Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Hollywood owe Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar?

I mean they did kill his brother. It's the least they could do.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 5:36 AM

No, they don't. They already gave one out to Heath, which I'm not sure he deserved or if it was a death Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2019 8:50 PM

Hollywood didn't kill River and they certainly don't owe Joaquin squat !

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2019 9:08 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, Hollywood didn't "kill" River Phoenix. HE killed himself by being a hard core druggie.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2019 9:16 PM

Actually John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers did kill River by giving him a drink with eight times the heroin and coke to kill a person. His parents were also completely worthless and parasites of the fist order. It's amazing Joaquin is still here and so enormously talented.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2019 9:20 PM

Do they give out Oscars, 2nd Class?

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2019 9:27 PM

Joaquin killed River by not calling an ambulance and trying to hide him from authorities. He had a seizure on the sidewalk while Joaquin and their sister panicked instead of getting help.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2019 9:32 PM

Not fair R6 - he was trying to protect his brother. Frusciante murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2019 9:37 PM

R4 I just read the re-telling of what you stated and it's shocking. Why is this not general knowledge? How is John Frusciante not responsible or charged with anything?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2019 9:43 PM

One is not owed anything in life.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2019 9:44 PM

The Phoenix family declined to prosecute Frusciante. Probably because with River dead they needed Joaquin to become their new meal ticket. They didn't want the scandal hanging over him.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2019 9:47 PM

Oscars are irrelevant. They're just the popular kids giving each other awards. They mean nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2019 9:51 PM

I think R10 nailed it. The family did not want a scandal. A few years later Frusciante was asked about River's death in an interview and stated that River was "better off because he was miserable and did not want to live". WTF. He also argued with Samantha Mathis after dosing River at the Viper Room. Samantha screamed "WHAT DID YOU GIVE HIM!!!!!" and Frusciante said "Get away from him you're ruining his high". He's a disgusting human being.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2019 9:54 PM

He should win one eventually but the fact that two different people could win Oscars for playing the Joker is excessive

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2019 10:11 PM

Oscars mean a lot. R11, probably G, is talking shit she doesn't know anything about.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2019 10:12 PM

R13, two different actors won for playing Vito Corleone.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2019 10:13 PM

R12 this makes me glad the grimy cunt went on to be a mental case.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2019 10:39 PM

He has no range. Angry. Lonely. Weirdo. Over and over and over. I suppose in "Her" he wasn't angry.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2019 10:59 PM

He's a brilliant actor & should have done for Two Lovers or The Masters. Only Daniel Day Lewis is in his league.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2019 11:07 PM

At a memorial service for River Phoenix everybody was talking like "he was an eighty year old man who died in his sleep", as one person put it. It was his time to go, and now his spirit is free, or shit like that. This is from a biography of Phoenix called "Lost in Hollywood: the fast times and short life of River Phoenix":

During the emotional testimonials in which his friends and associates spoke of him like a gallant fallen fallen in battle, British director John Boorman, who was sitting at the corner of the stage, was getting restless than no one was quite facing the reality of the actor's tragic death. At one point Boorman could no longer contain his frustration and shouted out: "Is there anybody here who can tell us why River took all those drugs?"

That brought forth "an embarrassed silence" and caused his two sisters to run out of the room. His whole family was nuts. His mother, "Heart" Phoenix said that his drug taking (she denied he was an addict) was his way of protesting what was being done to the environment! She said "The only understanding I can come to is that River knew the Earth was dying and that he was ready to give his passing as a sign." What a kook.

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2019 11:12 PM

R18 Two Lovers was so good. Phoenix and Paltrow both deserved Oscar nominations for it

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2019 11:20 PM

R14-it really is tiresome when someone says something you don't agree with, you call them a "she." Eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2019 11:25 PM

Agreed R20 - I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2019 11:31 PM

Shocked that River was basically dying for an hour at that club and no one cared to call an ambulance. He told several people he was feeling unwell and no one called an ambulance. Joaquin and his sister also waited 30min till they finally called an ambulance while they were probably aware he was already in serious trouble and then even gave the paramedics wrong information that could have potentially saved his life. They were all still very young, but damn, why didn't they call for help sooner? He already had trouble breathing, was vomiting and had seizures when they took him outside and they still waited.

[Quote] Imagine what would it had been like to have River Phoenix in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? River Phoenix in The Basketball Diaries. River Phoenix in The Titanic. His light and talent eclipsed Dicaprio’s and Depp’s like the burning of a Supernova.

So true. He was definitely more charismatic than DiCaprio and Depp combined and would still have an amazing career today.

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2019 12:07 AM

It was indeed a tragedy that River Phoenix died so young. He was so talented. But his upbringing ruined him. He was brought up in a cult called the Children of God; this cult believed in initiating children to sex while they were still toddlers. He got no education. He had no stability, no order in his life. He became a sought after movie star, but was totally ill-prepared to deal with the pressures and stresses that come with that kind of career. Obviously very unhappy, he medicated himself with drugs until he overdosed. A sad, but typical, Hollywood story.

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2019 2:11 AM

^The article linked above suggests he was given a lethal drug cocktail that night but had no idea what was actually in it. He probably thought it was just a normal trip and he wasn't suicidal or willingly or accidently overdosed. Sounds more like someone accidently killed him with it and everyone was too afraid to call an ambulance bc it would ruin his clean movie star image.

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2019 2:44 AM

Will Joaquin mention River in his Oscar speech?

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 4:33 AM

I remember that night River died. Cried all night. River did it to himself. No one forced him to take it. A few people tried to get him to go to rehab. Refused. Threw the fact he was a vegan in their face. He was damaged goods, like most actors in Hollywood. The Oscars are a joke now. Just a reason for Hollywood to get free booze and drugs. I turned 49 just the other day. Me and River are the same age. Still makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 4:46 AM

I wish the insufferable 'M' would go make a movie in Syria. Northern Syria. Dressed as a Kurd.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 5:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!