Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mad Men

I'm rewatching the series and was thoroughly enjoying it and then BAM, Season 4 and Megan and her teeth arrive and I've lost interest, now it's just on in the background while I do other things. Anyone else have an aversion to Megan?

Also, here's Don and Betty Draper as you've never seen them before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 29, 2020 5:23 PM

I never understood the point of Megan or why she was brought onto the show. She and Don had zero chemistry. Her teeth annoyed me. And Weiner seemed to have a hard-on for her and put her in every scene he possibly could.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 3:01 AM

I don’t get the hate for Megan. She seemed sweet. And she was brought on because she is Dons new woman. Not hard to get.

Some couples seem cold but they love each other.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 3:02 AM

I think the point was that Don was doomed in all his relationships until he came clean about his true self.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 3:04 AM

Could never stand her. I liked they dynamic of Don and Betty. They should have kept them as the dysfunctional couple. Betty's second husband also had zero chemistry with her but I think that was planned to show her just wanting security.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 3:06 AM

[quote] Megan and her teeth arrive

We LOVE them.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 3:07 AM

The fainting couch, my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 3:10 AM

Betty is an awful character

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 3:10 AM

I liked Megan at first, she was VERY much what a second wife would have been at the time.

But I felt she was kept around way longer than she should have been.

Mad Men suffered from a similar fate as Downton Abbey. The show had about 3-4 seasons of juice but there's a middle part that got soft and boring when they were treading water until the end. MM wasn't quite as bad or boring but it did have some weakness in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 3:11 AM

Jon Hamm as Don Draper was devastatingly handsome. Jon Hamm as Jon Hamm is a butterface.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 3:13 AM

Zou bisou bisou

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 3:19 AM

R10 That's what I was going to say. You stole my thunder. Best catch phrase in the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote] Betty is an awful character

I loved her. I totally knew that woman, she was our neighbor across the street.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 3:21 AM

January Jones was great during the shows second season. That was her season. After that she was useless.

It’s a shame I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 3:23 AM

Wearing white after Labor Day is the least of Jon Hamm’s problems.

Certainly he can afford clothes that fit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 3:27 AM

Jon Hamm has a creepy smile but I loved him as Don.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 3:31 AM

R15 Probably because he's a creepy guy. He tortured some guy in college and yet it's never mentioned and he has a booming career.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 3:34 AM

Jon Hamm keeps doing these horrible commercials. He will never be a leading man in movies.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 3:39 AM

I agree Jon is only attractive as Don Draper, otherwise his goofy grin is repellent and he looks like he has FAS upper lip area.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 3:40 AM

Yes, his smile is weird and doofy.

He was only sexy as Draper.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 3:45 AM

I think Hollywood doesn’t know what to do with him, sort of a Taylor Kitsch syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 4:33 AM

I’m rewatching season 1 and forgot how creepy Glen was with Betty. Isn’t that Weiner’s son?

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2019 12:45 AM

I forgot about the Glen character.

But she was just as creepy with him.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote] I loved her. I totally knew that woman, she was our neighbor across the street.

There was a whole thread devoted to Betty Draper. Every Datalounger's mother has at least a little in common with Betty Draper. She is the root of our collective dysfunction.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2019 12:53 AM

I get the premise of Meagan, but she was too goofy for my taste. I thought Betty was so beautiful and sleek. Oddly she ended up having more depth at the end than Meagan, who just became an LA party girl with pretensions. At least Betty never tried to be hip; she was a woman of her generation and had dignity.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2019 12:54 AM

Meagan was younger than Betty....

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2019 12:55 AM

The guy in the background doing the dance moves is very good, including his facial expressions - he should have a career in show business.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2019 1:34 AM

Why couldn't Don stay faithful FFS?

Meghan served as unintended comic relief. That ridiculous scene where she's "erotic cleaning."

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2019 1:36 AM

Betty was a loony bitch. Any man would cheat on her.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2019 1:38 AM

Don didn't only cheat on Betty.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2019 1:40 AM

[quote]There was a whole thread devoted to Betty Draper. Every Datalounger's mother has at least a little in common with Betty Draper. She is the root of our collective dysfunction.

Well, maybe for the eldergays. The rest of us had working mothers who were shaped by the feminist movement. They were nothing like Betty Draper.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2019 1:40 AM

January Jones' success as an actress baffles me. The Onion said it best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2019 1:41 AM

January Jones is awful, a whore, and a racist.

Betty was annoying.

Don is a true testament to many men in that period with a lot of money in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2019 1:45 AM

R32 is either Claudia Schiffer or Olivia Wilde

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2019 1:53 AM

Betty was a bad mother.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2019 2:22 AM

Betty was awful all around.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2019 2:22 AM

So handsome but a bit of a gayface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2019 3:16 PM

His face isn’t even that handsome

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2019 3:21 PM

You had an idea of what the show was and it changed - moved further into the 60s. Betty was very 50s/early 60s. Teefs was right for the times - think Jane Birkin, etc. Don was nothing if not "with the zeitgeist". Teefs grew on me, challenged Don, and her mother was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2019 3:40 PM

Jon Hamm reminds me of Guy Smiley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2019 3:46 PM

Megan was such a buck-toothed phony baloney with all her acting aspirations-- and how Don saw her as trophy wife material is beyond me as he certainly had his pick. She would have been only suitable as the nanny he could pity fuck now and then in between affairs.

