Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why'd Judy Garland and Sid Luft's marriage fail?

He comes across as pretty reasonable in the new film.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2019 6:41 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2019 9:56 PM

Good question!

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2019 9:56 PM

He wasn’t an FOD (Friend of Dick)

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2019 10:04 PM

Judy's breakdowns got in the way of his gambling?

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2019 10:21 PM

The new "Sid & Judy" documentary on SHOWTIME is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2019 12:46 PM

Sid was vicious, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2019 12:52 PM

Umm, hello!! You do realize she was a pill popping, drugged up, alcoholic train wreck. It's kind of hard to stay married to that type of person. Don't believe me? Just ask Liza.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2019 12:54 PM

there wasnt a human being on the planet that could have made a marriage with her work. She was a drug addicted, neurotic , ultra-needy mess.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2019 12:57 PM

It's told from his point of view, so of course it's sympathetic to him. It alludes to drinking, gambling, separations and not entirely successful management of her career. Sid was not a walk in the park. If Judy had not been such a trainwreck maybe she could have set some limits with him, but she was mostly concerned with herself and her moment to moment craziness. I'd never seen pics of "fat Judy" but she really could balloon (and did, apparently related to liver problems)--between her weight and greasepaint eyebrows that looked like they'd been done in a closet, she looked a bit like Divin and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2019 12:58 PM

Sid had his own problems: a two-fisted drinker and gambling addict with anger issues and a habit of living off of women. That said, he seemed to truly care for Judy, and she never would have had the success that she did in the 50s if she hadn't become involved with him. Once they split, her career and her life rapidly went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2019 1:00 PM

Judy should have got the Oscar for "A Star is Born" instead of that wide-faced blond.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2019 1:07 PM

r11 Grace Kelly fucked a lot of people for that win.

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2019 2:16 PM

Grace Kelly fucked a lot of people, period.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2019 5:00 PM

he took all her money

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2019 5:02 PM

the recorded phonecalls of Sid's in the documentary make him sound like a wimp. He threw her under the bus in each call.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]He threw her under the bus

He threw her under the *trolley*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2019 5:09 PM

He didnt need to "throw her under the bus" She wholeheartly threw herself under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2019 5:58 PM

did you listen to those phonecalls they played in the doc? He never stuck up for her.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2019 6:01 PM

R8 here.

Hissssssssss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2019 6:12 PM

After all this Judy hoopla started, I read four books about her- Lorna, Mel Torme, Stevie Phillips, and Rainbow's End, about the series, show by show. What comes through in all four book is both how gifted Judy was- a genius, really; but she was also a monster. I think most people, after getting to know her, would have backed away fast. Each book has harrowing scenes of awful, crazed behavior, all of which sound authentic. Now when I see a photograph of Judy smiling always smiling that great grin I see a crazy woman. Poor soul.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2019 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!