Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

….The Hell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2021 7:50 AM

Main guy is cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2019 3:17 AM

So, who's The Gay?

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2019 3:35 AM

This is at least one of them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2019 3:44 AM

I hope Corbin & Lucas come back for a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2019 10:43 AM

It’s probably gonna do well and be this generations Glee - the storyline is not completely child friendly

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2019 10:45 AM

I just watched it. I don't get the shaky cam aesthetic. Are we supposed to believe someone is listening in to these characters private conversations? There is no score either. The music comes entirely from the rehearsal and performance footage.

The best friend of the main girl is annoying as fuck with her patriachy and intersectional feminist BS. It's hard to tell with these characters if the creators are making fun of them or if we're supposed to take them seriously.

The comedy feels forced, but the actors are obviously trying. The two main guys fighting for the main girl's affections are very cute.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 11:43 PM

Disney+'s 'High School Musical' Show Finally Includes Out Gay Characters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 5:28 AM

Of course, the out gay character is an effeminate choreographer.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 1:18 PM

Do us a favor, Disney, skip the gay characters if you're going to portray them as flaming queens. Better they not be in the cast. How about a gay wrestler or football captain, rather than the musical theater queen who wants to do drag?

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 1:52 PM

Baby steps

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 1:53 PM

Why the repetition of the word "musical"?

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 1:56 PM

The time to accept baby steps is over.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 2:17 PM

Looks like the next episode should have some gay content, as the resident gay main character is going to ask the resident gay recurring character to homecoming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2019 2:41 AM

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: Season One: Episode One: The Cast: Matt Cornett and Frankie A. Rodriguez.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2019 2:48 AM

The last episode was cute and hopefully will be the beginning of some nice gay stroylines.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2019 10:10 PM

Thanks to Whitney Houston, ‘High School Musical’ has its first gay romance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2019 10:17 PM

So the season ended, and it was actually pretty good. Much better than originally expected by me.

Of course we had two straight couples kiss on the lips, and Seb/Carlos only got a quick cheek kiss, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2020 6:33 PM

R1 I've read he's homophobic. Don't know if it's true though.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2020 7:59 PM

R17 Ugh, so fucking typical. Disney will never allow a gay kiss.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2020 8:01 PM

R11 Because the show is a mockumentary about kids at the actual high school where the movies were filmed doing the stage version of High School Musical as their school musical. I know, it's like the world's most annoying tongue twister.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2020 5:44 PM

It's been renewed for a season 2. Apparently they'll be doing Beauty And The Beast this time around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2020 5:45 PM

Seb and Carlos better get a proper storyline and actually kiss.

Of course, they probably won't since Disney's pretty homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2020 5:47 PM

r17 It's at least more than TJ and Cyrus got. But given they just dumped that Love Simon show to Hulu I doubt they're rushing to get better at this. Anyway at least Joshua Bassett and Matt Cornet are cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2020 5:56 PM

Of course they're cute. Disney's not going to hire ugly people for their straight leads.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2020 5:59 PM

Josh and Matt do seem awfully close....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2020 6:05 PM

The series is really weird and experimental. Does this even really count as a High School Musical spin-off considering it exists in the real world and HSM is just a movie in it? What an odd story and an even odder filming style choice (mockumentary).

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote] Do us a favor, Disney, skip the gay characters if you're going to portray them as flaming queens.

Yas, queen!

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2020 6:25 PM

I do commend them for casting people that actually look like high schoolers. Each of the actors actually looks like a seventeen year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2020 6:33 PM

I like that the gay best friend is the straight male protagonist's best friend this time and is also not effeminate or queeny in any way at all. It's a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2020 4:38 PM

The actor who plays the gay farmboy is cute and turned 22 in January.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2020 4:42 PM

R29 Best friend of the straight protagonist? Are you talking about Big Red? The character's not gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 21, 2020 4:27 AM

R29 Though if you're talking about Seb, I don't think he even know or had any scenes with the main character.

by Anonymousreply 32March 21, 2020 4:29 AM

One of the cast members has recently come out to friends and family members as being gay.

by Anonymousreply 33March 21, 2020 4:34 AM

Probably one of the girls R33

by Anonymousreply 34March 21, 2020 4:54 AM

Sighing over dreamy Corbin Bleu was the only way I could make it through the original movies my baby sister loved so much (I must have sat with her watching the second movie damn near fifty times).

Call me a petty bitch but as his character doesn’t appear in season one of this and won’t be in season two either as far as I know, I don’t really care to ever watch it. At least he has been a good sport in doing fun interviews with the new cast (like the one at the link). He’s in his 30s now but still very cute and fuckable; pity he’s married to a woman now.

