Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is drag "girlface"?

A Facebook friend posted on his timeline this very question, in light of the Justin Trudeau "brownface" scandal.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, but to my surprise many people posted replies indicating yes, it is.

For the record, I love drag queens and watching drag performances. I've never thought drag performances were misogynistic in nature.

Would love to hear what DLers think.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2021 4:39 PM

Team Drag.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2019 12:43 AM

Cancel Culture has become nothing more than online "re-education camps"

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2019 12:45 AM

Of course they are misogynistic in nature. I find it entertaining at times too, but there is no denying it is rooted in misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2019 12:46 AM

R3, is it, really? I honestly thought most guys doing drag adore women and love the idea of looking like them.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2019 12:48 AM

Yes it is

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2019 1:22 AM

It is rooted in envy and not a little admiration not misogyny. Male to female trans is misogyny.

It is the only genuine appropriation as in theft there is.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2019 1:26 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2019 1:30 AM

Well, they kind of are a parody of women. But, since it involves a disadvantaged group, it might get a pass.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2019 1:36 AM

Women are the majority in most developed countries, so it's irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2019 1:39 AM

It's often misogynistic, it's definitely "girlface" but since gays are lower than women on the Victim Scale, it gets a pass.

But your FB friends are right OP

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2019 1:41 AM

When done well, the art of female illusionary is a compliment to women.

Most Halloween drag and ugly "girls" are definitely an insult to pretty women, but not fat or ugly ones..

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 2:07 AM

To a bizarre Millennial, yes.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2019 2:11 AM

I think not because drag queens are being drag queens, not women specifically. Trans is woman face.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 2:30 AM

Christ, this crap again.

Women are immediately banned from all gay bars and all sports activities. Why? Same logic. Its appropriation. Women always turn every damn thing into “look at me! Pay attention to ME!”

Being obsessed with canceling authentic gay forms of entertainment means women are absolutely not allies.

Either deal with gay culture or fuck off back to kinder, küche, kirche. Don’t look for any support as your rights get eroded.

Cancel culture? More like Cancel Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2019 3:08 AM

I like drag, but it is girlface. You are dressing up and pretending to be something you aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2019 3:20 AM

As a woman I have never, ever had a problem with drag and I do not understand those who do.

I believe that drag characters are lovingly created by the male drag performers as almost an extension of themselves, I see no malice in it.

I guess you could call it "girlface", which is an obvious reference and an obvious comparison to "blackface" or "brownface". I believe that gender and ethnicity are two separate topics and that both come with different reactions from people and different challenges and problems.

I see drag as an art form, and drag queens as performers and I believe their characters are not a blanket statement about women as a whole but as individual characters with their own motivations and their own stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2019 3:23 AM

Cosmetics were a french fashion that were for men and women. Coopting this as “women only” is historically wrong and typical posturing.

Not only is there a historical precedent for drag, the most political and outrageous forms of buffoonery as political satire were the only protected speech in Ancient Rome and Nazi Berlin.

Not women: fags in make up.

So shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2019 5:19 AM

I remember an interview with some old school drag performer - maybe somebody else remembers it too - when asked if he wanted to be a woman, the queen answered vehemently, 'I ain't no damn woman. I don't want to be no damn woman', and on and on. It was clear from the way he talked about women that he had total contempt for them. He might be a big old queen, but he was still a man, and superior to them.

I think some drag is done with love, to celebrate. But there's plenty of drag that is mean-spirited and coming from a place of negativity for the very thing it's trying to evoke. The point is, it's not all the same.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2019 5:57 AM

Fraus [bold]love[/bold] RuPaul's Drag Race though, so if they're complaining about drag being 'girlface' at the same time, it's a bit disingenuous.

Who the fuck do you think is pushing this recent phenomenon of 'drag kids'? It's their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Oh, definitely Team Drag. This is the Datalounge for god's sake.

Tellingly, the OP is already on ignore as are most of the posts in this thread.

Stealth Trans-bashing thread by those odious hateful hags.

