Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Liza's career go straight down the shitter?

It wasn't from a lack of having an iconic mother or marrying various closeted gay men!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2020 4:10 PM

Because she's a damn drunk?

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 12:26 AM

Pills and Liquor, OP.

I think Halston was part of her downfall as well.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 12:31 AM

Liza had an enormously successful career. Liza Minnelli is a national treasure. Stop being so fucking mean.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 12:32 AM

She did what Judy couldn't do. She got sober and has remained sober for decades. (Aside from a brief slip in the late 90's).

Unfortunately Liza was plagued with health problems. It's a miracle she remained on stage for as long as she did .

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 12:33 AM

They stopped making musicals.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 12:35 AM

Leave her alone. She was brilliant in every way in Cabaret. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 12:35 AM

I got SHOBER and have SHTAYED SHOBER for DECADESH!

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 12:36 AM

Here we see Michael Feinstein committing elder abuse on the stage with Liza in Costa Mesa last summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 12:37 AM

This bitch ain't sober.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 12:37 AM

R9=Lorna

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 12:38 AM

R9 = Reality

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 12:38 AM

Because she easily became out of step with the times (couldn't control *the times*), and because she's a pathetic figure that hasn't appealed to ANYONE since 1979 except gay men. Okay Arthur........but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 12:42 AM

"She got sober and has remained sober for decades."

HA HA HA HA. No, she hasn't ever been "sober" as any average person would define it. Sobriety is the exception. Plus her *show biz bombastic diva* shit went out 45 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 12:46 AM

Bug eyed women singing tired tunes went out of style.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 12:48 AM

Really, after her triumphant "Shtepping Out", what else was there to achieve?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 1:04 AM

I loved her on “Arrested Development”.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 1:13 AM

She's overcome so much diversity!

Hi, Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 1:16 AM

Quick minute mash-up of Liza on Larry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 1:26 AM

Too many drugs consumed to mask her mental illness.

I love her though.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 1:37 AM

Liza never really had a convention career. It was more fits and starts, she really was the Sterile Cuckoo, just an oddball that never quite fit into any conventional role of an actress/singer.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 1:53 AM

I'll say it again, Liza was Cabaret. Impressive. Bad mood? Watch it for the cure.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 1:59 AM

After "Cabaret", she had a series of film flops, and after three or four "Lucky Lady"-sized disasters Hollywood decided she wasn't a box-office draw and they weren't paying her millions. They weren't making films to suit her talents anyway, in the mid-seventies gritty realism was in and musicals were out, and so was smiling relentlessly.

So she went back to the stage and endeared herself to a generation of Theater Queens, while the mainstream forgot all about her.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 2:53 AM

I've heard plenty of stories about Liza being nuts, unstable, drunk or on drugs, but never that she's been unkind or mean to anyone. You do get the sense that she'd chatter away happily with a cab driver or a busboy who approached her nicely.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 3:06 AM

You do until said cabbie or busboy realized he now had to take her on to a degree far greater than his job ordinarily entails.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 3:21 AM

Yes...what a shitter... Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy awards....still working in her 70s when she's healthy...Fuck off OP

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 3:48 AM

Who is this Lisa Minnuli?

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 4:01 AM

She was too busy fooling around with clay. Liza makes lots of things with clay.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 4:16 AM

R23 spill the dirt, please.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2019 4:19 AM

She made too many bad film decisions: three flops in a row after Cabaret, then waiting four years to make Arthur, then waiting SEVEN years to star in Rent-a-Cop and Arthur 2, both bombs. I love her, it's amazing she's lived this long.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2019 4:29 AM

I love Liza Minnelli!!! For many different reasons. First of all - the Sally Bowles character she portraits in one of the greatest musicals ever comitted to a film. Second being the "Liza with a Z" - one of the grandest Specials ever shown on TV. Her rendition of Aznavour's "What Makes Man A Man" is just another. I don't give crap about her bad decisions, her flops, e.t.c. She is a legend, she is a star!!! It hurts me to see her in a wheel chair starving for little attention. I just wish she learned her lesson from the other Greats .... like Garbo. Keep the mystery along your dignity. I'm sure she can afford and living quite well, without those pityful apperances.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 4:54 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 4:59 AM

Liza's a crazy drunk who lives in her make-believe world, but I agree with R23 that she seems like someone who'd at least be cordial, if not warm and friendly, with everyone. Even in her interviews she's usually very kind when talking about people and I can't ever recall her being mean and bitchy. Of course I have no idea what she's like in real life. I am not particularly fond of her work, but she's a talented woman who made some very poor career choices after "Arthur".

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2019 6:30 AM

Liza is pretty fucking brilliant in "Arrested Development". It's very rare to find someone who isn't a joke teller, yet is truly "comic".

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2019 7:14 AM

I think I wrote this elsewhere on another thread, but she is transcendent in ‘Liza with a Z’, and I don’t think it’s a queeny exaggeration to think of it as a significant work of televisual art.

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2019 7:28 AM

She and her siblings must be making money off her mother estate, no? Especially with the biopic coming up someone made bank paying for the use of her likeness and music.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2019 8:54 AM

Sober means no booze or any other mood-altering drug, whether 'doctor-prescribed' or not.

