Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Lennon/McCartney Thread

Stans and fanfic writers, rejoice! The rest of you can also rejoice as discussion will hopefully remain in this thread only.

The Paul is Dead/Beatles are Multiples Troll, please stay out. I’m asking nicely.

Please try to maintain a reasonable level of discussion. We can do better than “The Beatles were bi” threads.

by Anonymousreply 146July 26, 2021 12:24 AM

Paul is dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2019 12:23 AM

Paul and John sucked each other's cocks on the regular.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2019 12:46 AM

Yoko would scream "Beatles stop!"

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2019 4:35 AM

My favorite Beatles song is Rain. John wrote it after touring in Australia. They were put on a flat bed trailer and the weather was so severe that George? looses his umbrella at about 2:40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2019 4:42 AM

Starting Over was about Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2019 4:57 AM

This is a pretty detailed account of Lennon and McCartney’s relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2019 6:54 AM

R5 I think so too.

I'm linking the Oh Johnny Johnny song. The lyrics posted by commenters have errors because some of the words are hard to hear. What's definitely not an error is John singing "I love you, Paul".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2019 1:47 PM

Also consider the fact that they're recording a song about leaving town because they don't want to tell their fathers about their being together. Or is there another possible interpretation?

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2019 1:55 PM

They were friends since their teenage years, indeed they had a strong bond. I’d say Lennon was gay (probably had something with Stu and Epstein) but Paul? I’m not sure, if he is gay, he hides it pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2019 8:08 PM

Thank u for all your videos! Johnny johnny is such a cute song!

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2019 8:16 PM

Watch this video to the end. Paul gets very emotional about John while listening to Beautiful Boy. It tells you exactly how Paul felt about John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 8:55 PM

We had a thread about those two a couple of years ago, and there wasn't really a consensus, but the majority of people thought that McCartney was straight and Lennon was a severely conflicted Bi.

Which I can believe, Lennon was a mess in a lot of ways, and growing up bi and poor in mid-century Liverpool would have been just another Issue-with-a-capital-I among many. I would guess that if Lennon was bi it wasn't something he acted on much, but in his heart of hearts, Paul was his first spouse and Cynthia was an obligation. But Yoko was definitely the second spouse, fucked-up though their relationship was, he was deeply, DEEPLY attached to her.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2019 10:51 PM

John was not poor growing up. Ringo was. John spent most of his childhood with his aunt Mimi, who lived in a nice semidetached home in a leafy suburb. I’ve seen the house and it’s nice enough that I would live there now. His “working class hero” stance was posturing.

I found this quote from him that confirms it-

Despite the talk of Lennon being working-class — as were Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr — he refuted the idea by saying, "I was a nice clean-cut suburban boy, and in the class system I was about a half an inch in a higher class than Paul, George and Ringo, who lived in subsidised government houses. We owned our own house, had our own garden. They didn't have anything like that."[24] Lennon also said that Mendips was "a nice, semi-detached place, with a small garden and doctors and lawyers and that ilk living around ... not the poor slummy kind of image that was projected in all the Beatles' stories."[25] After Lennon became famous, Mimi would berate him for speaking in a strong Liverpudlian accent, but Lennon replied: "That's showbusiness, they want me to speak more Liverpool".[24]

But on the whole, yes he had lots of issues with a capital I. Being anything but straight would be a giant target on his back and it wasn’t until the 70s that he became more comfortable expressing that side of himself. Paul does come across as overall straight, I agree. But then he says some things....and they’re always about John. I will try and find some examples.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2019 4:40 PM

Mccartney had been hanging out w/ Oprah and Elton in some royal wedding... he looks gayer imo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2019 11:19 PM

"Mccartney had been hanging out w/ Oprah and Elton in some royal wedding... he looks gayer imo. "

Yeah, well, McCartney is a charter member of the Men Who Look Like Old Lesbians Club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2019 3:15 AM

R15 He looks his age, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2019 12:42 AM

Can u imagine if paul this year confess his bisexuality? (Let’s suposse he is) i think people wouldn’t like the beatles as before, and will be more gay jokes of him and john

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2019 1:10 AM

R15, that bad nose job makes it!

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2019 1:41 AM

READ THIS OMG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2019 1:11 PM

Paul McCartney: 'I dream about John Lennon a lot' In yersterday’s interview.... jesus

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2019 1:12 PM

"A lot of the talk was that I was the villain and that John and I didn't really get on well, and I kind of bought into it," he said, adding that he thinks about Lennon "quite often".

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2019 1:14 PM

Well duh. Everyone thinks about John Lennon quite often.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2019 1:26 PM

Why did Paul have rhinoplasty, I wonder? He didn't need it. Too much coke when he was younger?