The homely copywriter bitch with the hairbands got on my nerves, too, but Don didn't fuck her.

As for Betty, I liked her character --and loved her clothes. Her icy demeanor conveyed just how repressed and angry she was inside.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2019 4:42 PM

If there is a Heaven then on day Jon Hamm WILL sit on our face!

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2019 4:57 PM

MM made Jon Hamm and January Jones beautiful and interesting. They are both a total void without the show.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2019 5:06 PM

Megan took over the show when they brought her on. Weiner was obsessed with Jessica Pare. She actually made January Jones look talented.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 5:33 PM

I really loved Betty when she was sitting on the front steps of the cabin at Bobby’s camp, smoking a cig in her shorts. January Jones might not have acting talent, but she captured a picture postcard image of the 60’s housewife. She made heating up frozen fish sticks glamorous. She was like a little girl playing house.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 5:35 PM

I enjoyed the office shenanigans much more than the personal life BS.

Betty Rules!

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2019 5:36 PM

I wonder if Betty represented to Weiner the beautiful blonde who wouldn’t give him the time of day and/or an icy, narcissistic, withholding mother figure. That character was treated pretty brutally — cheating husband, out of the blue weight gain, and early death.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote]Why couldn't Don stay faithful FFS?

I think, even more than the culture of the times, growing up in a whorehouse probably had a lot to do with that. A prostitute took his virginity when he was still a kid, then his stepmother beat the shit out of him for it. That would have left a lasting impression. Don had a love/hate relationship with women: he craved a mother's love because he never had that in his life but also wanted to dominate women as a way to rebuff his need for then. Once a woman gave in to his charms, he grew bored and restless. He married Megan because of the way she took care of his kids; he thought she would be a good mother. Betty, conversely, was a terrible mother. Recall the episode when she expected him to discipline Bobby with a spanking and he refused.

I actually liked Megan when they first got together. She challenged Don and his conservative attitudes a lot and she was stylish and sweet, but not a pushover. It was when she quit the agency and went into acting full time that she became an insecure insufferable mess. By the time she moved out to California, I was over her. But I agree that she brought Marie into our lives, so she added value to the story. I really liked her dad, too, and the conversations they had.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2019 6:53 PM

Marie is a datalounger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2019 7:09 PM

If they'd set Mad Men in the present day, it would never have been made. The clothes and set dressing were WAAAAAAAAY more interesting than any plot or dialogue. Except for maybe when the guy got his foot cut off with the lawnmower. Otherwise it was boring as shit and don't tell me I need explosions or didn't appreciate its slow artful pacing.. They just dropped plots and jammed soap opera-y horseshit in where it didn't belong. That emperor had no clothes.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2019 7:19 PM

Betty's second husband was a snack!

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2019 7:22 PM

Weiner was obsessed with Megan because Weiner was fucking Jessica Pare. Everyone knew.

Megan was boring, Don with her was boring, I kept hoping he'd toss her off the balcony. Her mom was great.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2019 7:41 PM

It was a genius show.

And I loved the little sinister things that crept in. Like Glen. And that black lady who broke into Don’s apartment and tried to convince the kids she was their old nanny and to go back to bed. And the whorehouse Don grew up in. And when Meghan lived in some canyon in LA and I kept waiting for the Manson Family to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2019 7:42 PM

[QUOTE] I kept waiting for the Manson Family to kill her.

Not that I wanted her dead, but it would have been an interesting storyline and it would symbolically end the 60s setting for them all. Well that, or dying at Altamont.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2019 8:36 PM

R53, I didn’t want her dead, either. I remember being on a discussion board when that season aired, and other people also picked up on that vibe. There was speculation that she’d encounter the Manson Family, I wasn’t the only one who felt that.

Anyway, it’s worth another watch to analyze why it felt that way.

Also, Henry’s house seemed sinister, too.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2019 8:49 PM

I really disliked Megan during MM’s original run, but mellowed toward her on rewatching the show a few years later. Megan was Betty’s opposite in many ways, bubbly and outgoing, and Don was no less of an asshole during his relationship with Megan than he was while married to Betty. This made it clear that changing his surroundings and the people in his life didn’t remove Don’s limitations as a person.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2019 9:20 PM

It was a soap opera. A stylish, nostalgic, DWR/Banana Republic tied-in soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2019 10:52 PM

This show is my GO-TO show for comfort. It used to be SFU or The Sopranos.

Sorry, but I truly liked Megan. She was a kind spirit. Nothing about her bothered me. (And Betty was my FAVORITE character, by far on this show!!)

And I agree with R56- It was a soap opera. A classy, well written soap.

I adore this show. It's lovely. (And I did not like Don's ending with the Coca-Cola shit) but I loved this show until the end...

