Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Garland And The Fading Gay Icons Of Yesteryear

[quote]What does it mean that Gen Z gay men such as myself are missing the ‘Judy gene’?

Looks a bit old for a Zoomer, but if he insists...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 23, 2019 5:53 AM

OP, to answer your question--Nothing. Rock Hudson was gay. There was a time when if you were masculine or one of the guys you were expected to conform to a heteronormative lifestyle. Fem guys had no choice; they couldn't fake it and that is where a large part of gay culture originated. That is no longer true. Have a blessed gay day.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2019 3:36 AM

Millennial, here. I honest to god grew up impersonating Judy’s version “Swanee” and “The Purple People Eater” and “A Great Day for the Irish” in front of my parents as a tween. Judy’s not a lost icon as long as we remind kids about her. The Judy Davis biopic from like 2000(?) played a huge part in my deeper discovery and appreciation for Judy G. Hopefully the new Renee Zellwegger movie inspires some young gaylings into appreciating the old bird.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2019 3:40 AM

"Gen Z gay men"

There's no such thing, dear. Anyone under 40 is bi, fluid or 'questioning'.

Please don't say "gay"- it wounds.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2019 3:44 AM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2019 3:49 AM

[quote]“A Great Day for the Irish”

Bless your heart! Judy's version of that song ( from "Little Nellie Kelly") isn't one of her most popular songs, but she sings it exuberantly!

Also seen in the clip are Charles Winninger, Doug McPhail, and George Murphy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2019 4:02 AM

This article is simply one person's opinion. Judy Garland will be an icon and a gay icon forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2019 4:06 AM

Greatest song and dance gal of the 20th Century not to mention a decent set of gams for a dame her age.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2019 4:31 AM

Judy is only important to 65+ gays.

It's not like she is totaly forgotten by everyone younger, but they really don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2019 4:31 AM

r8 abuses kittens at children's parties, and thinks RENT is the best musical he's ever seen (Les Miz a close runner up).

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2019 4:43 AM

Oh god. Another freshman class.

Ok, listen up fellas. Attached is Judy performing THE most important torch song of all time. If you don't know this then you need to step the fuck back and learn your history, bitches.

Christ, seems like five times a year we have to school these children lest they forget their roots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2019 4:46 AM

[quote]That’s the reason my personal gay idols, Lady Gaga, and Ariana Grande, are so dear to me. Both live dramatically on- and off-stage. Both had failed engagements. Both were expected to perform while battling trauma: Gaga’s battle with fibromyalgia and lasting effects of her sexual assault; Grande’s tour while reeling from ex-boyfriend Mac Miller’s death and the Manchester bombing at her 2017 concert that killed 23 people. All the while, they continue to deliver jaw-dropping performances and singles. I love them for their talent, but I also love them for overcoming the odds stacked against them.

Bless his little, retarded, heart.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 4:46 AM

Every generation has their gay icons. It was Judy, then Streisand and Cher, then Madonna and now it seems to be Britney and Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 4:46 AM

Why are millennial so insufferable?

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 4:52 AM

It's embarrassing to like Judy. Only effeminate old queens like Judy Garland, that's why

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 4:52 AM

[quote]Grande’s tour while reeling from ex-boyfriend Mac Miller’s death and the Manchester bombing at her 2017 concert that killed 23 people.

I'd argue that "Hairspray Live!" on NBC was a bigger bomb than Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2019 5:19 AM

I’m 56 and Judy was way before my time.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2019 5:40 AM

At the time she died, there probably wasn't a single American who didn't know who Judy Garland was.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2019 5:48 AM

As long as there are barbiturates on the market, Judy will live on...

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2019 5:58 AM

I was six years old when Judy died and I remember it very specifically. It was a huge news story and everyone, even children talked about it. Everyone on earth knew Judy Garland AND had an opinion on her in 1969!

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2019 6:13 AM

No kidding, r11. I stopped reading right there.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2019 6:19 AM

As long as The Wizard of Oz exists, people will love and revere Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2019 6:25 AM

Judy really was The Greatest Star.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2019 6:34 AM

"The rest of us will be forgotten.

Never Judy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2019 6:36 AM

R23. Frank was right.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2019 6:36 AM

Frank who?

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2019 6:39 AM

R16, I'm 62, and she was slightly before my time. I was 12 when she died. I knew she had a gay following - everybody knew that - but I didn't identify with her or admire her particularly. By the time I came out and started meeting other gay men, it was the mid-'70s, and Judy-worship seemed terribly passé. Diana Ross was probably more of an icon for my age group, and Bette Midler was by far the most popular performer.

In the years after that, I can't say I encountered many Judy-worshippers my own age. I was genuinely surprised when I found the DL and discovered how many fans she still had.

BTW - none of that takes away from her great talent or her stardom, but Hollywood had lots of big stars and extremely talented people.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2019 6:41 AM

I love that photo, OP. Wowza!

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2019 6:43 AM

Garland's fatal overdose was probably a publicity stunt that didn't go as planned. Bitch would have done anything for attention. She probably hoped she'd be able to milk the story of her brush with death for every penny and become a relevant star again.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2019 6:55 AM

[Quote]Diana Ross was probably more of an icon for my age group, and Bette Midler was by far the most popular performer.

Yeah, but whose talking about them now, r26? When they die, they'll be quickly forgotten, with no movies made about them at all. And I say this as a Diana Ross fan who recognizes her importance as a Black first in so many ways. And Bette? Her Hocus Pocus movie will be her only legacy after she dies.

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2019 7:42 AM

[Quote]Which is maybe why, as I watched Judy, it wasn’t the scene with the gay men that made me gasp. It was watching Zellweger lose herself in a character who paralleled a lot of what she herself has been through in recent years — great acclaim and public adulation, followed by an incredible amount of ridicule and hate, before triumphing to deliver a stunning rendition of “Over the Rainbow.”

[Quote]And so, I cried when Judy ended, not because I felt seen. I felt for Zellweger, making a comeback with such a powerhouse performance. Maybe, too, that’s all gays like me and Tom and Lorenzo needed to see to finally understand Garland’s legacy.

Oh, bless his heart!

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2019 7:54 AM

There is an obsessive Judy Garland fan on DL who really think JG was the greatest singer of all time when in fact she was famous only in the US. Saying that she was the best gay icon is totally false but you know don't even try to contradict that fanatic JG's fan otherwise he gonna lose his temper and acting crazy. Madonna is not a great singer but at least she did more for gays than JG ever did. And Barbra sings better than JG .

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2019 8:23 AM

There, there, r31. Mommy will put you to bed soon and tell you nice stories.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2019 2:30 PM

It's hard to compare what gay icons have done for the gays (globally) before and after Stonewall happened. You're comparing two different worlds.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2019 2:42 PM

R32 and R33 It's hard for YOU, you meant? Not everyone is this fascinated by Judy Garland. Some people, most of us, still have a brain and can still compare with honesty and objectivity. My mother no longer borders me, and unlike an old bitter fart who stinks the loneliness like you, she is still alive so I do not need to try to replace her with JG, thanks.

Have a nice day ;)

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2019 3:15 PM

I live in Europe and Judy has had no discernible impact on the gays in my country. It's obviously a completely different world post–internet and social media. That's why I said it's very hard to compare Judy and Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2019 3:19 PM

Lol...

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2019 3:21 PM

r36 Let me guess, clarity of thought is not something people tend to associate with you, is it?

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2019 3:24 PM

Judy was the first big gay icon as well as a beloved music icon. There's a reason she was and is respected by everyone in the business (from Frank to Aretha to Barbra to even Madonna) She was a true talent who poured her heart out to the audience and bled all over her songs. When she sang, it was a cry of the wounded. The gays identified with her passion and with her struggle. Oh, that gritty struggle that could make you kick your heels up in the air one minute in gleeful abandon and bring you to your knees in another. She had hands that were graceful and almost sculpted like. Her body was nimble but so poised. Her performances were simply case studies in musicianship and art. Each movement was as delicate and fascinating as a painting.

