Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Western Diet SUCKS. -Alzheimers patients around the world.

Globally, about 42 million people now have dementia, with Alzheimer’s disease as the most common type of dementia. Rates of Alzheimer’s disease are rising worldwide. The most important risk factors seem to be linked to diet, especially the consumption of meat, sweets, and high-fat dairy products that characterize a Western Diet. The evidence of these risk factors, which come from ecological and observational studies, also shows that fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products, legumes, and fish are associated with reduced risk.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2019 4:08 PM

OP your link publishing skills suck

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2019 3:31 PM

Despite all these diet “findings” I’ve come to realize that genetics play the primary role. Some of the healthiest people I know got cancer and died young.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2019 3:33 PM

A longitudinal study, published in the journal [italic]Diabetologia[/italic], followed 5,189 people over 10 years and found that people with high blood sugar had a faster rate of cognitive decline than those with normal blood sugar.

White foods (except cauliflower), processed cheeses and processed meats, and high-sugar fruits are thought to be linked to Alzheimer's. Food processing companies in the US denature grains, seeds, meats and cheeses.

Stay away from nitrates, nitrosamines, diacetyl. If you shop at farmers' markets or the perimeter of a supermarket for your groceries, you'll reduce your risk of Alzheimer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2019 3:43 PM

A longitudinal study, published in the journal [italic]Diabetologia[/italic], followed 5,189 people over 10 years and found that people with high blood sugar had a faster rate of cognitive decline than those with normal blood sugar.

White foods (except cauliflower), processed cheeses and processed meats, and high-sugar fruits are thought to be linked to Alzheimer's. Food processing companies in the US denature grains, seeds, meats and cheeses.

Stay away from nitrates, nitrosamines, diacetyl. If you shop at farmers' markets or the perimeter of a supermarket for your groceries, you'll reduce your risk of Alzheimer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2019 3:43 PM

Forgive me, R1. I am on the subway and not sure what happened.

oh well.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Some stupid fat whores who keep eating fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products, legumes, and fish are still demented and fat and they still carry on watching those stupid reality TV shows and talking to their lazy cats.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Umm, ok, R6. You seem to speak from experience, and I am sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2019 3:55 PM

Next you'll be telling me that HoHo's and Twinkies are bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2019 4:02 PM

Do go on, OP. Fascinating!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2019 4:11 PM

So is like the Keto Diet a good thing or a bad thing - Im confused..

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2019 4:12 PM

It’s not meat that’s bad for you. It’s meat that’s corn-fed, not grass-fed, that's bad for you. Corn accounts for more than 95% of total feed grain production and use in the U.S. Feeding cows (and humans) cheap grains is a recipe for metabolic disease. Metabolic disease, like pre-diabetes and diabetes, is a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease.

r10 The Keto Diet is a good thing for people who want to lose weight, get off metformin, control their insulin and blood sugar. Even moderate low-carb is a good thing.

Read on PubMed the abstract of the medical journal article "Dietary ketosis enhances memory in mild cognitive impairment."

Citation: 2012 Feb;33(2):425.e19-27. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2010.10.006. Epub 2010 Dec 3.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 4:17 PM

It’s not meat that’s bad for you. It’s meat that’s corn-fed, not grass-fed, that's bad for you. Corn accounts for more than 95% of total feed grain production and use in the U.S. Feeding cows (and humans) cheap grains is a recipe for metabolic disease. Metabolic disease, like pre-diabetes and diabetes, is a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease.

r10 The Keto Diet is a good thing for people who want to lose weight, get off metformin, control their insulin and blood sugar. Even moderate low-carb is a good thing.

Read on PubMed the abstract of the medical journal article "Dietary ketosis enhances memory in mild cognitive impairment."

Citation: 2012 Feb;33(2):425.e19-27. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2010.10.006. Epub 2010 Dec 3.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 4:17 PM

The best diet is success!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 4:18 PM

R13 Jesus Christ, is that the Goop Cunt?

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote]Despite all these diet “findings” I’ve come to realize that genetics play the primary role.

Agree. My fathers parents were immigrants who had very healthy diets and they both had Alzheimers in their 70s. My mother's parents lived into their late 80s and were mentally sharp until they died. Of course a healthy diet is going to help you cognitively because your body is healthy, but most of this is just genetics that you are born with.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2019 4:23 PM

R seems triggered by the word "obese". Just lose some weight, auntie, that will decrease your risk of getting Alzheimer's and dementia and what not.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2019 4:25 PM

My mom is in a nursing home with dementia. She was a heavy drinker. The doctors are certain that it played a role in her illness.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2019 4:25 PM

Wernicke-Korsakoff r17?