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2019 10:57 PM

Megan is the stereotypical 2nd wife: younger, and the complete opposite of the mother of his children. And in the things that attracted him to Betty to begin with, a bit of a downgrade (though he doesn’t realize that initially). And it was Betty’s class, social position, etc...that he was attracted to that also triggered his insecurities, cheating, etc.... I think what we sometimes forget is that his entire identity to EVERYONE was a lie from the time he stole another soldier’s identity just to try to be someone else.

Not to change the subject, but I always found the dynamic between Don and Joan interesting. They both were very streetwise, sometimes like brother and sister, and at other times there was a tone of sexual tension. And for all his other dalliances, why not Joan? Except that I think he deep down he knew she’d eat him for lunch and floss her teeth with his ribs. And for Joan’s part, she knew his number from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2019 12:01 AM

Loved mad men. This thread has inspired me to rewatch. I loved Betty and hated Megan. Trudy was great. Almost perfect until the end (which I loved) if it were not for too much Megan and the awful season 6. Betty dying her hair brown and accusing Henry of wanting to rape Sally’s 14 year old runaway friend? Good thing the show got back on track. Wiener must of really had it out for January.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2019 12:17 AM

January is a known cunt. Not shocked he hated her. Most do.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2019 12:20 AM

Did Peggy really not know that she was pregnant? Wouldn’t she wonder why she stopped having her period?

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2019 1:40 AM

Watched a great three part documentary on the history of advertising in America, (fuck Bernays) and gays and women were everywhere, and in lead roles.

have no idea why fuckwit show runner made it all about men and cut the women and gays, (actually, is obvious that was the narrative that interested him), but it is a bullshit depiction of the advertising industry

by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2019 1:43 AM

Bobby Draper #3 actor said January was "mean" in some interview, only person that came to her defense was John Slattery, lol, silence from everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2019 1:51 AM

Didn’t Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill also speak out about how awful January Jones is? They said she was a complete bitch when they met her.

R62 I don’t know what you watched but gays were far from running the show of advertising in the 60s. That’s a lie. Same with women.

by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2019 2:02 AM

Betty Draper Francis is not stupid, she speaks Italian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2019 2:04 AM

R64- It was Zach Galifanakis- (sp)

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2019 2:11 AM

R64 No, there were women in positions of power, and gay men. You are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Sweetie. Most gay men were closeted then. Even in NYC. And there were not many women in power at all.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2019 3:09 AM

I started rewatching because of this thread. I Love Jon Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2019 3:10 AM

R68 Oh OK, you are so wise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2019 6:05 AM

I'm surprised Joan doesn't get more mention on DL and in this thread, specifically. I found her a fascinating character.

The episode where she sleeps with the guy from Jaguar was pretty shocking and polarizing, and changed Joan's character for the rest of the series.

That the agency would even consider it was disgusting and but even worse when they - with the exception of Don - allowed her to do it was unfathomable. And even worse, the father of her child was okay with it.

It was hard to root for them after that episode. I get what Weiner was trying to portray but one thing I didn't like as a result of this story was that the friendship between Don and Joan pretty much ended. When he looks at her knowing what she did, he seemed to have lost any respect for her.

by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2019 6:15 AM

When "Mad Men" was still airing, January Jones said that one thing she had to do when playing Betty was not to judge her.

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2019 6:40 AM

OP, funny, because I just wanted to FF on all things Megan related.

Ugh.

And those 😬 !

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2019 6:50 AM

R72- I like that actually. A good actor really needs to become the character (and you cannot judge the character you are playing, you need to embody it)

She was quite good as the seasons progressed- Perfect actress for that role.

And I LOVED Megan. Sorry all. I really enjoyed her.

There really wasn't a character on that series that I did love watching.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2019 5:55 PM

Glen got on my nerves. There was no point in bringing him back after Season 1 except for the fact that the actor's father was the producer.

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2019 6:38 PM

Goddamn Megan and her oversized chompers were awful in every way. Betty was always my favorite character. She had depth and nuance that Megan severely lacked.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2019 9:11 PM

Having watched the series a few times (I use it on Netflix sometimes as a bedtime story), I think the best parts of the later seasons are the continuing glimpses into Sally's experiences growing older. Her outrage at the adults moment of lightness after Grandpa Gene died. Asking to eat dinner with the adults. Hopping a train into the city to see her dad. Getting to know her young stepmother and calling out her (perceived) hypocrisy. Icing out her dad for so long, after catching him cheating, then that heartbreaking confrontation with him about it in the car on the way back to school. Taking on the caregiver role after Betty was diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2019 9:48 PM

January Jones is interchangeable with Andie McDowell. They both must have trick jaws.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2019 10:19 PM

Loved Sally- In a way, she became the soul of the show-

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2019 10:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2019 10:47 PM

A Sally series would have been interesting: teen going into her twenties as feminism is affecting daily life and she realizes how messy her family is. No matter what job or school she went to, it was have been cool.

