Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

William Holden's death

"on November 12, 1981, after lacerating his forehead from slipping on a rug while intoxicated and hitting a bedside table. Evidence suggests he was conscious for at least half an hour after the fall. He likely may not have realized the severity of the injury and did not summon aid, or was unable to call for help. His body was found four days later."

His body was found days later????? Why was nobody checking on him?! Where were his family, friends or even the maids?! It's a sad way to die so alone like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2019 7:58 PM

What do these two have in common?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2019 4:29 PM

Sad, Republican, alcoholic closet case. Close friend of Ronald Reagan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2019 4:33 PM

that broad from hart 2 hart got I think his inheritance, she was his 'girlfriend' at the time they say.....

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2019 4:34 PM

I always admired Stephanie Powers' glorious head of 70s curls when I was a kid. Now I realize it was probably a wig!

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2019 4:38 PM

Are you guys trying to say that Jill St. John killed William Holden for all the money she knew she would inherit?

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2019 4:38 PM

Was he dating Jill St. John at the time of his death?!! I don't know this. I thought Stefanie Powers had just broken up with him at that time, probably trying some tough love.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2019 4:42 PM

Oops!! I meant Stefanie Powers, not Jill St. John (though I mix them up!)

Did *Stefanie Powers* kill William Holden for the money she knew she would inherit?

(Or let him die?)

Where were his kids?

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2019 4:42 PM

I'd have killed... for Stephanie Powers' career!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2019 4:46 PM

And then, the checks stopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2019 4:54 PM

I'm pretty sure I've read that all his money was left to some animal (lion?) sanctuary in Africa.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote]Oops!! I meant Stefanie Powers, not Jill St. John (though I mix them up!)

Don't worry, r7. I always mix those two up with Jill Ireland.

All basically interchangeable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2019 4:58 PM

DEC. 2, 1981

LOS ANGELES -- The late actor William Holden left $250,000 to his actress-girlfriend Stephanie Powers and the bulk of his multimillion dollar estate to his family.

Holden's will, dated April 6, 1979, was filed for probate Wednesday in Superior Court.

The 63-year-old actor bled to death Nov. 16 after slipping on a throw rug in his beachfront apartment and striking his head on a table.

The will ordered that most of his estate be shared among his family. The actor is survived by his mother, Mary Beedle; sister Audria; two sons, Scott Porter and Peter Westfield; and his former wife, Ardis Holden.

Also named in the will were Virginia Baylor, Ardis Holden's daughter by a previous marriage, and his niece, Leslie Kim Hennessy.

Holden left his gun collection to his two sons and all other art and collections to the Desert Museum of Palm Springs. All proceeds from his movie 'Bridge on the River Kwai' go to the Motion Picture and Television Relief Fund.

The will also bequeathed $50,000 to ex-girlfriend Capucine Lefebre, the Swiss-born actress, and the same amount to another friend, Patricia Stauffer.

Holden, who frequently traveled to Africa where he was active in conservation efforts, willed property in Africa to a wildlife preservation charity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2019 5:00 PM

OP, this is what happens to old alcoholics who cannot control their drinking. No one wants to be around them while they are in an alcohol-induced stupor.

Why would anyone be there to watch his demise?

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2019 5:05 PM

Oh, my. A closeted pro-war, pro-gun Reagan Republican who liked big-game hunting in Africa with his collection of guns but who willed his money to conservation efforts.

No wonder this sad bitch drank himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]LOS ANGELES -- The late actor William Holden left $250,000 to his actress-girlfriend Stephanie Powers ... The will also bequeathed $50,000 to ex-girlfriend Capucine Lefebre

That bitch had a hit TV show, while I was turning into a cat lady.

Thanks, Bill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2019 5:09 PM

R13 Where were the housekeeper or the maids?!!

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2019 5:14 PM

Poor Capucine did not age well. All that smoking and dieting, perhaps?

She was a looker in her youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2019 5:17 PM

Barbara Stanwyck tells Capucine William Holden will never marry her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 23, 2019 2:31 PM

No closet case. One of three exclusively straight A list actors in early 50's Hollywood. And the affair with the first lady.

by Anonymousreply 19September 23, 2019 2:55 PM

To answer r1 MURDER

by Anonymousreply 20September 23, 2019 2:59 PM

William was SO gorgeous!

Uncut sizemeat?

Nude photos?

by Anonymousreply 21September 23, 2019 3:03 PM

R19 who were the other two?

by Anonymousreply 22September 23, 2019 3:06 PM

I will never be able to tell Jill st John and Stefanie Powers apart. And I always got confused with William Holden, Robert Wagner and who was married to whom. That whole group of late 70s/early 80s ex-stars all got mixed up in my 10 year old head.

by Anonymousreply 23September 23, 2019 3:07 PM

Clues, r19. One was a singer and should be obvious. The other started off in dramatic roles and wound up a cowboy. He sat in the center on Hollywood Squares for a while and Kaye Ballard jumped in his lap. Probably the most tragic downfall of anybody in show business.

by Anonymousreply 24September 23, 2019 3:18 PM

Alcoholism OP- his end is not an uncommon incident. I have lost 1 cousin and at least one friend in the same way. One fell in the bathroom and one feel on a glass, passed out and bled to death. Both active alcoholics. By cousin's father (my uncle) died the same way.

by Anonymousreply 25September 23, 2019 4:11 PM

Paul Lynde was a center square, R24. Can you give better or more accurate clues?

by Anonymousreply 26September 23, 2019 6:28 PM

[quote] Where were the housekeeper or the maids?!!