Dumb bigoted cunts are still dumb cunty bigots.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2019 6:12 AM

R15 That is trans, not drag,

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2019 6:14 AM

Long ago, I used to do coat checks at the local gay bar as a fundraiser for an AIDS organization, and it had a regular Saturday night drag show, which was also the night with a DJ and dance music. So the straights came with their GFs and the gays came to dance and ogle the straight boys, and the drag queens did their shows. Inevitably the night ended with police presence, as either straight women insulted the drag queens or the drag queens insulted the straight women. Whichever it was on a given night, it wasn't ever more than 5 minutes of shouting until the shoes came off and got thrown, and wigs were pulled off of heads. It was entertaining, but a time or two I had to duck down among the coats to avoid the line of fire.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 6:24 AM

Yeah, they need to have segregated "straight nights" when the tourists can come around.

Decent gays and queens don't want to be involved in that mess.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2019 6:38 AM

O please! Girls/females have been canceled out by the trannies. That gender no longer exists or means anything.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2019 6:40 AM

Go to the ignore ghetto, R24.

You're too stupid to be read by normal people.

Also, please die as soon as possible because you are of no use to anyone in the world and no one loves you. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2019 8:22 AM

[quote] 'I ain't no damn woman. I don't want to be no damn woman', and on and on. It was clear from the way he talked about women that he had total contempt for them. He might be a big old queen, but he was still a man, and superior to them.

Exactly, it's like a form of knocking down for them because of what straight male society did to them. And as time goes on and gays gain more rights, it is even more ugly. I suspect the people defending it so vehemently and telling everyone who is critical to shut up are very old. And saying that women are ok with that doesn't really make your point. There are lots of women who wear burkas who think it empowers them and is not misogynistic in any way. Doesn't make that true.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2019 12:11 PM

So R26, drag is bad because you feel it’s gay men knocking down women. But it’s ok for you to demean supporters of drag by saying, in an insulting way, that they are probably ‘very old’. Because to you, it’s ok to ignore or insult those who you see as ‘old’.

You fucking, lousy, bent-double hypocrite. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2019 12:20 PM

It's totally misogynistic. Gay men degrading women by exaggerating their most vulnerable characteristics.

And that's what makes it so much fun! 💁🏼‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2019 12:22 PM

R25 cannot handle the truth and quit projecting, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2019 3:46 PM

Yes. They exaggerate women's supposed behavior, but really they just act like a bimbo, i mean not all women are loud, like to cake on makeup or wear flashy, revealing clothes. In that sense, you could compare it with blackface because they're only portraying an stereotype of how they think women are.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote]'I ain't no damn woman. I don't want to be no damn woman', and on and on. It was clear from the way he talked about women that he had total contempt for them. He might be a big old queen, but he was still a man, and superior to them.

But if a straight guy says the same thing in response he gets a pass. He was probably just sick of hearing how "gay men are all jealous of women" at that point.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2019 3:56 PM

I hate the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2019 4:04 PM

i've noticed many places and articles using brownface instead of blackface are they trying to minimize it because justin is a liberal or what? it's usually blackface and his face was as black as boot black.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2019 4:09 PM

It is no different than blackface.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2019 4:15 PM

Misogyny is not the same as blackface. Most people hate the bitches because they are cunts.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2019 4:19 PM

A drag performer doing Liza Minnelli or Barbra Streisand is exaggerating an individual’s characteristics and has put some thought and work into the performance. It doesn’t seem insulting to me, but I’m not Liza or Barbra. A guy in drag in 4” heels, a platinum wig, six pounds of make up and sequins is mocking women by defining womanhood as those things. It’s not the world’s biggest problem.

I saw a bunch of six grade boys dress in drag for their school talent show. They were not mocking women, they were mocking men who dress as women. I was pretty shocked but, now that I think about it, if drag queens can mock women, maybe boys can mock drag queens? The boys’ performance strict me as pretty ugly, but nobody else seemed offended.

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2019 4:53 PM

R36 That would be a class known as “female impersonator”.

Drag is usually political. Drag is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]I was pretty shocked but, now that I think about it, if drag queens can mock women, maybe boys can mock drag queens? The boys’ performance strict me as pretty ugly, but nobody else seemed offended.

It was males mocking males, so...?

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2019 2:34 AM

And you all got trolled by Mary Cheney.

Fuck the Cheneys.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2019 2:48 AM

It absolutely is. "Hahaha!! I'm dressed up like a WOMAN! Isnt that HILARIOUS??!!"

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2019 3:01 AM

I agree with the posters who said that not all drag queens have the same intent. It can be VERY misogynistic and mean spirited ("fish"-- need I say more?), or relatively harmless (RuPaul), or even sweet and tender (Edith's friend Beverly on "All in the Family"). Motivation matters.