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2019 11:42 PM

I loved this show. I have heard that Matthew Weiner was a nightmare to work with though. I was unsure if he had used the casting couch as such, or if the show was more of a proxy way for him to live out his fantasies of being someone much better looking and being able to get any woman he liked, with Don as a very obvious stand-in for the kind of guy he wanted to be. And when multiple characters lined up to talk about how attractive a woman was, it was clearly a way of saying that Weiner himself was hot for the actress who played her: see the way characters gushed about Betty, Megan and Roger's second wife Jane.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if he had used the couch, or at least hired someone in the hopes that they might eventually sleep with him. The allegation that one of the writers made, claiming he said she owed it to him to let him see her naked, sounded very plausible. When she left the show back in 2009 just a few weeks after she won an Emmy, and Weiner talked about their relationship having reached its full potential or something like that, there was a lot of speculation that he had crossed the line in some way. I also read a book about showrunners in 2000s TV which had lots of anecdotes about how badly he treated many of the other writers and directors on the show.

Curiously, I remember in the early days of the show, Vincent Kartheiser talked enthusiastically about what a great experience it was on set, especially compared to how toxic working on Angel with Joss Whedon had been. I don't know if that means things declined from there, or if even someone as difficult as Weiner was still preferable to the nightmare that was Whedon.

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2019 2:04 PM

Jessica Pare was awful. I would probably have warmed up to Megan eventually with another actress playing her.

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2019 2:14 PM

Any gossip about cast members hooking up with each other? I was surprised not to hear more rumors over the years, given how close many of the actors were.

by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2019 11:33 PM

I'm one of the few who actually liked Megan and Pare 's portrayal of her. I thought that her looks and character were a fit for the rapidly changing late 60s.

I think they should have done more with Salvatore's character. They dropped his character too abruptly and there was a great deal of potential.

I also thought that Vincent Kartheisers performance (and his character ) were seriously underrated. He had many finely acted moments that illustrated the complexity of his character. There's a scene in an elevator after Lane Pryce (poor guy) punches him out and he says tearfully "I have nothing " and you can't help but feel for the guy while still disliking him. Great writing and acting.

by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2019 12:03 AM

I heard that the real reason Salvatore was written out was because of contract negotiations, Bryan Batt wanted a salary increase and Weiner was annoyed and chose to get rid of the character altogether. Then when Batt was vocal about wanting to return, and gave an interview in which he encouraged viewers to express the wish to get Sal back, Weiner became even more angry. He basically took every expression of disagreement with story and character choices as a personal attack. Most of the cast had to tiptoe around him and be very cautious of what they said. For example, when Christina Hendricks said she was sad about Lane leaving, she was careful to point out that she wasn't criticising Weiner or his writing, just that she missed the character.

by Anonymousreply 86December 9, 2019 12:15 AM

R82, I can't stand Matthew Weiner for the shitty way he treated the Betty Draper character after S3.

If you listen to the DVD commentaries, it feels like the only actors who really enjoyed working on the show were John Slattery and Jon Hamm. At least on the discs, they have terrific chemistry. (And they'd make a handsome couple, wouldn't they?)

The others are funny and tell good stories, as you'd expect, but it doesn't feel like they're buddies, if you know what I mean. I tend to think that MM was not a happy set. Not that people weren't grateful for being in such a successful and highly esteemed series or that they all hated each - just that they didn't have any particular bond with their castmates, which I find weird for a show that lasted 7 (really 8) seasons.

by Anonymousreply 87December 9, 2019 12:17 AM

R86 Interesting. I was not aware of the backstory around Batts exit.

by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2019 12:30 AM

R49 the lawn mower episode, A Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency, was one of the most darkly comedic episodes of television. I couldn't stop flinching at Guy's howling. Fun fact, mad TV alum Krista Flanagan plays the dipshit secretary who runs over the guys foot.

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2019 12:49 AM

I heard other gossip that said Batts made fun of Weiner's son's acting, it got back to Weiner, and that really soured the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 90December 9, 2019 12:54 AM

I missed Sal when he left. There was so much potential. But I do remember Batts leaving on not-so-amicable terms.

Weiner seems like a real asshole.

I've always wondered how Hendricks felt about Joan sleeping with the Jaguar guy. It was such a change for the character. And the Jaguar character was creepily reminiscent of Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2019 12:55 AM

Love this thread. I've been re-watching Mad Men also. New York City was at its most glorious and was ACCESSIBLE then to the working and middle classes. No more. The costumers were so crisp and lovely.

I noticed many of the actresses seem to be wearing contact lenses (you can see the outline). Is that why their eyes are so blue?

Weiner is a miserable little shit midget in real life. Anyone know if his own marriage survived?

by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2019 1:03 AM

So many phenomenal episodes. Commissions and Fees is one that sticks with me. Jared Harris was excellent, you could see Lanes increasing desperation and finally resignation. Very intense episode.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2019 1:15 AM

Interesting to hear about why Sal left the show. The last episode he was on was so good with his wife watching him sing to Bye Bye Birdie, I was really looking forward to where that storyline would go. He was a great character.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2019 1:19 AM

"I don’t get the hate for Megan."

Gay boys and fraus YEARN for Don and Betty to get back together - just like in a daytime soap opera. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2019 1:22 AM

I'm watching this for the first time.

