Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Midcentury modern home in Chappaqua, NY

Your thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2019 2:02 AM

How far from Bill and Hill?

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 9:55 PM

The house is nice. The garden is too dense and one imagines teams with snakes, mosquitoes and dampness.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 9:56 PM

teems

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 9:56 PM

I’m all for “original condition,” but I’m afraid I’m going to need to do something about the kitchen and baths.

Are those windows double-paned?

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 9:57 PM

It looks really nice and promising to me, though the interior would need some careful updates.

But as I look more at the photos, I think there are some exterior issues (retaining walls, etc.) that would need an expensive fix.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 9:58 PM

I would take it in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 10:03 PM

Heating and cooling costs?

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 10:11 PM

The maintenance would be exhausting and probably cost a fortune. Both the house and landscaping.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 10:19 PM

It makes me feel a little sad.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 10:22 PM

It's beyond fabulous. The Warhols made me cum.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 10:36 PM

They couldn't sweep the court for this photo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 10:50 PM

I'd dig up the tennis court and make a garden. Yes, it looks leaky, but airy, drafty in winter for sure.

But old style, lobe the curving landscaping, too.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 10:53 PM

Are the tree roots holding it all together? That house and pool need to be in sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 10:56 PM

Oy, the windex bills!

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 11:00 PM

That add on glass sunroom has to go, then it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 11:24 PM

I love the property and house, but I’d have to update the bathrooms, kitchen and closets.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 11:53 PM

Too much money, and the taxes are outrageously high. I don't particularly care for the community here: very boring mainstream types with delusions of grandeur and the snobbishness which results from such delusions. (I have friends who live here, and they hate it too.) Too far from NYC, when nicer places closer to the city exist for less money.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 1:23 AM

It's so cool. Love the dining room. And the bedroom windows that run the entire length of the wall. The pool is gorgeous.

Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]The garden is too dense and one imagines teams with snakes, mosquitoes and dampness.

Oh Dear! do they go into playoffs against the ants, bees, grubs?

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 1:56 AM

I’m always surprised how cheap some of these great places in Westchester are. Close to city yet bucolic. I love Westchester Co - nicest area outside NYC. $1.7 would buy a basic 2BR in the city. I would prefer this house.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 8:10 PM

Wow! Gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 8:36 PM

R20. The rest of America is way cheaper than NYC.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 8:37 PM

Nice if you can afford a fulltime janitor, landscaping crew, maintenance man, etc.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 8:39 PM

It photographs well, but the upkeep must be rough.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 8:42 PM

The pool and yard are breathtaking. The paneling has to go. I'm curious about the heating cost in the winter - but I guess if you can afford a $1.75 million dollar house you can afford the energy expenses... They love Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 9:32 PM

I love the layout and would the style, if it could be renovated using new materials but retaining the feeling or the original era. Some of the photos show poor upkeep.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 9:38 PM

I love houses with lots of windows and surrounding trees. This one gives me a Mad Men vibe. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. It's striking but sad.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 9:44 PM

R20 I think parts of Westchester are nice, but not Chappaqua. Rye is nicer, and a bit more diverse IMHO. I would even pick White Plains over Chappaqua. I prefer Nyack, or somewhere else in Rockland Cty. Younger, hipper people, less attitude.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2019 1:53 AM

Seems Chappaqua is more woodsy and nature filled. Rye seems more classic suburbia and White Plains is downright trashy in places. I go to Westchester to get nature not city.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2019 1:56 AM

R29 Then check out W. Nyack... or Sleepy Hollow, if you're unfamiliar. Still better people by far. I suppose if one is only going for woods, upstate is the ticket then. I could never put up with the community that is Chappaqua.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2019 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!