Of course the younger generation isn't into her. But you STUDY and LEARN from the greats. This movie should inspire those to seek out the beauty and majesty of a showbiz genius. There is no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2019 3:32 PM

R37 I know you're lonely, i know your mental illness is eating you little by little, but i cannot do anything. Do not try to guess, you don't have the abilities. I am not here to fill the void of your pathetic existence. You do not fool anyone but yourself. Take your pills, keep talking alone, manage your crises and everything will be fine.

BYE!

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2019 3:42 PM

GenXer here. Judy and old movies never really did it for me. Give me a broad like Siouxsie Sioux any day of the week, tho....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2019 3:44 PM

I'm 66. Garland was never a "gay icon" for me, I simply recognized that she was the greatest singer/actress/dancer combo that there ever was.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2019 3:45 PM

This "Gen Z" queen says what?

The young writers have such preposterous set ups to their think pieces in the diminished "publications" of today. So, it's ALL ABOUT the icons of yesteryear who they are supposed to know nothing about. In other words, they know these icons!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2019 3:45 PM

R42, that picture tells me all I need to know about his writing (shudders).

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2019 3:46 PM

He's cute and try hard. Some Millennial daddy will happily fuck him and stick a ruby slipper sock in his mouth if he gets to0 gabby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2019 3:51 PM

I doubt Judy's final overdose was a publicity stunt. In her lifetime she overdosed dozens--perhaps hundreds--of times. There was always somebody there to save her, until finally there wasn't. Mickey Deans was already tired of her after 4 months of marriage, and didn't keep the watchful eye on her that Sid Luft or her children did. She was also out of assistants and loyal retainers at that point. The miracle is that she made it to 47, really.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2019 3:52 PM

I think Judy is a gay icon in the anglo-saxon world, but not so much elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2019 4:46 PM

I "discovered" Garland's genius in about 1971/2. I was aware of Oz and some of her MGM musicals, but not really the full scope of her voice. When I first listened to Carnegie Hall- I was blown away. Then I got to work learning about her- recorded, taped and film. By this time I was fully aware of both Aretha and Barbra- and for me, Judy joined them, not because of her tragic life and substance abuse, rather her voice and talent. That was what hooked me with Barbra and Aretha- I was simply amazed at their voices and way with song. I am not one of those who believe Judy's huge gay following was due to her tragic life (which we are supposed to identify with.) No- we simply can appreciate genius in women and openly express our admiration. Straight men by in large do not idolize women- rather mostly male sport stars, and an assortment of great male achievers- including successful movie stars. Gay men will openly admire women. This is a very good thing.

It's great fun to discover great artists when in their heydays OR at some other point. Many on DL have no idea of the breadth of Streisand's recorded catalogue and I always think it's sad that they have no curiosity. I did with Judy, with Nat King Cole, with Maria Callas and a few others. I remain in thrall of late 60s into the 70s CA folk rock, singer song-writers and all the Motown acts that came up while I was "coming up".

In the visual arts I was overwhelmed when I visited St Peters in Rome and was exposed to some of the most sublime painting, sculpture and architecture in the world all produced by one man! God (if he's real) was not speaking through Popes in Rome- he was speaking through Michelangelo. Looking into and investigating the early to mature evolution of Picasso's work is as much fun and enriching as anything I have ever done. I could care less if he was an asshole (he was)- he was a genius and I am endlessly fascinated with him.

How could you not look back for great art and artists including musicians and singers? How much of life and the best of the human race would you miss? How can you say, I'm 30 so I'm not interesting in what came before me?

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2019 5:20 PM

Judy and Whitney Houston, both talented ladies who were train wrecks and died in pretty much similar circumstances. Drugs, and self destruction. We laugh and take the piss out of Houston yet Judy is an untouchable saint. Double standards. You can point the finger at Mayer, Judy's mother, Bobby Brown etc, but ultimately they both chose their behaviour, I just don't get Judy's free ride from judgment. If it were today, with modern press intrusion, expose and social media saturation Judy would be laughed at just like Houston, Winehouse, Lohan, et, al. despite her talent and success.

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2019 8:22 PM

In the 80s as a twink, I felt so validated in my love of Judy Garland when I went to L.A.’s French Market store Dorothy’s Surrender. The perfect merging of Judy and Gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2019 9:00 PM

Millennials are the ones forcing this hip hop shit down our throats. They think it makes them edgy but's it's just disposable Muzak they can pose and look hip listening to (being 'woke' and open-minded is a bonus).

No one is going to remember this week's bi-racial, over-tattoed Autotuned vocorder nobody droning on about pussy and weed.

by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2019 9:20 PM

I detest the gay adoration of Judy Garland. All it does is justify gay stereotypes. Growing up, the only men who liked Judy Garland were fat, bitchy old effeminate queens. It made me associate Garland with every derogatory stereotype. The fan girl hero worship and staunch denial of her shortcomings is really sad. Yes, it is embarrassing for any self- respecting man to bow down at the alter of Judy Garland. The same goes for Madonna, Barbra, Cher, Joan Crawford, etc., etc., You've got balls between your legs, act like it.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2019 10:19 PM

Are there any straight males that have ever been revered (for non-sexual reasons) the same way the above divas (R51) are? Genuinely asking, because I cannot think of any.

by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2019 10:35 PM

I agree with some things said above. I'm too young for original timely Judy diva worship. The so called Judy Gene. Well, that's a ridiculous concept. Or for Maria Callas. Etc etc. Gay icons was always a limited filter to view artistry.

I really got into Judy in my 20's through a listen to the Carnegie Hall concert. I was blown away. Then came the movies and all the disk. Later, we finally had youtube, so more - the TV shows, other concerts, etc.

Loving Judy is not diva worship or icon worship it's awe for great artistry.

Our author mentions he adores Ariana and Lady Gaga, his "personal gay idols". I'm sorry but I consider this tragic, that these two are considered in anyway comparable to Judy Garland. Also that in any way Gaga is an a "gay idol". I know Arian can sing and I like her but there is no great legendary show business entertainment talent, there.

I wonder about the vast majority of young people nowadays and what their artistic education consisted of? Did they learn to read music, to sing, to play instruments? Did they have weekly art classes for years? Museum visits. High school or college classes in Art History?

by Anonymousreply 53October 1, 2019 10:40 PM

R53, Lady Gaga is idolized by groups of gay people--I don't understand why Ariana was mentioned though. She doesn't have that big of a gay following. I mean, she's a diva and I'm sure she has many gay fans but nothing on the level of Madonna, Streisand or even Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2019 10:54 PM

OK, R53, but then why not Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan? They were great artists, too. Why do gay men in particular seem to focus on Judy?

Actually, it isn't all gay men and never has been. I don't remember pre-Stonewall days as a gay man because I was only a child when it happened. But, judging by the diva worshippers of later generations, it's usually a specific type. Strip away the nasty tone, and R51 has it right. The Judy worshippers were the guys who couldn't "pass", even back when it was really important to do so. Diva worship in general is a characteristic of a subset of gay men, not all gay men.

by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2019 10:58 PM

Before I ever knew anything about her life--I was a child--I only knew her from TWOO and Babes in Arms and I loved her. There was just something about her....she is outrageously talented, you know, and that voice is one of the most beautiful in all of American popular music.

by Anonymousreply 56October 1, 2019 11:29 PM

Gay men did and do focus on Ella and Sara- I sure do.