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2019 4:29 PM

R11, it actually IS the meat that is bad. We are not omnivores. We do not have the physical structure. Look at apes. They eat mainly fruit. Even they have sharper teeth than we do. In any case, yes. Meat is a killer. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2019 4:45 PM

Vegan Loon ^

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2019 4:49 PM

Red meat studies are being revised and revised to catch up with reality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2019 4:57 PM

r19 It's a great achievement for an ape to have the carpal dexterity to use a keyboard and knowledge of the alphabet and internet to find its way to DataLounge, so I salute you for that achievement.

About the differences between apes and humans:

It has been proposed that gut proportions changed at some point within the human lineage in response to higher quality foods which can be digested in the small intestine. The diets of hominids and/or early human populations improved, in part, due to cooking and the increased [italic]abundance of animal products[/italic] obtained through scavenging, hunting, fishing, and dairy consumption. In contrast, great ape species in the wild derive a significant amount of their total daily metabolic energy needs through the fermentation of lower quality plant materials in their hindguts.

I'd like it if counterarguments to the journal abstract excerpts given would rise above the "because I said so" or general-interest articles, but food politics and US food processing dollars are not worthy adversaries against food science and medical science.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2019 5:00 PM

I sure am, R20. I am also a med student at NYU. I can tell you for sure that MEAT is NOT GOOD FOR YOU.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2019 5:01 PM

R22, as much as you hate it, we are not designed AT ALL to eat meat. Not our intestines, not one part of our physiology. You can call names, and you can refer to BS articles. The truth is, we are not. Do some REAL research.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2019 5:03 PM

Olive oil is great for you! It keeps your heart healthy, it keeps your brain in a healthy way and gives you a squeaky clean hole. What more can you ask for? add olive oil into your diet and it'll make for better sex life. You can use it for lube if you want.....

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2019 5:06 PM

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding and 4 sharp teeth for biting into fruit

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2019 5:06 PM

r25 = Michelangelo Buonarroti

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2019 5:07 PM

Wait, your "REAL" research is Science Daily??

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2019 5:07 PM

Vegetarian animals ranging from gorillas to water deer, she reports, have bigger, sharper canines than we do; our canines aren't specially meant for processing meat. What we lack dentally is more important, in fact, than what we have. Gently open a (calm) dog's jaw, and there at the back will be the carnassial teeth, "blade-like and sharp and perfect for slicing meat." Lions and tigers, racoons and house cats — all carnivores — have them too. We don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2019 5:09 PM

Yes, R28. Oh, and literally THOUSANDS of studies as well.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2019 5:10 PM

R26 is the OP and that is an old post from Reddit that purports to come from an old 1970s book called "Fit Food For Men" but there is NO SUCH BOOK.

OP is also the guy who keeps posting those "something big is going to happen!" threads every few weeks! Go flush yourself troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2019 5:13 PM

I don’t really want to be around past age 70 anyway. Is that weird? Id rather skip the swift decline in health.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2019 5:20 PM

I don’t really want to be around past age 70 anyway. Is that weird? Id rather skip the swift decline in health.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2019 5:20 PM

Eating meat and staying away from sugar/carbs is healthier than stuffing your face with vegan cake.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2019 5:24 PM

But it is hell to get out of the sheets, R25. I've even used Salvo, Oxydol, and Snowy Bleach!

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2019 5:28 PM

R21, that "study" was funded by Mcmaster U, which has had literally hundreds of millions of dollars donated by a businessman and fox news fan. So....

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2019 5:28 PM

R31, not a troll. That article is one OF MANY, dude!!!!!

And, yes. I sure am that other poster. I sure am.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2019 5:35 PM

I hate people who "consume nutrients" like the sickly vegan poster vs. "eat" to be able to enjoy themselves and experience something.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2019 5:40 PM

R38, I am far from a sickly vegan, lol. I find it so odd how meat eaters hate vegans. It really is because meat eaters KNOW its bad but cannot stop, and they feel resentment. I mean, really. Just stop, lol.

Meat gets you back.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2019 5:44 PM

Okay. Alzheimer's disease can only be differentiated from other types of dementia after death, during an autopsy where samples of brain tissue are analyzed. And of course, autopsies where types of brain tissue are analyzed are probably more often done in prosperous areas where "western" diets predominate than in areas where people eat traditional diets and home-grown food.

Again, correlation is not causation, and this study is probably bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2019 7:44 PM

I don’t think that vegans should preach to others on what to eat. Same goes for omnivores. Why is it so hard for people to mind their own business?

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2019 4:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!