outside of working in television. Well, that and smoking cigarettes. When she no longer had a weekly series to work on, she really was adrift because there was nothing else that really interested her. Her life after that, except for a few one-off tv projects every few years, was basically spent at home playing backgammon, smoking, and bossing Gary around.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 3:13 AM

I saw it when it first aired. It was absolutely horrible. Far from "par for the course" for its day. The worst of it was that it absolutely killed the wonderfully funny show that followed it -The Ellen Burstyn Show,. That show had Elaine Stritch as EB's mother and was well-written and funny, but audiences fled the channel to get away from Lucy's fallout.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 3:18 AM

OMG R16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 3:28 AM

Elaine was all of 7 years older than daughter Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 3:32 AM

ABC talked with her for 7 years before this show premiered. It doesn't sound like she was all that anxious to get back into doing a series.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 3:34 AM

Party at Larry Anderson's house after the show was cancelled

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 3:38 AM

[quote]Richard Burton's diary post: “She is a MONSTER of staggering charmlessness and monumental lack of humor….Milady Ball can thank her lucky stars that I’m not drinking. There is a chance if I had, I might have killed her!”

Ball and Burton were both absolutely miserable when they drank, which was frequently, and often absolutely miserable when they didn't drink.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2019 3:48 AM

Thank you, thank you [17]!

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2019 4:51 AM

I saw it, and have it all on DVD transferred from someone's old VHS tapes. 13 episodes in all. And I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2019 4:55 AM

R23 clearly has no hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2019 11:05 PM

The old bitch raped me.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 2:03 AM

^ He actually died in 2005.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2019 2:19 AM

^From PTSD caused by being raped by this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 3:19 AM

Wow, in #7's clip she was really trying hard. I was surprised at her physicality when she would be dead just 3 years later.

"Aaron Spelling attributed the failure of the show to his decision to allow Ball to do the same type of shows she had done in the past. Spelling said that at her age the audience were more worried for her safety than laughing at her pratfalls. He took the blame for allowing her full creative control..."

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 3:36 AM

I don't think "safety" had anything to do with it. She was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!