Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The UES in NY is a conservative enclave?

Is that true, New Yorkers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215November 19, 2019 11:20 PM

I love her!

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2019 3:30 PM

I know where I'm moving too!

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2019 3:37 PM

I know where I'm moving too!

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2019 3:49 PM

Wait! What does our YourMillenialCunt have to say???

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2019 3:52 PM

It’s all relative - but there are some super rich clueless old people up there. But in reality, Staten Island is more Republican. UES is old Republican - Staten Island is new Republican.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2019 3:52 PM

No, I'm quite Liberal, OP. Why, just the other day, when my friend asked if his evening robe made him look fat, I lied and said he looked exactly like Tobias Sorensen! I trashed him to our mutual friends later, of course, but he doesn't know that!

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2019 3:54 PM

Why doesn't she just move to Staten Island if she hates liberals so much?

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2019 3:55 PM

I grew up in NYC, but live on the west coast now. The UES is very, very wealthy and very old money. I can see a lot of fiscal conservatives living there. Staten Island, as someone alluded to earlier, is probably populated by more social conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2019 4:04 PM

Park Avenue is old money. Fifth is more new.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2019 4:07 PM

My mother lives there. She's a liberal who is also a register Republican. If she saw Ann Coulter on the street she wouldn't know who she is. (never watched Fox).

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2019 4:26 PM

Abundant hay and grass for grazing.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2019 4:27 PM

R10 How is your mother a liberal and a registered Republican? Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2019 4:51 PM

Oh I've met those types r12

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2019 4:53 PM

No, it’s not really true. Like everything else that comes out of Ann Coulter’s mouth, this statement is pretty much horse shit.

Type in zip code 10021 in this interactive map and you will see that the Upper East Side was totally blue for the 2016 election, just like the rest of Manhattan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]Why doesn't she just move to Staten Island if she hates liberals so much?

Notice how all of these hateful parasites who poison the minds of flyover/south with their racism and bigotry, want no part of living among them? NewsCorp has no business broadcasting FOX News out of NYC. Go set up shop in Nebraska. Put your money where your mouth is. NYC is a diverse city whether people like it or not and I don't want to hear from complete imbeciles who don't even live here pretending they know anything about the situation in NYC. If you believe it's "crumbling," then you are in fact a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2019 5:05 PM

I just looked at R14's link, and put in my zip code. 99% for Clinton. But, because I live in Ohio, I'm always told I'm a flyover deplorable. Anyone for Olive Garden? Anyone???

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2019 5:11 PM

R16 if you live downtown or in a “cool” neighborhood on the edge of any downtown area, chances are it’s populated primarily with Democrat or very centrist independent voters. This will almost always be the case no matter what state you live in.

The problem is that in what DL loves to deride as flyoverstan, you are vastly outnumbered by deplorable voters in the sprawling suburbs and rural hinterlands. So you become engulfed in a deplorable red tide.

Hopefully people like yourself will eventually form a large enough population to turn some of these states purple and blue.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2019 5:22 PM

Ann likes it because the homeless people she feasts on there are especially succulent and meaty.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2019 5:43 PM

R16, understand that New Yorkers are allowed to be judgmental and classify anyone they want as anything they want. It's because they were born superior and you weren't.

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2019 5:51 PM

She constantly talks her bullshit so she can keep paying her multi-million dollar mortgage on the UES.

Stupid deplorables but her shit

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2019 6:21 PM

Nobody ever called a Democrat voter a deplorable, no matter where they live. R16 is either a troll or a moron, or perhaps both.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2019 6:26 PM

R21, DLers constantly classify all residents of "red states" deplorables. You're the moron.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2019 6:30 PM

Wrong ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2019 6:37 PM

Love that folks think the UES is old money! Almost all money in NYC is new money. Park and 5th Aves are traditionally posh addresses- but most wealth on the UES is recently accumulated. There are also buildings on the UWS that are equivalent to traditionally posh East Side addresses- and midtown between 50th and 57th East of 1st Ave (Sutton and Beekman Places. Also most recently made wealth primarily. The downtown condo world in big new money and international as are the towers going up just south of Central Park South.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2019 6:55 PM

Ann primarily likes the UES because it is almost exclusively white. The fact that it is a wealthy area is secondary, if it were a conservative wealthy black area she wouldn't be caught dead there.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2019 6:58 PM

I used to live in NYC, on the UWS. I think the various areas of NYC were more homogenous back in the day when there were more apartments to be had, and where you lived was more a question of preference than of where can I find a damned place I can afford. People live in NYC where they can, not necessarily where they want to, so the old stereotypes no longer hold true. That said, the UES is or was thought of as an old money women who lunch -- and their bratty preppy offspring -- kind of area. It really is no longer the case, though, but old stereotypes die hard.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2019 7:03 PM

My money wasn't new! I didn't fucking have any!

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2019 10:45 PM

~90% of my upper east side voting district voted for Obama in 2012. Hillary votes significantly outnumbered Trump in 2016. This is a VERY blue district.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2019 11:00 PM

There used to be a type of liberal New York Republican which was stereotypical of the UES. John Lindsey was the paradigm. Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javits. Liza ( yes Liza was an UES Republican when she lived there.) They are greatly reduced in number now.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2019 11:11 PM

Doesn't Ann live up the street from Joe Jervis of JoeMyGod fame? East 78th, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2019 12:15 AM

The Upper East Side is reliably Democratic, but there is more tolerance for Republicans. That’s largely because of wealth, society circles, prep schools, etc. There is more coexistence because the privileged experiences demand it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2019 2:45 AM

Spike Lee lives in this hood, that should tell you something. I just saw him last week and has seen his wife out and about a lot.

by Anonymousreply 32September 23, 2019 2:49 AM

You mean that one lady who can't get three words our on DL without tangentially mentioning she lives in the UES hasn't posted here yet? The one with the irrational hatred of Suri Cruise wearing hair bows on the UES and who is proud of UES school lunches. Etc.

How would I know the UES bitch's post when I see it, you ask? To riff on the old doctor wife joke, 'don't worry, she'll tell you.'

by Anonymousreply 33September 23, 2019 2:55 AM

*out

by Anonymousreply 34September 23, 2019 2:55 AM

Upper East Siders are mostly Democrats, but they do hate De Blasio. From the jump, De Blasio started painting rich people as the enemy. Upper East Siders are largely Democrats, but many are also quite wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 35September 23, 2019 4:12 PM

De Blasio isn't hated because of that, he's hated because he's a grifter. He did do some good stuff in New York.

It's also interesting that he announced he was dropping out on Morning Joe, Republican talk show.

by Anonymousreply 36September 23, 2019 4:15 PM

Grew up on Long Island and jumped on the train to "the city" as often as I could then I moved there. I can't explain it but the UES always gave me the creeps, day or night. I was never comfortable there. I had zero desire to be there. I even helped a friend move there and I never visited him after that. I lived on the upper west side and downtown in NoHo but would never live there, and as I say I could never explain it.

by Anonymousreply 37September 23, 2019 4:22 PM

I think, and I have always thought, that the UES is boring- aside from the Frick and 5th Ave, the Met and Central Park. Way up on Gracie Square and over the river is nice- but remote.

by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2019 4:34 PM

I know socially liberal Republicans, though they're rather a dying breed.