Also, with all her money why has she not had those horrible above the lip lines corrected?

(You would never see Babs with such a thing on her face.)

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2019 9:23 AM

She was the best part in Arrested Development.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2019 5:20 PM

"I've heard plenty of stories about Liza being nuts, unstable, drunk or on drugs, but never that she's been unkind or mean to anyone"

But they are unreliable, and that can be worse. They don't show up, forget where they were supposed to show up, constantly get lost, forgets everyone's name, doesn't return phone calls, calls people at all hours of the night because they can't be alone, begs people to baby sit her when she has a craving for booze, begs people to secretly get her drugs...in other words, a pain in the ass, just like Judy was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2019 5:47 PM

R23, agreed. She’s a mess, but I don’t get the sense that she’s malicious. I think she brings out the protective side of many of us, like Britney Spears. She’s not out to hurt anyone.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2019 5:49 PM

She’sh my mentor!

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2019 5:58 PM

When I was a young gayling I used to love the movie ‘Arthur’. I found her beautiful and still do. IMHO there are very few individuals that possess her charisma.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2019 5:58 PM

She's always seemed kind and like she'd be a hoot to be around. She had the same thing Judy had where you wanted to take care of her and make sure no harm came her way.

I think she was born at the wrong time. If she'd done more Broadway, she might still be working like Bernadette Peters or Patti LuPone, but the film industry didn't know what to do with her brand of charisma and talent. I've seen her on stage and she lights the entire thing up in a way that you rarely see.

Her voice is completely gone now unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2019 6:18 PM

It's telling that she's never been in a serious relationship in her entire life. And of course, she's never had kids. That's a flashing red light for serious emotional issues. She's too crazy for any man.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2019 6:49 PM

R42, Liza was too unreliable to do Broadway after 1975. Yeah, I know she did, but there was trouble.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2019 7:13 PM

She never had kids because she couldn't stop drinking and doing drugs for five minutes during her child-bearing years.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2019 7:17 PM

I don't really by that she couldn't have been a movier star (bar CABARET) in the 1970s. Karen Black was a movie star in that decade. Liza could have done some of the roles that went to Marsha Mason.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2019 7:31 PM

*I don't really buy

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2019 7:31 PM

I have seen Liza in concert at least seven or eight times the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. No one other than maybe her mother can touch Liza before or since. She was the most electrifying performer ever on stage. Liza was loaded with talent, and she was an entertainer extraordinaire.

All of you slinging shit about Liza being a mess probably never experienced Liza in concert. You have no idea what you're talking about. No one was ever better. Liza was the ultimate performer. So she slowed down now. So she didn't fit into the typical movie leading lady roles. BFD. Liza's strength was the stage. She was brilliant. If you missed seeing her, then you missed one of the most electrifying performers ever. Your loss.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2019 7:42 PM

"Liza could have done some of the roles that went to Marsha Mason."

HA HA HA. No. Liza doesn't have the depth Marsha Mason had, and Liza could never do a role that's not herself. ALL of them - Pookie Adams, Junie Moon, Sally Bowles, Francine Evans, Linda Marolla and all of the nameless others are ALL Liza. She was unable or unwilling to go further. It's almost like she thought she was at MGM and expected them to write "Liza Minnelli roles" for her to show off her star power and star voice. She was too one dimensional for movies.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2019 7:44 PM

R48, you seem unable to comprehend the title of this thread: "Why did Liza's career go straight down the shitter?" That has nothing to do with you experiences seeing her on stage.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2019 7:46 PM

Liza's a great comedic actress. She was great on AD, but perhaps by now it's difficult to insure her.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2019 7:52 PM

Movies schmovies.

Liza on stage is where she belongs. Brilliant.

See link. Liza "owns" this song. No offense to Sinatra, but THIS is how it's done. And New York, New York was written for Liza.

Not to mention winning an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and four Tonys (two wins and two honoring her) including Best Special Theatrical Event for "Liza at the Palace" in 2009. An outstanding career. Well done, Liza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2019 7:54 PM

Her style of music was incredibly dated. That’s why her “Results” album was such a success - she was finally trying something new and up to date. Then after that album she went right back to her typical showtunes type shit and her releases were again poor sellers.

All in all, she didn’t take enough risks in her music or movies.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2019 7:55 PM

Liza's career did not go straight down the shitter. It rose to glorious heights. No one comes close to Liza.

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2019 7:56 PM

"It rose to glorious heights"

It did! Then it went straight down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2019 10:56 PM

No. George Lazenby's career went straight down the shitter.

Liza had plenty of triumphs over the years.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2019 10:58 PM

A few of Liza's triumphs were out of pity.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]Her style of music was incredibly dated. That’s why her “Results” album was such a success

That album was a flop, just like all her other albums. I think she only had about 4 albums total in her entire career because she couldn't get a record deal.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2019 11:19 PM

[Quote] I think she only had about 4 albums total in her entire career because she couldn't get a record deal.

Why post what can easily be disproved?