I'm digging Jon Hamm's voice.

by Anonymousreply 96December 25, 2019 5:07 AM

The curse of season 4

by Anonymousreply 97December 25, 2019 5:11 AM

Did January ever ride the hamaconda?

by Anonymousreply 98December 25, 2019 5:20 AM

Very enjoyable show. Well written and acted with gorgeous costumes. One of the few mistakes I thought the producers made was in making Don's childhood and background so over the top melodramatic and convoluted. The whorehouse upbringing was a bit much for a show usually great with subtlety. I thought it would have been much better for Don to be the product of a more generic rough and tumble childhood (maybe just a poor white trash family and an alcoholic father ). But all the prostitute flashbacks combined with the War flashbacks added up to a bit too much. And I sometimes found myself wondering what a stronger actor with more depth might have done with Jon Hamms role.

by Anonymousreply 99December 25, 2019 5:49 AM

the moronic January jones ruins ev scene she inhabits......as usual.

by Anonymousreply 100December 25, 2019 6:09 AM

Has the director/creator done anything since? Seems to have slipped tween the cracks....

by Anonymousreply 101December 25, 2019 6:11 AM

R101 Yes he did a show on Amazon called the Romanoffs. I've only seen a few episodes but I highly recommend the ep. that centered on an American couple adopting in Russia. Surprisingly nuanced and powerful in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 102December 25, 2019 6:13 AM

MISS JONES IS NOW A HOOKER????

by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2019 9:28 AM

R98 I would be surprised if she hadn't but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 104December 25, 2019 8:52 PM

Weren't January Jones and Ashton Kutcher BFFs and prosties when they arrived in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 105December 25, 2019 11:43 PM

I read a interview with Jon Hamm recently where he said the character died a few years later. That Draper died a miserable person. He hates that people ask about a reboot. Sorry, but you still be a out of work actor if it wasn't for that role. He's box office poison right now.

by Anonymousreply 106December 26, 2019 12:00 AM

He's not box office poison because he is NEVER hired to STAR in or OPEN anything.

by Anonymousreply 107December 26, 2019 12:24 AM

That's kinda pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 108December 26, 2019 12:25 AM

I don't know why every says he is hung, he is in many love scenes and underwear shorts in the series, there is no hint of anything...

by Anonymousreply 109December 26, 2019 12:27 AM

It really looks like he has big balls. But he's such a alcoholic, doubt he could if he did.

by Anonymousreply 110December 26, 2019 12:33 AM

Gee I wonder why people think he is hung?

by Anonymousreply 111December 26, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote] I read a interview with Jon Hamm recently where he said the character died a few years later. That Draper died a miserable person.

Has anyone explained to Hamm that a fictional character can’t die outside the boundaries of the storytelling, because he’s not real?

by Anonymousreply 112December 26, 2019 12:39 AM

I fast forward when January jones comes on.....

by Anonymousreply 113December 26, 2019 11:26 AM

Don Draper would have married at least twice more, as his wives always embodied the zeitgeist of the decade in which he married them: There would have been a sunny 70s Farrah Fawcett type and helmet-haired 80s dragon. The dragon would have buried him.

by Anonymousreply 114December 26, 2019 2:09 PM

I think that’s not far off, r114. Lung cancer or liver failure. And he would have lived right up to the last second as he had his whole adult life.

by Anonymousreply 115December 27, 2019 3:44 AM

I think Don would have married a 70s earth mother type--the therapist/Esalan woman in the last episode had the right vibe, particularly as he would have looked for someone who could take over mothering his youngest kid.

by Anonymousreply 116December 27, 2019 4:43 AM

The surreal moments were always my favorite in the series. The one where Don hallucinates after nearly drowning, Bert Cooper dancing a showtune after his passing, even the strange methamphetamine fueled tap dancing by Cosgrove were all highlights for me. Such a unique show.

by Anonymousreply 117December 27, 2019 4:50 AM

This thread is making me want to rewatch it. I loved it when it was on, but seriously can't remember much of the individual eps discussed on here.

I do know I loved Joan the best. She was the most interesting female character. Don is iconic of course. But Joan stole the show. Peggy is completely forgotten. Betty was great. Teefs was fine, but I get the ire.

by Anonymousreply 118December 27, 2019 8:18 AM

I can see that, R116, but he might not have been so interested in another woman who leaned little too far towards the hippie side, as Meghan's newfound bohemian lifestyle in California seemed to really grate on him. Also, it seemed in the last few episodes that there had been a tacit agreement that Henry would finish raising Don's youngest son, as he'd always been more of a father to the boy than Don.

I can see the 70s Mrs. Draper as a tan, athletic,disco-dancing California girl with a deep tan and blinding white teeth: Again, high Farrah Fawcett. Likes to dance, drink, smoke, and do coke, but she'd be a bit too much for a Don pushing 60 and eventually he'd lose her to a younger man. Then the 80s dragon would step in and run his life with military precision until he succumbed to heart or liver failure.

His children would hate her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 27, 2019 1:54 PM

Just finished season 4. Damn, Meghan is fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 120December 27, 2019 2:28 PM

Christina Hendricks was huge by season four. Like 175lbs.

by Anonymousreply 121December 27, 2019 2:29 PM

I think Pete and Peggy are the only ones who would still be living in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 122December 27, 2019 2:48 PM

They are so right to hate Meghan and her teeth! Everyone she talks, it's all I see, so fucking ugly

by Anonymousreply 123December 27, 2019 2:54 PM

I wonder how many women Jon Ham banged in that series...you know he fucked a few of them

by Anonymousreply 124December 27, 2019 2:55 PM

R124 I wish there was video.

