Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When your gut bacteria send you on a bender without you knowing.

Go home microbiome. You're drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2019 2:11 PM

That’s fascinating.

My late father was a severe, intractable alcoholic and his liver was in fantastic shape. (Spoiler: booze murdered his pancreas, though).

The gut biome is what makes us crave sugar, too. Those little beasties are quite adamant. The more you eat, the more they proliferate and demand more sugar. It is possible to defeat them, but it require vigilance.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2019 12:00 PM

Interestingly - the two direct family members who didn’t drink got stomach and liver cancer. The two who drank regularly never got cancer - yet. I honestly believe that alcohol can be an anti-carcinogen for certain genetic types. Similar results were true on the female side of my family for breast cancer - and there is now a study that says those women with BRCA2 actually have a DECREASING cancer risk based on increased alcohol intake.

I believe the long history of alcohol intake in Europe may have created genetic biases towards those whose bodies reacted positively to it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2019 12:40 PM

Shouldn't it be gut bacteria sends not send?

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2019 2:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!