Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Garland did blackface!

She needs to be erased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2019 3:05 PM

Honey, pills & booze beat you to it.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 11:36 PM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 11:36 PM

Damn, and it's the naughtiest kind of blackface as well. đŸ˜¬

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 11:38 PM

She needs to be canceled!!’

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 11:38 PM

There is a difference between Judy doing blackface in the 1930s and Justin Trudeau doing it in the 1990s and 2000s. If people don't realize that, then THAT is the problem. When my parents were in high school in the 1960s, in the South, it was still common for people to don blackface for talent shows, pep rallies, etc... But, by the time I was in high school, also in the South, in the late 1990s/early 2000s NO ONE donned blackface because everyone knew it was inappropriate.

For a liberal Canadian, who was also the son of a one of Canada's biggest liberals of all-time to claim he didn't realize it was wrong, during that time-frame, is laughable. It is nothing like a young actress in the 1930s doing what her studio told her to do.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 11:46 PM

Jack Haley did silver face.

Buddy Ebsen was gonna play the Tin Man , but he had an allergic reaction to the paint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 11:48 PM

One night I was watching BABES IN ARMS on TCM. There is a scene towards the end in which the 'kids' (a group of teenagers) are trying to decide what kind of production to put on. "Hey kids, let put on a good old fashioned minstrel show !!," squeals Mickey Rooney with glee. Then the 'kids' all join with great excitement and anticipation.

I could believe my eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 11:57 PM

She was an overrated racist bitch cunt who deserved her early death. Nasty whore.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2019 7:54 PM

"Blackout over Broadway" is the most dazzling of the Judy-Mickey Busby Berkeley blackface numbers. The entire finale has been pulled from YouTube, but thankfully, Judy's version of "Franklin D. Roosevelt Jones" (Music & Lyrics by Harold Rome) is still there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2019 8:00 PM

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2019 8:24 PM

And you wonder why black people hate us.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 8:27 PM

On an episode of "All In the Family" Archie and some of his Lodge buddies are going to be doing some kind of skit...and they're all in blackface. Gloria goes into labor and Archie shows up in blackface at the hospital; he blunders into a hospital room asking about directions (he's not sure where Gloria is). The patient in the room is a woman who calls for help, saying there's a strange black man in her room and she's in no condition "to be raped." Archie gets offended and goes out in a huff, saying "who'd wanna rape YOU, anyway?" Of course by today's standards all of this would be revolting, but back then it was considered very funny. I wonder if that episode ever gets aired again, of if it's been shelved forever.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 8:32 PM

Liza, Lorna and Joey need to pay for this, especially Lorna!

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 8:36 PM

R12 this episode was on Logo this past year. But that line may have been cut out. I would have remembered that.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 8:37 PM

The movie studio forced Judy to have an abortion. Maybe they forced her to do this.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2019 8:39 PM

R9 Maybe I'm just living in my liberal bubble, but I did have a Springtime for Hitler look on my face when watching this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2019 8:43 PM

Fred Astaire's tribute to Bill "Mr. Bojangles" Robinson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2019 9:02 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Bing Crosby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2019 9:04 PM

Joan Crawford sans black wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2019 9:07 PM

Joan Crawford sans black wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2019 9:07 PM

Bette Davis celebrates her 70th birthday. It was all her idea, ha ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2019 9:17 PM

Ava Gardner did Light Egyptian Face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2019 9:23 PM

She did it when it was acceptable in white culture to do it. There’s a point where it became clear that it was racist and that no decent person would do it. The dividing line is after Judy and before Trudeau’s shocking display.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2019 9:24 PM

Will any DL icons be left standing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2019 9:28 PM

Joni Mitchell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2019 9:32 PM

Irene Dunne (I love this song, btw, although the performance is horrifying):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2019 9:40 PM

I wonder what we're doing right now that people will find cancel-able in 80 years.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2019 9:42 PM

More of Judy in blackface! With Virgin ia Weidler (who knew she could sing?) and Mickey Rooney also in blackface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2019 9:44 PM

William Holden, Father Is a Bachelor, 1950.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2019 9:49 PM

Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis, 1953

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2019 9:54 PM

[Quote] The patient in the room is a woman who calls for help, saying there's a strange black man in her room and she's in no condition "to be raped."

That is funny r12 and this part reminds me of Mink Stole panicking in the black neighborhood in Hairspray. Is that part still in too in the remake I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2019 9:57 PM

Carroll O'Connor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2019 9:58 PM

#cancelJudy. No blackface, no peace!

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2019 10:02 PM

Well, #JudyGarlandIsDeadToMeToo

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2019 10:15 PM

Betty Grable and June Haver in THE DOLLY SISTERS (1945)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2019 8:09 PM

Blackface aside, "Franklin D. Roosevelt Jones" is one of Judy's greatest MGM musical performances. Although you can practically see Berkeley screaming at her "GOOGLE 'EM! I WANT TO SEE YOUR EYES!" that boom shot pullback and pulling in close to Judy - "My friends....my friends....let's - all - shout HOOOORAAAAAAAY" is thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2019 8:23 PM

Obviously many, many years ago performing in blackface was just considered harmless entertainment, something not to be taken seriously. I don't know exactly when blackface started being considered repulsive and racist; in the last twenty years? Or sooner than that? At any rate, stars from long ago eras can probably be forgiven for it. Times were very different back than. When I think of blackface, I think of Al Jolson, called during his heyday "The World's Greatest Entertainer", down on his knees, in full blackface makeup, belting out "Mammy." He was called "the king of blackface" performers. His blackface performances were considered thrilling and exciting. That's the way it was then.

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2019 8:31 PM

It's hard to believe today, but even black performers did blackface at one time. Here's Bert Williams, the highest-paid black entertainer of his time (1915).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2019 8:46 PM

The fact that someone like r37 can't see how historically offensive and demoralizing blackface is goes to the failure of our educational system is where kids black and white know nothing about the history of this country. Harmless fun?

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2019 2:51 PM

R28 That's not Virginia Wiedler's voice.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2019 3:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!