Now trans... Yes, that is womanface. It degrades women in a way that drag does not, IMO. Like, legally.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2019 4:00 AM

W&W for Girl Not Offended.

I love women and I enjoy seeing [italic]creative[/creative] drag.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2019 7:40 AM

Oops [/italic] Closing italics.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2019 7:44 AM

If you’re going to get offended by culture appropriation, there are no blurred lines. I don’t know any male friend who didn’t dress up in Indian garb...meaning Native North Americans, for Halloween from childhood on. We all know this, unless you’re Amish, let’s stop being shocked.

When do we call over tanning unexceptable. Kim Kardashian constantly portrays everything except what she actually is. Yet she gets away with it because we all think she mentally deficient.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2019 7:59 AM

Stop with “the face” thing. It’s like calling everything political “gate”. Watergate was the fucking hotel. That’s it! Everything is offensive now! I actually don’t know if the next sentence I write, will be offensive to someone. My guesses, yes!

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2019 8:17 AM

Cancel culture is being weaponized by the opposition to plant the seed of turning against one of your own.

"I hear he / she doesn't recycle at home! Cancel!" "I hear he / she shops at Walmart! Cancel!" "I hear he/she celebrates Halloween! Cancel!" "I hear he / she serves food with high fructose corn syrup! CANCEL!!!!!" ...

Cancel = Burn the witch!

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2019 8:45 AM

Come Halloween, how many Indians are we going to see. It’s such an easy costume...a headdress that you can buy at your nearest trading post, (this is a thing in Canada). I’m Canadian, I know reality here! So, should I call the cops on a child dressed up as a Native? Honestly, people really do active genetic searches to find out if their.0000489 percent Native to get the benefits of true Native Canadians. This really is a thing and beyond offensive.

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2019 9:20 AM

[quote]Fraus love RuPaul's Drag Race though, so if they're complaining about drag being 'girlface' at the same time, it's a bit disingenuous.

What makes you think the women on OP's facebook page are the same women who watch Drag Race?

Most of the replies on here act like women are some sort of monolith and that if OP sees three ladies on Facebook say something then all women believe the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2019 9:33 AM

[quote]Cancel culture is being weaponized by the opposition to plant the seed of turning against one of your own.

That's the way it's always been though. Republicans and also media types say Democrats should be held to a higher standard so we get things like Al Franken, who was definitely one of those old touchy-feely Boomer types, get run out of the Senate for things that no Republican would get run out for. When I was a kid Republicans were always slamming Carter for being less moral than he claimed he was, there was a whole thing about how he admitted to having lusted after women but never cheated, and Repugs were "he's a hypocrite!!!" 24/7.

Republicans have always accused liberals of doing the things they themselves are doing. It's not a cancel culture thing, it's a Republican thing.

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2019 9:37 AM

It's because the Arabian character he was playing wasn't black, R33. It's brownface when it's a white person who put on cork to look Latino, Arabic, Native American, etc. It's blackface when they're wearing cork to look like a black person.

by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2019 9:39 AM

Shall we bring up the instances and actual movies where culture appropriation is the selling point.

Sit the fuck down you pious ones. I’m pretty sure you did stuff as a ‘normal’ thinking it won’t be dredged up. If this is the worse they got, for fuck sakes, they literally have costumes with masks of a different colour.

Oh, yeah...anyone on this site, speaking out against Trudeau, you are helping a dick who literally goes on anti gay rants, and refuses to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 51September 22, 2019 9:59 AM

Only when it comes from a place of derision and ridicule, I.e., Milton Berle et al. But in general, most drag queens admire women, they love performing as women, even when they go to exaggeration for entertainment value.

Blackface performers always mocked blacks, whom they considered inferior. No admiration there.

by Anonymousreply 52September 22, 2019 12:21 PM

I’m sure Trudeau “loves” black people too r52, still doesn’t make it right or not an act of condescension.

by Anonymousreply 53September 22, 2019 12:36 PM

Condescension is a bad enough reason to do blackface, since you can love a culture yet still feel superior to them. That’s not the case at all with drag queens, with the exception of some straight performers like Milton Berle. However, there were others who did drag without resorting to condescension - like Curtis&Lemmon, Flip Wilson, Dame Edna, et al.

by Anonymousreply 54September 22, 2019 12:44 PM

This guy sums it up beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 22, 2019 12:48 PM