Weirdly, I find him hot *as* Don, smoking hot, mindnumbingly hot. As himself, still hot but less so.

by Anonymousreply 125December 27, 2019 3:01 PM

I think the whole thing about Jon saying Don Draper died was something that came from Matt Weiner.

by Anonymousreply 126December 27, 2019 3:02 PM

In your opinion, did Joan get raped by Greg, or not. I say yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 27, 2019 3:24 PM

Yes, marital rape is still rape.

by Anonymousreply 128December 27, 2019 3:26 PM

Ol' Don would pick up a black tranny fuck toy in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 129December 27, 2019 3:34 PM

The only characters worth following were Christina Hendricks and Jared(?) Harris. There was that gorgeous gay guy but the writers didn't give him enough time. Jon Hamm played the awful Don Draper beautifully but he'll never make it beyond Mad Men. Oh - and back to the OPs opinion - YES, Megan and her teeth were a useless addition. The series could have ended a couple seasons earlier but the writers kept it on life support. The whole series is over-rated. It's no Sopranos or Breaking Bad or The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 130December 27, 2019 3:37 PM

No, a woman of Joan's size can't be raped.

by Anonymousreply 131December 27, 2019 3:37 PM

I found the women of the show to be way more interesting than the men. I know a lot of people hate January Jones but I thought she was fucking brilliant in this. She was kinda shafted in the latter seasons but I loved how they ended her arc in season 7.

by Anonymousreply 132December 27, 2019 4:14 PM

Too bad about Bryan Batt. He was so good. I hope he did make fun of that awful son of MW, he was the worst distraction in the show.

by Anonymousreply 133December 27, 2019 7:12 PM

R119, There isn't a tacit agreement that Henry should raise the youngest--that's what Sally suggests. Betty's suggestion is that her brother and his wife raise the kids. In other words, there isn't a single solution and Henry has his political career on which to focus.

And while Don tires of Meghan's 60's stuff, he's all in (for the moment) on the New Age 70s stuff--meditating on the cliff's of not-quite-Esalen and embracing Coke bottle guy under the tutelage of the Helen Slater character, who also brings him into the encounter group after he's fallen apart during the phone call.

Don marries the Zeitgeist woman--Grace Kelly-type Betty during the 50s, French cinema style Meghan. I think we'd have seen a Farrah-style woman if that was going to be wife no. 3, but we saw Don go Me-Decade instead.

by Anonymousreply 134December 27, 2019 9:20 PM

R131 Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 135December 27, 2019 10:10 PM

I forgot about Henry. He was so damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 136December 27, 2019 10:12 PM

I wanted to be tag teamed by Henry and Don.

And Roger too.

by Anonymousreply 137December 27, 2019 10:15 PM

Truer words, R137. Truer words.

by Anonymousreply 138December 27, 2019 10:16 PM

will they ever make a movie?

by Anonymousreply 139December 27, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote] Wiener must of really had it out for January.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 140December 27, 2019 10:43 PM

R136 R137 Oh yes! I forgot about Hot Henry also. I was thrilled and throbbing to see him in Zero Dark Thirty.

by Anonymousreply 141December 27, 2019 10:44 PM

They probably won't ever make a movie, the whole story was concluded at the end of the series.

by Anonymousreply 142December 27, 2019 10:45 PM

R139 What would the movie be about? Nobody cares about Don anymore. Peggy and Stan became boring. All the main characters were wrapped up. The series went on WAY too long. If you liked it that much, just be happy it dragged on for as long as it did.

by Anonymousreply 143December 27, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote] The series went on WAY too long

I feel like it was similar to Downton Abbey - it had a really solid first few seasons, and a compelling ending (for at least some characters), but you could tell at about 80 percent through that they were treading water/killing time until the end.

by Anonymousreply 144December 27, 2019 10:56 PM

Jon Hamm is too busy doing commercials in Canada, doing shitty movies no sees, walk ins on SNL. He gets mad if someone brings up a reboot. He's a alcoholic, chain smoking, womanizer in real life. How about a Mad Men movie with Thomas Jane?

by Anonymousreply 145December 28, 2019 12:00 AM

They could recast Don with Colin Ferguson.

by Anonymousreply 146December 28, 2019 12:23 AM

Fun fact :Thomas Jane was the first choice for Don Draper but he turned it down because he didn't want to do TV at the time, even though he now does hbo 's Hung. Bet he majorly regrets it.

by Anonymousreply 147December 28, 2019 1:36 AM

I could totally see Thomas Jane as Don.

by Anonymousreply 148December 28, 2019 1:39 AM

Did betty really put on all that weight for season 5?

by Anonymousreply 149December 28, 2019 1:53 AM

It was the show that dared to imagine people of Norwegian ancestry in Bay Ridge could be Catholic--which, acording to a very persistent Datalounger, is 100% physically impossible!

by Anonymousreply 150December 28, 2019 1:56 AM

The actress was pregnant, R149.