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2019 1:28 PM

Actual Paul quote from Twitter q and a:

Florencia: Paul, you sing in the shower? Paul McCartney: Yes I do - 'Singing in the Rain' or 'It's Raining Men' or 'Waterfalls'!

Another actual Paul quote from Q magazine in the 90s:

Question: “If John Lennon came back for a day how would you spend it with him?”

Paul: “In bed”

Actual john quote regarding Paul (for context, the preceding quotes was John saying he was trying to put it round that he was gay, going to all the clubs)

Interviewer: “I’ve only heard that lately about Paul”

John: “Oh, I’ve had him, he’s no good”

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2019 8:22 PM

R23, I've had a couple of obvious theories since I first noticed it in the early 70s:

1) Paul wanted to lose the baby face look more grown up as he was nearing 30 and was a husband and father. A plastic surgeon must have convinced him a nose job would accomplish it.

2) Paul wanted to change his look to get away from Beatle Paul. For those who don't know, the Beatles split was acrimonious, all of them wanted out in a big way.

3) If there was a second Paul (ha ha ha) none of the above

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2019 9:31 PM

Thanks, R25 - I'll bet it was aging.

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2019 9:38 PM

I think John wanted to be Paul's lover but Paul rejected him. Paul has regretted that ever since.

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2019 2:07 AM

R27 maybe he regrets rejecting him? in all his interviews he says how much he misses him in a very non heterosexual way. imo the clues are there, people just don’t want to even consider they were a thing

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2019 5:05 AM

R27 and 28, maybe it's a case of "The only thing you regret when you're old are the things you didn't do".

I am also firmly convinced that absence has made McCartney's feelings grow fonder. For all Lennon's genius, he had to have been a massive pain in the ass when he was alive and around.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2019 5:48 AM

I use to believe that John and Paul were lovers, but now I've settled on that they only had an intense, perhaps transcendent platonic relationship that was possibly romantic/sexual on John's end alone. I remember going through Johnheartpaul and reading gossip about John and Paul's relationship from a few presumed industry insiders. They seemed to jump from whether it was an open secret in the music industry, to whether only the closest friends knew about the "relationship." I believe that if it were a well known secret in the industry, then DL would've had multiple threads about the topic besides the Beatles are Bi threads from a decade ago. So yeah, most likely platonic, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they were in fact lovers.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2019 11:26 AM

R26, McCartney WANTED to look older and less feminine, that's what the nose job did.

All of these questions to Paul about John Lennon...I agree with R29. Paul gives answers that he thinks the public wants to hear.

People are obsessed with the Lennon - McCartney friendship/collaboration, even assigning meaning to songs, like saying McCartney's song "Two of Us" is Paul's love song to John. In reality it's about Paul and Linda. Paul and John wrote songs together (or somewhat together) 50+ years ago - that over 50 YEARS ago. Paul has had his own adult (wife & kids) for the past 50. Believe me, he's not pinning over John, missing him desperately every day - that reads like a teen mag cover story where adolescents weep over it as if Paul has no life of his own.

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2019 12:19 PM

Well said, R31. No doubt Lennon played a major role in McCartney's life, but Paul has lived well over the majority of his life without John. And it's been a pretty productive, enriching life (minus hiccups like the Mills disaster) at that.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2019 12:45 PM

Yeah, people like to romanticize bands and imagine they're all the best of friends or lovers, living in each other's pockets in perfect intimacy, and not the co-workers or business partners they really are (or were).

Plus, McCartney is by all accounts a sane and sensible guy, and it does sound like Lennon was one of those intensely needy people who'd devour anyone who got too close. Whether they were friends or lovers, I wouldn't be surprised if McCartney deliberately kept a little distance between them, to protect himself, or held back from becoming lovers because he thought being more than friends would be a really bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2019 2:20 PM

I know Paul tells us what we want to hear and he has a set of stories he does not really deviate from. But if you read or watch Paul’s interviews you also notice that he brings up John repeatedly when the question has nothing to do with John or the Beatles. His anecdotes get sidetracked to fit John into them. The fact that he does that when it isn’t necessary is interesting. I’m sure his fans like to hear about John but they’re also not shippers and won’t care if he stops mentioning John 10 times in every interview.

Another thing that intrigues me is their first trip to Paris together. Obviously they could be just friends on a trip together, with John’s free birthday money. But why was it so special to both of them? To the point where in the 70s when John, May, Paul, and Linda were hanging out, Linda asked John “Don’t you miss England?” and John replied “Frankly, I miss Paris”. And for Paul, getting to heaven is a “journey to France, or to Spain through France. It’s a much better place, Paris”.

Both those quotes are from the linked article (which is great)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2019 10:29 PM

R34, Interesting regarding Paul's comments about Paris. I remember in about the year after Linda died, a tabloid posted photos of him strolling through Paris alone looking sad. Those photos seemed terribly intrusive and featured shots of him looking dejected next to the Seine. Clearly he was dealing with his loss, and it is interesting he went to Paris at least for a time to do it.