Was there any criticism when the Wayan brothers did White Chicks? I honestly don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2019 12:51 PM

Drag is so cringey, if only it would just cease to be.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2019 12:54 PM

Lol at the vid at r55. Yeah, men don’t get to decide if a parody of womanhood is offensive to women.

by Anonymousreply 58September 22, 2019 1:01 PM

All you non Canadians, do you know who Trudeau’s opponent is? He’s Andrew Scheer. And he super hates the gays. Yes, this piece of shit has gone on many rants about the gays, and still refuses to apologize. Gay marriage will be abolished. I’m not making this up. Stop being self righteous idiots. By today’s standards, we all misappropriated something. I’m not willing to take 3 gay steps back for ugly ass Scheer. He’s actually doing “thumbs up”, to gain the Trump crowd.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2019 1:04 PM

R56 There was not an ounce of outrage over the Wayans brothers' film 'White Chicks'. The Wayans brothers are doing just fine.

Cancel culture and those who are exempt from it....I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Thanks R42!

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2019 3:21 PM

White Chicks was black men mocking WHITE women. The element of race plays into why no one said anything about it. Plus, it was 15 years ago. If a movie was made today about the Wayans dressing up as a stereotype of black women.... Well, they wouldn't even try it and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2019 3:36 PM

A lot of the ‘lesbian’ MTFs excel at Frauface.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2019 3:39 PM

R62 And if the film had been made today with the Wayans brother imitating and mocking white women there would still be zero outrage.

People who want to be exempt from responsibility or treating others as they would like to be treated who then constantly complain that they're not...oh, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2019 3:42 PM

The fact this is being raised is a ticking time bomb for drag queens. Overnight, the mob can suddenly deem it offensive and careers destroyed. Ru Paul included.

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2019 3:47 PM

The mob has already tried to destroy RuPaul several times in recent years.

e.g. "You've Got She-Mail", the Vixen, stating that trans women wouldn't be contestants on his show.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2019 3:57 PM

What is the difference between this cancel culture nonsense and religious extremists? We've had spates of it here over the decades. We had Carrie Nation and the prohibition movement. That turned out *really well*.

Why is it that a little power turns into such a dangerous drug?

by Anonymousreply 67September 23, 2019 4:33 AM

[quote] What is the difference between this cancel culture nonsense and religious extremists

Zero.

by Anonymousreply 68September 24, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]It's totally misogynistic. Gay men degrading women by exaggerating their most vulnerable characteristics.

Yes! Just like EVERY MtF tranny!

by Anonymousreply 69September 24, 2019 5:22 AM

R67, and don't forget the postwar Red Scare and McCarthy era. People were (the 1950s equivalent of) canceled for beliefs they had held 15 years earlier, or for refusing to turn in friends and colleagues whose politics might have been a little pink.

Most moral panics have a core of reality. Racism is real; sexual harassment is real. There really were Americans spying for the Soviets in the '40s. But then we take it too far; what started as a reasonable concern gets whipped into a frenzy of zealotry until eventually the whole thing collapses and is repudiated by a subsequent era.

by Anonymousreply 70September 24, 2019 6:16 AM

Correct R70. And "zealotry" is very apt word.

by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2019 7:30 PM

"The mob has already tried to destroy RuPaul several times in recent years. e.g. 'You've Got She-Mail', the Vixen, stating that trans women wouldn't be contestants on his show."

That was beyond ridiculous. If transwomen ARE women-- as they chant loudly and endlessly-- then how on earth can they be drag queens? Drag queens are MEN portraying women. That's the definition, FFS. Poor Ru took their words to heart and they went after him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 72September 24, 2019 7:49 PM

I'd think any reasonably intelligent and self-aware woman would be able to understand the difference between simply being a woman and the performance of womanhood. The latter is socially encouraged/enforced. It's the cultural force behind women saying things like "I can't leave the house without putting on my face." Drag queens are about playing with that *performance.* Many drag queens aren't particularly clever about it, they're just going for a very literal aping of beauty queen presentation standards. And I've seen some claim that they're better at performing womanhood than any woman, which certainly comes across as hostile. But there's nothing inherently misogynistic about drag. (Unless you think putting on a full face of makeup is inherent to womanhood.)

by Anonymousreply 73September 24, 2019 8:18 PM

I'm a woman, I don't see the appeal in drag although there are some extremely talented performers (Divine) that are out of anyone's league, but now that you mention it OP, yes, I've always felt it was "girlface". It feels like a caricature or a misconception of what being a woman is. I've never seen the point, but some people love it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 24, 2019 8:23 PM

It's simple, really, and applies to all arguments on appropriation/blank-face/dressing up:

1. Are you my personal/political/social enemy? Then what you are doing is hate and literally is the result of pain and violence for countless people worldwide.