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2019 4:34 PM

It's so funny the way these professional Republican grifters (Ann, the Cockgobbler) love to live the life that urban liberalism provides while making money by shitting on it. It's so funny that they never actually choose to live in a place where their theoretically preferred policies (low taxes, union-busting, bad schools) is played out. Like they never live in Tallahassee or Oklahoma City.

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2019 4:51 PM

I hear Ann loves France the most!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2019 5:05 PM

In zip code 10065, the heart of the UES, Hillary trounced trump by 58 points.

undoubtedly there are troglodytes and greedy kleptocrats on the UES, but it is far from a conservative bastion

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2019 6:01 PM

The UES is not arch conservative, but it is money-conservative. It's politics are fickle as a result. Remember when the UES was so upset that the populist SJW type mayor Bill De Blasio supposedly ordered that the UES not get snow plowed?

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2019 6:06 PM

Her pussy must stink to high heaven (or hell, in her case)

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2019 6:23 PM

Why would that commie DeBlasio not order the snowplowing of the UES? Is it his lead up to carting them all off to gulags or shooting them in the back of their heads.

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2019 12:24 AM

Well much would depend upon what area of "UES" query is speaking about.

You have the rich heartland of old WASP (and now mostly Jewish) money such as Sutton Place, Beekman Place, Lenox Hill, Carnegie Hill... Then you have Yorkville which is basically everything east of Lexington (or Third) avenue until reaching East End.

Generally UES as a whole trends socially democratic/liberal but conservative in other areas. Barack Obama was on the UES all the time during both of his WH runs attending fundraisers at our very best homes. You also see tons of "Obama/Biden" bumper stickers, signs in shop or apartment/home windows.

While things have slowly begun to thaw, those white glove co-ops and apartment buildings west of Lexington remain largely all white, period end of story. Indeed that entire area from roughly low 60's going up Park to 96th is mostly white bread. Things are as they have been for ages; only people of color you see over there are building staff (and not always then, as there is heavy Eastern European presence), and or the various domestic staff and others that provide services.

Unlike UWS from say CPW to Amsterdam Avenue you just don't see much inclusion on UES from Fifth to Park or Lexington, again at least in terms of housing or whatever. Case in point there are tons of NYCHA projects, supportive housing, low income housing on blocks just off CPW to Columbus Avenue; there is *NONE* of that on Fifth to Lexington on UES until you get north of 96th street.

Yorkville is another matter; that once working to middle class area remained largely unchanged until recently with opening of Second Avenue Subway. People/families that cannot afford UES west of Lexington are moving into Yorkville and bringing with them a sort of attitude that is far from "inclusive" and rather conservative.

The old guard has made soft noises about changes to Lenox Hill hospital also.

Once the local hospital of "wealthy UES", it was near bankruptcy and closing before North Shore - Long Island Jewish (now Northwell) bought the place and began pouring money into it. Now patients of all sorts come to Lenox Hill as Northwell has a large healthcare network. They own/run that urgent care facility which replaced part of shuttered Saint Vincent's hospital campus in GV. If you need to be admitted and it isn't urgent enough to warrant transfer to local downtown hospital, you are held and later on transferred up to Lenox Hill.

Those that live along Lexington and Park avenues/area near LH have noticed a "change", and some aren't having it. LH is also now a bit more inclusive and democratic in their staffing, which as prompted some well heeled patients to seek the safety of other local hospitals with their expanse of private suites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2019 11:28 PM

More on Yorkville/UES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2019 11:29 PM

Back in the 1990's area around Second Avenue from roughly 60's through high 80's was ground zero for trannie hookers.

That has long gone, and this is new face of Yorkville.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]Why would that commie DeBlasio not order the snowplowing of the UES? Is it his lead up to carting them all off to gulags or shooting them in the back of their heads.

Hey, moron who knows nothing about NYC and probably just some shithead in flyover, got news for you: Bloomberg got the same reaction when entire boroughs were left buried in the worst snowstorm in years. People couldn't get to work for days. He took so much shit that the following year, the shovels were scraping the street the minute a flake fell because he was aware of the reaction he had gotten the previous year. You're a fucking idiot for the "commie" comment.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2019 11:38 PM

Fiscally conservative because they’re rich. Socially liberal because they’re highly educated and live in NYC

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2019 12:09 AM

Always has been. In the 60s/70s, it was the "Stew Zoo", where all the flight attendants (then called Stewardesses) were domiciled. So it was really conservative, really boozy and really skanky..... The West Side had/has the liberals and progressives.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2019 12:33 AM

R50

Socially liberal yes, but things only go but so far.

Case in point an black girl used to work with lives in Yorkville, one day walking westwards along 81st street towards the MET she encountered a tall young white gay guy walking his dog. Now she had seen the guy before in her travels to and from Fifth Avenue, but this time she had lingered to look at the beautiful townhouses which line block.

Long story short the dog came up to her wanting to be petted and so she did; owner asked if she lived in one of the townhouses, to which she replied "no", the he shot out " well you're *BLACK* so you wouldn't.

The girl said nothing, bid the man goodbye and went about her business. Several weeks later when I ran into her and asked how things were going with life in general somehow the entire story came out. You could see that she was very hurt by the remark and wondered how someone from supposedly a minority group could say such a thing to another.

But there you have it; there are plenty more gays like that idiot on UES who have same views as their straight family, and peers. They are liberal on certain issues in theory, but again there are limits and people have to know (or should) their place.

Several churches/houses of worship on UES (again the rich heartland west of Lexington avenue) run soup kitchens and other services for the homeless, and it drives inhabitants of surrounding white glove co-ops, mansions and town houses up the wall. They resent those places from bringing a certain element into their street, more so since these churches/houses of worship allow homeless to camp out on their steps/property overnight.

Yes, they love the Obamas and their story, but Barack and or Michelle are probably one of the few AA persons to enter certain homes/buildings via the front door, and or weren't staff.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2019 12:33 AM

There is a joke in Seattle that a "multicultural experience" involves saying hello to the Korean professor in the unit next door as you pick up your newspapers from the door mats in the morning.

(I love "those" people ... just not near me)

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2019 12:41 AM

While in no danger of being had for pennies; never the less those old money/world white glove buildings on UES, Sutton and Beekman places have lost some of their luster.

People are tired of intrusive board process, tired of quite frankly often racist and elitist polices of same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2019 12:51 AM

Case in point is one of our very best buildings; River House on Sutton Place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote]Back in the 1990's area around Second Avenue from roughly 60's through high 80's was ground zero for trannie hookers.

I lived in Yorkville in the 1990s and I never saw any tranny hookers on 2nd Ave. Back then it was mostly young professionals and old-timers.

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2019 12:57 AM

r54 they also want to live in a modern building with all the modern conveniences. More bathrooms, a fitness center (a must these days) and other things the old buildings just don't have.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2019 12:58 AM

Among other recent events River House made the news for famously refusing French ambassador to United States.

"A wealthy New York socialite has led a revolt against the purchase of a luxury apartment by the French ambassador to the United Nations over fears his soirees would prove a nuisance. The French government had sought to buy the $7.8 million (£4.6 million), 14-room residence in River House, an Art-Deco tower overlooking Manhattan’s East River, for new ambassador, Francois Delattre."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2019 12:58 AM

It as as others have said: UES once had lots of Javits-style Republicans (socially liberal, fiscally conservative for their day, but far from conservative by today's standards.) This was not limited to NYC--the entire northeast had GOP politicians who were driven out post-Reagan. Remember there was a time when the GOP was the party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt and the Democrats were the Southern white supremacist party. Things change slowly.