R48, Garland was totally trashed by both fans and her peers in the last 10 years of her life- more than Whitney. With time it’s the artistry that remains because that is what was unique and special- not the substance abuse.

R51 is a self hating nut- sound like a rabid heterosexual male homophobe- only thing worse is a gay homophobe. I suppose Roy Cohn is your idol R51!

by Anonymousreply 57October 1, 2019 11:36 PM

I don't understand the question. I love Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan for the same reasons - exceptional artistry. But I have an immense artistic education built from 5 years old to now at 55! Was never a DIVA worshipper though I don't mind such types. I always thought Pop Music DIVA worshipping a bit of an impoverished frame. A step down from the opera queens of yore, for example. And there is a lot of marketing involved purposefully crafted "gay diva" stardom, such as Gaga. Certainly turn many of us off her.

by Anonymousreply 58October 1, 2019 11:43 PM

gay icon diva, that is

by Anonymousreply 59October 1, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote]OK, [R53], but then why not Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan? They were great artists, too. Why do gay men in particular seem to focus on Judy?

Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan were singers. And it ends there. (And in Ella's case at least: cold, mechanical and aloof. )

Judy was so much more.

by Anonymousreply 60October 1, 2019 11:56 PM

"Poor me I can't relate to Judy" Ugh! that article reeks of victim mentality. Nobody is forcing him to like Judy, if you don't like her or are not interested in her talent/legacy then shut up and go find something/someone you do like, it's not hard. And the fact that he can relate to a cockeyed doughnut licker and a overgrown oompa loompa because they "overcame" their perceived "hardships" but according to the article Judy did not therefore she's not worthy is just stupid reasoning. Is relatability a requirement for being entertained? Personally I can't relate to Judy either but nevertheless I enjoy her movies and music. His brain is fried on trashy subpar pop singers and reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2019 12:48 AM

r57 you must be one of the fat effeminate queens r51 described, he's obviously hit a neve. Poor you in your mumu listening to The Trolley Song in your mothers' basement.

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2019 1:19 AM

I’m 66 years old, 6’2”, 180 lbs- same fit body I had when I was 22 and a college tennis champion. I have a terminal degree and am a professor in one of the world’s great universities, God knows I have known and met all manner of people famous and not famous (in my life). I am stalked by people who think my takes of NYC etc on DL (of the last 45 years) are BS- they’re not- I consider myself one of the luckiest people I know and I’m in a position thereby to give back what has been given to me. I work hard too. So I don’t think I fit your image of me R62. You sound like you are as lively as R51. Please tell readers why being effeminate is bad (I agree overweight is bad for health- and healthcare is my business). Nothing wrong with being an old queen either. It’s a privilege.

by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2019 1:41 AM

OP - why do you want to make your peers feel bad about themselves?

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2019 1:46 AM

Judy "Pills" Garland on Saturday Night Live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2019 1:47 AM

9 years ago and Hamm was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2019 1:49 AM

r31 Famous only in the US? What about that sold-out gig in England? Everyone in the world has seen the Wizard of Oz at least once, whether in a theater or on TV.

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2019 1:54 AM

r63 A professor at one of the world's greatest universities yet contributes to DataLounge and is so insecure she has to justify herself to a troll...sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2019 2:02 AM

Being an old queen is a privilege? Why? Because it means you didn't contract and succumb to AIDS? You're only alive because no one wanted to fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2019 2:05 AM

Boys, can't we all get along. 1, 2, 3....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2019 2:08 AM

Was "I Could Go On Singing" popular with British audiences way back then? She seemed well-known in the English speaking world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2019 2:12 AM

I've never understood the attacks on charlie. He seems erudite and sincere.

Judy was always immensely popular in England.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2019 2:15 AM

I think she was an entertaining dancer. She was quite loose about it. As if she learned all the moves and steps and then did it all bit juiced up. there are only 2 edits in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote]Everyone in the world has seen the Wizard of Oz at least once, whether in a theater or on TV.

"....according to the Library of Congress, it is the most seen film in movie history."

And anyone who thinks Judy Garland will be forgotten anytime soon is very mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2019 2:18 AM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2019 2:21 AM

R73 Every move, every expression: perfect

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2019 2:22 AM

Yes R76. It's breathtaking. And why its dismal to hear a young arty person shart out the names Gaga and Ariana in comparison to Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2019 2:26 AM

Garland was not even the greatest triple threat in the world, never mind singer. She was a vaudevillian. Quite capable, but not the best at anything. She had great vitality ONLY when she was young and kept her warm and powerful voice for a while longer. Not a dancer by any means and too much vibrato to be a memorable recorded artist. Electric performer. So was Joplin. For similar reasons. Drugs.

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2019 2:29 AM

Name valid triple threats, alors.

by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2019 2:43 AM

I absolutely hate that people like Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga are my generation’s gay icons. There have been celebrities who are out gay men since the 70’s, I think it’s about time we start idolizing them.

by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2019 2:46 AM

R76 I disagree about "perfect."

She is very good, but the eye goes to Kelly. She seems a bit "off" and self-conscious compared to him.

She is still much better than most of today's movie stars. But stars had more training back then.

by Anonymousreply 81October 2, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]....not a dancer by any means...

Oh, ok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 2, 2019 4:01 AM

Ariana Grande on Judy Garland:

I grew up watching videos of her concerts and her movies. Every day my mom and I would watch a different Judy Garland VHS. I love how she tells a story when she sings. It was just about her voice and the words she was singing -- no strings attached or silly hair or costumes, just a woman singing her heart out. I feel like that doesn't happen that much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 83October 2, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]She is very good, but the eye goes to Kelly. She seems a bit "off" and self-conscious compared to him.

I completely disagree.

The eye fixes on Judy.

One reason is because she has those big eyes and mouth that clearly communicate. Note how her movements are cleaner and crisper than Kelly's.

Note how she keeps her head still while she moves. Kelly does all sorts of fuzzy movements with his.

Kelly is great of course...no doubt about that, but Judy is a much greater actor and it shows even in a number like that. Kelly disappears along side her.

by Anonymousreply 84October 2, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote] Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan were singers. And it ends there. (And in Ella's case at least: cold, mechanical and aloof. )

Bullshit. First of all Fitzgerald and Vaughan came up when society was still so racist that they couldn't have sustained a career in films even if they wanted to. Garland was given everything on a silver platter and it wasn't particularly a big achievement that she was also a movie star while they weren't.

As for the cold, mechanical and aloof descriptors, the same could be easily applied to Streisand and that has never stopped white gays from worshipping her.

by Anonymousreply 85October 2, 2019 5:12 AM

[quote] The Judy worshippers were the guys who couldn't "pass", even back when it was really important to do so.

And they were mostly white. The Judy fans are white gay men who force her down everyone's throats demanding that all gay people revere her as some sort of goddess. I've met numerous older gay men of color and they all felt that the culture of white gay men was always imposed on the entire community.

by Anonymousreply 86October 2, 2019 5:17 AM

[quote]First of all Fitzgerald and Vaughan came up when society was still so racist that they couldn't have sustained a career in films even if they wanted to.

LOL. I just can't imagine Ella Fitzgerald or Sara Vaughan dancing in musicals.

[quote]The Judy fans are white gay men who force her down everyone's throats demanding that all gay people revere her as some sort of goddess.

Demanding that all gay people revere her as some sort of goddess?

Demanding? Examples please.

by Anonymousreply 87October 2, 2019 5:43 AM

[quote]And they were mostly white.

Duh!

by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2019 5:46 AM

(82) Judy obviously had some dance training, but she was stiff as a board and barely lifted her arms above shoulder height. A sin to pair her for the superb Gene Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 89October 2, 2019 8:01 AM

Judy was our comfort when we were a troubled young teen. Even before we discovered Miss Boozette(who was nearly the end of us).