2. Are you my personal/political/social ally? Then what you are doing is either an homage, being open to understanding others' points of view, or a simple, misunderstood indiscretion.

or

3. DO I NEED ATTENTION?!?! THEN LISTEN TO MY COMPLAINT AND VALIDATE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No one is truly ever hurt by this. It's all a platform to suck away power from others. Backlash will come eventually.

by Anonymousreply 75September 24, 2019 8:41 PM

In other words, R75, its okay if someone you like does it, not okay otherwise. That's called hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 76September 24, 2019 9:00 PM

R76 Yes, the hypocrites are now excusing the dopey Canadian who loves playing dress-ups.

by Anonymousreply 77September 24, 2019 9:05 PM

It's gender critical/feminists that have been pushing the "drag is woman face" narrative lately. First they said, a man wearing makeup and dresses doesn't turn you into a woman and now they are saying if a man does wear makeup and dresses it's "woman face" lol and for all their talk about transgenders reducing women to stereotypes... they can't even keep up with their own BS arguments, and worse of all is how they are comparing this to blackface as if it's the same thing. Good, god, it just shows how unbelievably stupid they really are and their lack of comprehension on the history of drag. I've been following them for a few good few years now. At first I was with them on their views on transgenderism but recently I've grown tired of them, this and their harassment of high profile gay men, accusing them of either being pedophiles or pro pedophilia, abusing them whenever they start a family via surrogacy, and bemoaning that we are worse misogynist than straight men only to then have the gall to turn around and say "why aren't gay men supporting us?!" And you wonder why gay men aren't interested in your female problems. I've had enough of them and their homophobia. They may well be right on the trans issue but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 78September 24, 2019 9:09 PM

Even if drsg is not offensive, it's still kind of gross and painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 79September 24, 2019 9:16 PM

^^^ drag

by Anonymousreply 80September 24, 2019 9:16 PM

And another thing is a lot, if not all, of these feminists/gender criticals are left leaning. They like to claim because they are left they cannot be homophobic, yet they have no problem with calling out leftist men on their misogyny, again with their blatant hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 81September 24, 2019 9:19 PM

Most gay guys I’ve seen do drag for parties get bored with it after a few months.

ALL the ones who continue to do it are low-class morons who are in lousy jobs or unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 82September 24, 2019 9:23 PM

"At first I was with them on their views on transgenderism..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 24, 2019 9:29 PM

Blackface: Dressing and acting in an exaggerated manner, using stereotypical makeup and mannerisms in order to ridicule or otherwise make the butt of jokes a traditionally suppressed group of people. Usually done under the guise of good natured entertainment.

Drag: Dressing and acting in an exaggerated manner, using stereotypical makeup and mannerisms in order to ridicule or otherwise make the butt of jokes a traditionally suppressed group of people. Usually done under the guise of good natured entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 84September 24, 2019 9:33 PM

This shit is the beginning of something worse. Soon, gay guys having sex with men instead of women is going to be considered a misogynistic and sexist hate crime. Trust me, something awful is brewing in society, and cancel culture is just the horse it’s riding in on.

by Anonymousreply 85September 24, 2019 10:00 PM

If these idiots are going to say drag queens doing female impersonation is misogyny then by equal reason drag kings are misandrist for appropriating manhood. And given that most drag kings are lesbians, go tell Gladys Bentley, Stormé DeLarverie, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich...etc, how horribly offensive they have been for dressing up in tuxedos and top hats.

by Anonymousreply 86September 24, 2019 10:01 PM

^ Greta and Marlene only did it for half an hour.

by Anonymousreply 87September 24, 2019 10:06 PM

R85 That already happened. In the late sixties, a homophobic radical feminist group called Red Stockings emerged and declared gay men were misogynist for rejecting women in their dating pool.

by Anonymousreply 88September 24, 2019 10:24 PM

Link please, R88. (Because most radical feminists are not exactly hoping for MORE men-- of any kind-- "in their dating pool.")