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2019 10:37 PM

I think they were friends and got stoned together a lot.

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2019 10:48 PM

R36 that much is stone cold fact and not under debate. The question relevant to this website is “were they lovers” and we will probably never receive an answer but it’s fun to think about. The logical thought is they were just best friends and maybe John wanted more but didn’t get it. However, some of the things they’ve both said are WTF-inducing and I’m just trying to mention those here.

Speaking of that: have you guys heard the song “Get Enough”? It was released this year without any promotion and it wasn’t on Paul’s latest album. Those who heard it mostly commented on Paul’s use of autotune. But here are the lyrics -

There was a time when we walked by the docks And I told you, "I need you all of my life" And watching the tugs rolling by together Do you remember? Do you remember the lights on the shore? How they reflected the rain on the road? I believed that you love me alone It was real, do you remember? Now and then I see your face I've been wanting a lovin’ embrace I've been looking for love, but it gets me nowhere Oh, yeah, yeah (Uh)

Get enough, get enough, get enough of (Your love, uh) Get enough, get enough, get enough of (Your love) I can't get enough of, of you

It was a time we were all full of hope Saw the future burning bright As we watched the moon rollin’ out to sea Do you remember? But those days are erased from my mind Yeah, I've left all those old days behind But still I remember your face forever, forever

Get enough, get enough, get enough of (Your love, uh) Get enough, get enough, get enough of (Your love) I can't get enough of, of you

Ooh Ah, ah Ah, ah I think maybe I should, go back to nature, traditional And reexamine the art that you've ever seen, tried and traditional I think it's time we all go together We all want more

Get enough, get enough, get enough, girl Get enough, get enough, get enough, girl I can't get enough, enough of you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 25, 2019 11:15 PM

R37, there's absolutely no indication that the lyrics about lost love above were written for Lennon, and not, say, for his beloved wife who died young. Young-ish.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2019 2:37 AM

Bump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2019 6:24 PM

Can someone please elaborate more on that Paris trip??

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2019 6:27 PM

Yoko has been very quiet these months too.... is she okay? come on yoko, spill the tea

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2019 6:28 PM

r40 you mean elaborate more than the article in r34?

This is unrelated but was in Philip Norman's book:

[quote] “From chance remarks he had made, she (Yoko) gathered there had even been a moment when—on the principle that bohemians should try everything—he had contemplated an affair with Paul, but had been deterred by Paul’s immovable heterosexuality. Nor, apparently, was Yoko the only one to have picked up on this. Around Apple, in her hearing, Paul would sometimes be called John’s Princess. She had also once heard a rehearsal tape with John’s voice calling out “Paul … Paul …” in a strangely subservient, pleading way. “I knew there was something going on there,” she remembers. “From his point of view, not from Paul’s. And he was so angry at Paul, I couldn’t help wondering what it was really about.”

[quote] John Lennon: The Life

Immovable heterosexuality. In some parallel universe that will be the title of my memoir.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2019 1:25 AM

Other quotes because I can copy-paste:

‘John had a chocolate bar, and he shared it with me. And he didn’t give me some of his chocolate bar. He didn’t give me a square of his chocolate bar. He didn’t give me a quarter of his chocolate bar. He gave me half of his chocolate bar. And that’s why the Beatles started right there.’ Isn’t that fantastic? It’s the most important story about the Beatles, and it’s in none of the books!’ -Paul

“John and I grew up like twins although he was a year and a half older than me. We grew up literally in the same bed because when we were on holiday, hitchhiking or whatever, we would share a bed. Or when we were writing songs as kids he’d be in my bedroom or I’d be in his. Or he’d be in my front parlour or I’d be in his, although his Aunt Mimi sometimes kicked us out into the vestibule!” -Paul

Paul used to come to my front door. He’d lean his bike against the fence and look over at me with his sheep eyes and say ‘Hello, Mimi. Can I come in?’ ‘No, you certainly cannot,’ I’d say. -Mimi

“It was the Easter school holidays and John and I had hitchhiked down from Liverpool to help out in the pub. We generally dossed around for a week and worked behind the bar. Then Mike said that me and John should play there on the Saturday night. So we made our own posters and put them up in the pub: “Saturday Night – Live Appearance – The Nerk Twins.” -Paul

When I caught sight of him, when John brought him home for the first time, I thought “Oh-ho, look what the cat’s dragged in.” He seemed so much younger than John–and John was always picking up waifs and strays. I thought “Here we go again, John Lennon… another Shotton.” […] He was well-mannered–too well-mannered. He was what we call in Liverpool “talking posh” and I thought he was taking the mickey out of me, John’s little friend, Mr Charming.I used to tease John by saying “chalk and cheese”, meaning how different they were, and John would start hurling himself around the room like a wild dervish shouting “Chalkandcheese! Chalkandcheese!” with this stupid grin on his face” - Mimi