We knew we were 'different' from the other children in school and we felt that Judy was also 'different' and that she understood a special child such as ourself. By the time we were 10 we had memorized every note/word of Carnegie Hall, Judy at the Palace, and Born in a Trunk! Later we listened to hour upon hour of Judy while sipping Miss Boozette. Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 90October 2, 2019 8:27 AM

We hope to one day honor Miss Garland by dying on a toilet, shitting barbiturate capsules, as a prescription bottle rolls out of our dead hand and clatters on the tile floor.

by Anonymousreply 91October 2, 2019 1:32 PM

Mrs Patrick Campbell, they say imitatia is the sincerest form of flatteria.

by Anonymousreply 92October 2, 2019 1:33 PM

r91 is not ourself!

by Anonymousreply 93October 2, 2019 1:35 PM

I don't care about why he doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 94October 2, 2019 1:51 PM

Gen X here and I can tell you that Barbra Streisand has never been a big deal with Xers. She's always been seen as an "old fashioned" type of performer, like what your grandmother would listen to.

by Anonymousreply 95October 2, 2019 2:07 PM

Judy Garland is the greatest talent ever to come out of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 96October 2, 2019 2:35 PM

She had no competitive Oscars.

I would have gladly given her one of mine. I had so many.

by Anonymousreply 97October 2, 2019 3:06 PM

She can have all my future nominations.

by Anonymousreply 98October 2, 2019 5:58 PM

When this desperate bitch was nominated for an Oscar and she had a camera man waiting by her bedside in hospital (she had just popped out one of her kids a few days prior to the Oscars, I believe) did he capture her reaction shots when she lost? It'd be a hoot to see the pathetic attention hungry publicity whore all dressed up to accept her Oscar from her hospital bed and then end up losing. Her sense of entitlement must have been quite something to be that presumptuous about the result.

by Anonymousreply 99October 2, 2019 7:16 PM

At least she wasn't wearing a gold dress.

by Anonymousreply 100October 2, 2019 8:08 PM

The Zellewegger film was unimaginably fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 101October 2, 2019 8:16 PM

i'm going to see it this weekend. I'm glad it apparently has legs.

by Anonymousreply 102October 2, 2019 8:23 PM

I grew up in the 90's (so, not an elder gay), but my family always had older movies on. I feel blessed to have been exposed to movies like that, because it helped me appreciate different styles of filmmaking and acting. Sure, some haven't held up (you'd be surprised by how many old Hollywood stars made a name for themselves by giving the exact same performance in every movie much like many of today's stars), but a lot of Judy's work does. She's magnetic.

I think great performers transcend time. Sure, with every generation there will be a few less people who'll know or want to know about them (these uncurious people have always existed and they've always been uninteresting people to avoid), but the real artists will never be forgotten. Judy won't be forgotten much like Sinatra won't and Streisand won't and Ross won't and anyone with actual talent won't. I think Swift, Grande, and Gaga all have talent and won't be forgotten, too.

by Anonymousreply 103October 2, 2019 8:49 PM

r99, it was the Academy's idea to present Judy with her Oscar in the hospital, Lauren Bacall was standing-by with the statuette as everyone believed Judy was the likely winner. How miserable and nasty you must be.

Here, listen to Judy tell it in her own words you sad gay horror!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 2, 2019 11:13 PM

Thank you, r104. What a great artist, what a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 105October 2, 2019 11:25 PM

R104 Magnificent.

No one could do that today.

by Anonymousreply 106October 2, 2019 11:54 PM

R104 Was a wonderful storyteller. What a raconteur!

But what was up with her accent? It was such an affected way of speaking.

This was in the 1960s and she sounded like someone from the '30s.

It's a nice voice and I love listening to it, but it comes across as very phony.

by Anonymousreply 107October 3, 2019 12:19 AM

One of the few live performances we have from Judy in the 1940's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2019 12:21 AM

One of the few recorded live performances we have of Judy in the 1940's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2019 12:23 AM

I can understand why she's such an idol but she was never really on my radar (I'm an older Millennial). I've never seen Wizard of Oz or any of her other movies. That being said, I don't really consider any particular performers from my generation to be massive gay icons, either.

by Anonymousreply 110October 3, 2019 12:39 AM

How odd that you've never seen The Wizard of Oz. Even if you're not into Judy, it is simply a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 111October 3, 2019 1:06 AM

Ah, what great charm she had at R104. I don't always like her affected mid atlantic Tallulah Bankheadish speaking voice - Liza picked up that affectation too - but Garland had such real warmth and humor. I can see why people continued to forgive her time and again. It was always a bit of a performance though. The intensity in her songs was very studied and theatrical. Liza stole that characteristic too, BUT, she always seems so childish when she does it. Judy was a woman.

When her voice was at its very best and when the song was a great one - Garland was a thrill.

by Anonymousreply 112October 3, 2019 1:17 AM

This is fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 3, 2019 1:56 AM

You’re damn right R69, and your post is vile- about half of all my friends died miserable deaths in the primes of their youth from the early 80s to the mid 90s. My survival is luck- nothing else. I do not take it for granted. Hope you make 66, healthy and thriving as I have. You bet it’s a privilege. I was not chaste- I did practice safe sex as soon as we knew what to do. I didn’t get chased around by about a half a dozen well known gay men that you’d do your best to knock if I dropped their names and hundreds of others much more appealing to me because I was hard on the eyes. And I’m hardly lonely now. I want posters on these threads to know that 66 is good- and not what small minds like to portray. I suppose you’re going to off yourself at 55? News: life remains full of new things to do and new people to get to know and experience. And discovering great artists and human beings from the past and present is part of the joy of being alive- the focus of my posts above.

by Anonymousreply 114October 3, 2019 2:21 AM

Shut up charlie. You've lost your mind. You are a liar and a bore. What an old woman you are.

by Anonymousreply 115October 3, 2019 2:34 AM

I love Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 116October 3, 2019 2:52 AM

I think many people on here a jealous of Charlie because of his "priviliged" background.

But he is not some lazy brat who slacked off and just relied on nepotism and trust funds. He worked for a living and has done well.

He is a bit older than me, but we come for similar backgrounds.

I think my father knew his.

He always says things that are interesting.

Just back off and be nice.

by Anonymousreply 117October 3, 2019 2:56 AM

charlie, I suggest you simply block the bitterest and meanest among the DL posters. My DL has become a nice place because of it.

by Anonymousreply 118October 3, 2019 3:08 AM

How wonderful that we had Judy in our lives for the short time that she was on this earth.

She helped us through a very harrowing childhood/teens.

She was brilliant, special and unique, not unlike ourself.

by Anonymousreply 119October 3, 2019 3:14 AM

R10.... perpetuating poor grammar for generations. The man WHO got away. Also, not particularly useful to say, I suppose, but I am an over 65 year old gay man who loves Billie Holiday, Ella, Chrissie Hynde, Bonnie Rait and Sandy Deny - but never felt much one way or another about Garland. As time passes the narrow definitions of "gay icon" will blur, expand, and maybe disappear.

by Anonymousreply 120October 3, 2019 3:23 AM

Blame Ira Gershwin, not Judy r120

by Anonymousreply 121October 3, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]She was brilliant, special and unique, not unlike ourself.

Mrs Patrick Campbell: The only difference is that Judy died on a toilet -- you will die as one.

by Anonymousreply 122October 3, 2019 3:33 AM

Princess Diana will ALWAYS in all of our hearts!

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]Princess Diana

Ross?

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2019 5:10 AM

R99 M, the desperate cunt on DL, calling someone else desperate is just too funny.

We all still hate you M.