But now it's the same lawyers and tech bros and I-Bankers as every other affluent district. Prices are actually lower east of Lexington and while most of the buildings are charmless, you get more space for your money. But they're mostly all liberal Democrats and the differences between UWS and UES are pretty much fading, especially with people under 50.

Even the ethnic thing: my mother grew up in a building on Park that was a "Jewish" building and my grandparents traveled in that circle, their kids don't. My school was on the UES, it was pretty mixed in terms of ethnicity and religion and no one was all the conscious of it beyond who was having a bar/bat mitzvah and who wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote]This was not limited to NYC--the entire northeast had GOP politicians who were driven out post-Reagan.

They were called "Rockefeller Republicans." And they were not at all like what the Republican party became with Reagan, and continues to be.

My grandparents were the old-school kind of Republicans and were still alive during the Reagan years. They despised the religious right/Moral Majority types who came to symbolize the Republicans. They thought it was all very backward and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2019 1:20 AM

Also had to laugh at Coulter's line "“Liberals on the Upper East Side paid $7 million for their apartments, they care what kind of world they live in. They are not lunatic antifa living with their mothers,”

Liberals on the UWS, the Village, Tribeca, Grammercy and parts of Brooklyn paid just as much if not more.

She probably feels safer because UES is not really a destination neighborhood, e.g., people rarely go out there unless they live there, and so the odds of her running into an angry pack of NYU (Village) or Columbia (UWS) students is much lower.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2019 1:20 AM

YMF just curious, what kind of building do you live in?

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote] what kind of building

Help me out here--what specifically are you asking about?

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2019 1:24 AM

For those who didn't know; Tribeca (zip code 10007 ) is the wealthiest area of Manhattan. In fact money has been moving down to Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village, Soho, Flatiron/Madison Square Park, Financial District, Gramercy Park, etc... since before 9/11/01. That event put a temporary halt to things, but wasn't long before it picked up again. Increasingly now money is going (gasp) over to East Village and Lower East Side.

If it isn't row houses or former mansions, it is all those new condos or old pre-war co-ops. People like Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and others who could buy not just a white glove UES co-op but probably entire building and still have change, didn't even bother.

The Rudin family scored big and made out well by nabbing Saint Vincent's hospital campus, now called Greenwich Lane co-ops. The former Cabrini hospital across town is now also luxury condos.

Part of this was a whole "FU" to the whole white glove building co-op process. Other thing is as mentioned above, young people buying/renting today aren't always same as their parents, or grandparents, even if they have a name and money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2019 1:31 AM

R64 is correct and to explain the co-op thing further-- co-op boards have final approval over who does or does not get into the building. A willing buyer and seller is just the first step.

Most co-op boards demand to see all sorts of financial information before they okay a buyer. For someone like me, that's not all that invasive though it was, TBH, a massive hassle and fairly invasive.

But imagine if you're someone whose income is hidden inside trusts and shell corporations and the like. Would you want someone going over your finances with a fine-toothed comb, asking all sorts of personal questions. Add on that many top co-ops look down on financing (mortgages) and want the whole thing or more than 50% of it paid up front, and even after all that will turn the person down because they decide they are not the right "fit."

Co-ops also frown on people for whom the co-op will not be a primary residence and will reject them for that reason alone

All of which is why the new condos R64 mentions became so popular.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2019 1:40 AM

Reagan and republican party then and now largely only tolerated the MM because of votes they brought. Leaders and or members of MM long have admitted this in interviews. GWB I and II were of some use to them, Obama totally ignored the MM, but they've now latched onto DT as their savior.

In doing so the MM has revealed themselves for the hypocrites many long believed them to be; sadly getting behind DT and all he stands for has driven many if not a majority of moderate republicans out of the party.

For some strange reason the cosmos threw MM a hail Mary and DT became POTUS. MM wants or believes another four years of DT and much of their aims will be accomplished, well enough that won't easily be undone by successive POTUS democrat or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2019 1:41 AM

MM?

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2019 1:43 AM

Our very best co-ops on UES, Sutton and Beekman place (among a few others) are mostly all cash buildings, period. No financing of any sort allowed.

For equity guys they don't see any reason to tie up their money in a asset that could be earning greater returns elsewhere.

Also the board process for these buildings is only slightly less intrusive than a colonoscopy. They want to know everything about yourself, your spouse, your (minor) children, pets, etc... Who are you? What is that name? Where does your money come from? How much of it do you have? Is that in land, investments or cash? Where did you (and your spouse) go to school? College? Post graduate? Who are your friends? What civic associations and or professional groups do you belong? Have you (and or your spouse/member of family) ever been involved in any legal proceedings (civil or criminal)? What do you do for a living? What does your spouse/partner do for a living? Your spouse/partner is a bit "dark" is she/he black? (well they don't exactly ask this, but it often is inferred).

And so it goes.... In New York while co-ops obviously are covered by federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, good luck with that. Unlike private home sales or condos a co-op board is not legally required to disclose reason why you were blackballed (turned down). Nor does the applicant have any rights to see internal minutes of meetings or whatever were application was discussed.

More to the point even if a seller wants a deal to happen, the board simply can say "no" and that will be that. Yes, those turned down can sue, but unless they have something more concrete than whispers, things won't go far. No one inside the building who values a good relationship with the board and other shareholders is going to speak on record. Those who are mighty sure of themselves and position *may*, but it is a huge gamble.

During past fiscal/economic crisis more than a few co-ops in vetoed sales board thought were too cheap, regardless of financial hardship caused to current shareholder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2019 1:56 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2019 1:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]Help me out here--what specifically are you asking about?

Pre-war, doorman, etc?

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2019 2:03 AM

Prewar.

Doorman was part-time when I bought it but as neighborhood got more gentrified and prices went up, that got turned into a full-time gig with corresponding increase in maintenance.

It was quite the battle--there are a number of seniors in the building and while they mostly retired shrinks, professors, lawyers, doctors, etc., many of them have been living off their retirement money for the past 20 or even 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2019 2:37 AM

That happens, YMF. A friend lived in a building like that and it was a battle royal with the older retired residents. Perfectly understandable to see where they were coming from. NYC changes so fast, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2019 2:48 AM

Those battles are coming more often, and becoming more bitter.

Boards look around and see they are being out classed and gunned by all the new construction, and only way to compete really is to up ante on amenities. Redo lobby and or other common areas, add a gym, play room, and so forth. You also have buildings that have long put off facade redoing, major upgrades to plumbing/electrical work (to bring things from 1930's or 1950's remotely up to 21st century standards)....

Problem is all these things cost money, and that must come from either reserves and or increasing maintenance. Regardless of that old adage about needing to spend money to make money, not all shareholders see things in same light. More those who aren't planning on selling, and are living on retirement funds longer than they thought would/planned.

You have these board meetings where people are almost at each other's throats. On one side those who keep track of (almost on a daily basis) values of their shares (the apartment), versus those who don't see need for spending money just because every new building has this or that. Again they aren't moving out except feet first in a box, so it really doesn't rate.

