Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Francisco to Get Environmental Violation for Homelessness, Trump Says

[quote]Trump said late Wednesday that his administration would issue a notice of environmental violation against the city of San Francisco because of what he described as its homelessness problem. He said tremendous pollution was flowing into the ocean because of waste in storm sewers, and he specifically cited used needles. “They’re in serious violation,” Trump said, adding, “They have to clean it up. We can’t have our cities going to hell.”

[quote]San Francisco’s mayor, London Breed, called Trump’s comments “ridiculous.” “To be clear, San Francisco has a combined sewer system, one of the best and most effective in the country, that ensures that all debris that flow into storm drains are filtered out at the city’s wastewater treatment plants,” Ms. Breed said in a statement Wednesday night. “No debris flow out into the bay or the ocean.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2019 12:39 PM

Have to give it to Trump on this one. Clever.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 11:47 AM

r1 In what way? His reason for the violation is literally not rooted in reality.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 11:51 AM

Good. San Fran is a hell of a mess, and it is high time they were called on it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 12:41 PM

This guy is every person in your life you can't stand rolled into one big orange shitheap. He has no redeeming qualities. None. Not a single positive personality trait or natural ability or even physical attribute to be found. I have never been so consistently revolted by anyone in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 12:46 PM

Sorry, but we need to sometimes find moderate solutions to problems. Letting people shit & shoot up all over the streets is not humane for anyone. If dumbass helps by doing this, okay.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2019 8:24 AM

Good. Can we get that here in New York? I haven’t been to SF to see it in person, but it’s apparently a dire scene, and worse than here. But it’s getting there. Last week on Forer Avenue at 78th, there was a motherfucking TENT on the sidewalk. I didn’t get close enough to investigate whether there was a person sleeping in it. It was parked in front of a business that hadn’t opened for the day. And there’s an abandoned empty lot across the avenue where they could have set up their tent, so it seemed rather intentional to me.

It’s getting bad.

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2019 8:42 AM

^^ First Avenue

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2019 8:42 AM

Residents claim homeless have overrun ritzy Lower Manhattan neighborhoods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2019 9:11 AM

Just to job the memory, homelessness was epic around about 1987 in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2019 9:34 AM

There were trails of homeless in most corridors of Penn station and in the Times Square Subway and the way down 42nd and into Bryant Park which was a no go zone certain hours. I don't remember the year(s) but Tompkins Square park was a complete encampment. Many other parks had tent cities as did strange corners and cut de sacs and under bridges, etc. There were tunnel people. There were homeless all the way down the west side of Manhattan. There were squats all over the 5 boroughs especially Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2019 9:36 AM

Scroll down for the late 80s stuff. Tomkins Square Riot was 1988

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2019 10:56 AM

Typical— blame homelessness but don’t address any of its causes

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2019 11:14 AM

He's trolling Pelosi.

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Trump cites needles but still won’t allow safe injection sure which would get all that stuff off the streets

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Denmark has nearly eliminated homelessness. How? By having a strong social safety net (not gonna happen in the US) and building affordable housing. And don't get me started on mental health care and safe drug use...

You can't "sweep" people from the streets ike Trump wants to. Address the underlying causes for homelessness and stop pretending like this is a municipal issue when it's clearly a national one.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2019 11:20 AM

Now he cares about the environment?

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2019 12:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!