"I could even hear what they were saying off-mike; ‘Oh Paul, you’re so cute tonight.’ was met with the reply ‘Sod off, Lennon.’" -Joan Baez on accompanying the Beatles to their concert in Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Denver. 26 August 1964 oko Ono (she needs no introduction)

This is from the White Album session:

“After the initial embarrassment, that how Paul is being very nice to me, he’s nice and a very, str- on the level, straight, sense, like wherever there’s something like happening at the Apple, he explains to me, as if I should know. And also whenever there’s something like they need a light man, or something like that he asks me if I know of anybody, things like that. And like I can see that he’s just now suddenly changing his attitude, like his being, he’s treating me with respect, not because it’s me, but because I belong to John. I hope that’s what it is because that would be nice. And I feel like he’s my younger brother or something like that. I’m sure that if he had been a woman or something, he would have been a great threat, because there’s something definitely very strong with me, John, and Paul. And… And probably among those three people of George and Ringo and Paul. Paul is the one I feel the vibration, sort of sense it… You know, ‘cause Ringo and George, I just can’t communicate. I mean, I’m sure that George and Ringo, they’re very nice people. That’s not the point. (Yoko Ono)

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2019 1:48 AM

come on people! paul days ago declared he dreams about lennon all the time. he always talks about him even when people don’t bring this topic to the conversation. i can’t believe we are in 2019 and paul and yoko are still very quiet.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2019 7:38 PM

It's possible to have an overwhelming affect on someone's life, without being a lover.

And yes, if I had a professional relationship with someone that led to me being world famous, creatively fulfilled, and rich beyond the dream of avarice, I'd think about that person all the time. Talk about them, too.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2019 9:47 PM

SHIT! Is that the demented "paste quotes" Ryan O'Neal troll at R43????

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2019 1:07 AM

Agree, R45. An important factor was that only the two of them would have understood what that staggering level of fame felt like. They came from similar backgrounds and they became famous beyond imagining in their 20s and stayed that way forever. As if that wouldn't throw you together in a "no-one else will ever quite understand me like you can" scenario. You wouldn't need to be lovers.

by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2019 1:34 PM

where i can read more about these two? i read all the beatles were bi thread and most of you said we will have to wait until paul and/or yoko are dead and then someone will finally talk

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2019 8:00 PM

Ai ai ai ai ai ai ai ai ai ai!

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2019 8:19 PM

I think no one posted this song here yet. Basically paul and john sing about a forbidden love between two guys who are going to leave everything just to be together. Lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2019 12:14 AM

here is the same song but uploaded on beatles youtube official channel and w/ better quality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 12:18 AM

You're dreaming, R50

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2019 12:59 AM

R51 I didn’t know it was on their official channel. Too bad hardly anyone’s listened to it.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2019 9:30 PM

elton john slept with his manager, same w/ lennon and brian. why is that? maybe the close bond between business and friendship gets mixed and brings sexual tension?

by Anonymousreply 54October 30, 2019 4:29 AM

R54 Probably the attraction/sexual tension was part of the reason the managers were drawn to taking them on in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 55October 30, 2019 1:13 PM

No, R55, I doubt that's why a manager would sleep with Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 56October 30, 2019 4:25 PM

Epstein wanted to be with him since always but lennon finally agreed years later?

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2019 1:36 AM

R57 No Lennon went with him for a brief vacation in '63 probably so he could get that "Lennon/McCartney" credit. Prior to that they'd agreed to change the order of the names, for example the first album had all the songs credited to McCartney/Lennon. After that vacation Paul was told that from now it was going to be Lennon/McCartney and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2019 2:08 AM

Paul once said in an interview, when questioned about JL's sexuality, that he doubted it and that JL had never made a pass at him.

by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2019 2:26 AM

R58 lennon i do congratulate you, seducing your manager just to get what you want. well, paul and lennon force pete best and stuart(well, it was probably just Paul here) to leave the band.

by Anonymousreply 60October 31, 2019 1:35 PM

Imagine my surprise that this thread is still active. You may say I’m a dreamer, etc.