by Anonymousreply 89September 24, 2019 10:29 PM

R84 Drag is a mockery of gender stereotypes, I.e. femininity/masculinity, not womanhood/manhood. Unless you think lipstick and high heels is what makes a woman a woman then you are the misogynist here.

by Anonymousreply 90September 24, 2019 10:31 PM

R89 Look it up, 'Redstockings of the Women's Liberation'.

by Anonymousreply 91September 24, 2019 10:36 PM

R89

Here you go. Im not the person who brought up Redstockins. Took seconds to find this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 24, 2019 10:57 PM

I see, [r90] so you are okay with blackface because it is mocking black racial stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 93September 24, 2019 11:14 PM

R93 Blackface was always intended to disparage African Americans. It was not an original performance art rooted in the Black community; it abused them for the amusement of Whites. Drag is an authentic gay entertainment with strongly political overtones and intended for a gay audience.

It's been coopted by straights for their amusement who now demand political correctness from gays of a gay art form.

by Anonymousreply 94September 25, 2019 12:13 AM

r47: There are plenty of fun costumes to wear that don't involve dressing up as a stereotype of someone else's ethnicity/race. That's just laziness and offensive the farther it's taken (e.g., "sexy squaw", brownface, etc).

r50: There's also yellowface. Same concept but yellow makeup to mimic/mock East Asians.

Girl Not Offended / r60 / r64 - The same argument you made in your "Girl Not Offended" post can be made in the two shit stirring posts at r60 and r64 that you curiously chose not to claim: The Wayans weren't making a blanket statement about white women as a whole but on two specific characters (Brittany & Tiffany) with their own motivations and their own stories to tell (trying to avoid kidnapping).

by Anonymousreply 95September 30, 2019 1:47 PM

Cancel culture is moving more and more towards right wing ideals morphing more and more into early stage Nazism with each passing day.

by Anonymousreply 96September 30, 2019 1:49 PM

It's already morphed.

by Anonymousreply 97September 30, 2019 1:55 PM

Drag...I mostly subscribe to John Mulaney's funny bit on drag, which is if you want to do it why is it always big and brassy women --like out of a Far Side cartoon? And then go around being loud and insulting. Seems their idea of being a woman is a lot like being a man...you could have forgone all the trouble to get dressed up if you were just going to be an asshole about it. It is a very clever bit. I would say it applies to a lot of trannies, too.

I will add I would NEVER date a drag queen, I would rather scratch my own eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 98September 30, 2019 2:03 PM

This old chestnut? Ugh... here we go again. Old as the wind.

by Anonymousreply 99September 30, 2019 2:04 PM

R97 One of the many reasons I plan on fleeing America after I finish college.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 30, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote]Is drag "girlface"?

When females do drag and dress like men is it “boyface”?

by Anonymousreply 101September 30, 2019 3:58 PM

No R101

Systems of oppression never flow in both directions (especially if you are white). Even if you are toothless and dirt poor.

Punching up is heroic, punching down is evil, and the devil will crap down your throat for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]r28 It's totally misogynistic. Gay men degrading women by exaggerating their most vulnerable characteristics.

Their eyelashes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]r37 Drag is usually political. Drag is dangerous.

Though it's also been said, [italic]"We're born naked. Everything else is drag."

by Anonymousreply 104September 30, 2019 9:56 PM

What an absurd notion, OP. It is THEATER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 4, 2019 3:30 PM

I'm trying ignore out and finding there are recent anti-trans posters who were posting anti-drag stuff on this thread from two years ago...

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2021 10:16 AM

Hilarious, R106, I started scrolling and I've got a bunch of people on ignore too, and their posts are from October 2019 apparently. They've been here forever.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2021 10:21 AM

I think it depends on the performer. Some of it is no different than blackface and really insulting bullshit. The older really camp stuff came more from admiration.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2021 10:23 AM

I think drag is probably at the bottom of the list of things women have to worry about right not

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2021 6:18 AM

R16 are you a lesbian? Because if you’re not why are you here?

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2021 6:27 AM

R94 in fairness, blackface was intended only for a white audience.

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2021 6:31 AM

They are clowns, pure and simple. Like all other clowns they appropriate a look and exaggerate it for comic effect. A talented drag queen can be inspiring and entertaining. They emulate the best in women. The others....

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2021 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!