Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deep Down, You know You're Full of It- Which Famous, Classic Novels You Promise Yourself You'll Read....

someday, but, in all honesty, you won't?

Ulysses

Anything by Jane Austin or Tolstoy

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 8:55 PM

Not a novel but — Beowulf.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2019 3:22 PM

"Les Miserables". I tried a chapter a night, determined to get through it, and that lasted a week. I also don't want to admit how many unread copies of it I have.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2019 3:22 PM

I JUST finished Crime and Punishment and by the end I want to kill myself too ! Many moons ago I took a world literature class and we were assigned that book to read and do a report on and I only made it a quarter of the way through and just couldnt finish it. I took an incomplete on the assignment and vowed one day to slog through it. I hated every second of it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2019 3:24 PM

I sincerely tried to read "The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling" by Henry Fielding from 1749, one of the earliest novels ever published, and I thought I was going to die from boredom.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2019 3:24 PM

Catch-22

The Scarlet Letter

Remembrance of Things Past

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2019 3:25 PM

It's Jane Austen, OP. Not Austin.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2019 3:27 PM

War and Peace

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2019 3:28 PM

One day, I started "The Catcher in the Rye". I lasted 3 pages. I couldn't stand Holden Caulfield.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2019 3:28 PM

Thank You, r6, I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2019 3:29 PM

Anything by Faulkner. I’ve tried.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2019 3:29 PM

I'm with you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2019 3:30 PM

Glamourama. It got so disgusting I couldn't finish it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2019 3:30 PM

R8, you're not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2019 3:31 PM

Ulysses is on my list. I just need a block of time to get through it without distractions. Perhaps rent a beach cottage for a week or two. (I'd better make it two weeks.)

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2019 3:32 PM

My ability to concentrate on reading a novel is diminished.

I blame age and that my brain is re-wired from the short-burst conditioning of reading the internet for the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2019 3:35 PM

To each his/her own.

While I understand someone struggling with James Joyce or Proust, some of these authors are quite readable. Jane Austen and (to a lesser degree) Edith Wharton remain popular because 1) they write well about love, sex, manners, and money and 2) their styles are accessible to contemporary audiences. I have a terrible time with Henry James, by contrast.

If you don't like "Catcher In The Rye" because of the narrator, Salinger wrote some wonderful short stories you could try instead.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2019 3:50 PM

Della, aren't you a librarian?

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2019 4:40 PM

No, r17, although I'd be very proud to say so.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2019 4:45 PM

Austin- ✅

Tolstoy - I’d have to start drinking again... 🍺

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2019 4:49 PM

I've never read Faulkner or James. I tried. I won't again.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2019 6:50 PM

I found James quite readable. Faulkner and Joyce were my stumbling blocks. Who knows? Maybe I'll give [italic]Gravity's Rainbow[/italic] one last try. I remember liking it, then stalling out, twice. [italic]The Crying of Lot 49[/italic] is the only Pynchon book I've finished.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2019 9:25 PM

I have tried to read David Copperfield twice and I’ve never made it past the first 100 pages. So boring.

Conversely, I devoured War and Peace, absolutely loved it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2019 9:35 PM

The Quiet American, Graham Greene.

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2019 1:13 AM

I feel awful admitting this, but I can’t get through anything by Toni Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2019 2:10 AM

All of them as I have stopped reading great literature. Maybe I will again in retirement. I will listen to audio books. I listened to The Brothers Karamazov this summer. I was surprised I can follow French ones better through audio than reading in French.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2019 2:18 AM

Edith Wharton is good on audio.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2019 2:20 AM

War and Peace is highly readable--and you can skip the battle scenes if you want--there's still a wonderful story with Natasha, Andre and Pierre. I loved it--read it right after college and couldn't put it down. Don't be intimidated by the very beginning, which I remember was sort of..oh no (but it's many years ago that I read it). Just get a few pages in and you'll be hooked. Jane Austen's books are virtually all great reads.