Here’s an interesting John interview (he interviews himself). Hopefully the link works. This is part 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2019 12:30 AM

Part 2

“There was talk about you and PAUL”

Of course, he doesn’t answer the question he asks himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2019 12:36 AM

Thank you R62 ! Here are some parts for who are lazy to read it:

John talking about partying in LA: “I never actually laid a hand on everyone, it fact, it was impossible, i was carried out....” And after that they ask him if his new album is about Paul too (Glad to know journalist always take for granted all of John’s works are dedicated to him). in the second page, they asked him directly “have you ever fucked a guy?” How subtle huh. And John answered “not yet, maybe in my 40s, life begins at 40” oh boy... another question is he slept with Paul and he replied “oh i thought people asked about me and Epstein”. He clearly avoids talking about Paul’s here... and at the end of the interview the journalist said John was wearing Mick Jagger’s clothes.

by Anonymousreply 63November 4, 2019 2:35 PM

You’re welcome, r63 but I should point out that it’s a self-interview so he’s asking himself those questions.

This is Paul’s stepsister on their chemistry/friendship.

“…and Paul? Well, call me crazy, but he lost the wife. I’m certainly not implying anything of a carnal nature here, but to almost all intents and porpoises (as John would have put it), what they had was a marriage. On the afternoon of July 6, 1957, right across the street from the ossuary of a certain spinster called Eleanor Rigby, an unsuspecting schoolboy named Ivan Vaughn, lad about town, villain of Vale Street and part-time tea chest bassist, took a chubby 15-year-old Paul McCartney to listen to local ‘legends in their own lunchtime’ - the band they called The Quarry Men. The group was headed by a sexy, sardonic closet nice-guy, the almost 17-year-old John Winston Lennon with his £17 guitar. John and Paul were meant to meet, meant to create and one was designed to play sturm and drang to the other’s yin and yang. Then on the February 9, 1964, Ed Sullivan shone the proverbial light on the viewing public. The long night was over. The Beatles had conquered America. For the next two and a half years, John and Paul, (together with George and Ringo), would travel, eat, rehearse, write, play, record and “sleep” (again, not literally) together.” — Paul’s stepsister Ruth McCartney - The Chemistry of Lennon & McCartney

by Anonymousreply 64November 4, 2019 10:05 PM

R64 Nice find.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2019 2:27 AM

R64 thank you, very interesting! Her sister basically implied more of these two... also i was searching about Stuart’s sister too... and she became really quiet these last ten years. After all the scandal of her accusing Lennon of murder, she suddenly stop talking, before that she said she was selling his brother’s diary . Any news on that? Maybe paul is giving her money to stop talking?

by Anonymousreply 66November 5, 2019 4:59 PM

Pauline Surcliffe died today. RIP. Guess we will never know all her secrets related to Stuart and Lennon.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2019 12:42 AM

Oh no, RIP. Where did you hear this news about her death?

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2019 2:37 AM

Here is the link. RIP Pauline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2019 3:54 PM

That's someone named Pauline Stuart, not Pauline Sutcliffe and it says her maiden name was Milligan and she's from Arkansas. Is there any evidence she's actually Stuart's sister?

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2019 11:27 PM

Maybe it was a mistake? Well, good news everyone, pauline is still alive but she is still quiet about Stuart’s and john’s love affair! Wohoo

by Anonymousreply 71November 9, 2019 5:03 PM

Paul released two new songs. Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 72November 25, 2019 6:47 PM

Just listened to them. They’re certainly upbeat. No Lennon/McCartney visible to me though. Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2019 12:24 AM

Has anyone seen this yet? The Beatles attempt the play within a play in The Midsummer Night’s Dream. John and Paul play the lovers Pyramus and Thisbe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2019 2:20 AM

R73 listen to “Home tonight”! some McLennon fans think it’s about the John’s LSD night incident (when Paul take him to his home and take LSD together) but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2019 3:57 PM

R74 yes, it’s a lovely video! Did anyone know if people in the 60s shipped them? (Yes, i know homosexuality was illegal until 1967 in UK. But still, i’d love to know what the fans talked back then)

by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2019 3:59 PM

R76 Most Americans didn't know about the Beatles until they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964, where it was made clear that Lennon was married, so not bloody likely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2019 7:02 PM

Where do I find this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2019 9:48 PM

R78 Here's the gif referenced in the comments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2019 10:07 PM

R75 i listened and read the lyrics. Not seeing it, personally. Looks like he's singing about contemporary times, but I suppose I can't read his mind. "Get enough" sounds more John-related to me but obviously others disagree.

R76 I'm sure some gaylings and girls had thoughts along those lines, but how would they share them with others? It tickles me though that loads of boys showed up in the audience in France to stan for Ringo, who sang "Boys". I'm not buying Paul's statement that "it was totally an innocent song choice, honestly".

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2019 2:46 AM

I've been told that "slash" fan fiction started with the Trekkies, in the early seventies. They were a large fandom who were in touch with each other through a network of fan clubs and fanzines, and they had enough of a network for a subset of the fandom to get into sharing homoerotic fan-fiction along with more mainstream stuff.