To some extent one cannot fault those in latter camp. No longer actively employed unless that changes all they have is income from savings, investments and perhaps SS. There might be an annuity or trusts, but that isn't universal. They don't want to sell and leave city, and that is what they would have to do because unless they can find something for same or less than sale price (not always a given), it means moving often moving out of area all together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2019 3:08 AM

UES for Life

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2019 4:24 AM

UES is boring af. The whole area shuts down at 9.

Love the UWS and the lower part of Manhattan as someone mentioned upthread. Soho, Tribeca, all the fun is down there.

Ann Coulter’s neighbors must love her living there. Didn’t she say once that nobody in her building speaks to her?

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2019 4:27 AM

R8 There’s no such thing as a fiscal conservative. All they do is tax, spend, and drive the debt into the ceiling and leave us with an eventual recession.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2019 4:41 AM

What's up with the Mann Coulter threads all of a sudden? Does it have a new book coming out? Sick of seeing her long hair, long face, long neck, etc...

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2019 4:52 AM

R76

Yes dear, but it has always been that way.

Again true UES (west of Lexington) is zoned/designed or whatever to be largely residential. You have some shopping along Madison along with restaurants/bars (and along side streets), but for generations Lexington and east to Third, Second and even First is where you went for "fun", shopping, park your car, etc....

That bastion of WASP burghers and fries, J.G. Melon on Third is still around (more khakis and blue blazers than you can shake a stick at), La Refuge is gone (one of Jackie O's fav spots), but there are a few more spots still around. No, not all are "gay" per se; but most take people as they find them. Then again many of the gays who frequent these places have been doing so since they were kids, and or otherwise fit in; think an older Van Johnson with blue blazer, khakis and loafers.....

Am told by old timers Third avenue once had more than a few gay bars back in the day. Today there is just Brandywine and the Pool Hall. Someone opened a gay sports bar that din't last a year.....

In terms of bars Third, Second and First in Yorkville have always had more action, and that is largely still true. Gays on UES either went down to Townhouse or some of the other bars in east 50's. That or across the park to "gay UWS" where there once were tons of places.

Personally have always liked leaving the noise of bars/clubs in Chelsea, West Village and returning home to peace and quiet of UES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2019 5:01 AM

I thought these days, her kind was only allowed in CP, carrying tourists.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2019 6:15 AM

UES is boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2019 8:20 AM

^Yes, it is. Had a job there for five years and even the options for food were pretty limited.

by Anonymousreply 82October 21, 2019 7:39 PM

I lived on the UES for years and I loved it. It was a low-key, quiet (for NYC) little oasis.

by Anonymousreply 83October 21, 2019 7:44 PM

Democratic candidates always win in Manhattan by double digits, but more than usual in 2016 because TRUMP was on the other ticket. NYC has known Donald for decades longer than the rest of the country, and they LOATHE him.

by Anonymousreply 84October 21, 2019 11:11 PM

^Non-NYers get offended when I point that out. The fact is that Trump exposed the middle/southern part of the country for what we knew most of them always were. Racists and bigots.

They had other GOP candidates from which to choose, yet they gravitated to every fucking bad stereotype of a NYer because he also happened to be a hateful racist and bigot. The things about NYers they always say they hate: Arrogant, elitist, look down on the rest of the country...well, they fell in love with all of that in the most concentrated form: A 70yo, born-on-third, shady, limo-riding, golden-tower-living, vile pos. All because he made white trash who Trump wouldn't be caught dead being near, feel superior to their fellow human beings.

The guy could not be LESS patriotic in the way he has lived his life.

by Anonymousreply 85October 22, 2019 2:25 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2019 2:32 AM

The people who like someone like Trump expose their own inferiority and insecurities because if he is your model for greatness, then it shows just how weak and loathsome you truly are as a person, and of incredibly low moral character...especially the religious hypocrites who show that to their very souls, lies a desire to be a lecherous, immoral heathen.

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2019 2:38 AM

Hate that hideous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2019 2:47 AM

People outside of New York have this weird notion that DT and that hideous family of his are somehow part of society, not a chance.

DT is exactly what one sees; a vulgar, common product of NYC middle class (like Rudy Giuliani) who has happened to make a bit of money.

Even the late Brooke Astor gave up trying to get DT involved in charitable causes, and indeed much of NYC society shuns the Trump clan. Exception being Robert and his (then, now divorced ) wife Blaine Trump.

By and large they are the only ones who rolled up their sleeves and did work required to make it into society.

Blaine Trump is involved with God's Love We Deliver for instance among her other work.

Even within the cabal that makes up New York real estate royal families DT is an enigma. Again doesn't do charity and or otherwise only motivated by what he can get for himself. This and endless self aggrandization to point of nausea. How many buildings in NY or elsewhere need to be named "Trump"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2019 3:48 AM

Can we get back to the UES?

by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2019 3:53 AM

What more is there to say?

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2019 4:06 AM

R85 Trump's election showed that a lot of the Midwestern and southern states wanted change but had been too brainwashed by Fox et al to ever trust a Democrat. His appeal wasn't JUST the unsubtle racism and bigotry - that was part of it, but moreso from the perspective that he represented a disruption to "nagging liberals" that Fox News said were coming to change all the things they held dear.

It's deeper than just saying Trump's appeal was "anti-PC". Couple that with decades of Fox News pundits telling everyone they couldn't trust any other news source, even middle-of-the-road ones like NY Times and CNN, and eventually those media sources become seen as untrustworthy and liberal by the right.

It's taken decades to get to this point, and it won't be fixed by changing a President or Congress to the Democrat side. Several generations have now been indoctrinated in this constantly changing deluge of misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 92October 22, 2019 4:27 AM

Yes r84, but do they hate him for the reasons sane people hate him, or because his utter trash of a father mistook a fish fork for a salad fork and his rep tie had stripes that were slightly off.

by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2019 6:58 AM

R89, Trump didn't "make a bit of money," he INHERITED IT.

by Anonymousreply 94October 22, 2019 3:49 PM

New Yorkers know Trump is a joke - a pathetic con man who welches on his bills and traffics in racist paranoia to get himself on the cover of the Post. The rest of the country thinks that the fucking APPRENTICE was a documentary and that he really is a decisive billionaire business genius who just happens (like them) to hate brown people.

by Anonymousreply 95October 22, 2019 4:37 PM

So what building does Barbara Walters live in? And cokie Robert's too.

I know cokie is gone but still curious. And diane Sawyer too.

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2019 7:47 PM

BW was rumored to once live at 555 Park Avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2019 8:08 PM

The apartment in R97 is really nice.

by Anonymousreply 98October 23, 2019 8:10 PM

If I could afford the UES, I'd seek out one of those rare-as-hen's teeth pre-war condos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 23, 2019 8:20 PM

Ms. Diane Sawyer lives on Fifth Avenue near East 84th, she and her late husband purchased Robert Redford's former penthouse home.

For SATC fans, the address/building were used as "Big's and Carrie's" apartment in film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2019 8:21 PM

I'm always curious about these major network anchors Manhattan apartments. Wish more of them would let AD come and photograph them for the public to see.

Thanks R100.

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2019 8:28 PM

[97]: Countess Helen also lives at 555 Park.

by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2019 8:39 PM

Note R101, apartment shown was "rumored" at one time to have been BW's; she does not live there now IIRC.

