Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whistle-Blower Is a C.I.A. Officer Who Was Detailed to the White House

WASHINGTON — The whistle-blower who revealed that President Trump sought foreign help for his re-election and that the White House sought to cover it up is a C.I.A. officer who was detailed to work at the White House at one point, according to three people familiar with his identity. The man has since returned to the C.I.A., the people said. Little else is known about him. His complaint made public Thursday suggested he was an analyst by training and made clear he was steeped in details of American foreign policy toward Europe, demonstrating a sophisticated understanding of Ukrainian politics and at least some knowledge of the law. The whistle-blower’s expertise will likely add to lawmakers’ confidence about the merits of his complaint, and tamp down allegations that he might have misunderstood what he learned about Mr. Trump. He did not listen directly to a July call between Mr. Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine that is at the center of the political firestorm over the president’s mixing of diplomacy with personal political gain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2019 3:06 PM

So I don’t think this is anyone whose name we’ve heard before. The person is still working.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2019 6:10 PM

Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2019 6:14 PM

Oh yes! I don't think it could get any better than that.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2019 6:25 PM

Hannity's GIANT FAT HEAD is going to explode!

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2019 6:32 PM

Trump more or less threatened his life this morning, saying whoever did so was “close to a spy” and that “in the old days,” spies were dealt with differently, so I'm not sure if "better" is applicable at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2019 6:33 PM

The Washington Post pointed out that while Repubs are calling it all "hearsay," the whistleblower nailed all the details of the call that were revealed yesterday down to a T.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2019 6:41 PM

You know what we used to do in the old days to bellicose fascist windbags? Google 'dead mussolini photo,' Donny.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2019 6:54 PM

r5 That's why I don't understand this desire here on DL to know his name. The sooner he's outed, the sooner the GOP can get to him / his family. Leave him alone and respect the whistleblowing law!

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2019 7:17 PM

As soon as the whistleblower testifies before congress their identity is exposed, a closed door meeting won't protect them. Republicans will be texting breitbart their identity as the whistleblower is reading their opening statement.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2019 7:23 PM

“Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you,” Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow.

“So even for a practical, supposedly hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this.”

Looks like Schumer was right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2019 7:37 PM

So did the CIA send him there to spy or did everyone know he was from the CIA and had a specific role in the WH?

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2019 8:02 PM

And then The New York Times helpfully outed him so that Trump could get the job done, r5.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2019 8:38 PM

As I understand it, r11, the State Department and the CIA (and doubtless other agencies) have staff in the West Wing at all times, to help coordinate matters and be there in case of an emergency. They have assigned spots in the situation room.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2019 8:38 PM

Isn’t this hearsay then? In court shows on tv that’s not allowed as testimony.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2019 9:14 PM

R13 They do, and there are only so many of ‘me there with requisite clearances on any given day.

Meaning thy already know who it is. Thoughts and prayers ( and a move to an undisclosed location) for him tonight and in the days to come.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2019 12:14 AM

R14, supposedly the IG interviewed people cited in the whistleblower’s report who had direct knowledge and they pretty much confirmed the WB’s account. That’s not hearsay.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2019 12:22 AM

Besides, this isn't a court of law. It's a Congressional impeachment hearing.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2019 12:26 AM

The NYT indicated that this CIA officer has specific expertise in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2019 1:28 AM

At least Bob Novak is dead.

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]“Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you,” Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow.

Trump shits ALL over the Intelligence Community over and over starting on his first day as President.

I'm wondering why the CIA, spies and spooks haven't just...."neutralized" Trump by now? I thought they had all kinds of smarts and patriotism? I guess not. I wouldn't complain.

by Anonymousreply 20September 27, 2019 1:45 AM

Damn -- I wanted it to be John Bolton!

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2019 2:10 AM

John Bolton can be a witness, no?

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2019 9:46 AM

I don't want the whistleblower outed, we want more people to feel like they can come forward

by Anonymousreply 23September 27, 2019 9:58 AM

The whistleblower was more than one person it was a coalition of a few people but there was one person who spearheaded the operation.

by Anonymousreply 24September 27, 2019 10:12 AM

The whistleblower is quite extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 25September 27, 2019 10:29 AM

He threatens people all the time. He was going to put Hillary Clinton in jail. He threatens American cities (San Francisco, sanctuary cities). He threatens government agencies (EPA). He threatens companies (Amazon, Toyota, NBC, GM). He threatens other countries (N. Korea, Iran, Mexico). He threatens people (James Comey, Maxine Waters, Stormy Daniels). He threatens to sue people (the women who accused him of rape; journalists). He threatened to shut down the government... That's all he does: threaten and seek revenge.

by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2019 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!