As for the Beatles fandom... back when they were together, I think their fandom consisted mostly of mainstream heterosexuals, or people who were on too many drugs to organize the sharing of fan fiction. Did they have a lot of gay fans back in the day? I haven't heard that they had.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2019 7:55 AM

R80 why boys decided to stan for ringo? i’ve never heard of that! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2019 6:00 PM

R81 one thing that i don’t understand, where the heck are the beatles fangirls now? i couldn’t find anything, a testimony or something like “oh yes i was a groupie and slept with the four of them” or “i went to all their concerts and we were a group of X “? Where are this interviews?

by Anonymousreply 83November 30, 2019 6:04 PM

Anyone here read Beatlebone by Kevin Barry? Absolute masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 84November 30, 2019 6:07 PM

They fucked. What of it?

by Anonymousreply 85November 30, 2019 6:23 PM

DEAD, R83

by Anonymousreply 86November 30, 2019 6:30 PM

That is odd, R83, the old groupies of the seventies are all over the internet, bragging about all the dick they got back in the day, and the Beatles groupies not so much. But then, being a groupie was cool in the seventies and the top groupies even got a small amount of media attention in their own right, not so in the sixties.

by Anonymousreply 87November 30, 2019 7:58 PM

R80 i was paying attention to Get Enough lyrics (while trying to ignore all the autotune...) and you’re right. It is a very mclenonny song. It’s about a past love in his life. Maybe he’s talking about The Beatles in general, Linda, or I don’t know... maybe... JOHN. Paul is very ambiguous in his songs meanings.

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2019 1:39 AM

R84 can you please tell us more about the book? Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2019 1:42 AM

I was reading all the youtube’s comments on the Get Enough video and most of us think it’s dedicated to John. What a shame he decided to add “get enough girl” at the end...

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2019 1:48 AM

The song’s tape had scribbled on it “For paul”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2019 2:36 AM

“Q: How tough was it for a groupie to get past the Beatles’ security?

BONIS: Almost impossible. In ‘65 and ‘66 we carried ex-FBI guys to stay by the elevator. Brian was super super worried about their image.You couldn’t get in unless it was something like Seattle, where girls were hiding in the bathroom.

Q: What about stories about orgies taking place on the tour and hookers being brought back to the hotel rooms after the concert?

BONIS: One discjockey, thinking he’d so a favor, did bring a bunch back in Atlantic City, and the Beatles wouldn’t touch them. So what happened is, the press and the discjockeys took care of the young ladies. Brian was super conscious of anything the press would love to grab, and it would be that of course.

Q: So what would the Beatles do after a concert, when they were back in their hotel rooms?

BONIS: In Atlantic City we saw a couple of movies or we’d play cards. In Atlantic City I went out went out and got a Monopoly set. We’d play that for hours.

Q: Did the Beatles get on each other’s nerves a lot? They were always so closely confined in their hotel rooms.

BONIS: No, it was surprising. They always had a suite. George and Ringo stayed together in one room, and John and Paul in the other bedroom, and a big, big room in between.”

- Interview with Bob Bonis

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2019 3:04 AM

That's funny they always said, so as not to cause rivalry, that John and George would room together and Paul and Ringo would room together( having a main songwriter and not main songwriter, so George and Ringo wouldn't feel like they were being shut out haha). But with a suite of rooms of course, they can switch around however they want once it's actually time for bed. :)

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2019 3:13 AM

R85 Steinman Insider, welcome. I remember reading your posts about this topic last year.

R84 I have. I enjoyed it, except for the part with the hippies in the hotel, which got tiresome.

R89 it's a book about a journey John may have undertaken to go see his private island in Ireland. It's trippy, and based in some degree of fact but the mental stuff is all the author, none of it is directly from John.

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2019 4:43 AM

Q: What about stories about orgies taking place on the tour and hookers being brought back to the hotel rooms after the concert?

BONIS: One discjockey, thinking he’d so a favor, did bring a bunch back in Atlantic City, and the Beatles wouldn’t touch them. So what happened is, the press and the discjockeys took care of the young ladies. Brian was super conscious of anything the press would love to grab, and it would be that of course.

_______________ Gurl, please. Maybe they were on their best behavior for a day or two but they themselves have said there were lots of women for the taking on tours.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2019 4:58 AM

I don't believe that the Beatles were sharing hotel rooms on tour, not once they hit it big in America and were making money.

by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2019 4:09 PM

r89 Is based on the true story of John ( Just post Primal Therapy) buying an Island off the west coast of Ireland in the hope of starting a community in the 70s. Its very funny and weird.

by Anonymousreply 97December 2, 2019 10:06 PM

Is it true both wore matching silver bracelets?

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2020 1:29 AM

Oh yeah, R98. They wrote their undying devotion to each other on matching BRACELETS.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2020 1:00 AM

Whatever their sexual orientation, IMHO Lennon was the needier half of their relationship by a long shot, and as such he could be almost as possessive and dramatic and insecure as he was with his women.