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2019 9:14 AM

R120, Ira Gershwin wrote that phrase as a twist on "the one that got away" as in a fisherman saying "You should have seen the one that got away."

by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2019 12:33 PM

"Barbra, Judy, Liza, Bette. These are names we shan't forget."

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2019 12:56 PM

There's nothing "fading' about Judy

by Anonymousreply 128October 4, 2019 6:58 AM

We shall never forget, as a beautiful young girl, going to see Miss Judy in concert. Our mother, an icy number, had gotten the tickets.

After the show, we were invited backstage to meet Miss Judy. We shall never forget that moment. Miss Judy seemed so small and delicate, like a flighty bird.

We so wanted to tell her how we adored her. But before we could, we took a special thrill when she ignored our mother's outstretched hand, the old trout, and, instead, leaned down to us and whispered into our ear words we treasure to this day: "Kid, are you carrying?"

by Anonymousreply 129October 4, 2019 3:50 PM

R60 I'll agree that Ella was so controlled, so perfect, so spot on that she could come across as too good, almost disconnected. Cole Porter loved her renditions of his standards because of that preciseness. He was famously enamored and impressed by her diction and gorgeous pitch-perfect voice. Some like controlled exactness while others gravitate to a more freestyle expression so to each their own.

Watch this video of her minimalist performance of Summertime backed up by only a 3-piece jazz band and you can hear her incredibly soulful talent. Yes, she could be technically exact but she could also let it all go and when she did you get this subtle but mesmerizing magic.

Judy and Ella were amazing artists and American treasures the likes of which are sorely missing in the popular performing arts of today.

And I wasn't even born when either one if these women peaked but anyone of any age who appreciates great performances and artistry should bow down before these First Ladies of the American songbook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 4, 2019 5:44 PM

R81 I don't wanna fight you but Judy completely upstaged Gene Kelly so badly that I almost felt sorry for him in the clip...when I even noticed him - which wasn't often. Don't get on a stage with Judy unless you're prepared to get owned.

R73 Thanks for posting that clip and keeping the memory alive! Judy is a drug. Take her a couple of times and you jones for more.

R76 Agree! It was perfect!!! It's an artist's unique quirks and style that draw you in mesmerize. She fucking killed it, like always! Bye, Gene. I love you but you got spanked.

by Anonymousreply 131October 4, 2019 6:17 PM

Millennial here too. I think R1 is right on the money. I'm 37 and don't know a single gay or bi person who cares about Judy, musicals, divas, Rupaul or anything that could be of the so-called "lifestyle" . The only gays I know who care about this stuff are fem gays usually from the hair and makeup department (I work in film and TV).

I think R1s assertion that fem gays are the ones who created it is true. Today, being gay is no longer the issue of before so people are free to enjoy what they like. Most of my tastes are like any other straight guy out there. I think gays no longer feel the need to partake in said lifestyle to be accepted or protected by a "family".

by Anonymousreply 132October 4, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote]Judy is a drug.

HA HA HA I'LL SAY!

by Anonymousreply 133October 4, 2019 7:36 PM

You sound like you're trying awfully hard to be "normal."

by Anonymousreply 134October 4, 2019 8:45 PM

Judy was a fabulous dancer and paired great with Kelly. Here's the wonderfully entertaining scene from Summer Stock where they do the Barn Dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 5, 2019 5:43 AM

Miss Judy look so good there in her forties and nice and fat R135. But that's kind of mom dancing. She was not Rita Hayworth dancer. When was this movie made? Was it after Judgement At Nurembruge? The little man, he is cute.

by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2019 5:55 AM

Hardy HAR r136!

This is from Summer Stock in 1950. Judy was thirty-one when this number "The Portland Fancy" was filmed. She's great in it.

by Anonymousreply 137October 5, 2019 6:11 AM

r137 here, I meant Judy was twenty-seven in this number.

I'm sure you will crack some lame ass age joke, but nobody will find it funny.

by Anonymousreply 138October 5, 2019 6:13 AM

The jokes on you mister. Worshipping that lil tweaker with the wobbly voice.

by Anonymousreply 139October 5, 2019 6:20 AM

Her vibrato was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Have always hated her timbre and over-emotional singing style. Awful, ugly bitch in every way.

by Anonymousreply 140October 5, 2019 7:16 AM

Bitch, please. No GenZ is listening to Judy Fucking Garland. They're too busy snapchatting and risking permanent lung damage with their pointless vaping.

by Anonymousreply 141October 5, 2019 7:19 AM

[quote]I live in Europe and Judy has had no discernible impact on the gays in my country. It's obviously a completely different world post–internet and social media. That's why I said it's very hard to compare Judy and Madonna.

Obviously your country doesn't get the cable channel Turner Classic Movies and you are seriously deprived.

by Anonymousreply 142October 5, 2019 7:34 AM

Here in Europe eldersisters fixated on Piaf rather than Judy. In the UK Judy had more of a following.

Homosexual Gene Kelly had a nice culo. Imagine the tongues and sizemeats that found entrance to that culo!

by Anonymousreply 143October 5, 2019 8:54 AM

Did she die when she was halfway through excretion? Was she covered in her feces when they found her? Or did she have her head down the toilet bowl?

by Anonymousreply 144October 5, 2019 9:16 AM

She was fully clothed on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 145October 5, 2019 2:24 PM

Judy was a terrific dancer. That's why she could hold her own against Walters, Kelly and Astaire. She is also less studied and more relaxed than they are so you often watch her. Case in point Embraceable You from Girl Crazy. The professional dancer Walters is outshined by a beautiful effortless Judy. She just owns the space she's in without even seeming to try.

by Anonymousreply 146October 5, 2019 2:54 PM

Fuck her and the bag of pills she rode in on. I'm glad to see gay men creating their own identity instead of desperately holding onto long dead hags out of some sense of duty.

by Anonymousreply 147October 5, 2019 3:58 PM

It is not a sense of duty when you enjoy a person's work. As noted above straight men turn athletes into gods. They live sometimes through and get their excitement from their accomplishments and identify with them. What exactly are you so emotional and self-righteous about?

by Anonymousreply 148October 5, 2019 4:04 PM

[Quote]She was fully clothed on the toilet.

She took a dump while fully clothed? Did she croak out "Over the Rainbow" before she croaked? She'd have been a great candidate for reality TV. The Kardashian or Paris Hilton of the Jurassic Age.

by Anonymousreply 149October 5, 2019 4:10 PM

Judy would be on the Masked Singer or some reality show with her 12th husband, Lil Wayne by now. Her talent was all dried up 5 years before she died. Don't bother posting that terrible version of What The World Needs Now either. Her voice was SHOT, as was her musicality and dignity. Without a blindfold.

by Anonymousreply 150October 5, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote] Judy was twenty-seven in this number.

That is shocking. She looks like someone in her 50s.

Although her dancing is very good.

But it did her no favors putting her in a barn full of people who look their age.

by Anonymousreply 151October 5, 2019 6:02 PM

Mrs Judy was nice and fat in that mom and dad barn dance polka. She is not a dancer, she is a mimic. That's why she sings like Al Jolson.

by Anonymousreply 152October 5, 2019 6:11 PM

"Judy Garland dances like a precocious child. She can imitate the steps very well, but there is no artistry, nothing new."

by Anonymousreply 153October 5, 2019 6:39 PM

Shut the fuck up, you rancid cunt r147. You wouldn't recognize talent if it bit you in the face.

by Anonymousreply 154October 5, 2019 8:37 PM

I keep reading that Judy has the "Hairiest Pussy in Hollywood."

Is that true? How are such things quantified?

by Anonymousreply 155October 6, 2019 1:54 AM

What Judy did effortlessly Charisse had to work hard at. Though not a dancer she was a great dance partner and at the same time could sing a song something that Charisse could never do. She was a triple threat.