Ms. Walters is a few years shy of 100, and hasn't been seen out in a very long time.

As for allowing AD or whoever in to show their homes, some still adhere to old society ways which state one's home is one's calling card; it should be photographed, shown, etc... Others value their privacy and rarely bother nowadays, well unless they are trying to sell the place.

Also if anyone from outside NYC is getting any ideas about "stalking" these buildings asking if "so and so" lives within, should't bother. Unless one has business , been invited or sent for staff at our very best white glove buildings know the drill. You won't get a foot past front door.

For many UES white glove co-ops or rental apartments only residents and their guests, professionals and a few others are allowed through front door. Everyone else goes around back to service entrance dodging rats. *LOL*

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2019 9:25 PM

I believe Barbara Walters is 89/90 or soon to be 90.

She's now living a quiet life in her fifth Avenue apartment. I'm sure she has plenty of $$$. ABC paid her well.

Her annual salary was $12-15 million dollars I believe, and she was at the network for nearly 50 years or more.

So yeah, she has plenty to keep her in the lap of luxury and comfort till the very end.

We should all be so lucky financially speaking.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2019 11:36 PM

R96, you can find practically anyone's mailing address, and sometimes address, HERE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 24, 2019 12:18 AM

"Her annual salary was $12-15 million dollars I believe, and she was at the network for nearly 50 years or more."

Barbara Walters left NBC for ABC in 1976 (43 years ago), and her salary them was 1 million. Let's not get so carried away.

by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2019 12:23 AM

R106 her salary in recent years before retirement was in the $12-15 million dollar range.

I'm not getting carried away.

You can look this stuff up.

And I'm not talking about on of those crazy celebrity networth sites either. For someone like Barbara Walters who had been in media for decades, a salary of that caliber is not out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 107October 24, 2019 12:52 AM

RE-READ what you wrote and think again, R107:

"Her annual salary was $12-15 million dollars I believe, and she was at the network for nearly 50 years or more."

Not true, dear.

by Anonymousreply 108October 24, 2019 1:02 AM

If you believe certain sources BW only made about $12 million USD from 2006 to 2007. Her total net worth is estimated to be around $170 million USD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2019 1:11 AM

Furthermore BW began earning one million a year back in 1976 with a five year contract to ABC evening news.

We can assume over coming decades Ms. Walter's negotiated contracts that paid similar or better, but it wasn't until 2007 that her reported salary reached $12 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 24, 2019 1:19 AM

In contrast some of the male news personalities pull far higher compensation than BW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 24, 2019 1:20 AM

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2019 1:26 AM

If I could afford the UES, I'd seek out one of those rare-as-hen's teeth pre-war condos.

Sorry, we regret to inform you, you did not pass the condo interview.

by Anonymousreply 113October 24, 2019 9:58 AM

Hello! Barbra Walters is the creator and still executive producer of "The View". She made millions from that alone not to mention her news anchor gig, Oscar specials, and 20/20 and that was ABC alone.

by Anonymousreply 114October 24, 2019 10:00 AM

Yes, pre-war condos on UES are rather rare; co-ops yes, those can be had in spades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 24, 2019 10:10 AM

All in all however few other areas of Manhattan, much less the city can equal grand old pre-war UES apartment buildings, rental, co-op and condo.

We're talking Fifth to Lexington here, and then skipping over to East End avenue.

Part of problem is in many instances you just cannot build anything like these pre-war buildings ever again. Changes in zoning regulations, construction costs, etc... all make it difficult to impossible. Don't think anyone is doing buildings with walls several bricks thick any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 24, 2019 10:15 AM

At the moment most wanted apartment on UES (or really much of Manhattan) is a "classic six".

Consisting of a formal dining room, a living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms, a smaller bedroom sometimes referred to as a maid's room, and one or two bathrooms. A maid's room is located away from other bedrooms, almost always off the kitchen to allow maids of the past easy access. A typical maid's room also has a small bathroom attached to it.

Classic six apartments are what families want if they cannot swing (or don't want) a row/town house. The maid's bedroom usually becomes a third bedroom and is prized for privacy because it is usually away from the "family" rooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 24, 2019 10:24 AM

My mother's had two beds and a "maid's room" turned into an office. No formal dining room, which was okay since she didn't cook and rarely ate at home. East 74th.

by Anonymousreply 118October 24, 2019 3:15 PM

WTF, R117? The maid doesn't get a shower?

by Anonymousreply 119October 24, 2019 5:20 PM

How does a co-op get started? Does the building developer build an apartment building thinking it'll be condo, and a group decides to buy in together and make it co-op? Does a group of people hire a developer to build the apartments?

by Anonymousreply 120October 24, 2019 9:08 PM

Two basic ways; either a building goes up as a purposely built co-op, or a rental building converts to same. While possible it is rare for a condo to convert to co-op.

Co-op model is basically dead in NYC at the moment, Nearly if not all new construction that isn't rental is condo.

It is often easier to sell condos since financing (mortgage) is possible for all or part of purchase price. Also there is a trend of hate lately towards the whole co-op model, especially as practiced by certain of our very best white glove buildings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 24, 2019 10:04 PM

Most of the hi-fancy co-ops switched over from rental buildings in (I think) the 1940s through 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 122October 24, 2019 10:07 PM

Back in the 1980's through a good part of 1990's there was a wave of rental apartment buildings (mostly in Manhattan) that converted into co-ops. Major reason was landlords seeking to get their buildings out of New York's rent regulation laws.

From downtown to UES or UWS and onto Harlem and points north many rent stabilized tenants bought their apartments, and now are sitting on gold mines. Friends in West Village, Greenwich Village, UWS and Chelsea recently have sold earning an excellent return on initial investment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 24, 2019 10:11 PM

R119

Have been in pre-war co-op or rental buildings where the maid's "shower" was one of those old bathtub/sink jobs found in period tenement buildings.

It was more to give staff a place to bathe as it was expected for them to do so, more than providing any sort of luxury. What the maid got largely depended upon generosity of her employer. Today a Saudi princess who purchased an UES mansion (on East 72nd IIRC), also bought a townhouse next door for the staff. In basement is a laundry room (can be seen from the street by peering down through windows) that puts many commercial places to shame.

In many older pre-war co-op or high end rental buildings communal space was provided for staff quarters. Most of these areas have long since been reclaimed to make apartments or something else that generated income. IIRC the Dakota had theirs on top floors.

Keeping with the theme and purpose of this site; the Ansonia Hotel on UES (once home to gay baths) converted to condo back in 1990's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 24, 2019 10:19 PM

R124 and several other posts is why I still love DL. Thanks for the info, r124

by Anonymousreply 125October 24, 2019 10:21 PM

Sorry for mistype, Ansonia Hotel is on UWS, not UES.

Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 126October 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Article about the Ansonia goes into why not all pre-war co-ops or condos are up everyone's street.

To many the UWS and other areas of Manhattan have always been seen as rather louche, for the it is the rich heartland of UES or nothing.

These same people just don't get or understand why money is moving down to Tribeca, West Village, Greenwich Village, and other areas downtown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 24, 2019 10:30 PM

Fifth Avenue below 14th has some beautiful pre-war co-op buildings every bit white glove as UES. One of my favorites is 40 Fifth avenue.

