Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carly Simon - Stardust

Rock star obsession (according to Carly Simon):

Golden rock'n'roll man Breaking all of the records and rules Sold out in an hour The stage is your own bedroom

I have your poster close to my bed Earphones glued to my head But I'd rather have you in my arms instead And I'd be better than I was before If only I had you If only I had If only I had If only I had your Stardust Your glamour is golden Stardust I'd feel so important Stardust If only I knew you Stardust I want to be near you Stardust

There I got to meet you And your gold glitter fell all over me Then I shook your hand Took some of your lustre I told my friends that you were just a man Real nice, not tough None of that phony star stuff And I'm better than I was before Because I have you Because I have Because I have Because I have your Stardust Your glamour is golden Stardust I feel so important Stardust Now that I'm holding you Stardust Now that I know you Stardust

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 12:40 AM

I wish she'd include the Carmichael-Parish "Stardust" in her next album of standards (and maybe "The Way You Look Tonight").

Until then...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 11:13 AM

the Carl Bernstein song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 11:33 AM

the rock stardust! yay!

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2019 2:08 AM

That album was crap except “Jesse”

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2019 4:03 AM

Stardust is a great track.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2019 12:26 PM

It’s a weird album but there are some good tracks besides Jesse. Take Me As I Am would have been a strong single and James is beautiful (if dated as she sings so lovingly about her ex.) The Three of Us In The Dark is a good production though I’m not sure I’ve ever completely understood the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2019 12:37 PM

Keeping in mind I'm a big fan, Carly won't be recording anything anytime soon. Her voice is gone - when she has performed during the last few years, it's all raspy, quivering and you can tell it's some effort for her to get the notes out. Apparently voice lessons were not available on the island, or else she didn't bother to take care of herself.

Her last album of all-new material was released in 2000. Since then, it's been the standards, re-recordings of her best songs, and compilations. She also released a two-disc set to accompany her memoir in 2015, which had one new song on it.

I doubt she ever releases anything "new" ever again. She's 74 and, without a record company behind her, I think the cost would be prohibitive for her. A big part of her success was the marketing such companies provided when she was in her prime. She lost millions to Kenneth Starr. She's even recently sold off part of her Vineyard property , which she's had since she and James were a couple.

However, she has great style as a writer and no doubt has several more books in her, if she wants to spill the beans more than she already has with the first memoir and the Jackie O book.

by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2019 11:54 PM

Okay so now it looks like the fucking Tatutm O fucking Neal queen has now turned into the goddamn Carly fucking Simon Queen. When are we going to be free of this evil that imprisons us all?

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2019 12:01 AM

R7, that is really sad, but I guess it happens to most singers sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2019 12:03 AM

The real Stardust sung by a real singer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2019 12:05 AM

I remember that album (Come Upstairs) coming out and being very disappointed.

Carly was trying -- too hard -- to get on the "New Wave" bandwagon.

It wasn't a good fit. Although the title song was good and "Take Me as I Am" had very strong lyrics.

[quote]The Three of Us In The Dark is a good production though I’m not sure I’ve ever completely understood the lyrics.

I think it is about being with a man who is also seeing someone else. The invisible, other person who comes between you and is always there. That was the situation with her and James then.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2019 12:14 AM

I loved most of it but, man, "Them" is the worst thing she ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2019 12:27 AM

r7, you forgot 2008's This Kind of Love. Although probably most people have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!