I love Cyd but she excelled at only one thing, Her finest performance not surprisingly was as Ninotchka.

by Anonymousreply 156October 6, 2019 4:29 AM

Judy actually did dance like a "precocious child" and it was delightful.

by Anonymousreply 157October 6, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote]Judy was twenty-seven in this number.

[quote]That is shocking. She looks like someone in her 50s.

You're just being a huge cunt. This is a still of Judy in "Summer Stock"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 6, 2019 4:55 AM

She looks like a trans "woman" in the photo posted by R158.

by Anonymousreply 159October 6, 2019 6:23 AM

I absolutely love Friendly Star from Summer Stock. I think that still is of her singing that song.

by Anonymousreply 160October 6, 2019 6:26 AM

Garland really does look 20 years older than 28 in that photo @ R158. If they couldn't hide her strange pallor, bloodshot eyes and the bags underneath in a classic MGM musical, she was in pretty bad shape.

She looked even worse in Easter Parade, when she was 25 years old. Poor woman was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 161October 6, 2019 6:43 AM

Judy never looks happier in Summer Stock than in that scene where she's dancing with Kelly in the barn.

by Anonymousreply 162October 6, 2019 7:15 AM

The dress though she is wearing is not at all flattering in the colors. She could have worn something more youthful as Kelly does and he was already pushing 40.

by Anonymousreply 163October 6, 2019 11:25 AM

She does look like a frightful tranny, r159. That hair and the raccoon eyes are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 164October 6, 2019 11:26 AM

R132, you and your oh so butch friends sound like brain dead creeps (you’re homophobic and probably misogynist- as are most who think feminine is less than.)

by Anonymousreply 165October 6, 2019 1:08 PM

Oh, come on, R165. There is nothing "feminine" about the campy eldergays who worship Judy. It's in fact an insult to women to call their behavior "feminine". What they are is a cruel, tired, unimaginative, misogynistic parody of the way these queens think real women behave.

by Anonymousreply 166October 6, 2019 1:57 PM

Was the frumpy costume she was wearing in that barn dance supposed to hide her girth?

It seemed as if the flowing colors were intended to distract from how pudgy she was.

It didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 167October 7, 2019 2:12 AM

"Brown felt is both glamorous AND slimming!"

by Anonymousreply 168October 7, 2019 3:01 AM

I think the brown dress with orange highlights was an exceptional and bold move. The dress IS slimming and it move beautifully. It is one of the few musicals of Judy's that take place in the present, and although a tiny bit chubby in it, Judy looks and sings sensationally in it!

I love her in the "Friendly Star" number, but "Happy Harvest" is my favorite as she sort of goofs on her own singing persona and her vocals are exhilarating!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 7, 2019 4:06 AM

Is she playing an escaped convict on the run from the law in the R169 clip above? She looks rough, like someone who's spent a decade in the slammer and will probably be arrested again soon.

by Anonymousreply 170October 7, 2019 5:21 AM

Summer Stock has really grown on me over the years. I have come to really love it. I think Judy looks lovely in it, and the little bit of additional weight suits her. If MGM had allowed her to look more natural instead of rail thin she might have been happier.

by Anonymousreply 171October 7, 2019 6:32 AM

r169, judy has something in her ears? They did not have wireless earphones then. It looks like it was filmed somewhere in the SF valley or perhaps carpenteria or Santa Maria?

by Anonymousreply 172October 7, 2019 8:34 AM

In that Happy Harvest number she looks like a 60 yr old woman who has had a face lift.

by Anonymousreply 173October 7, 2019 8:17 PM

Fat or thin, Judy was perfection.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 174October 7, 2019 9:09 PM

Judy was a trans ICON!

by Anonymousreply 175October 7, 2019 9:14 PM

Was Mrs Madrigal from "Tales of the City" inspired by Judy? Could she have played the character if she had lived another 25-30 years? She might have been a good Mother Mucca. There was always something of a brothel madam air about her.

by Anonymousreply 176October 7, 2019 9:17 PM

Had Judy been healthy she could have done the films of Gypsy, Dolly, Mame and Funny Girl. They could have had her sing The Music That Makes Me Dance.

by Anonymousreply 177October 7, 2019 9:42 PM

A fortysomething Garland as a young Jewish girl trying to break into showbiz and delivering lines like, "I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls"? What next? Little Orphan Annie in the film version of the musical?

by Anonymousreply 178October 7, 2019 9:46 PM

R169 It looks like a commercial for Benzos.

by Anonymousreply 179October 7, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]A fortysomething Garland as a young Jewish girl trying to break into showbiz

In A Star is Born, Garland looked like a fiftysomething as a young girl trying to break into showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 180October 7, 2019 10:00 PM

I've always felt that Judy's androgynous bone structure, in a small but subtle way, played into her status as THE Icon for White Gays. She was not only as tortured and histrionic as we were, but my God... she even looked like us!

by Anonymousreply 181October 7, 2019 10:25 PM

When you see Garland in the costume tests for Valley Of The Dolls it's very clear that only her particular short messy hair and signature look or simple dresses or short jackets with slacks really suited her. It's not that she couldn't look stylish, but she couldn't really pull off long hair or feminine clothes. Liza was even more limited in what looked right on her. But to her credit - she certainly perfected it. Liza had style. Just the one.

Of course young Garland was cute and she had nice lips, pretty hair and eyes. But always with a tomboyish kind of vibe. She was always one of the worlds' worst dressed women - except for the few episodes of her TV show when she was dressed by Edith Head. The Mackie Costumes did nothing for her, but I'm sure she enjoyed looking so T H I N.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 7, 2019 10:51 PM

Travilla made many people look good. Garland, Monroe, Tate...Gable, Russell, Crawford, Flynn and more.

by Anonymousreply 183October 7, 2019 10:56 PM

So this is what a DLEG Trigger Post looks like.

by Anonymousreply 184October 7, 2019 11:03 PM

R182 So is she high as a kite during that fitting? With the technology we have in film today it would be interesting to take bits like this and CGI her whole performance into the original film and remarket it to a new audience.

by Anonymousreply 185October 8, 2019 12:18 AM

[Quote]In A Star is Born, Garland looked like a fiftysomething as a young girl trying to break into showbiz.

That film's plot falls apart completely because she looks haggard and like an even bigger washed up wreck than he does. The film would make more sense if it were about two has-beens and their shared descent to hell. Another plausible scenario would have been Garland as a Norma Desmond type, on the brink of insanity, refusing to accept that she's decrepit and forgotten, and still yearning for ingenue roles. She's ludicrous as a young girl trying to get her big break.

by Anonymousreply 186October 8, 2019 6:40 AM

You Judy haters are all BASTARD PEOPLE!!!

by Anonymousreply 187October 8, 2019 10:38 PM

Regarding Judy Garland's death, her overdose of the barbiturate Seconal was accidental. That drug has what's known as a narrow therapeutic index, meaning the prescribed dose that brings on sleep and the amount that can cause death are very close. My understanding is that Judy didn't read the label or check the capsules in the bottle she retrieved in the dark, so she accidentally took too many of a higher strength under the assumption they were identical to others she usually took. The drug works rapidly, so she was unconscious quickly. When Mickey Dean discovered her in the morning, rigor mortis was present, so she died the night before. Seconal is used for euthanasia in humans and animals.

by Anonymousreply 188October 8, 2019 11:33 PM

“Judy” Is What Happens When a Film Loves Its Subject Too Much

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 9, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote]Regarding Judy Garland's death, her overdose of the barbiturate Seconal was accidental.