From Seventh avenue going east towards Broadway between 14th and Washington Square Park area there are many lovely pre-war rentals and co-op buildings. That area of Greenwich Village IMHO is better than UES, especially today now that downtown is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 24, 2019 10:35 PM

That looks so cozy^

by Anonymousreply 129October 24, 2019 10:43 PM

IIRC DL fave Andrew Kirtzman once lived (or still lives) at Forty Fifth avenue.

by Anonymousreply 130October 24, 2019 10:54 PM

The maid was usually a step off the boat from Ireland, so free room - any room - and board was a good deal.

by Anonymousreply 131October 24, 2019 10:55 PM

Which building does caroline kennedy live in. As well as Jackie's building.

Fun thread.

by Anonymousreply 132October 24, 2019 10:56 PM

For those that want more about condos versus co-ops, especially new versus old (money and buildings)....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2019 11:00 PM

R132

Jackie O at time of her death lived at one of our very best buildings; 1040 Fifth Avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 24, 2019 11:01 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 24, 2019 11:02 PM

As a child Jackie Bouvier grew up at another of our very best buildings, 740 Park avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 24, 2019 11:04 PM

Why does R132 keep referring to everything in NYC as "our" ?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a joke, that they're playing at being a Mad Men era matron, but give that it's DL, you never know....

by Anonymousreply 137October 24, 2019 11:04 PM

Was Jackie able to move into such a nice building because she was a former first lady of the United states? or because she was socially connected?

Or a combination of the two?

Curious. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 138October 24, 2019 11:09 PM

This is how true breeding rolls.....

Caroline Kennedy gave Jackie O's long term cook/companion an UES apartment on Park Avenue.

Again then nor now not all families shove servants into some desolate back room. Many do rent or own apartments close to their own for use by or house certain staff. It is the best possible worlds given nature of high rents/real estate prices in Manhattan, and desire to have trusted staff close by for an easy commute to and from work if you will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 24, 2019 11:10 PM

R137

It wasn't easy putting the new Mrs. Stephen Haines over; fights one had to get her into some of our very best homes.

by Anonymousreply 140October 24, 2019 11:13 PM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 141October 24, 2019 11:16 PM

Mostly because she had the money R138

She was socially connected but Fifth Avenue buildings did not have the cachet of the ones on Park and didn't get all "well look who WE rejected!"

(Though mostly I suspect the attitude was the one my grandmother had, which was that the Boards were a bunch of pretentious assholes who thought they were better than everyone...until of course someone she didn't want as a neighbor was trying to move in, at which point they became the Best Thing Ever and Why You Always Want A Co-op And Not A Condo, YMF.)

I remember thinking that was odd growing up as the views were much nicer on 5th (you could see the park) and there was much less traffic at night.

by Anonymousreply 142October 24, 2019 11:18 PM

You're joking, aren't you?

Jackie Bouvier was living on Park avenue as a child long before she even laid eyes on JFK.

Click on her parents names to see her background.

True there often wasn't tons of money, but they had names and background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 24, 2019 11:20 PM

Jackie paid $500,000 for her apartment at 1040 5th Ave. in 1965. Or rather, Old Joe did.

The floor plan is here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 24, 2019 11:22 PM

Yes, the views are a lot of what you pay for on Fifth Avenue. This 16-room spread at The Apthorp, on the UWS, is going for relative chump change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 24, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote]These same people just don't get or understand why money is moving down to Tribeca, West Village, Greenwich Village, and other areas downtown.

The UWS and UES are seen as old-fashioned, and unexciting. It's all about downtown for people with $$$$.

I believe the move to Tribeca started with JFK Jr. in the late 80s/early 90s. When he moved down there, Tribeca was suddenly "hot."

by Anonymousreply 146October 24, 2019 11:24 PM

I that Jackie paid $250K for that apartment?

by Anonymousreply 147October 24, 2019 11:27 PM

Poor Apthorp, not for lack of effort, but they are still having problems unloading those apartments.

Even DL fave Fredrik Eklund did his best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 24, 2019 11:31 PM

It's also mostly condos vs co-ops R146. And Wall Street guys can walk to work from Tribeca versus hefty commutes from the UES

Apthorp was a rental until fairly recently R144, my parents had some friends who lived there who felt screwed because had it gone co-op back in the 70s or 80s, they'd have made a small fortune.

I wonder who is living there now, given that it's a condo. Or not living there, as the case often is with condos.

That apartment has an odd layout--it would take you 15 minutes to get from one end of the apartment to the other as it's all a horseshoe shape.

And 8 bedrooms would seem to make it ideal for Russian or Chinese billionaires who want to take the extended clan on NYC vacations.

by Anonymousreply 149October 24, 2019 11:32 PM

R148 That what being a stuck up and elitist co-OP building will get you.

People eventually say fuck it and move on.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 150October 24, 2019 11:33 PM

The old-guard co-ops aren't as desirable as they once were. People are indeed saying "fuck it" and moving to new construction condo buildings, with all the modern conveniences. I've heard that many people won't even consider a building if it doesn't have a fitness center.

by Anonymousreply 151October 24, 2019 11:35 PM

Jennifer Hudson keeps trying to unload her apartment as well.

You'd think people would flock to these grand old pre-war courtyard buildings. No one is building them any longer, and there aren't very many left to begin with, but units at Apthorp, Astor, and a few others just don't sell fast enough and or at prices many sellers ask.

Part of reason of course for the UWS buildings is they are just that; on Broadway or some other area of UWS where money generally doesn't tend to go. The other reason is same as for everyone else; these grand old pre-war buildings are in direct competition with the tons of new construction all over Manhattan. Especially along 57th street and of course down town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 24, 2019 11:35 PM

More on Apthrop.

Of course those who have seen film Heartburn know the Apthorp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 24, 2019 11:37 PM

For those who don't live in NYC, a short list of Upper West Side buildings you likely know from films:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 24, 2019 11:39 PM

Apthorp is a condo R150 (at least according to the real estate listing at R145)

Which, on the UWS, is a reason to not buy there (no control over your neighbors and said neighbors frequently only live there a few weeks a year. People want community.)

by Anonymousreply 155October 24, 2019 11:40 PM

Until really rather recently the Apthorp was like many other once grand UWS buildings; it was old, in need of work, and filled with rent regulated tenants. There is nor was anything "white glove" or elitist about it.

Recent memory has seen that property attached to scandal, and countless legal proceedings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 24, 2019 11:43 PM

More on Apthorp....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 24, 2019 11:44 PM

Exactly R156 -- it's the sort of building that is unique to the UWS as it takes up a whole block and has an interior courtyard, but the fact that it remained a rental worked against it.

Lots of old school UWS "types" lived there.

The Ansonia (featured in Single White Female) is a similar building.

by Anonymousreply 158October 24, 2019 11:47 PM

There is a reason why UWS is (or was) filled with so man actors, actresses, dancers, performing artists , etc.... You could find often relative large or decent apartments for very little money. Many were often rent regulated such as the Apthorp or others.

Around 1980's or early 1990's property owners began to either sell buildings, convert rentals to co-ops, and or use available tools to get rid of low rent paying rent regulated tenants in attempts to bring their apartments up to market rate standards.

There was a time you could move into a building on CPW, Amsterdam avenue, Columbus avenue or Broadway for very comparatively little money. More so if you were in as a rent regulated tenant and bought at insider price when building went co-op.

Here are some of our very best UWS pre-war buildings, look at famous tenant list.....