I was completely unable to read past the first chapter of Ulysses. I don't expect I ever will. I also could not get into Crime and Punishment--too much dread once I realized what was coming. However, I read quite a few other Dostoyevsky novels. I think the best one is probably The Brothers Karamazov, but also the Idiot and The Possessed (also called The Demons). The only Pynchons I've read are Crying of Lot 49 and Vineland, which was probably from the 90s and was very funny. Could not and never will read Gravity's Rainbow. Also couldn't stand Beloved (the only T. Morrison I read--for a class years ago). Read As I Lay Dying and Sound and the Fury (both for class) and hated both. Am not a Faulkner fan.

Henry James' short stories are often great and his earliest novels are quite readable--What Maisie Knew, the Princess Cassmassima, the Bostonians, the Americans. Even Portrait of a Lady once you get into it. The late novels (Ambassadors, Golden Bowl, Wings of the Dove) are written as if in another language--James dictated them to a secretary and probably never read them himself I think is the story. Don't torture yourself unless someone is holding a gun to your head. Edith Wharton has some quite good stuff--The Age of Innocence and House of Mirth are both very readable.

Some of Dickens is very good--David Copperfield doesn't stand out in my mind but I don't remember it being difficult. Great Expectations is wonderful. Bleak House, while very long, is mesmerizing.

I did read the first book of In Search of Lost Time, again for a class many years ago--French Lit in translation, but never read further. Of the other French classics--Madame Bovary is quite compelling. I did read The Hunchback of ND when I was a kid. Have never read any Balzac or Zola. Anybody have suggestions. I do read French but it would be a slog so I'd only do it in translation.

If you want to try some Hardy, I remember not exactly enjoying The Mayor of Casterbridge (maybe the only Hardy I read) but not difficult, just strange and unique.

Oh yeah--Moby Dick. Got as far as the "Cetaceans" chapter--halfway though maybe--and just couldn't finish it.

The writer I wish I could get myself to read more of (have only read one) is the great Spanish novelist, Javier Marias. I read "In the Battle Think on Me" which is a murder mystery and also quite droll, but I just can't get myself into reading "literature" any more.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2019 4:06 AM

Ulysses for me, too.

Also Middlemarch.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2019 4:18 AM

r27 again (I'm such a bore)--I did try "Middlemarch" at least 3 times. Just couldn't hack it. I give up. Life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2019 4:24 AM

Jane 'Austin'

It's 'Austen', you mega spaz.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2019 4:26 AM

R30: we know

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2019 4:29 AM

Gosh I've read almost all of these. I do find some others difficult. And sometimes the subject manner. Why is Anna Karenina so beloved? That fucker knew nothing about women.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2019 5:01 AM

How can you not read Jane Austen OP? That’s insane. She’s easily readable.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2019 3:31 PM

The Art of the Deal

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2019 4:37 PM

Another vote for Middlemarch.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2019 4:55 PM

You'll love Tolstoy, OP. He was the best-selling author of his time so, despite the size of his novels, they are incredibly engaging, worldly and pleasant to read. His ability to assess human character and paint it in the most interesting way possible is astounding. Also, for a poster above, he was a true feminist and it shows in Karenina and in it's predecessor, the short story The Kreutzer Sonata. He did know a lot about women and was very compassionate. There are also a LOT of surprise gay moments (he was likely bisexual), especially in War and Peace.

My personal novel to conquer is A la Recherche du Temps Perdu. I have started it several times and was never able to go beyond page 89. And the funny thing is that it's because I love it too much. It gives me too much to think about and overwhelms me. It's the same with Plato, whose dialogues I've yet to finish.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2019 5:07 PM

There are surprise gay moments in War and Peace?!

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2019 5:13 PM

r27, I highly recommend two books from Emile Zola's Rougon-Macquart series: La Terre (1887) and La Débâcle (1892), which follow the experiences of Jean Macquart, first as a farmer in the Beauce and then as a soldier in the Franco-Prussian War; La Débâcle is of particular interest for its homoerotic subtext.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2019 5:20 PM

R37, oh yes, there are! And several of them. And not some of those maybe-maybe-not moments. No, it's all stated quite clearly in plain language. Gotta love Tolstoy!