I see your point, R134. The series does hint at a me-decade type woman for Don. Whomever he chooses though, she's going to look like a girl from an advertisement, or quite possibly BE a girl from an advertisement, as both Betty and Meghan did commercials, Betty for print and Meghan for TV. Maybe he'd go all in for a real yoga/jogging nut, someone who looks like Cheryl Tiegs in the Tab ads. Don always going for a wife that could have been ordered from Central Casting for that decade is why I went immediately to Farrah Fawcett.

Wife No. 4 would either look like Linda Evans or Alexis Carrington. :)

by Anonymousreply 151December 28, 2019 2:14 AM

Don would take a male lover in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 152December 28, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote] even though he now does hbo 's Hung.

Well, no, not exactly now. That show ended before Mad Men did.

But yes, I remember hearing he was up for the role of Don.

by Anonymousreply 153December 28, 2019 2:58 AM

[R150] I couldn’t figure that out at all! Whoever heard of a Norwegian Catholic?! Why didn’t they make her Polish or Czech?

by Anonymousreply 154December 28, 2019 3:51 AM

Peggy's mother was Irish Catholic. This was explained in the series.

by Anonymousreply 155December 28, 2019 4:40 AM

The bad casting was Peggy. We were supposed to root for her but the actress was so unlikable and odd.

by Anonymousreply 156December 28, 2019 5:37 AM

R156

Is Elisabeth Moss still a member of the Thetan Cult?

aka The Church of Scientology;

by Anonymousreply 157December 28, 2019 12:01 PM

Yes. She is still in the cult.

by Anonymousreply 158December 28, 2019 3:02 PM

Oh, after all this time, I'd still do Jon Hamm. He's good looking and always prides himself on showing off going commando when he's out and about. Wouldn't be surprised if he's had a man down there at least once in his life. Out of nowhere to MAD MEN? Somebody gobbled him for sure.

by Anonymousreply 159December 28, 2019 3:18 PM

He looked perfect for the part, of that era.

Yes, he's still very good looking.

However, back then they didn't have dick pills, I doubt he would have been able fuck around that much with the amount he drinks.

by Anonymousreply 160December 28, 2019 4:42 PM

R157 Elizabeth Moss married Fred Armisen and then had it annulled after a week. Sort of like that Rene Zellweger/Kenny Chesney thing...what was that about? Sorry, I know that's for a different thread...

by Anonymousreply 161December 28, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote] Elizabeth Moss married Fred Armisen and then had it annulled after a week. Sort of like that Renee Zellweger/Kenny Chesney thing

Except NO.

Moss and Armisen were married for about eight months.

by Anonymousreply 162December 28, 2019 5:02 PM

I find Elisabeth Moss very likable in pretty much everything, save real life.

by Anonymousreply 163December 28, 2019 5:26 PM

R159 Jon Hamm actually mentioned that when he auditioned (tho probably not for MM), someone tried to be very inappropriate with him.

by Anonymousreply 164December 28, 2019 6:41 PM

He's aged so much since that went off the air. Booze.

by Anonymousreply 165December 28, 2019 7:15 PM

R156, it's the lack of neck.

by Anonymousreply 166December 28, 2019 10:54 PM

[quote] He's good looking and always prides himself on showing off going commando when he's out and about.

I think you've worded this a bit wrong. He doesn;t "pride" himself on it; he actually gets embarrassedand unhappy if interviewers talk to him about it. It may be that he just prefers the feeling of going commando (as many men do); or it may be he gets some sort of weird exhibtionistic thrill he finds it unseemly to talk about when he does it; or it might be some combination of the two.

by Anonymousreply 167December 28, 2019 11:02 PM

I've never found Don Draper fuckable, which sort of ruins Mad Men. You have to be invested in Don's fuckability to fully appreciate the story.

by Anonymousreply 168December 28, 2019 11:04 PM

R168 Yep, I didn't get the attraction either. I was always a Roger and Joan fan, they kept me invested in the series (at least in the beginning).

by Anonymousreply 169December 28, 2019 11:07 PM

I was attracted to Cosgrove, Ginsberg, and Bob Benson.

I don't think this series is ageing all that well, judging by what I'm seeing from TV critics on Twitter. The focus on the straight white man's woes and his perspective to the exclusion of almost all others really does feel of another era at this point. Also dated is blaming all of his issues on having grown up in a whorehouse. I cringe just thinking about that, looking back now.

by Anonymousreply 170December 28, 2019 11:20 PM

^^ Yes, Cosgrove was interesting. This series will never hold-up. It managed to capture the era in set decoration and clothing but the story lines were abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 171December 28, 2019 11:25 PM

I'm digging Roger too.

by Anonymousreply 172December 28, 2019 11:27 PM

Breaking Bad was also all about white man problems, but I bet it will age much better.

by Anonymousreply 173December 28, 2019 11:33 PM

Breaking Bad will last as long as meth. It's ageless.

by Anonymousreply 174December 28, 2019 11:44 PM

It was a throwback mentality even when it was on.

