Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mashed potatoes are vile

Disgusting mushy baby food

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 28, 2019 4:16 PM

You must be making them wrong, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2019 6:46 PM

OP is vile.

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2019 6:46 PM

Grow up prisspot OP

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Actually I change what I said. I wouldn't even feed this shit to babies!!

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2019 6:49 PM

You're doing it wrong, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2019 6:50 PM

My brother, since he was an infant, won’t eat mashed potatoes. He doesn’t eat anything with that texture, still to this day. Hates it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2019 6:51 PM

Keep adding warm water more and more, stirring the mashed potatoes until it takes on the consistency of semen. We know you'll love it then, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2019 6:52 PM

I grew up with them so I like them. I've noticed that even though they are as simple as shit to make, most people seem to be mentally incapable of ensuring that there are no lumps. Some people are so bad at making this dish they don't even know that you MUST peel the potatoes first.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2019 6:58 PM

R8 some people like to eat the peel. Idk why.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2019 6:59 PM

They're delicious. OP is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2019 7:00 PM

French style mashed potatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2019 7:10 PM

OP only eats chicken fingers and fries.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2019 7:11 PM

That mash in OP's pic looks glue-y. Too much over-mixing. I prefer them fluffy... put through a ricer, and adding butter and some of the cooking water. No milk, no electric mixer, and sometimes just broth (stovies). Chive or crispy onions are good on top. I rarely eat them because of the carbs, but when I do, I bliss out in a seratonin food coma.

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2019 7:16 PM

The DL's Preferred Potato.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2019 7:24 PM

I don't peel my potatoes but make sure the skin is clean. I've heard the peel is good for you, but I like the extra flavor. Anyway, I slice the potatoes (with skin) into inch sized chunks then boil them until they are almost totally soft. Drain the water from the pan then use a fork to mash the potatoes to a rough mashed consistency. I add a tablespoon or two of milk, butter, then salt and pepper. Sometimes I add garlic, green onion, or cheddar (not American) cheese.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2019 7:37 PM

I like my mashed potatoes fairly dry. I don't like them so loaded with milk or cream that they practically run. Just butter, S&P and enough milk so they aren't too dry. I also like smashed potatoes. I make them with the Yukon gold potatoes and leave the skins on. Just scrub them good and cut them in like size pieces and boil. When they are done I smash them, skins and all. Lumps are OK. then Butter, S&P and a little milk. Serve with good gravy. yum.

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2019 7:39 PM

Have you tried our Baked Potato Bar, OP? It is very, very popular at weddings and other events!

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2019 7:41 PM

I prefer potato salad to mashed potatoes

by Anonymousreply 18September 23, 2019 8:03 PM

I hate when they are put through a ricer. They lose some consistency and become thin.

by Anonymousreply 19September 23, 2019 8:07 PM

If you don't like mashed potatoes, don't eat mashed potatoes. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 20September 23, 2019 8:17 PM

I can't R20. Mashed potatoes are everywhere and foul! They remind me of the gross plop of cafeteria ladies ladling them on your tray!

by Anonymousreply 21September 23, 2019 8:24 PM

I'm so sorry for your trauma and damage R21.

by Anonymousreply 22September 23, 2019 8:27 PM

Loaded mashed potatoes with sour cream, cheddar, and bacon, Heaven on Earth!

So healthy, it's basically all your food groups in one. Just add a t-bone steak for protein, and I'd eat until I explode.

by Anonymousreply 23September 23, 2019 8:28 PM

Do you eat them with a spoon or a fork r15 ?

by Anonymousreply 24September 23, 2019 8:33 PM

Irish Poor food.

by Anonymousreply 25September 23, 2019 8:38 PM

R21-mashed potatoes are everywhere? Where the hell are you that you are constantly bombarded with mashed potatoes? I seem only to encounter them during family dinners like Thanksgiving. If an upscale restaurant offers mashed potatoes in the guise of a puree, I simply ask to substitute something else. It isn't that hard to avoid food you don't like. The ubiquitous pumpkins lattes this time of year are even avoidable.