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2019 5:28 PM

r39, can you provide examples. I read War & Peace over a decade ago and I don't recall anything gay in it.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2019 7:13 PM

R40, without spoiling it for future readers and off the top of my head (I haven't read it in over a decade too): the parade of Tzar Alexander; Pierre Bezukhov's dream (or was it a fantasy?); and when Nikolai Rostov got himself a young adjutant. I'm sure there were more.

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2019 7:18 PM

For me the hardest get through has always been Celine Voyage au bout de la nuit. It's because I heard he was a fascist sympathizer. It shouldn't affect me, but it does.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2019 5:01 AM

Dog-eared bump

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 1:09 PM

LotR (Couldn't get past the first book, but that was years ago. Maybe my having seen & loved the film trilogy will get me through it whenever I give it another shot)

War and Peace (I loved Anna Karenina & Ivan Ilyich in college, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. It's the length that's off-putting)

Remembrance of Things Past (once again, the length - and the commitment)

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Moby Dick

Anna Karenina

A Tale of Two Cities

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2019 1:21 AM

Probably anything by Dickens and Franzen.

"The Great Gatsby" (Fitzgerald) was surprisingly enjoyable and easy to read, though.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2019 1:54 AM

Why were you surprised Fitzgerald was a good read? It is one of THE Great American Novels for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2019 1:57 AM

Moby Dick

Don Quixote

Pride and Prejudice

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Magic Mountain

The Good Earth

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2019 2:10 AM

I love Jane Austen. I was surprised to learn that Mark Twain didn't -- he said that he hated spending time with too many of her characters because they were such unpleasant people, which is true. But the funny thing is that he loved cats, who would be highly unpleasant people if they were human -- vain, self-absorbed, selfish, etc. Odd that Mark Twain could appreciate cats but not the characters that Jane Austen drew so well as examples of human frailty. I love them all -- Austen, Twain, especially cats.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2019 2:39 AM

Steinbeck was the big gap I noticed in my literature education, and I've never been able to make myself sit down with East of Eden or The Grapes of Wrath for recreational reading. Maybe once my favorite horror writers have all passed away I'll get bored enough to give them a try.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2019 3:23 AM

You’re not missing anything, R8.

OP, on the other hand, is. Jane Austen is great.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 3:27 AM

[quote] Why were you surprised Fitzgerald was a good read? It is one of THE Great American Novels for a reason.

I thought that's what this thread was about: famous, classic novels that you just can't get through.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2019 3:36 AM

East of Eden is fabulous. It sticks with you long after reading.

Another vote for War & Peace. So light and witty despite the setting. It transcends time.

Faulkner is my mental roadblock. Is the end result worth slogging through his stream of consciousness prose?

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2019 3:38 AM

R52, et al: "The Great Gatsby" is also extremely short, hard to get bogged down before you suddenly find yourself at the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2019 3:51 AM

I've tried to reread Gatsby twice recently and I just can't work up an interest. Mind you, the plot is firmly embedded in my mind even though I read it in high school.

Jane Austen, I reread her novels regularly, except for Northanger Abbey. OP, Pride and Prejudice is her most popular and best? book, it's dense but there are some very funny snarky bits.

To the poster who couldn't get into David Copperfield, it's a soap opera! The plot races from one cliffhanger to the next. Same with Oliver Twist. Great Expectations is epic. It's not until you get to Little Nell that you feel like vomiting.

OTOH, life is too short for Thomas Hardy. I was praying ev ery page that Tess would die.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2019 4:09 AM

[quote] East of Eden is fabulous. It sticks with you long after reading.

Agreed. Loved that book. Also loved "Of Mice and Men" (Steinbeck as well).

