Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Provincetown, along with Cape Cod at the forefront of global warming

"The Cape we love is at risk now. Cape Cod is perched on a stretch of ocean warming faster than nearly any in the world. And as much as we might wish it away, as hard as we try to ignore it, the effects of climate change here are already visible, tangible, measurable, disturbing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2019 4:38 PM

Does this mean the dick dock will soon be no more?

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2019 11:40 AM

R1 - it already completely floods at high tide on a full and new moon. So yes.

Oh the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2019 11:42 AM

How fares Boy Beach? Is it still unsubmerged?

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2019 11:43 AM

R2: I haven't been to Ptown since 2007. If the water is that far up, does Commercial Street flood at high tide as well? Are they making any plans?

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2019 12:28 PM

Is it still gay?

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2019 12:31 PM

How do the businesses survive there in the winter?

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2019 12:32 PM

R6: I was there in November several years ago. I arrived on Wednesday. Wednesday night, Commercial Street was a ghost town and most businesses were closed. It picked up considerably on Thursday, and Friday and Saturday nights were quite lively. Lots of weekenders come in on Thursday and leave on Sunday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2019 12:43 PM

R4, Commercial Street has flooded at high tide for decades. Especially through that little alley by the old fire house, across from Spiritus. That’s a low point in the road.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2019 12:57 PM

When I lived in Ptown, I’d drive the 6 miles to Highland Light, then jump down the cliff to the beach. One time I saw a snake on the path that must hav been over a meter long! I’d usually have the beach alone to myself, my own party. (That was before the whole erosion thing was clear.)

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2019 2:34 PM

What will happen to the Kennedy Compound?

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2019 3:20 PM

Yup, downtown streets in the town of Nantucket flood after big rain storms and some of the historic downtown building have permanent water in their foundations (basements) because of the rising water table. In 40 years about a quarter of the island include a large part of the historic town will be under water. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2019 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!