Of course the UWS was famous for admitting people who wouldn't get a foot past front door of UES buildings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 24, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote] our very best UWS pre-war buildings,

by Anonymousreply 160October 24, 2019 11:53 PM

I love the Beresford, especially the upper floors. How are those apartments configured? Are they duplexes/triplexes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 25, 2019 12:00 AM

I love the Beresford, especially the upper floors. How are those apartments configured? Are they duplexes/triplexes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 25, 2019 12:00 AM

R158

Courtyard buildings popular at turn of last century quickly fell out of fashion.

Idea was imported from Europe with developers inspired by great palaces of monarchs and nobility, but court yard buildings come with a huge drawback. All that interior space is wasted.

Interior court yards are fine for light and air, something early 20th century apartments often had little of; but developers must hope residents are willing to pay premium for those features versus what they could get if land were developed another way.

Today no developer with a full city block of land builds a court yard building. They will divide up the floor space/air rights and put up one, two or more tall buildings, using some undeveloped land (depleted of air rights), for grounds.

by Anonymousreply 163October 25, 2019 12:03 AM

I was misgendered on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 164October 25, 2019 12:08 AM

DL faves Rick Elice and his late husband Roger Rees lived at Beresford. As did once Diana Ross, Margaret Mead, Rock Hudson and Glenn Close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 25, 2019 12:08 AM

For R162, enjoy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 25, 2019 12:08 AM

More about some of our very best buildings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 25, 2019 12:18 AM

List of recent apartments listed for sale at Beresford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 25, 2019 12:21 AM

And a UES doorman dead-named me.

ASSHOLE!

by Anonymousreply 169October 25, 2019 12:23 AM

For those who don't live in NYC and thus cannot imagine why people shun pre-war buildings in favor of new construction, here is a short run down.

Pre-war is just that, a building that went up nearly 100 years ago and that shows in various ways.

Most all largely still have steam or hot water heating systems. Few if any have central AC, so it is either a window unit or those through the wall things. Many apartments if not entire building require major upgrades to electrical wiring to remotely run half of what many consider standard appliances. Washing machines with heaters, electric dryers, dishwashers, electric ranges or evens, etc...

Many buildings do not have nor allow in unit washing machines as plumbing is so old it cannot hack discharge water flows. For decades people bought Miele or other European washing machines and dryers, only to get locked into a battle with co-op board about required electrical upgrades needed. This often could mean having a new cable run from street to breaker box, then up to apartment. Many of these buildings still have fuse boxes and other antiquated systems.

You'd be surprised at how many UES "white glove" apartment buildings have laundry rooms.

People spending tens of millions or far more look at these pre-war units, then factor in cost, bother, and battles with board on what it would take to bring apartment remotely into 21st century and say "screw it". They can buy a brand new condo apartment already in move in condition for less money upfront, and or what it would cost after all renovations/upgrades.

Sting who has become rather a NYC real estate force is case in point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 25, 2019 12:35 AM

R142

Park avenue is considered a residential street (no metered parking or commercial traffic above 57th), which is why like yourself one prefers it to Fifth.

Fifth avenue is a major south bound street also feeding west bound traverses through Central Park, as such it is noisy and has dense traffic much of the day and well into early evening. During the season when there are events at hotels and clubs below say 60th, traffic backs up well into the 70's.

Much of the traffic on Park tends to come during day with all the double parking (cars waiting for people to come out or go into buildings), school buses, etc...After about dinner time things quiet down dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 171October 25, 2019 12:42 AM

Though probably a topic for separate thread, one outcome with people being fed up with co-ops has been the return of town, row houses, brownstones and mansions back into single family homes.

Before the condo building boom started, those fed up with intrusive co-op process and still today are buying "brownstones" either vacant of tenants, and or getting rid or them, then turning those buildings back into private residences.

All along UES you've such homes that have been sold and resold on in many instances a few times (with total gut renovations in between usually), as people take advantage of this new safer and cleaner city.

On average you get more square footage from a row house than apartment building. If you have a family with space requirements that is more for the better. You also can finance all or part of a private home purchase, and or pull equity out of it far easily (if at all) than with a co-op.

This search for affordable brownstone/row houses or mansions has sent people out of Manhattan to large parts of Brooklyn causing all sorts of gentfication upheavals. Fort Green, Clinton Hill right down through Bedford-Stuyvesant has seen a huge influx of wealthy white or other families buying homes.

DL fave Matt Boemer and his family live in Brooklyn, so despite what poor Miranda felt about being a social outcast by moving to Brooklyn in SATC, no one thinks that way much in real life any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 25, 2019 1:18 AM

Matt Bomer is not a DL fave, it's just two or three obsessed freaks.

by Anonymousreply 173October 25, 2019 1:27 AM

The other huge upside to brownstones R172 is a backyard. They're not huge by suburban standards, but having outdoor space in NYC is a huge plus. I was always envious of friends who lived in brownstones growing up because of that.

by Anonymousreply 174October 25, 2019 2:01 PM

This makes country life sound even more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 175October 25, 2019 6:31 PM

r175 the real estate madness in NYC can really get to you. Something as simple as having an apartment, which in other places is hassle-free, can be a giant nightmare in NYC. Which buildings are "good buildings" and on and on. It does seem ridiculous to everybody else but NYers are so invested in all of that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 176October 25, 2019 7:52 PM

R174

Yes, back yards are great, but only if rat or mice free. Several friends both in Brooklyn and Manhattan with townhouses have had to deal with vermin in their back yard. One couple got so fed up poured concrete over entire area turning it into a patio. Still no files on those NYC rats; they set up housekeeping in the various potted plants/trees.

by Anonymousreply 177October 25, 2019 10:30 PM

So what makes a "good building"? Is it that certain people have lived there, like former presidents and first ladies? Or the amenities, door service, the views, the location etc etc etc.

What is it?

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 178October 25, 2019 10:42 PM

R175

If were still talking about UES, plenty have both, a home in town and also out in the country. This goes for UWS, West Village, Greenwich Village, etc... Then you have those with homes also in other states or even countries.

Great thing about UES is once summer rolls around in earnest nearly everyone is gone (at least west of Lexington towards CP), so can have things to oneself. *LOL*. Maybe the husbands are around M-Thursday, but by Friday they are often gone as well.

While NYC real estate does seem dramatic, most don't give things a second though after settling into their home or apartment. People just get on with things usually only getting involved with co-op or condo board drama when needed.

If you've seen old films like "the Women"; UES life hasn't changed that much; people have country and town houses, domestic help, and lives that revolve around their children's activities, social calendar, charity work, and so on.

Though things have changed a bit since it was made, suggest watching film "Metropolitan" for a glimpse into UES conservative life, at least from a young person's perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 25, 2019 10:51 PM

[quote] Though things have changed a bit since it was made, suggest watching film "Metropolitan" for a glimpse into UES conservative life, at least from a young person's perspective.

"Metropolitan" and other Whit Stillman movies from the 90s are an apt description of my 60 year old mother's life (she grew up on UES and went to the same school as I did) and people she knew then--or at least that is what she and my aunt and uncle (her brother and sister) have told me.

by Anonymousreply 180October 25, 2019 11:43 PM

'The common image of divorce and decadent behavior being prevalent among New York social types is not really accurate,' Charles, the group's moralist, played by Taylor Nichols, says. He adds, thoughtfully, 'That's more Southampton.'