Sure, Liza.

by Anonymousreply 190October 9, 2019 1:48 AM

R188. I'm 37 years old. I contribute here. I know a bit about some things. Judy Garland had made dozens if not hundreds of suicide attempts during her lifetime. She was a drug addict for 30 + years. She wasn't just some lady who mixed up her sleep medication. She'd slashed her throat in front of her own children, threatened every kind of personal violence to herself for decades. The night of her death - you think her medication was maybe accidental? She weighed 12 pounds and was living over a garage. Drug addicts don't read labels. They go by colors and don't count. Even sane people forget IF they took their pills. Does it really matter? Garland was lucky to have a toilet and a roof over her head. Some kind of husband who didn't smother her. Then Liza arrived with all the yellow roses, because mama loved Yellow. YUCK. Judy died, raide et mort sur la toilette. Just in time.

by Anonymousreply 191October 9, 2019 2:11 AM

[quote]Then Liza arrived with all the yellow roses, because mama loved Yellow.

I gave her roses in death because I couldn't give her my time in life.

But I was TERRIF on stage, wasn't I? Tell me I was! Tell me I was! Better than Mama? Really? Oooooooh, STOP!

by Anonymousreply 192October 9, 2019 3:36 AM

Cause Vaudeville's back at The Palace...and I'mmmmmmm onnnnnn the pillllllllllllllsssssss!

by Anonymousreply 193October 9, 2019 3:53 AM

R191, the explanation I posted is the official inquest's conclusion. There was no note or indication she was suicidal. Judy Garland's death certificate states her death was due to accidental overdose of Seconal.

by Anonymousreply 194October 9, 2019 4:00 AM

[quote]I know a bit about some things.

But NOT Judy.

by Anonymousreply 195October 9, 2019 4:08 AM

OP, are you trying to compare your lack of a non-existent gay gene to the struggles Mizz Garland experienced? Listen here you white, over-privileged, haughty and perhaps overlooked cocksucker... the people before us perfected loss, tragedy and sacrifice. You don't honor it by moaning about how you can't live up. Or how you don't have the latest IPhone. Figure out what the generation after you will consider tragic and shoot for that. But keep Judy's story and contributions alive so that that others can see what art and talent looks like,

by Anonymousreply 196October 9, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote]There was no note or indication she was suicidal. Judy Garland's death certificate states her death was due to accidental overdose.

Crazy lying bitch was suicidal every other day for 30 years BEFORE the day she died. But "accidental" that day?

Did you see the shack she died in and the pitiful cheap experience of her losing her own voice and any sense of herself? That cheap boa and the wan songs? When you're that far gone in liver deterioration, most won't know that they're mentally gone. Judy was ataxic. She moved strangely and had fixed stares and was beginning to seem drunk when sober. Drugs and booze and pills. She wasn't smart enough to know that she was dying. Bitch killed herself and she took a damn long time to do it. So much denial is required to be that stupid for decades. She went out with a whimper, on the toilet. Another drug overdose. Again.

by Anonymousreply 197October 9, 2019 4:29 AM

I utterly loathe know-it-all cunts like r191 who, in fact, know NOTHING of which they speak. They think their miserable lives are the touchstone for everyone and that we all think, feel, react, and behave exactly as they would in their ignorant stupor. Judy Garland was one of the greatest artists to ever walk the planet. Show some goddam respect.

by Anonymousreply 198October 9, 2019 4:44 AM

You love, you loathe. You think charlie is erudite R198? My life is not miserable. Read my posts again. I am not ignorant or in a stupor. You can't see what MONSTER talent I possess. Young eyes are clear, bright, insightful eyes. I'm the man willing to listen to your Judy Garland albums. Once. But only once. She's one of the great artists but a dead talent. Nobody wants to hear that kind of singing anymore. Great voice she had. But her singing style is as anachronistic as your ASS R198!

Judy can be enjoyed in context. She was a mess but very talented. Woman on The Verge was about her. And so many other more maudlin shows. Judy's voice was quite grande. Full and expressive with those great crescendos. The long held notes...but they trailed off and wavered. She was honestly a better singer when she kept it less bombastic. People sing better now. Judy was a suicidal tweaker with a whacky vibrato. Emotional.

I don't know it all and I never use the word C*nT. Only bitter fags (who worship female film stars) talk that way R198. I pray that jesus can grant you peace in your remaining years. Judy was great. All I said was that she was always trying to kill herself. In front of her kids and husband(s) and managers, in cheap locked bathrooms and around hall corners - and ya know what - she succeeded when her companion was too drunk to save her. Amen. What safer place than the loo. Show some goddam respect R198.

by Anonymousreply 199October 9, 2019 5:15 AM

It would be a hoot if it were to be revealed that St Judy mocked the loyal lapdog-like queens in private and dried cruel imitations of the way they behaved in her presence. The elderqueens would defend that too and find a way to blame the studios, Mayer, Judy's husbands, American society, Hollywood, her supermarket cashiers, Donald Trump and the moon landing for Judy's behavior.

I tried to give her a fair shot and listened to her music. My opinion is the same as it was before. I find her timbre extremely unpleasant, verging on ugly, and that vibrato is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Even her softer numbers sound harsh. If "blowsy" could be used to describe singing instead of appearance, it'd be the word I use about her music. I find her acting in movies even more unbearable. She is constantly in performance mode, trying to hog the spotlight. Not once does she even try to convincingly play the character.

She was a relic of a bygone era and her style hasn't aged well at all. She should have been a silent movie star instead. Without that harsh, braying, boozy voice she may have been tolerable. For about five minutes until she started mugging for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 200October 9, 2019 6:09 AM

I agree R200. There's no getting past her hideous vibrato and everything about Garland's performances are bygone and corny. You won't catch me trying to convince you otherwise. I think her voice suits this well known song. Doesn't require great artistry - just the best swing for the fences singer in the bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 9, 2019 7:07 AM

As Judy emerged from her basement dressing room after her concert in Chicago in May 1965, we, a small child at the time, quickly ran in the dressing room and snatched the fresh yellow roses that were sitting in a vase on the table. Once home we pressed them into a book but, alas, lost them long ago. Judy did not speak to us but she did speak to a little fish who was also present.

by Anonymousreply 202October 9, 2019 8:35 AM

I'd have snatched her fresh yellow capsules on the dressing room table.

by Anonymousreply 203October 9, 2019 9:26 AM

r196 Gurl, I just posted the damn article / think piece, mainly because of the colourful preview image which I enjoyed, and to possibly spark an interesting debate among those who might be more knowledgeable on the matter. I have no dog in this hunt, so address the author instead.

by Anonymousreply 204October 9, 2019 11:15 AM

Her renditions of Over the Rainbow and The Man That Got away are timeless. Her performance in TWOO is the reason why it is still shown in multiplexes.

Didn't Rolling Stone do a list of the ten greatest songs and the only one from the great American book was Rainbow and that was because of Garland's performance.

Two other great performances I love are Embraceable You from Girl Crazy and FDR Jones from Babes on Broadway. I never thought her style dated or corny. Maybe because she was such a genius she stands alone.

by Anonymousreply 205October 9, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote]Not once does she even try to convincingly play the character.

Watch this clip from "I Could Gone on Singing." I warn you R200, it's 10 minutes long, but the 6m:42s scene beginning at 1:22 until 7:04 is some of Garland's best work. She doesn't sing a note.

And it was shot in one take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 9, 2019 6:37 PM

And this from ASIB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 9, 2019 6:38 PM

I thought the other poster was kidding when s/he said Judy died above a garage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 9, 2019 6:46 PM

Thank you for the clips, Dutch (R206 and R207). I stand corrected. I thought she was very good in the clip from "I Could Go On Singing" except for one or two brief moments where her delivery sounds a tiny bit affected and reminiscent of Kate Hepburn. She was ok in the first half of the ASIB clip, but I found her cringeworthy towards the end. To be fair to her I was also a bit distracted by how much she looks like Liza in that clip.