OT but now that I bring it up and we’re talking about it - when is that Guns N’Roses biopic (the ‘Reckless Road’ one) finally going into production? Because Bleu looks too much like Slash to not cast him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 21, 2020 11:32 AM

Lucas Grabeel (Ryan from the original HSM movies) looked fat as fuck in his guest role!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 21, 2020 6:41 PM

You're correct, r34.

by Anonymousreply 37March 21, 2020 10:50 PM

R36 so Lucas was playing Lucas, not Ryan? Trippy.

I understand the premise of this new thing intellectually, but it’s hard to get around it emotionally when you know the characters of the movies so well and associate them with the whole HSM deal. Like I look at Grabeel doing something in a HSM-themed production and my abused Millennial wint-brain instantly goes “oh, there’s Ryan. That’s Ryan Evans”.

I didn’t catch his cameo. Did he shoehorn in some inane throwaway line or moment to reinforce his heteroseshuality like he did doing press for HSM? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2020 12:18 AM

Honestly, with the way Lucas looks now, I don't care if he really is straight.

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2020 12:50 AM

Fuck My Life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2020 12:59 AM

R39 I don’t care anymore either, but more because of his weak pandering vaguebook statements about sexuality (his character’s and his own) than his looks. Instead of being upfront and clear and honest, he just dodges the question with ‘bi/fluid/questioning’ nonsense - fine if you’re a kid in school, not if you’re a man well into his 30s who should have a grip and a backbone.

He gave a press statement recently that backtracks over everything positive said about his HSM character over the years in regards to LGB. If he really believes what he said, then he didn’t interpret the role the same way the rest of the world received it. Is it helpful for the kids of Now, already getting their heads messed with by Alphabet Soup, to hear that an obviously-gay boy (and later man) can’t just easily admit that he is and walk tall in that?

He says Ryan romantically “liked Kelsey”? And Zeke? Gurl, please, we all saw Ryan’s arc in HSM 2 and the thing with Chad.

[quote] Like all teenagers, Ryan was still figuring things out in high school. “Ryan was a guy who was really excited about theater and art and dance choreography and bright colors and hats,” Grabeel says. “But he also liked Kelsey, and he really liked [Zeke]. He didn’t need a label, because he wasn’t ready for that. He was still learning about himself and about people and where he fit into the world. I didn’t mean for it to be a giant statement, I actually wanted to be kind of subtle. I wanted to add nuance and little things that you might catch the second or third time you see the movies. I wanted people to think, ‘That character’s more complex than I thought,’ instead of saying, ‘Oh, he comes out in pink and you know he’s gay.’ That’s not what we had in mind. We had a lot of fun with putting in all those little nuances along the way.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2020 2:51 AM

Disney's relationship with gayness and showing it in their media is getting weirder by the day. Now they're okay with showing some examples of gay men but not okay with showing other ones??? The acrobatics of it all seems very exhausting. It's good that they're improving drastically enough to include openly gay male characters who actually share romantic scenes and kiss and touch and dance together.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2020 7:13 AM

R42 To Disney gays are okay as long as they're not actually doing anything gay

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2020 2:59 PM

R43 I wouldn't say that because the gays in their TV shows recently have had male-on-male kisses and dances and actual romantic displays of physical affection, but none of the gays have been... "normal" gay dudes. They've all been overly effeminate punchlines.

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2020 3:17 AM

R44 Well, all we got in this show was a small peck on the check and a hug

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2020 3:21 AM

r44 I think a large part of that is that these shows are mainly marketed at teen girls, so just about every boy who isn't an antagonist is usually overly sensitive. Though TJ was a reformed bully, who had a hoody collection and was Captain of the basketball team so he probably fits under your definition of normal gay dude.

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2020 9:09 AM

[quote]all we got in this show was a small peck on the check

A peck on a check is worthless unless it's also got a signature.

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2020 9:39 AM

I will not watch it unless I see that hottie zac efron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2020 9:58 AM

Twitter has already cancelled Bassett. Their researchers work fast in Coronacation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 23, 2020 11:10 AM

R49 Will he still be canceled for saying it if he comes out as gay?

by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2020 7:34 PM

R49 Yikes, and right before his debut album comes out. This might be a pothole his music career won't recover from.

by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2020 7:35 PM

so we all agree that in making Carlos play Chad Disney confirmed Chad x Ryan had a gay thing right

by Anonymousreply 52April 8, 2020 12:21 PM

Grabeel is probably yapping like that about the character because the actor himself doesn't want to be seen as gay.

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2020 5:06 AM

I finally watched. My favorite characters are Gina, Carlos, and Seb. The leads are BORING. I was pissed they never gave any story to the boy who played Ryan. And they cut short Bop to the Top.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2021 3:14 AM

The twinks who play the gay couple in the show are fucking irl and just made their red carpet debut as a couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2021 7:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!