True, true!

by Anonymousreply 181October 26, 2019 12:01 AM

International Debutante Ball 2018

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 26, 2019 12:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 26, 2019 12:06 AM

and 1997

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 26, 2019 12:08 AM

Who are these people?

Well from 33rd International Debutante Ball you have Countess Vanessa von Bismarck (yes *that* Bismarck family) being escorted by Mr. Dennis Lyons and Dean Dochterman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 26, 2019 12:11 AM

Countess von Bismark's marriage announcement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 26, 2019 12:14 AM

Like everyone else these days however Countess von Bismarck chose Chelsea over UES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 26, 2019 12:17 AM

I want a time machine to go back and have sex with Dean Dochterman.

by Anonymousreply 188October 26, 2019 12:54 AM

She went from that hottie on her arm to this dude? Yeesh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 26, 2019 2:02 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 26, 2019 3:45 AM

Then we come to Count Carl-Eduard von Bismarck, the elder brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 26, 2019 3:47 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 26, 2019 3:53 AM

Tanny LeClercq and Mr. B lived in the Apthrop. She stayed there when he divorced her to marry Suzanne Farrell in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 193October 26, 2019 4:02 AM

Again for 189, the civilian escort (Mr. Dennis Lyons) who made up the other half were young men from (yes, I'll say it again) our very best homes chosen (or corralled into it by their mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, close female friend of family....) into the role. These would have usually been young men home for the season from Ivy League colleges, or on break from same who traveled to New York City for the season.

For these social events there never seems or seemed to be enough young men, and finding them often was a problem for any woman launching her daughter or whoever.

If you watched the recent remake of "Love in a Cold Climate" where Lady Alconleigh is planning a ball to launch her daughter (Linda) and niece (Fanny) upset that will all replies in she still didn't have enough young men. So the eldest son (Matt) was summoned home from Eton, and Lord Alconleigh brings down some old men from "the Lords" (House of Lords) to fill things out.

Again recommend watching film "Metropolitan" as it covers things in pretty good detail. Older Ivy League guys (maybe seniors or recently graduated) usually tried to avoid being dragooned into the whole deb scene. Some however keen on seeing what fresh young things were about hung around.

There is a scene when one of the older brothers in Metropolitan meets and forcefully hugs one of the young debs; only to be informed she's underage. He then drops her uttering "ohh, jail bait", and goes off about his business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 26, 2019 4:05 AM

Definitely no thanks to townhouses. I have seen mice, rats run into immaculate, clean townhouses at night on the UES. So what if you have a garden? You probably have to keep all your doors and windows closed at all times so those things can't run into your house via the backyard. This is NYC, rats and mice outnumber the residents.

by Anonymousreply 195October 26, 2019 4:14 AM

Walk around the UES from Fifth to Lexington (and beyond), and you'll find rodent bait stations in front of or near apartment buildings, and or front gardens/areas of townhouses.

Caretakers of buildings along Fifth avenue are ever at battle to keep rats out of front gardens, or at least no further. Ironically same thing applies to CPW, but they also have raccoons and other wildlife as well.

Friend was walking down CPW last year around this time and going past grounds of museum of Natural History saw what he thought was a large rat (that park is infested with them), but upon closer inspection as walking past it was a raccoon. Apparently the little guy was timing his run to get across CPW and back into CP.

by Anonymousreply 196October 26, 2019 4:25 AM

LOL

When I was of age, in the early 00s, the debutante scene was considered beyond lame, both by people my age and by people my parents age.

It was mostly people with limited connection to NYC, usually Euros or Southerners, or second wives who didn't get the social implications or someone who had gotten roped into it by the committee.

No one I know, male or female went into it willingly

by Anonymousreply 197October 26, 2019 12:29 PM

The rich are different.

by Anonymousreply 198October 26, 2019 4:17 PM

And there about to be taxed at 91% by Bernie Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 199October 26, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote] And there about to be taxed at 91% by Bernie Sanders.

No there [SIC] not R199

Yes Sanders wants to do that and Liz Warren has her own soak-the-rich plan, but the reality is that people with that much money also have the resources to hire people who will ensure that the bulk of their assets are in places the US government can't touch it and/or to tweak the manner in which they get paid (if, for example, they are CEOs) so that they avoid the bulk of the taxes.

All that said, they will wind up paying more though and the impression that our system is not coddling the rich under some bizarre "trick down" theory is still the right way to go.

by Anonymousreply 200October 26, 2019 7:34 PM

Loopholes will be removed.

by Anonymousreply 201October 26, 2019 7:41 PM

The Europeans tried that R201

What happens is a goodly percentage of the very rich just relocate to somewhere with friendlier tax laws.

by Anonymousreply 202October 26, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote]And there[sic] about to be taxed at 91% by Bernie Sanders.

Your math is as good as your spelling.

by Anonymousreply 203October 26, 2019 8:02 PM

R202 is scared shitless that his inheritance and trust fund is about to be snatched away.

Lol.

You better get boy.

by Anonymousreply 204October 26, 2019 8:11 PM

I have a trust fund?

by Anonymousreply 205October 26, 2019 8:25 PM

R205 Aren't you a rich upper east side kid? You sound like your rich.

by Anonymousreply 206October 26, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]This is NYC, rats and mice outnumber the residents.

Throw in opossum, too. I wish I knew the moron who came up with the idea to import opossum to take care of the rat problem. Fucking idiot literally took his idea from a Simpsons episode. The opossum population is out of control along with the prey they were supposed to feast on.

by Anonymousreply 207October 26, 2019 8:57 PM

Opossums are native to New York, and thus have co-existed with rats for hundreds of years. Granted it would have been native species of rats until the Norway arrived on ships from Europe, but never the less that idiot scheme out of Brooklyn was never going to work.

While opossums will eat rodents, they would first have to catch them, and that was issue with stupid Brooklyn release. NYC rats simply out ran opossums most of the time. Happily for opossums (but not local area residents) there is plenty of other food to be found, so the creatures flourished in greater numbers than otherwise would be found.

by Anonymousreply 208October 26, 2019 10:04 PM

R197

Am waiting for a family to show up with their trans "daughter" and wants her entered into IDB. Then we'll see just how liberal and inclusive the UES truly has become.

I mean the Junior League has really opened up over last decade or so; but wonder just how far things will be allowed to go.

by Anonymousreply 209October 26, 2019 10:06 PM

R208, I grew up in Brooklyn. I didn't start seeing opossum until about ten years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 26, 2019 10:10 PM

Query inspired by R179 and film Metropolitan.

Does anyone still do the Cha-Cha? Or maybe the Fox Trot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 26, 2019 11:24 PM

Query inspired by R179 and film Metropolitan.

Does anyone still do the Cha-Cha? Or maybe the Fox Trot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212October 26, 2019 11:24 PM

Another sale in one of our very best buildings.

Former home of Kate Spade (may God rest her soul), at 850 Park Avenue sold for a bit over five million (down from asking price of around six million).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213November 19, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote]Does anyone still do the Cha-Cha?

Nice girls don't do the Cha-Cha!

by Anonymousreply 214November 19, 2019 11:17 PM

R214

How do you feel about the bossa-nova?

by Anonymousreply 215November 19, 2019 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!