Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tom Welling to reprise his role as Superman for CW/Arrowverse Crisis On Infinite Earths

And then there were three. Tom Welling is set to reprise his Smallville role as Clark Kent in the CW’s upcoming DC Arrowverse crossover, joining two other actors who have played the Man of Steel, Tyler Hoechlin and Brandon Routh that are already set to portray the character in the crossover.

Talk started over the summer that the Arrowverse producers were looking to feature multiple versions of Superman in different time periods during the Infinite Earths event, with Welling, Hoechlin and Routh all on the wish list.

While Hoechlin and Routh already are members of the Arrowverse — Hoechlin recurs as Superman on Supergirl, while Routh plays Ray Palmer/The Atom on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow — making their recruitment easier, getting Welling to reprise his signature role was not an easy proposition as he had been reluctant to revisit the character.

He will now do it for the first time in a crossover guest stint, reprising his role as Clark Kent and to reveal what happened to the character almost ten years after Smallville.

Arrow co-creator/executive producer Marc Guggenheim addressed the significance of the casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 4:02 AM

“For eight years, Arrow has stood on the shoulders of Smallville. Simply put, there would be no Arrow, and no Arrowverse, without it,” he said. “So when we first started talking about Crisis on Infinite Earths, our first, second and third priorities were getting Tom to reprise his iconic role as Clark Kent. To say that we’re thrilled would be a Superman-sized understatement.”

As Superman, both he and Hoechlin will suit up, putting on the iconic cape. It is unclear whether Welling will do so or only appear as alter ego Clark Kent.

Titled “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” the upcoming mega-crossover will unite the entire Arrowverse series franchise – Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman – in a five-episode epic that will span two quarters, with three episodes airing in December and the two concluding installments debuting in January.

The season finales of Arrow and The Flash provided some clues for the upcoming crossover, which shares its name with the landmark 12-issue DC Comics series that was published in the 1980s and essentially reset the DC mythology by scuttling decades worth of characters and the dense thicket of a canon built haphazardly by the month by hundreds of writers over decades.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 8:04 PM

I don't watch any of these shows, but the idea of this crossover sounds entertaining, especially with Hoechlin, Routh, and Welling all playing a version of Superman from one of the multiverse Earths.

It's like watching the Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man crossover episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 8:19 PM

In the comic Crisis Supergirl died at the dawn of time, I am so down with that.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 8:31 PM

Lynda Carter is going to be in it too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 8:39 PM

Routh is by far the best of the three.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 11:28 PM

I’d say no, R5 but Tom didn’t really play Superman, the editing on his character whilst wearing the suit in that last episode was Craptacular.

I never saw the Routh movie.

I think Tom is more Clark Kent than anything else. Maybe he will just appear as Clark, though everybody would know who he really Was.

I’m super excited regardless.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 11:57 PM

Republican ASSHOLE

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 12:01 AM

They seem to be going all out for the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover. Glad they got Welling.

But if they're trying to cast every actor who's played a TV incarnation of a DC hero in the last 20 years, will we be seeing Justin Hartley's version of Green Arrow? Or Alan Ritchson's Aquaman?

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] will we be seeing Justin Hartley's version of Green Arrow? Or Alan Ritchson's Aquaman?

I hope so for both.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 1:02 AM

R4 I don't think she will be or at least not as Wonder Woman. I don't think DC/WB would allow especially considering I believe WW84 comes out next year.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 1:20 AM

[Quote] It's like watching the Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man crossover episodes.

Except shittier.

[Quote] In the comic Crisis Supergirl died at the dawn of time, I am so down with that.

I don't think they'll kill Supergirl or The Flash. And Stephen already said Arrow gets a happy ending.....

[Quote] Republican ASSHOLE

Are you talking about Dean Cain??

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 7:15 AM

Am I the only one who is more excited about Erica Durance coming back?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 11:01 PM

Probably, R12.

Besides, we’ve already seen her as Kara’s mom on Supergirl. 🤷🏻‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 11:47 PM

Oh, I just watched the first season of Supergirl.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 11:49 PM

She was hands down the best thing about Smallville, by the way. Her and that Nxivm slaver chick.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 11:50 PM

R15 what about Lex??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2019 12:18 AM

r16 Omg, of course, yes!

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2019 12:23 AM

Poor Dean Cain. Maybe Jesus or Trump will buy him a cheeseburger and cheer him up.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2019 12:26 AM

R18 he's trying to get a Lois & Clark reboot happening with Teri.

R12 I'll take her over Bitsie. Whoever wrote her lines went ott with the feminism.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2019 12:50 AM

Bitsie Tulloch coming back too R19.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2019 1:08 AM

Will the guy with yellow skin be coming back?

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2019 1:33 AM

R20 yes, I know.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 4:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!