Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Many of us suffer from chronic pain. Will there ever be a cure?

Perhaps. But in many cases, the physical manifestation of pain is only one aspect of the problem.

"Ramanuj pointed to plentiful research that shows how physical and emotional pain fire up the same regions of the brain. One pain can mask the other; it is far easier, after all, to confront a physical affliction than an emotional wound. Even if there were some kind of miracle cure, you would still need to contend with the vagaries of human behaviour. Patients regularly choose not to take drugs that might help them; sometimes, they seem not to want to get better. The lives of people in entrenched chronic pain have often unravelled: they might have lost jobs or relationships, years of productive existence. We all need a story to tell about our lives, to explain why we are where we are. For some, pain has become the explanation. “Pain occupies so much of your mind, you’re hardwired to attend to it; that’s what its purpose is,” said Ramanuj. “When you’re attending to physical pain there are other things you don’t need to attend to.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2019 3:32 AM

Mug-cradler thread.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2019 11:13 AM

Interesting. I don’t disagree.

There are more than a few people in my life who seem to be wedded to pain.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2019 11:55 AM

the cure is to move to a country like mexico or others where opiates are easy to get a script for. god dam paranoia in this cuntry have fuked it up fer folks for whom only opiods work...u had bak pain for 35 yrs? ude do anything....

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2019 1:08 PM

A badly written promo piece for the biopsychosocial model. Ho-hum.

That's not to say that stress, etc., do not play a role and exacerbate pain and illness, but psychiatrists are bringing political clout behind them to muscle in on the area of chronic illness, with the aim of displacing scientific research and treatment. Once the biopsychosocial model is the accepted treatment, if patients don't improve on it, they don't [italic]want[/italic] to get better and are dismissed, their insurance stops covering them, etc.

[quote]Patients regularly choose not to take drugs that might help them; sometimes, they seem not to want to get better.

Or maybe, just maybe their reluctance stems from the fact that, as the article acknowledges, the drugs commonly given to treat chronic pain have the potential of long-term side-effects.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2019 2:04 PM

[quote]they don't want to get better

That is, the official verdict is that they don't want to get better.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2019 2:05 PM

eventually, if you take enough

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2019 2:13 PM

It’s a good discussion. Just read Dreamland about the opioid crisis and how it started in Ohio, Kentucky. Clearly those pills were used like alcohol used to be - but they were more addictive and problematic than alcohol. Then cheap heroin flooded in.

Personally, the whole psychological diagnosis and drug restriction mania drives me crazy. I’ve had two experiences of herniated disks - which should have clearly been treated short term with an opioid or major painkiller. But because they have been essentially banned in NYC, no doctor would give them. I was awake for days in a row because I could not sleep from the pain. Which of course just made the pain - physical and psychological - worse. If I could have gotten a good nights sleep without pain, it would ave helped.

I finally got a doctor in another state to give me a prescription - 90 days with no problem. Which is crazy. In NYC I can’t get one. In PA, I got 90 days. Anyway, I used about 5 to get me through a few days and then the pain became manageable - after I finally got some sleep. I kept the other 80+ for the next time. It’s bullshit that I can’t get them when needed.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2019 3:14 PM

I hear you, I have 4 herniated back discs and one in neck. Nothing helps but opioids. ive tried ev thing for a decade, fortunately ive a dr who gives me a few. but not enuf…

but I can see why so many move to countrys where theyr easy to get, quality of life is whats important....specially if ur old.

the poor fuks dying are often the ones who cant get a script anymore and go on the street and....die from bad shit.

Lastly, if ur over 65 for gods sake give folks what they need so they can die with dignity and out of pain!!!! if u aint had chronic pain for yrs, uve no idea ….how shitty it is..

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2019 6:46 PM

R8, I’ve been spared chronic pain - so far. I do agree that older people should just get whatever the fuck drugs they want at the end of their lives. (Although I always worry that their caretakers will steal it from them and leave the poor olds in pain. My cunt cousin was a nurse and she lost her license for that.)

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2019 10:05 PM

Opiods are not really designed for long term use. They lead to tolerance, dependence, and then addiction. It sucks that there isn’t much they can really do for chronic pain, that won’t boomerang back on you.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2019 12:46 AM

I have severe and disabling spinal stenosis that because my spine is pushing against nerves all over the place causes terrible back and leg pain and even worse numbness to where if I don't sit right down I will fall down. I go nowhere without a kind of walker called a rollator that has a seat. I've seen 4 neurosurgeons and they all say it's inoperable. If they tried I'd end up paralyzed.

I saw 3 different pain doctors and the last one offered me a script for Oxy since I've tried every OTC medication there is. I thought about it. The thing is the pain isn't going away. If anything it's going to get worse. The Oxy gives at best a few hours slight pain relief. So if I take it daily or 2 or 3 times a day without any doubt in my mind I will become an addict quickly. I also hate any change in my consciousness. Being high was never for me, not even as a teen. So I said no.

I have accepted or more like I'm trying to accept that I will be in pain, a lot of pain, for the rest of my life. I will be disabled and very limited in what I can do for the rest of my life and it will get worse and worse. Sometimes trying to accept these things is all you can do.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2019 1:31 AM

I can’t imagine R11. You are stronger than me. I would take the Oxy at least to sleep. I suffered for a few weeks and it made me consider suicide until I got some Vicodin. You must be a pretty strong person.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2019 3:02 AM

They've been injecting people with migraines successfully with Botox. Can't it help other kinds of pain?

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2019 3:13 AM

No, R12. I'm not strong at all. That's why I won't take the Oxy. I would be one of those addicted for sure. I'm terrified of that. If my pain was temporary sure I would take Oxy for a few days, but my pain isn't going anywhere ever. I've told by every doctor I see that it will get worse until I might not be able to walk at all. The last thing I need in addition to the other miseries of my life is an addiction. A truly strong person would know that if they started to get addicted they would be able to conquer it. I fear I'm way too weak to ever be able to do that once I'm hooked. If I was truly brave I would take my chance with surgery and hope they wrong and I won't wake up paralyzed.

Thank you very much for what you said, but really, I'm very far from strong or brave.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2019 3:16 AM

R11 You've probably tried everything...but I have to ask: have you tried epidural steroid injections?

I had one a few weeks ago for a herniated disc. I was suffering from severe pain in my leg, a numb foot and great difficulty walking, but the injection has given me a lot of relief.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2019 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!