by Anonymousreply 26September 23, 2019 9:01 PM

Food Bar in Chelsea NYC had the yummiest garlic mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 27September 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 28September 23, 2019 9:21 PM

Oh my god! Is OP fucking crazy??? I will frigging eat mashed potatoes any which way you want to feed them to me. Riced, mashed, whipped. I don't give a shit just give me a lot! Butter, sour cream, chives, bacon? Sure!!! Pile it on. How about smashed with olive oil, cream, whole milk, or creme fraiche? Sounds good! Maybe piped back into their skins and twice baked? Love it!!! Colcannon? Fucking right! I'm there!

Yes. Love me some mash. Like all normal people. SMH @ OP. 😋

by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]They lose some consistency and become thin.

That isn't from the ricer; it's from what you're adding to it afterward.

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2019 9:40 PM

[quote]When they are done I smash them

MASH.

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2019 9:41 PM

Colcannon looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 23, 2019 10:00 PM

R24 I eat with a fork.

by Anonymousreply 33September 23, 2019 10:02 PM

No-ooooooo! Buttery, yummy, creamy goodness.

by Anonymousreply 34September 23, 2019 10:10 PM

OP is just pissy because he’s been teased all of his life for looking like Mr. Potato Head.

by Anonymousreply 35September 23, 2019 10:17 PM

I don't have them very often, but when I do, I make them like R11's recipe. They're just an occasional indulgence, at this point, since I try to keep my carbohydrate intake down.

by Anonymousreply 36September 23, 2019 10:26 PM

Add a small carton of sour cream and 8 ounces of cream cheese to 5 lbs of mashed potatoes. OMG.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2019 12:28 AM

FATTY McFattersons!!!

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2019 12:44 AM

R38 needs to busy herself emptying a can of tuna on some mesclun mix as her ilk are wont to do.

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2019 12:49 AM

If you grew up Irish these were almost sacrosanct. Now I like them with olive oil and garlic. Or coconut milk and mashed but not too mashed...you do not want to break it down too much. Scallions are nice on top. My family likes mashed along with roasted potatoes and air fried potatoes and maybe baked too. There cannot be enough potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2019 12:54 AM

For something different, Peruvian style mashed potatoes from their country of origin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2019 1:08 AM

Delish with roasted garlic and/or lobster! Piss off, OP! Your baby food is somebody else's comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2019 1:11 AM

White truffle oil, and white pepper are nice too OP. Try to keep an open mind.

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2019 1:15 AM

They aren't bad when you crack an egg into them while mashing them.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2019 1:23 AM

R44 Yolks, yes, as my mum has made them that way, but not the whites.

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2019 1:25 AM

I like them depending on how they're made. Lumpy, dry mashed potatoes are the worst.

I don't understand why they're considered a treat though. I much prefer a hasselback potato gratin for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote] My brother, since he was an infant, won’t eat mashed potatoes. He doesn’t eat anything with that texture, still to this day. Hates it.

Same here. I don’t eat anything with that texture or consistency. I also like bland foods, but mashed potatoes are even too bland for me.

by Anonymousreply 47September 24, 2019 1:40 AM

I use nothing else. Don't forget to form left overs into a party and get with bacon and eggs. Good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 24, 2019 1:45 AM

Mashed potatoes are manna from heaven.

by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2019 1:57 AM

They look like vomit!

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2019 2:16 AM

I liked these rosemary mashed sweet potatoes recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2019 2:36 AM

Are you ready to think you've died and gone to Heaven? Mix some feta cheese into your mashed potatoes. It's better than sex.

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2019 2:49 AM

I love to make a gravy volcano on Thanksgiving, but I certainly don't need to eat them any other time of the year.

by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2019 2:54 AM

Potatoes themselves are healthy. They contain a mostly indigestible starch. If you let them cool and reheat them even more so. You can use vegetable stock with them instead of butter.

by Anonymousreply 54September 24, 2019 2:56 AM

They are mich better than baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 55September 24, 2019 4:43 AM

So this is the thread where all the bears are hanging out. I hope that bear-hating queen from that other thread doesn't find you guys. That bitch is on a rampage!