I've found her unbearable in musicals, but her speaking voice doesn't quite grate on my ears like her singing does.

by Anonymousreply 209October 9, 2019 8:21 PM

R208 Are we sure it wasn’t carbon monoxide poisoning?

by Anonymousreply 210October 10, 2019 1:11 AM

[quotes]Nobody wants to hear that kind of singing anymore.

Presenting your dumb opinion as fact is fucking annoying.

People want to hear all kinds of singing, Judy's among them. Clearly if she's still culturally relevant fifty years after her death her singing is not out of fashion, that's a foolish assertion.

By the way, "Judy at Carnegie Hall" which was released in 1961 has never been out of print!

by Anonymousreply 211October 10, 2019 2:49 AM

R207 That is such a hammy, community theater performance.

It's actually pretty amusing.

by Anonymousreply 212October 10, 2019 2:52 AM

[quote]There was no note or indication she was suicidal.

Other than her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 213October 10, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote]It's actually pretty amusing.

Amusing enough to get her an Academy Award nomination.

Perhaps you should watch the restored film version and you'll get a better overall performance.

by Anonymousreply 214October 10, 2019 2:57 AM

Judy is timeless. The rest of us will be forgotten, but never Judy. Even at her blackest, she had more star power than anyone EVER. She is the world's greatest entertainer!! Here is one of her great performances - there's no faking this kind of talent. She's be a star at anytime in history. If she had only her voice, she would break your heart. She seems lit up from within. Talent is always in style. The kids today love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 10, 2019 3:21 AM

There are a few people around who think Jolson is a great entertainer believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 216October 10, 2019 4:04 AM

People, just block these ignorant cunts. They are not worth your time.

by Anonymousreply 217October 10, 2019 4:13 AM

The mews cottage at number 4 Cadogan Lane, from which Judy ascended into Heaven on June 22, 1969, is in the most exclusive and expensive part of London. And the prices there were correspondingly high in 1969 as well. Few DL sisters could afford to even rent a room there today. In the early 1990s, when we were making a lot of money and everything was nice and we were happy, we would often stay at the Wilbraham Hotel nearby from which we would sometimes make a small pilgrimage to Number 4.

by Anonymousreply 218October 10, 2019 9:09 AM

The place Judy Garland died in was in a cute neighborhood, but it looks like a shitty place:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 10, 2019 6:12 PM

When we were a successful number in the 1980s we met an eldersister in London. She had worked at Shepperton Studios in the 1960s and had stories to tell of Miss Judy Garland (the World's Biggest Star!) making her last picture.

According to this auntie, Miss Judy was rightly annoyed that that cheap British studio had not given her a trailer with potty facilities as is customary in America for movie stars. To show her righteous disapproval, Miss Garland did her business in a waste can in her trailer. It was this eldersister's job to clean out the contents.

Anywho, this eldersister told us a secret. She had saved the holy relics from this bin and placed each in a mason jar of formaldehyde.

We managed to secure one of these sacred relics by performing services on this sister we would not have otherwise been inclined to perform.

It was well worth it. We still have this treasured memento of Earth's Biggest Star.

Oh how we crave a taste, but we dare not commit such sacrilege. Do we?

by Anonymousreply 220October 11, 2019 5:50 PM

We need pics as verificatia!

by Anonymousreply 221October 11, 2019 6:45 PM

Stop stealing other people's shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222October 11, 2019 6:51 PM

I've just reached out to Liza's people because Judy's poo needs to be in the Smithsonian.

But I worry that she won't get my message, as my contacts are very old. And I don't even know if Liza has "people" anymore.

Does anyone know Lorna? I think Randy Rainbow is friends with her.

by Anonymousreply 223October 12, 2019 12:55 AM

Come shit by me, r223.

by Anonymousreply 224October 12, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote]Stop stealing other people's shit!

And subplot from Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

by Anonymousreply 225October 12, 2019 4:10 AM

As a young girl, Miss Boozette almost ruined our life.

As an adult, Miss Poozette has done far worse.

Please say a novena for us.

by Anonymousreply 226October 13, 2019 1:48 AM

Most gay men under 55 do not care about Judy. It's not just "Gen Z"

by Anonymousreply 227October 13, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote] It's not just "Gen Z"

Ha! It's Liza with a Z!

Not Lisa with an S!

Cause Lisa with a something something something. Isn't tonight TERRIF???? Oh, Mama! Are ya wacthin'? I know ya are mama!

Do you know that my mama was the great Judy Garland? True story.

by Anonymousreply 228October 13, 2019 1:56 AM

Good Christ!

by Anonymousreply 229October 13, 2019 2:15 AM

Good Christ!

by Anonymousreply 230October 13, 2019 2:15 AM

I like the shapes that aren't circles.

by Anonymousreply 231October 13, 2019 2:24 AM

It's Liza on X.

Not Judy on G.

Cause Judy on G

Is D as in dead.

by Anonymousreply 232October 13, 2019 2:25 AM

More R232!

I'm about to piss myself laughing!

by Anonymousreply 233October 13, 2019 2:28 AM

Each night, we light a candle for Saint Judith and say ten Hail Judys.

And then we slip off our floral housecoat and fall asleep crying for our remote, misspent youth, only to discover in dreams, night after dreadful night, that the entrance ramp to Over the Rainbow has been boarded up and sprayed with hateful graffiti that our mother, an icy number, wrote about us. Hateful old trout.

by Anonymousreply 234October 14, 2019 12:30 AM

Saint Judith appeared to us last night on the toilet. We could hardly hear her booze-talk over our crying.

She told us to ignore mother, an icy number, and follow her.

Saint Judy told us that tuna-tasters will fuck anything -- even Frank Sinatra, with his enormous sizemeat, would fuck Saint Judith when she was 250 pounds. And people ask why she is our patron saint!

Sisters are so much more particular! It is time that we transition. To go from sis-tah to FISH-tah!

No, it is not what we planned, but it is what we must do to score scorching hot Hungarian sizemeat.

Say a novena to Saint Judith for us.

We shall go under the veil -- and anesthesia -- next week.

by Anonymousreply 235October 15, 2019 12:55 AM

We heard that NPR was reporting that Catalan separatists were roaming Barcelona and setting fire to any garbage they found.

In spite of this, we remain unlit.

We wanted all our many fans to know we are safe.

by Anonymousreply 236October 17, 2019 1:35 AM

Why are vegan sisters so selfish with their delicious poo?

Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 237October 19, 2019 10:46 PM

Its not just Judy Garland....I know someone in their late 30s who stopped over while Some Like It Hot happened to be on tv...he says to me "whos the hot blonde?" I just stared at him and said it was Marilyn Monroe. He said he had heard her name before, but didnt know anything about her. Its sad really.

by Anonymousreply 238October 19, 2019 11:23 PM

R238 It is sad to us because it is symbolic, as we, too, shall be forgotten.

If people don't remember Marilyn Monroe, what chance do we have?

by Anonymousreply 239October 19, 2019 11:26 PM

R237 Mrs. Patrick Campbell, I saw your portrait on view at the Morgan Library and Museum John Singer Sargent charcoal portraits show yesterday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240October 19, 2019 11:27 PM

R240 And people question how elderly she is.

by Anonymousreply 241October 20, 2019 7:11 PM

She modeled for cave painters R241.

by Anonymousreply 242October 21, 2019 4:33 AM

Any and all gay icons that ever existed were over taken by the ultimate gay icon Princess Diana!

by Anonymousreply 243October 23, 2019 5:47 AM

Will there come a day when the smurfs are forgotten??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 23, 2019 5:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!