He lived in an apartment and it's unlikely he had live-in help or even a housekeeper who came in during the day. A once a week cleaner is probably all he employed.

by Anonymousreply 27September 23, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote] Uncut sizemeat?

Uncut, yes.

by Anonymousreply 28September 23, 2019 6:48 PM

He was a part owner of the building, which is in one of the most desirable parts of the USA, if not the world.....Ocean Ave in Santa Monica

by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2019 7:41 PM

My aunt knew William Holden in the 1960s. That's why I have been curious about him and the sad way he died.

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2019 7:56 PM

How is it possible to bleed to death from a forehead cut? Was he hemophilic? Is there a doctor in the house?

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2019 8:15 PM

I have an alcoholic relative who died the same way. The gas meter man spotted him through the window, laying on the floor. He'd been dead for days.

OP clearly doesn't have any disagreeable alcoholics in his life, nor can he fathom anyone being alone for any length of time.

by Anonymousreply 32September 23, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]How is it possible to bleed to death from a forehead cut?

A CPA here in. my. town died like that last month. He was a complete alcoholic who lad lost his driver's license, so he was walking from his early evening bar to his late evening bar. He cut across a construction site, tripped on a piece of concrete, felt the cut on his head, sat down on the concrete to deal with it, and at some point passed out and bled to death. They didn't find him until the next morning even though he was maybe 20 feet from a busy road and in plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 33September 23, 2019 8:31 PM

My aunt said that William used to have a loyal protective housekeeper, and he had a good social network around him (but that was in the 1960s). That's why I'm surprised that he would be so alone that no one would find out about his death until 4 days later?!

by Anonymousreply 34September 23, 2019 8:37 PM

One of the handsomest men in Hollywood .

by Anonymousreply 35September 23, 2019 8:53 PM

Powers said she left him out of tough love.

She said she regretted it. But really how do you live with or have a relationship with someone like that? Don't they really on some level want to die?

I worked with a straight guy years ago who when we were talking about Kwai claimed his uncle knew Holden. This uncle had a certain amount of fame in the NY police department as a narcotics officer and was mentioned but not by name in the book Prince of the City. This guy showed me the passage.(I found this uncle's obituary on line years later and they were indeed related.) This uncle said Holden was gay. I was totally WTF! as I had never heard anything like that. It was very strange to me because we talked a lot as we were doing tedious stockroom work and it was very unlike him to say something about someone's sexuality. So it made me wonder if it was really true because I would have never thought it in a million years nor did I ever hear any kind of gossip or speculation.

by Anonymousreply 36September 23, 2019 9:02 PM

R19 ,if they're straight why the fuck don't you name them? I never knew there was a stigma attached to being heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2019 12:17 AM

Sinatra is one as the 'singer.' But who's the cowboy who had the horrible end and ended up the center square on Hollywood Squares? But as said above Paul Lynde never did westerns.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2019 12:45 AM

OP, I'm embarrassed to tell you this. But I had a fall in my home, and was stuck on the floor for 4 days. My boss called my sister, who called my brother, who eventually saved my life. But my arm was broken, and I couldn't get up. And, of course, I shit and pissed myself. Older people like me fall down, and hurt themselves. And most of us don't have people checking on us every day. It really isn't rare. I was just surprised that a little circle of people were able to save my life. I've taken a lot of extra precautions, since then, to try to protect my safety. But I didn't know I was a feeble old man until.......I was!

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2019 12:59 AM

I think because Holden was so famous and so involved with many people not only his lovers, family, people in show business and the wildlife conservation movement that it seems odd that a person would be missing for 4 days and nobody noticing. But then maybe everyone felt he was off with somebody else and not being able to contact him was not unusual.

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2019 1:05 AM

His house is right down the street from me in Palm Springs. It is one of the best mid-century homes in PS.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2019 1:42 AM

Yes, Sinatra was the singer. The Hollywood Squarie whose lap held Kaye Ballard was Glenn Ford. I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed for a performer in my life. Obviously I like to ask trivia questions.

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2019 1:56 AM

I had no idea Glenn Ford was on Hollywood Squares! That would be like Henry Fonda or Burt Lancaster on it. I thought through starring roles and investments he had become very wealthy. His son's book was not very flattering and pretty much said he was a self absorbed actor and womanizer who had little contact with him and he was raised solely by his mother Eleanor Powell. In Alex Guiness's biography it said Sir Alec had become obsessed with Glenn and Ford had to stay clear.