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2019 5:49 AM

I love mashed potatoes with a meaty stew and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 57September 24, 2019 6:26 AM

I had Shepherd's Pie on Sunday. It was Guinness Irish Stew Topped with Colcannon Mashed Potatoes. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 58September 24, 2019 6:52 AM

R32, colcannon is delicious. You can also mix mashed potatoes with cooked leeks for a similar effect but quite different taste.

I like to use russet (baking) potatoes because they have a good, mealy texture. I think red potatoes, and even yellow potatoes, tend to come out gluey when mashed. (Although they're OK for smashed potatoes, which is an entirely different thing.)

No stock or olive oil or any weird stuff like that for me. I like my mashed potatoes the way my mother used to make them - potatoes, butter, milk, salt ... potatoes need a good dose of salt. I do use some white pepper, but that's enough innovation. Adding cheese sounds like a great idea, but in practice I think it ruins the fluffy texture of good MP.

The biggest mistake people make is not drying the potatoes after they're cooked. They should be returned to the pan over low heat until all water has evaporated and the edges turn white and crumbly.

And yes, R48, make enough to use them for mashed potato cakes the next day. They're even better that way!

by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2019 8:44 AM

R59 Huge yes to the leeks mixed in the mash. I always add a few to my Shepherd's pie topping: the sugars in the leeks really promote and enhance a nice even browning. They give a nice sweetness as well. I throw them in with the potato cooking water, then pulse a few times in the fod processor before folding them in. I always put some in to sautée with the lamb too.

by Anonymousreply 60September 24, 2019 9:19 AM

For our big family Thanksgiving I'm in charge of the mash. 7 lbs. of potatoes, 1 lb. of butter, 3 cups of half and half, 2 cups of grated Parmigiano Reggiano . I use a potato ricer. Makes them fluffier than a mixer or masher. They're decadent but it's the only day of the year that I make them.

by Anonymousreply 61September 24, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote]mashed sweet potatoes

I think the discussion is about real potatoes, not "sickly sweet, brown, sugar-water tubers".

by Anonymousreply 62September 24, 2019 1:34 PM

"brown-sugar-water tubers"

by Anonymousreply 63September 24, 2019 1:35 PM

I could eat my weight in mashed potatoes !

by Anonymousreply 64September 24, 2019 2:02 PM

R29 is my kind of guy.

I walk for an hour a day, I can eat them when I wish.

by Anonymousreply 65September 24, 2019 2:05 PM

Thanksgiving is all about the food. The mashed potatoes must be decadent.

by Anonymousreply 66September 24, 2019 2:07 PM

Oh come on now. Some of you bitches just mix Idaho Spuds with water and call it dinner.

by Anonymousreply 67September 24, 2019 6:13 PM

R61, a ricer does give mashed potatoes a great, fluffy texture. Sometimes, though, I like the flavor you get with a wire masher. The little bits of unmashed potato that inevitably remain give an earthier taste and texture to the dish.

I don't like using a mixer. It's too easy to over-mix and get a gluey texture as a result.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2019 7:17 AM

Does anyone like low-carb cauliflower mashed or whipped "potatoes?"

by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2019 2:28 PM

I don’t like potatoes - baked or mashed - I much prefer rice side dishes. Baked yams are ok, and French Fries are great, but I rarely eat fries because they are so unhealthy. I’m spud-free.

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2019 2:50 PM

I use a traditional masher on my potatoes and there are never any lumps - EVER! I put a head band on to catch the sweat and I go to work!

by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2019 3:31 PM

Oh, fuck NO, r69. That shit is an abomination. Anyone who perpetrates that, or the equally horrid cauliflower pizza crust, should not be allowed to eat anything but for the rest of his or her sorry life. If we got more FFs per day, I'd give you ten.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2019 4:36 PM

KFC's mashed potatoes are unmatched.

by Anonymousreply 73September 25, 2019 4:39 PM

That's a good thing, r73. I ate them once. 50% water.

by Anonymousreply 74September 25, 2019 4:42 PM

KFC mashed potatoes are "unmatched" ..............