Yes, some messy people are like that with their friends, even if they never want to be anything more than friends.

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2020 7:53 AM

did john have sex with magic alex? there are tons of pictures of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2020 8:17 PM

john lennon and magic alex being flaming heterosexuals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 8:18 PM

Who was Magic Alex?

Lennon's drug dealer?

by Anonymousreply 103January 25, 2020 4:47 AM

Drug dealer? Try con artist (who eventually failed upwards). "Magic Alex" was the hustler to end all hustlers, or so it would seem. See his Wikipedia link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 26, 2020 1:21 PM

R104 “ He impressed John Lennon with the Nothing Box“ oh okay....

by Anonymousreply 105January 26, 2020 4:42 PM

Just you and me... and yoko

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 26, 2020 4:45 PM

The only Beatles song I've ever been able to stand is "Think For Yourself" from the March 1997 Gap In-Store Playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 26, 2020 4:46 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 108October 11, 2020 4:50 AM

I'll give r107 this: good song. (It's by George, though, so off-topic.)

by Anonymousreply 109October 13, 2020 2:46 AM

If you play "Crippled Inside" backward, you can hear Lennon saying, "I blew Paul. I blew Paul. Mmmm."

by Anonymousreply 110October 13, 2020 3:25 AM

How does this thread have 79 views and 110 posts?

by Anonymousreply 111October 14, 2020 1:11 AM

R4 R24 R40

I miss the Steinman-Insider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 2, 2021 6:05 AM

R98, one of the Pauls had to wear a medical bracelet. He’s the one with the fucked up hands and missing toes.

by Anonymousreply 113January 2, 2021 6:37 AM

[quote]lennon i do congratulate you, seducing your manager just to get what you want.

Sickening.

by Anonymousreply 114January 2, 2021 8:55 AM

There’s only a gay explanation for this.

"I Don’t Know (Johnny, Johnny)", 1960:

Paul: Well now, Johnny Johnny, oh Johnny Johnny, Oh Johnny Johnny, Johnny Johnny, Johnny Johnny, oh lord, Johnny boy. How we gonna tell ‘em? Why don’t we go and keep on home? Well, well, Johnny, my boy. Why don’t we go and tell ‘em what we’re after? Johnny, ooooh Johnny Johnny boy, tell them the message of ours. Oh, Johnny, well, you got me, will you be my boy? Hey, take it, John. Ha!

John: Oh little boy, packing my shoes, as if I’m not gonna lose you.

Paul: I don’t know what I’m gonna do when I tell my father ya want me, Johnny.

John: I love you, Paul! Aaaaahh

John: I don’t know x6, know, know, know, know. Well, I’ll just survive. Turn your head from somebody else’s kiss. I’m gonna leave, I’m leaving with you. Yeah, someday x4

Paul: Well, I’ll tell ya (John: Yeeaaaaah) Well, I’ll tell ya, you’re all I want, you’re all I want, you’re all I want

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 5, 2021 10:26 PM

R115 have you listened to the song yourself? I’m not hearing what they’re hearing on several occasions.

Which is not to say it’s a suspect song, it is.

Anyone else want to take a stab at the lyrics?

by Anonymousreply 116January 5, 2021 11:33 PM

John and Paul are having a laugh with that "Oh Johnny" song, they are not confessing their same-sex feelings for each other.

Homosexuality was illegal in Britain until 1967, and at least Lennon (not sure about McCartney), used to make fun of homosexuals all the time in his "early years."

I doubt he was hiding some torrid love affair with McCartney at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 117January 5, 2021 11:40 PM

I buried Paul. I buried Paul.

by Anonymousreply 118January 5, 2021 11:46 PM

The Mclennon Series1-9, Understanding Lennon/McCartney.............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 7, 2021 3:05 PM

The Mclennon Series 1-9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 7, 2021 3:07 PM

Paul McCartney never existed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 7, 2021 4:19 PM

Paul was John's princess.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 20, 2021 6:23 PM

All I can tell ya is what I know. And what I know is, it is at least widely believed to have been the case by most people in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 123January 20, 2021 7:17 PM

I missed you, Steinman-Insider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2021 8:08 PM

"John and I went to Paris on birthday money he received from a relative. He must have been fond of me to spend that money. He let me have all the banana milkshakes I wanted."