The son only reconciled with his father at the end because he was an old man who had no one else to take care of him and the young fillies he was chasing had taking advantage of him. Well he was very cute when he was young and not a bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2019 8:54 AM

[quote]Paul Lynde was a center square, [R24]. Can you give better or more accurate clues?

My grandfather was also the center square. Him?

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2019 9:47 AM

I tripped and hit my head on the bathroom wall and cut my forehead. I tripped because I was dizzy with the flu and not an alcoholic. I didn't pass out but did lie on the floor for a while to recover. I imagine if I had passed out no one would have been looking for me as I lived alone. My eyesight has never been as good since the head collision so I think there was some permanent damage.

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2019 9:49 AM

My mother fell and died (it was a heart attack) outside her home. She was extremely social, but everyone assumed she was busy with someone else when they didn’t see her. One of her church friends sent a guy to plow her driveway and he was the one who found her (at least it was winter). It was painful to listen to her answering machine (she didn’t have a cellphone or voicemail) and all the people calling to say hi and invite her to social events. Only one person sounded worried about not being able to reach her.

by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2019 10:16 AM

Glenn Ford is barely remembered today, so I would not label his so-called downfall as Hollywood's saddest story.

by Anonymousreply 47September 24, 2019 10:35 AM

steph seemed like the kind of dyke who would do anything to get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 48September 24, 2019 11:35 AM
by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2019 1:28 PM

R48=Jill St. John

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2019 2:22 PM

Suzanne Vega mentioned his death (obliquely) in 'Tom's Diner'. It's very sad to be remembered in that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2019 2:42 PM

He had a long career, considering he was only 63 when he died. He must have been 18 when he made "Golden Boy". He looks at least 75 in his last movie, "S.O.B."--all that booze.

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2019 3:17 PM

And it's pretty well documented that he had an affair with Jackie Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2019 3:40 PM

"Suzanne Vega mentioned his death (obliquely) in 'Tom's Diner'. It's very sad to be remembered in that way."

If William Holden was "no one I had heard of" then Suzanne Vega must be culturally illiterate (she's also a pretentious cunt, but that's another story). His career lasted decades and he was in some of the most iconic, classic movies of all time: "Sunset Boulevard", "Stalag 17", "Sabrina", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "Sabrina", "Picnic", "The Wild Bunch", "Network." Not to mention he was the guest star in one of the most memorable episodes of "I Love Lucy." He also provided one of the best moments in the history of the Academy Awards when he made an impromptu tribute to Barbara Stanwyck who was presenting an award with him. He was a great Hollywood star. By the way Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" is an annoying piece of shit. But " dit dit duh duh, dit dit duh duh, dit dit duh duh dit duh duh duh" was probably her finest hour.

by Anonymousreply 54September 24, 2019 8:57 PM

But she's 60. How is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 55September 24, 2019 9:01 PM

Suzanne Vega was the pre cursor to Zooey Deschanel types, who reached their peak in the late 200Os. Adult women vocalists who insist on dressing, singing and speaking like small children.

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2019 9:40 PM

aint gold digger steph powers the one who got his $$$ ?

jill st john was robt wagners beard, powers was the one for old queen holden.

by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2019 2:04 AM

Jill St. John was Sidney Korshak's mistress - Korshak was a Hollywood fixer linked to the Chicago mob, and, FWIW, he is reputedly the person who originated the terms A-list, B-list, etc. Those had to do with party invitations to Hollywood types.

by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2019 5:43 AM

According to her autobiography, Shelley Winters and Bill Holden would hook up one night a year and this continued for many years.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2019 5:56 AM

Natalie Wood died 17 days after William Holden.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2019 6:04 AM

He left a great legacy in the William Holden Wildlife Foundation which runs a wildlife conservancy from Nanyuki, Kenya near Mt Kenya. Apparently Republicans weren't anti-environment back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2019 6:31 AM

step powers has her fingers in that fund I bet....

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2019 3:11 PM

[quote] r46 My mother fell and died (it was a heart attack) outside her home.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that : (

A fall can also be deadly on it's own. The person may not be found for a while, and catch pneumonia. Or they get a concussion, and/or bleed out. Or the impact creates a blot clot that travels to the brain and kills them in seconds.

My mom's started tripping but refuses to move in with others. I've been simplifying the arrangement of her furniture, eliminating throw rugs etc. These are the things I explain when she gets persnickety about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2019 10:12 PM

^^ be that as it may...there's simply nothing funnier (or more life affirming) than watching models trip and fall on runways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2019 10:24 PM

Interesting obituary for one of his sons, West Holden, a stage actor before poor health forced him to retire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2019 7:32 PM

I still think bi Powers and bi Wagner were fucking at one point. Jill and Srephanie have that hot Jewish girl look RJ seems to likre. After Natalie died or was let to die, he couldn't go to Powers so he chose Jill instead.

by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2019 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!