Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucy Calls the President

I just watched it on Amazon Prime. Absolutely fascinating. It was the show Vivian Vance made her first appearance after her stroke but that's minor. The entire show is one weird mashup of every Lucy gag. The writers, Davis and Carroll had grown so lazy that they started recycling jokes word for word. It becomes a game to remember which Lucy show a particular line or gag came from. An interesting change is that Lucy allowed them to give her the last name Whittaker, which conflicted with her tradition of having the "ar" sound in the last name. Lucy really isn't too bad and she's strangely not as annoying as she was during her later series. Gale Gordon is brought on to do Fred Mertz and he also isn't as much of a drag as he was as Mr. Mooney. The only one who really brings her A game is Mary Wickes who plays Lucy's aunt, although she was younger. Viv Is okay but it was a sad end to her career. The real bomb in the show is Ed McMahon who plays Lucy's husband, although he was a decade younger. His delivery is atrocious and he even has the "I'm not nervous" scene and stands up to reveal he forgot to put on his trousers. Even casual ILL fans know what will happen next. Lucy looks very nice, slim and well costumed and her skill becomes evident when she's given several names to recite and does it many times in the show. Even though it was clearly on cue cards, she does a good job with it. It was fun seeing them do the show on the "Maude" set. Overall, I think it's an interesting addition to the Lucy canon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 3:06 PM

It looked awful, from that clip.

And wow did the booze and cigs really do a number on Lucy's voice. It turned so low and raspy.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2019 3:04 AM

Was just going to start a thread on this.

This clip alone makes me ... I don't know. Sad? (Yes I know MARY!!!!!!!) It's clear Viv is not well (I think she recently suffered a stroke, and maybe was suffering from the cancer that eventually killed her). And this was the last time Lucy and Viv appeared on screen together.

But what is also amusing is that, despite her illness, Viv looks and sounds fresher than Lucy ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 3:04 PM

And Gale Gordon remains as unfunny as ever

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 3:09 PM

Funny that a second poster was wanted to start a thread on Lucy Calls the President. How random is that? Is it “trending” (hate that term) for some reason? Things like this are why I love coming here.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 3:20 PM

Loved Lucy...but always felt Vivian Vance was underrated and enjoyed the Lucy/Viv interplay

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 3:22 PM

Poor Lucy. After Viv was gone, she missed her every day of her life.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 3:24 PM

Lucy got real hard real quick. Lucy and Viv's trademark "surprise jump" is just sad. You can't do the same comedy in your 60's as you can in your 30's. It just stops working at some point. I think it's the fluidity of movement you eventually lose.

I always felt like Vivian Vance was underrated as an actress, and truly, a nice, classy lady in real life. Shame she had a bad run of it with some terrible marriages and mental illness. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 3:27 PM

I haven't seen it since its network TV rerun, having watched it when it first aired, and remember nothing about it except Lillian Carter's cameo at the end and Lucy speaking funny because she broke a tooth on peanut brittle.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 3:28 PM

[quote]You can't do the same comedy in your 60's as you can in your 30's.

Hold my beer.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 3:29 PM

God, people looked so much older back then. Lucy, Viv and Gale were only in their 60s and they all looked like a modern 80something.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2021 4:45 PM

What role did Mary Jane Croft play?

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2021 6:13 PM

r10 there's only so much tape in the world

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2021 7:05 PM

Lucy with that truck stop waitress voice.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2021 7:09 PM

The booze and cigs really did a number on Lucy's voice and looks.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote]What role did Mary Jane Croft play?

Desi's fluffer.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2021 7:55 PM

I think this was Mary Jane Croft's last television appearance

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2021 3:37 PM

Sorry boys, I’m late to the party. Is this a TV movie?

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2021 3:55 PM

I think it was more of a "TV special" r17

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2021 4:01 PM

It was not done on the Maude set.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2021 4:39 PM

For shame, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 9:48 PM

R19, they didn't even change the wallpaper in the kitchen. It was absolutely the same set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 10:07 PM

Maude Findley's kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2021 10:09 PM

Good eye r22

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2021 10:29 PM

These Lucy specials sound godawful, and I need to see every one of them.

[quote]Lucy Collins comes to Las Vegas to see Dean Martin perform at the newly-opened MGM Grand Hotel. When Lucy’s reservation falls through, she hears that Martin is doing a special show for employees and promptly gets herself hired. Naturally, Lucy causes chaos in each department she is transferred to: valet parking, cocktail waitress, Keno girl. But Lucy gets lucky when Dean Martin takes a liking to her and arranges a front row seat at his show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2021 11:04 PM

I'm watching it now. It's... not good.

Lucy would have been great as a foil to Archie Bunker or Maude, but she hated those "topical" shows, so instead stuck to dated dreck like this.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 11:04 PM

OK, they used the same kitchen. I didn't watch the piece of crap that far.

The living room is NOT from Maude.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 11:07 PM

I read years ago that Lucy was offered a guest spot on the golden girls as rose’s cousin from st Olaf and she was close to doing it but ultimately passed.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 11:32 PM

Gary...?

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 12:28 AM

[quote]Gary...?

Right, Gary Morton advised against it.

"Who wants to watch a show about a bunch of dykes living in a house in Miami ?"

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 12:42 AM

[quote]Lucy would have been great as a foil to Archie Bunker or Maude, but she hated those "topical" shows, so instead stuck to dated dreck like this.

It's too bad Lucy didn't move with the times, she could've done some interesting work. Instead she kept playing the wacky "Lucy" character for the rest of her career and of course it was so dated and she was too old. I've watched some "Life With Lucy" clips on Youtube and it was so embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 1:06 AM

"Lucy Calls the President" is referred to by hardcore Lucy fans as "the last hurrah," the last time Lucy, Vivian, Gale, and Mary Jane worked together. So it has considerable sentimental value.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 1:09 AM

Lucy couldn't move with the times the way Cloris Leachman did or even the way Mary Tyler Moore did (from the DVD Show to the MTM Show).

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 1:10 AM

It was kind of painful to watch Lucy as she got older and was still doing the same type of comedy. She looked embalmed and you were scared she was going to break a hip doing those pratfalls.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote]It was kind of painful to watch Lucy as she got older and was still doing the same type of comedy. She looked embalmed and you were scared she was going to break a hip doing those pratfalls.

Tape up the face, slap on the wig, put her in a jewel-toned velour running suit and COMEDY MAGIC.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 1:21 AM

And also on Life With Lucy, she was supposed to be a "health nut" when the ravages of booze and cigs were so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 1:24 AM

Oh, r24, make sure you don't miss...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 1:30 AM

[quote]Tape up the face, slap on the wig, put her in a jewel-toned velour running suit and COMEDY MAGIC.

Marry me r34

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote]It was kind of painful to watch Lucy as she got older and was still doing the same type of comedy. She looked embalmed and you were scared she was going to break a hip doing those pratfalls.

I agree, r33. I don't think it helped that Lucy, essentially, could only "do" one type of comedy. Granted, she could do it very well. But she wasn't particularly versatile.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 3:05 PM

I loved that clip. Better than anything today.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!