Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Charles Laughton hate Laurence Olivier so much?

In many of his interviews about "Spartacus" Peter Ustinov says that Charles Laughton had an almost animalistic hatred for Laurence Olivier. He gives many examples but never specifies why. "When you get two dogs that growl at each other, you don’t really ask why, you just accept it," he says, elusively.

I wonder if there wasn't maybe a young man involved at the beginning of this hatred. We know that both great man had a soft spot for that kind of love. What does DL know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2019 11:20 PM

larry wouldn't let Charles rim him...

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 5:28 PM

Olivier had less talent but more beauty than Laughton. So jealousy, for starters. Just a guess.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 5:43 PM

Olivier was an awful person.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 5:46 PM

Maybe Olivier refused to give Laughton a poop sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 5:56 PM

He wouldn’t share his snails.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 6:05 PM

Here is a long interview with Ustinov where he discusses some of the Spartacus filming, the Laughton story starts about 8:00 minutes in, followed by a funny tourist story with Laughton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 6:53 PM

I love Ustinov's storytelling. He's just so engaging, and the anecdotes here are hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 6:55 PM

I can’t say I know much about the Laughton-Olivier relationship, but I gather Peter Sellers hated Olivier’s style of acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 7:16 PM

Homophobic, ageist attacks maybe.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 7:18 PM

Homofobic frim whom, R9? Both were quite gay/bi.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 7:20 PM

Laughton is the perfect example of the classic eldergay. Spartacus is such a great camp fest - to see him surrounded by a bevy of beautiful men while flaming it up to high heaven in a caftan... I mean, toga.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 7:25 PM

Ustinov's impression of Laughton is hilarious, and so spot on.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 7:29 PM

R7 Ustinov is one of those people I will always watch when I come across an interview, Orson Welles is another, although I understand that Welles often liked to embellish stories and some are outright fabrications, but still it is fun to listen to them.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 7:34 PM

I must say, Olivier was unbelievably sexy in Spartacus. Probably the rawest sexual energy he's ever exuded (and quite intentionally gay too). Purebred patrician, merciless and easy in his power which he wears as naturally as his own skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 7:49 PM

Olivier got more cock and didn’t have to pay for it maybe?

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 8:03 PM

Well, as someone said above, if you have eyes, you'll know why....two (literal) drama queens, and one was gorgeous and one looked like a toad.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 8:55 PM

I'd still rather watch Laughton any day.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 9:16 PM

I wonder which of them got the hot black gladiator,

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2019 3:38 AM

I always loved Laugton & Elsa Lanchester for the fact they chose to live their lives in the US. Neither of them seemed the type of Brit who would enjoy life here, especially living smack dab in Hollywood. They had a funky house, half Spanish hacienda, half English castle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2019 4:05 PM

Their previous house was on the market back in 2016 for close to $20 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2019 4:07 PM

I watched the delightful interview with Peter Ustinov, and learned that underneath his toga, Charles Laughton kept a thermos of beef bullion mixed with vodka.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2019 8:29 PM

Laughton was the superior actor, by far. Olivier wasn't a particularly capable actor, but he had Screen Presence - which covered a multitude of acting sins. Between that, and being very good-looking, Olivier had his pick of the lead roles. Laughton, with all the talent but none of the looks, had to work for every part. It would have been more of a surprise if they had been friends.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2019 8:51 PM

I remember reading an article about Lancaster where she would find Laughton in bed with strange men he brought home.- on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2019 8:51 PM

The insufferable pretty boy gay and the more talented but not pretty gay not getting along?

Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2019 8:55 PM

What R23 ? Laughton lived with Burt Lancaster?

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2019 9:04 PM

Peter Ustinov can't do a very good American accent at r6.

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2019 9:09 PM

sorry, Elsa Lanchester

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2019 9:11 PM

Laughton was an odd actor. He was extremely ugly even when he was young, and he naturally had a thick Yorkshire accent that made many English people think he was excessively common and backwards. He worked against these handicaps his entire life, but he was always depressed.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2019 9:17 PM

As the late great Charles Ludlam said: When queens collide....

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2019 11:08 PM

Olivier was a cunt

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2019 11:09 PM

There's a lot of ignorance on display here. But if you read the sensible accounts you'll find out that the rivalry was caused by—

1. The completely normal competitiveness of two actors wanting the best roles.

2. They were both stars at the OLD Vic in the 30s but Laughton abandoned his people and slummed it out in sunny La-La Land for two decades. They tried to have a rapprochement at a season at the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in 1959 but (as everyone knows) Laughton was notoriously precious and Olivier wouldn't accommodate his Laughton's neuroses.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2019 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!