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2019 11:30 PM

Eleven studio albums, dozens more she's on...

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2019 11:42 PM

Liza's voice is strange in a studio. Her live albums are great, but she never had a studio voice. It was just too much. She's like Ethel Merman or Patti LuPone that way. Not pretty voices in the traditional sense, but they could sell a song and you'd hear every lyric in the back of the house.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2019 12:24 AM

Liza's more of a shouter than a belter. Lyrical, she ain't. Listen to some of her Bacharach covers.

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2019 12:34 AM

She used what she had very well, but her style was already dated when she arrived on the scene. I do still mourn that she never got to play Rose in Gypsy on stage or on film. I think she'd have been excellent. I've heard her sing all three of Rose's main songs and she nailed each one of them.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2019 5:09 PM

She has an STD in the poussay.

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2019 4:14 AM

Wasn't that a disco act? And I don't mean the act(s) Liza would perform in a disco...

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2019 4:20 AM

You see, dahling...this is how it's done:

Liza Minnelli in 1980 performing the best rendition ever of "Some People" from "Gypsy."

Electrifying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2019 5:08 AM

I liked Liza in the late 1960s when she was all over TV and recorded for Herb Albert's label A&M. I'm not saying she could have continued having a career like that, but it wasn't until Cabaret that she turned into a grotesque drag queen imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Head voice Liza... Ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2019 3:33 PM

Was Liza a good actress?

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2019 11:13 PM

I think she's a good actress who has rarely been able to find good material.

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2019 11:19 PM

Stop hating on Liza.

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2019 11:45 PM

I still have a soft spot for this song! It was a big hit in the gay bars in London in 89/90 when I was all of 18 and just moved to the city for uni!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2019 12:28 AM

Liza's stardom and standing must have been some kind of collective insanity - like Multiple Personality Disorder or Satanic ritual abuse of children. When the HYSTERIA ended - there was nothing left to see but a most ordinary talent, so what? Liza WAS theatrical. Not a great singer, dancer or actress.

by Anonymousreply 73September 27, 2019 12:30 AM

Liza was able to keep people awake and that's a great skill. Some actors these days put me right to sleep after their first two lines. She walks on stage and immediately holds the entire audience in the palm of her hand. She did the same thing in Cabaret, but roles like Sally Bowles are so rare to begin with and she never found another movie role worthy of her talents.

by Anonymousreply 74September 27, 2019 3:10 AM

R72 It was huge in the gay party scene even in Canada, but for some reason the song never got a wide release in North America.

by Anonymousreply 75September 27, 2019 3:10 AM

"Was Liza a good actress?"

NO.

by Anonymousreply 76September 27, 2019 11:27 PM

The "Results" may have been a flop in the US, but I do remember "Loosing My Mind" being constantly played at European discos clubs around 1989 and to this day I still enjoy this album.

by Anonymousreply 77November 4, 2019 5:19 AM

They should have done a whole album with Dusty, not Liza.

by Anonymousreply 78November 4, 2019 5:49 AM

BOO!

^^^^

by Anonymousreply 79November 4, 2019 6:12 AM

Yeah, they would .... but Dusty was far and long (mentaly) gone by then. Liza was much more reliable source ...

by Anonymousreply 80November 4, 2019 6:55 AM

Do you think Tim Rice had her Evita screen test burned?

by Anonymousreply 81November 4, 2019 7:22 AM

She was only talented in the minds of uber queens.

by Anonymousreply 82November 4, 2019 7:42 AM

At least she flushed the drugs straight down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 83September 2, 2020 5:42 AM

She was on the right track doing pop with the Results album, but then didn’t do anymore pop after that. She should have tried a dance record. Her other songs are very dated and showtunes sounding.

by Anonymousreply 84September 2, 2020 5:44 AM

Poor Liza, she really did get a bit of her mother's talent, just not all of it.

by Anonymousreply 85September 2, 2020 5:48 AM

You're all nuts. As a singer, Liza has always been a "performer", but as an actress she's always been very good, even exceptional.

It's been said, but her Lucille on "Arrested Development" is fucking brilliant, and even guest-starring on a late in the run episode of "Law & Order: CI, she wiped the floor with them! She was heartbreaking, committed and real. I think she is as talented an actress as was Lynn Redgrave, certainly as interesting.

by Anonymousreply 86September 2, 2020 6:41 AM

"I think she's a good actress who has rarely been able to find good material."

A typical excuse. A good actor can be good with any material.

by Anonymousreply 87September 2, 2020 1:00 PM

The " Jump the Shark" moment. Everyone knew it was finally over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 2, 2020 1:53 PM

IT NEVER DID!

by Anonymousreply 89September 2, 2020 1:59 PM

There's a lot of vertigo showing in OP's pic!

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2020 2:18 PM

[quote] A typical excuse. A good actor can be good with any material.

And some material is no good with any actor.

by Anonymousreply 91September 2, 2020 4:02 PM

It's not about the material, R91, it's about the ACTOR.

by Anonymousreply 92September 2, 2020 4:03 PM

If that was true, Lawrence Olivier’s late-period career would have played out a lot differently.

by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2020 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!