- Paul McCartney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 22, 2021 6:12 PM

A Gemini (Paul) & a Libra (John), hard to think of a more duplicitous pairing. Of course, Paul the true talent and Gemini had John the lying Libra peacock steal his thunder. Everyone acts like John was some savant but he was mildly talented and was just good at leaching off people, first Paul then Yoko. Now Yoko can’t sing for shit but she’s a talented writer. Yoko is an Aquarius, they’re all air signs.

by Anonymousreply 126January 22, 2021 6:36 PM

Did you bitches miss this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 22, 2021 6:37 PM

R126 gurl did you just come for me?

by Anonymousreply 128January 22, 2021 6:58 PM

R126 Hi, Paul!

by Anonymousreply 129January 22, 2021 6:58 PM

R97 is that what Jared Leto did? Start a teenaged-girl cult on some island?

by Anonymousreply 130January 22, 2021 7:34 PM

This song "Oh! Darling" ( Oh! Johnny) , the desperate and dramatic, heartfelt letter that Paul McCartney wrote in 1969 as a last attempt for a reconciliation with John before the inminent break up.

"Some takes of the recordings show how Paul tried to change the line 'Oh Darling' with 'Oh Johnny'."

"Paul wrote "Oh Darling" after John telling him he was leaving The Beatles....he actually cried the rest of the day after being driven home by Mal Evans".- Mojo Magazine March 2007

Getting chills from hearing Paul's raw vocals:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 23, 2021 1:50 AM

I hope we can see this iconic moment in Peter Jackson's "Get Back":

January 26th, 1969: Paul arrives at the studio accompanied by Linda and Heather just as George and Ringo are working out the melody for ‘Octopus’s Garden’ on the piano. John, who has been playing around on drums, chimes in none too discreetly with a question he’s been eager to ask Paul:

JOHN: "Hey! Did you dream about me last night?"

PAUL:" [long pause] I can’t remember."

JOHN: "Very strong dream. We both dreamt about it. It was amazing! Different dreams, you know, but I thought you must’ve been there. [inaudible] I was touching you. [inaudible]"

PAUL: "Nothing to worry about, though?"

JOHN: "Nothing to worry about, no."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 27, 2021 10:07 PM

What was going on in this pic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133February 9, 2021 9:07 PM

"It's a well known fact they were buggering each other for many years at the start of it all. They got spooked when room service at the Fontainebleau caught them in a comprising position." Ringo, 1970.

by Anonymousreply 134July 5, 2021 9:36 PM

I buried Paul. I buried Paul.

by Anonymousreply 135July 5, 2021 9:37 PM

R134 Haha nice fanfic and Ringo would have been the last person to blab his mates' secrets.

by Anonymousreply 136July 5, 2021 10:02 PM

"Cranberry sauce', [R18].

by Anonymousreply 137July 6, 2021 12:13 AM

r136 is correct, Rich would never talk. As for Paul, well... the latest scuttlebutt is he's written some stuff down, and it'll be up to his brood what to do with it (presumably posthumously) after reading.

by Anonymousreply 138July 6, 2021 3:18 PM

NORWEGIAN WOOD

by Anonymousreply 139July 6, 2021 3:27 PM

"...and Ringo would have been the last person to blab his mates' secrets."

Yeah. If John and Paul were really lovers, the only person who might ever confirm that is McCartney, and that's not all that likely. Ringo would never say anything that would hurt anyone's feelings or alter the legacy that someone would have wanted, and he's the only other one left.

So if Paul wants to come out in old age or postumously, great, but if he doesn't - he doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 140July 6, 2021 5:49 PM

I wonder if Paul's waiting for Yoko to "depart" before he talks. She's pretty litigious.

by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2021 5:20 AM

It'd be a pretty counterproductive lawsuit. If Paul had a full-on love affair with John, Yoko wouldn't know how much proof he could produce - especially with Ringo still alive. Or how endless the funds he would have with which to fight her in court.

What she WOULD know is that he could attract world attention to anything he wanted to say on the subject without even having to click his fingers.

Paul is probably just keeping private something that matters to him, whether it was sexual or not. He comes from the time before everyone needed to blab everything they ever thought or felt to the world. Besides, he would probably argue that everything he ever wanted to communicate widely is in his songs. The fact that he knows what they mean to him, but they can only be interpreted by others and never pinned down as autobiographical of a particular incident, is the whole point. It's how creative people always communicated before Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2021 5:54 AM

McCartney 3, 2, 1 on Hulu, July 16. Six episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2021 8:44 PM

Some great images in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2021 8:47 PM

I’d definitely read anything Paul would put out in book form about his relationship with John. However, I do not think anything like that will be forthcoming. Paul has already let the car out of the bag in his songs and interviews already.

I myself don’t need any further proof and after vacillating about the did-they/didn’t-they I’m quite convinced they did.

by Anonymousreply 145July 26, 2021 12:08 AM

Looks interesting r143! I'll have to check it out. Interesting format. 6 episode....docuseries? I'm a musician and hearing musicians talk about the music-making process is absolute catnip for me. I love hearing "studio stories" & how songs are created.

by Anonymousreply 146July 26, 2021 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!