Believe me when I tell you that I'm not a fussy eater, but seriously, who would actually want to match those? Even I gotta [italic] Just Say No !

by Anonymousreply 75September 25, 2019 9:11 PM

Now mashed sweet potatoes are vile.

by Anonymousreply 76September 25, 2019 10:24 PM

[quote]Believe me when I tell you that I'm not a fussy eater, but seriously, who would actually want to match those? Even I gotta Just Say No !

I don't eat them because KFC's potato wedges are the best in town, but you have to admit, KFC's mashed are beloved worldwide, just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2019 10:28 PM

KFC mashed are instant from a box (I thought everyone knew)

by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2019 10:50 PM

How come no potatoes in Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2019 11:06 PM

Poor little feller. No french fries within his area. Doesn’t know how to ask for a baked or fried potato...why do they keep feeding me these horrible..white... gooshy mashed potatoes? In his home country, fried potatoes and baled grew on trees. Next to the soda pop sreams, and the lake of alcohol. Ah well, observe the profound struggle of his daily existence—forced to subsist upon GOOSHY MUSHY POTATOES!!!

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2019 1:00 AM

I prefer roasted yukon gold potatoes, crispy around the edges with generous amounts of salt & pepper. Best roasted with rosemary & onion.

But once in a while I'll go for the more labor intensive, less flavorful mashed potato. Must have lots of butter. I'm French.

by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2019 4:08 AM

Oh, besides “baled” (baked) and “sreams” (streams), I want to thank all lovely tater eaters for the great recipe ideas throughout...and excuse my sarcasm in initial comment.

by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2019 4:42 AM

Personally, I prefer Louisiana Popeye's over that Colonel from Kentucky. Popeye is the ultimate Craftsman Of The Deep Fryer. And OMG, those biscuits ......... 💕#Biscuits2Die4!

by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2019 1:00 PM

I use one of those, R48 , in the cooking saucepan but it seems to take ten minutes to mash and I STILL have lumps. I try and disguise the lumps by adding some grated carrot, fine-chopped onion or Chia seeds.

I have never used one of those "ricers" but they seems to be a lot of bother spooning the soft potatoes into it. I prefer less bother.

by Anonymousreply 84September 27, 2019 1:06 AM

You should switch to a ricer, R84. You only have to make 1 "pass" through the potatoes and you are guaranteed a lump free result.

by Anonymousreply 85September 27, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote] Do you eat them with a spoon or a fork [R15] ?

You eat them in a DOG BOWL cuz mashed potatoes are only fit for a dog!

by Anonymousreply 86September 27, 2019 1:13 AM

As a kid, I loved to stir the peas and mashed potatoes together when I ate a Swanson TV dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 27, 2019 1:20 AM

As a kid, I loved to stir the peas and mashed potatoes together when I ate a Swanson TV dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 27, 2019 1:20 AM

As a kid, I hated TV dinners with peas. I much prefered those with corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 27, 2019 1:27 AM

R88, oh my God, I loved those things! But where's the little square with the apple brown betty?

by Anonymousreply 90September 27, 2019 7:25 AM

The turkey and stuffing look better in R88's TV dinner than in r89's. I like both vegetables, with a slight preference for peas, possibly because they are green, and you need a little color on that plate.

by Anonymousreply 91September 27, 2019 12:01 PM

I had mashed potatoes with country fried steak yesterday, both smothered in delicious, fattening white gravy. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 92September 27, 2019 12:46 PM

Back in the sixties, there was a song titled "Mashed Potato Time" sung by Dee Dee Sharp. And, of course, there was a Mashed Potato Dance.

Never underestimate the power and versatility of the potato.

by Anonymousreply 93September 27, 2019 2:11 PM

"Gravy" for r93's mashed potatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2019 2:15 PM

Do it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 28, 2019 10:37 AM

Mama Cass loved mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 96September 28, 2019 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!