Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your favorite ghost towns?

I liked Nevada City in Montana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 3:51 AM

I've only been to Bodie, CA near Bridgeport -- I loved it. Need to explore more.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 8:05 PM

Agree with R1. Bodie is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 8:07 PM

Pripyat, the Chernobyl town wins for scariest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 8:09 PM

I envy you some of your lives having never even been remotely close to a ghost town. It sounds cool, though.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 8:12 PM

China has some eerie ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 8:17 PM

Zana, Peru.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 8:46 PM

Bryan Singer's once epic pool!

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 11:35 PM

I used to go to Oatman Ghost Town in Arizona as a kid. Enjoyed the feral donkeys, and the nearby caves.

Also, it's where Carole Lombard and Clark Gable honeymooned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 11:39 PM

I've been to Bodie, California. It was cool, but it didn't make me want to go out and see more ghost towns.

Did you know Japan has an entire ghost island? Yeah, there was mining on the island of Hashima and the whole place was built up, and then abandoned. The decaying 20th century buildings look so freaking cool that the place was used as a location for the James Bond movie "Skyfall". I'd love to visit the place, when I win the lottery and am taking my slow world tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 4:04 AM

Do ruins count as ghost towns? If so, I have a couple dozens more to add...

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 11:14 PM

It’s not official, but Porter, Indiana is a criss-cross of train tracks and free-range heroin addicts.

Stay with the bullshit on I94 whenever you’re stuck in the Midwest. Local roads host all sorts of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 3:14 AM

Centralia, Pennsylvania, a near-ghost town (there are 5 residents left), unlivable due to an underground mine fire that's been burning continuously for nearly 60 years. It's been called "Hell on Earth", and was the inspiration for the movie, "Silent Hill".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2019 3:34 AM

R12, they straight-washed the storyline - adding to the blasphemy.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!