Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Walnuts

I eat them, but I don't know what they are

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2019 11:18 PM

It used to be that I had big ol walnuts between my legs; a very powerful woman. But the nuts have moved up to my head.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 2:56 AM

I will eat your nuts. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 2:58 AM

The country of Georgia puts them to best culinary use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 2:59 AM

Walnut lover here. In savoury dishes, as well as sweets. Love the oil for bread, salad dressings, and marinades. A dash to finish a brown sauce, bordelaise, or quick beef gravy/pan sauce really enriches the flavour too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 3:05 AM

R3 I wish the link contained the recipe, but was unable to pull it up.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 3:13 AM

Squirrels love them, remember that this winter. During the holidays I buy them whole at the supermarket. My mission is to feed the world.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 3:14 AM

I just finished a murder mystery story where the victim was poisoned by an allergy to walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 3:16 AM

R4, here you go:

Ingredients

3 cups toasted walnuts, plus 1/2 cup roughly chopped 5 cups chicken stock 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped cilantro 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped 1 red Holland chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 1⁄4 cup olive oil 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2" pieces 3 tsp. sweet paprika 1 tsp. hot paprika 1 tsp. ground coriander 1 tsp. ground fenugreek 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon 2 egg yolks 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Instructions

Place 3 cups walnuts and 1⁄2 cup stock in a food processor; puree until very smooth. Add half each of the cilantro, garlic, and onions, plus chiles, salt, and pepper; puree until very smooth and set sauce aside.

Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan; cook, turning as needed, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add remaining garlic and onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. Add paprikas, coriander, fenugreek, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add reserved walnut sauce and remaining stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced by a third, 30-35 minutes.

Place yolks in a bowl; whisk in 1 ladle of sauce from stew; return sauce to the stew and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper; ladle into serving bowls and garnish with chopped walnuts and remaining cilantro.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]Squirrels love them, remember that this winter.

Yes! They always have them in the store for the holidays, and if you wait till after Xmas you can stock up for half price.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 3:24 AM

They make my mouth itch

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 3:24 AM

We had two different varieties of walnut trees (black and English) in our yard growing up. I guess our area used to be a walnut orchard. Lots and lots and lots of walnuts. The skins stain your hands brown. And they have a weird smell. But I love walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 3:27 AM

Cheers, R8..I'm definitely making this over the weekend. R6 Glad you're feeding the little buggers too.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 3:28 AM

What we call the English Walnut in the US is also known as the Persian Walnut. There are other walnut species that produce edible seeds. America has Black Walnuts, which are very different, and have a very distinctive taste. Where I live (Midwest) they're occasionally sold in stores, and a regional specialty is Black Walnut ice cream (which I adore). All walnut trees secrete chemicals which tend to poison other plants that grow nearby. So you don't want to plant them near your vegetable garden. The wood is very valuable, though. My brother has a number of mature black walnut trees on his property. He collects the seeds and puts them in his driveway, to drive over them and break them free from their husks. The stain everything that they touch. The leaves have a very distinctive smell.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 3:29 AM

R11, are you in Southern California? My parents have a walnut tree too -- but it gives off a sort of dark oil/residue and stains your hands. I don't know what variety of walnut it is but they're a bitch to crack.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 3:30 AM

I like to melt butter with some rosemary and sea salt, toss the walnuts in the butter, place them on a baking sheet, and heat for 10-15 minutes at 350F.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 3:35 AM

Black walnut ice cream is known on the East Coast.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 3:40 AM

If you really want to go all-in on walnuts (which is a good thing), I suggest baking Katherine Hepburn's famous brownies.