Weiner will never do anything else of merit.

by Anonymousreply 175December 29, 2019 12:03 AM

Worth revisiting the 2008 review of the show in the London Review of Books:

Mad Men is an unpleasant little entry in the genre of Now We Know Better. We watch and know better about male chauvinism, homophobia, anti-semitism, workplace harassment, housewives’ depression, nutrition and smoking. We wait for the show’s advertising men or their secretaries and wives to make another gaffe for us to snigger over....Mad Men is currently said to be the best and ‘smartest’ show on American TV. We’re doomed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 29, 2019 12:22 AM

R175 How true. Wiener was riding off a minor credit on The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 177December 29, 2019 12:52 AM

And he wrote for Becker, which....well, speaks for itself.

The thing he did for Amazon was unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 178December 29, 2019 1:02 AM

I loved the show, but Peggy's story line was one I could not buy. This savvy, up and coming young woman in the advertising world had no clue she was even pregnant until she had a kid?!!!!!!

Puhleeze.

by Anonymousreply 179December 29, 2019 2:34 AM

Weiner had a relatively major role writing on The Sopranos in season six.

by Anonymousreply 180December 29, 2019 2:42 AM

I think Peggy's response was supposed to indicate some kind of psychological block--that's why they committed her after she had the baby, as she wouldn't admit what had happened. It isn't until Don showed up and talked some sense into her that she was able to face it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 181December 29, 2019 2:31 PM

I just finished season 1-season 7. The whole series in a week. I enjoyed it. I got emotional when Don was talking to Betty about cancer and the kids.

overall, I enjoyed the show. Sally pings to me.

by Anonymousreply 182December 29, 2019 5:02 PM

R182 the cancer storyline was the best acting January Jones ever dead. Her letter to Sally had me sobbing like a Mary

by Anonymousreply 183December 29, 2019 5:06 PM

Whoops, best acting she ever did*

by Anonymousreply 184December 29, 2019 5:07 PM

Did they ever figure out who was the father of Jones's baby?

by Anonymousreply 185December 29, 2019 6:00 PM

R179 I forgot about Peggy having a baby!! Whatever happened with that storyline? I have no interest in watching the series again but your comment is going to drive me to some synopsis website.

by Anonymousreply 186December 29, 2019 6:33 PM

Peggy gave her baby away. She tells Pete what happened to the baby in the season two finale.

by Anonymousreply 187December 29, 2019 6:46 PM

Bump! Feed my beast!

by Anonymousreply 188December 29, 2019 7:30 PM

R179, Peggy was ambitious, but she wasn't savvy or worldly in Season 1. She was presented as naive and sort of lost. I do think the denial of being pregnant strains credulity given that she wasn't overweight to start with.

by Anonymousreply 189December 30, 2019 8:18 AM

I did not like her either.

by Anonymousreply 190December 30, 2019 8:44 AM

me three.

by Anonymousreply 191December 30, 2019 2:14 PM

Betty was a perfect part for January Jones because anything else I have seen her in she wasn't that great. I think Weiner had a thing for her and when she got pregnant it pissed him off so he punished her by writing fat Betty and making her more of a bitch. Then his new crush was Jessica Pare who played Megan and he overdid it with her, her character would have been great in a smaller dose.

by Anonymousreply 192December 31, 2019 2:22 AM

Is January Jones as dumb as she looks?

by Anonymousreply 193December 31, 2019 2:42 AM

Single for 4 years, no girlfriend in sight. He's about to come out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 31, 2019 3:14 AM

Jessica must have pissed him off too, because he really torpedoed Meghan in the last seasons.

by Anonymousreply 195December 31, 2019 1:52 PM

Is Jon Hamm sober now? Did he go to rehab?

by Anonymousreply 196December 31, 2019 2:05 PM

Did any of the stars from Mad Men go on to a career in film or TV? Did they all fade? I know Jared Harris moved on in Chernobyl but I'm talking about the main characters. Jon Hamm was in that stinker about The Joneses and did some SNL. Mad Men will never hold up vis a vis The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 197December 31, 2019 8:35 PM

Ironically the most successful is the actress who played Peggy

by Anonymousreply 198January 1, 2020 7:47 AM

And Sally Draper.

Doesn't she play Sabrina the Witch ?

by Anonymousreply 199January 1, 2020 12:17 PM

does January get $ from the phantom daddy of her kid???

by Anonymousreply 200January 1, 2020 12:20 PM

Last Chance to see: series pulled from Netflix (Streaming) on 9-10 June.

Finally finished the whole shebang with Series 7, after 5-6 years. It holds up, despite anachronitic distractions like non-60s dialogue ("Are we done here?") and insane breast implants and botox.

by Anonymousreply 201June 5, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]Mad Men will never hold up vis a vis The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

Respectable bronze though in a tough field.

by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote] Mad Men will never hold up vis a vis The Sopranos or Breaking Bad Respectable bronze though in a tough field.

They are each great.

by Anonymousreply 203June 5, 2020 7:17 PM

I loved the show, although I thought it made some mis-steps towards the end of its run. Elevating Megan in season 5 and Ted in season 6 to main character status did not work and took too much attention away from more interesting material. But the final season wisely moved them both back to the fringes of the story and got the focus back where it should be.

by Anonymousreply 204June 29, 2020 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!