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2019 5:12 AM

"So Dark the Waves on Biscayne Bay" by Barbara Thorndyke

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2019 5:45 AM

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Sense and Sensibility

Women in Love

The Last of the Mohicans

Gormenghast

The Brothers Karamazov

In the original:

La Reine Margot

Мастер и Маргарита (Master and Margarita)

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2019 6:05 AM

I've read all of Faulkner's canon. I love him. But I couldn't get past 100 pages or so of Infinite Jest. So try-hard.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2019 6:44 AM

Grapes of Wrath Vanity Fair Dr. Zhivago In Cold Blood The Magus The Bell Jar

I managed to read The Old Man and the Sea, but I never was able to finish another Hemingway book.

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2019 7:43 AM

Trollope.

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2019 8:03 AM

[quote]My ability to concentrate on reading a novel is diminished.

I've found this to be the case with me as well in the 20 years since I first jumped online, and it kind of breaks my heart. I used to read dozens of books a year, and now it's nowhere near that. It's not only the 'rewiring' of the brain from consuming info in internet-sized bites, but also simply that a lot of the leisure time I used to employ to read novels is now eaten up by online activity. By the time I'm finished reading so many articles, posts and other stuff online, often the last thing I want to do is go read some more, no matter how much I love it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2019 8:11 AM

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2019 8:31 AM

[quote] OTOH, life is too short for Thomas Hardy. I was praying ev ery page that Tess would die.

r55, I'm the poster who can't get into David Copperfield and I argue that Hardy is far more of a soap writer than Dickens (at least, the kind of soap operas I like): my first Hardy was The Mayor of Casterbridge and I was absolutely entranced -- one day, I was reading it in the breakroom at work and a major, narrative-altering revelation occurs and I literally gasped out loud and everyone turned! Hardy is magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2019 1:53 PM

Well, I never dared go back after Tess but I'll keep that in mind.

East of Eden, mentioned above. Now I read that one summer vacation from college and I stayed up all night to finish it. That Cathy! The movie only covers a fraction of the book. To me it seemed very different from his other novels, much more sensational.

My novel reading has also declined since I got an ipad. Jes' too much stuff happening in the world. But I reread Grapes of Wrath and Huckleberry Finn during an off shore sailing trip and was amazed at how much I enjoyed them, didn't want the books to end!

by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2019 3:32 PM

I brought Jude the Obscure to read one summer on the beach in Europe for vacation.

I was an odd teenager.

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 3:34 AM

The Iliad. A friend of mine gave me her copy in high school all neatly annotated with perfect handwriting and I have never gotten rid of it. Yet I have no desire to read it at all.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 12:22 PM

Thomas Mann, Magic Mountain. It was on my mother's bookshelf and every year when I'd come back from college I'd try to read it, would get 100 pages in and give up; tried 2 or 3 times. I read Buddenbrooks for a class as an undergrad and really liked it, and and of course Death in Venice (which is a novella anyway), but MM had no magic for me that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2019 6:28 PM

I’ll just wait for the movie

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2019 6:47 PM

I limped thru "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and no more Hemingway for me. I just retuned some sort of Faulkner anthology , unreadable. I just bought paperback of Anna Karenina, so wish me luck

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Not a classic novel, but Noam Chomsky. Who the hell actually reads that?

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2019 7:25 PM

Many of my favourite novels are being cited in this thread. I liked The Magic Mountain so much that when I finished reading it I started re-reading it immediately. I'm also a frequent re-reader of Vanity Fair.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2019 7:38 PM

R60, it's been over twenty years since I read The Old Man and the Sea, and I've had never felt the desire to revisit Hemingway.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2019 7:54 PM

I won't ever read most of Faulkner, Proust, and James Joyce. I've read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, and the Brontes and Jane Austen, and but only the most popular Dickens. I love Edith Wharton and I re-read my Mary Renault novels probably once every two years.

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2019 8:31 PM

I really enjoyed The Scarlet Letter, to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote] my first Hardy was The Mayor of Casterbridge and I was absolutely entranced -- one day, I was reading it in the breakroom at work and a major, narrative-altering revelation occurs and I literally gasped out loud and everyone turned!

"Mary!" they cried in unison!

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2019 8:52 PM

I 'don't do homework.

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!