R16, I was never sure about that. I was Googling, and saw some other brands than the ones I know. I know they can certainly grow there. I've never read about them being grown outside North America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 3:42 AM

Walnut dumplings. Yes they are a thing and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 3:44 AM

Walnuts, Pair, and Goregandzoila cheese is a classic condo, great with a glass of wine...my favorite way to temper the affects of a doggy dog day.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 3:46 AM

That would be dried apricots and cheese (not blue!) with a glass of Port for me.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 3:55 AM

Damn, R19, that took some work.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 3:56 AM

R21 You make me chuckle... I doubt that's autocorrect, but could very well be Siri.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 4:02 AM

They are the same as pecans

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 4:08 AM

R23, No they're not, dammit! Pecans occupy their own special pantheon!

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 4:13 AM

Walnuts are great brain food. Their shape even resembles the shape of the brain.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 4:13 AM

Pecans are better. Walnuts will do in a pinch, or when up north.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 4:14 AM

r14 I'm in SoCal now, but where I grew up and we had the walnut trees was the Bay Area (East Bay.)

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 4:15 AM

R24 is correct, as pecans don't provide the slightly bitter foil to the sweet, say in a brownie, cake, or ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2019 4:15 AM

I prefer walnuts. Pecans don't pair as well with cheese, either.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2019 4:17 AM

English walnuts are definitely better than black walnuts but they all taste like sawdust. Pecans for the win (but only in the pseudo-brain looking category...almonds for the overall nut win).

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 4:20 AM

I love both walnuts and pecans. I prefer walnuts in brownies, but I've never heard of a walnut pie (they probably exist, outside of my experience). But I sure do love pecan pie. My Mom made a really great pecan pie, and I'll be missing it this time of year. She always asked me what I wanted for my birfday (I'm a Scorpio, so it's coming up) and I usually asked her to make a pecan pie.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 4:23 AM

Wild walnuts are the best. But very hard to crack open and with very little meat. You have to use a pin to scoop it out.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2019 4:50 AM

Substitute walnuts into a pesto (instead of pine nuts) and save yourself a few bucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2019 7:07 AM

We had a squirrel trapped inside our attic and to get rid of him the critter control people used walnut oil on some kind of poison to make him eat it then run out of the house to find water. Anyway the smell of the walnut oil wafted through the vents into my room and made me nauseated. I have hated walnuts ever since.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2019 11:06 AM

To me walnut oil is too heavy for any dish (including salads), but I do like walnuts (and pine nuts) as topping for mixed lettuce salads.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2019 11:13 AM

Like many people I was traumatized by the Dick Van Dyke episode involving a closet full of walnuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2019 11:28 AM

I eat organic raw unsalted sprouted walnuts. They are YUMMY.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2019 11:40 AM

I do almonds and pecans. No walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2019 12:37 PM

I absolutely hate them and can't eat them. They taste like turpentine to me, even if hidden in a dish.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2019 12:51 PM

r24

Yes, they look alike and almost taste alike, they're the same.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2019 1:06 PM

Diamond now makes walnut and pecan pie crusts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2019 4:20 PM

Georgian eggplant rolls filled with walnuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2019 7:11 PM

Balls to the wall walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2019 7:18 PM

I remember someone telling me about a thick Persian braised dish made with walnuts. I think this is what they were talking about:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2019 7:19 PM

Maple walnut ice cream is wonderful (is it just a New England thing?). Also maple walnut pie, a nice change from pecan pie.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2019 9:10 PM

THANKS everybody, these all sound so wholesome

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2019 9:25 PM

Had a couple of black walnut trees in the backyard growing up. Hated them! They would stain my shoes and were fucking huge and if one hit you on the head it hurt like a bitch.

Still LOVE black walnut ice cream though.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2019 9:45 PM

R45

I believe Maple Walnut is one of the "official" WASP ice creams flavors, along with Butter Pecan and Coffee (I think), according to Paul Fussell's book [italic]Class[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2019 11:00 PM

Georgian beef-walnut soup. Perfect for the fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2019 11:03 PM

R39 That scent precisely means they've gone off. All vegetable oils when rancid give off that smell. Do not even feed these to animals, as they'll get sick.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2019 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!