Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cokie Roberts is dead to me!

One of my favorite news commentators!

by Anonymousreply 121September 22, 2019 4:05 PM

Nooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 2:34 PM

cancer?

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 2:35 PM

I always loved the way she spoke— measured, slight southern drawl, always with a smile

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 2:35 PM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 2:36 PM

damn! RIP!

I always enjoy watching her...

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 2:36 PM

Complications from breast cancer

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 2:37 PM

Her commentary was always so smart! Will miss her!!

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 2:37 PM

She was 75, just like Ric O. from the cars...

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 2:38 PM

She was still doing the "Ask Cokie" segment on NPR until just a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 2:41 PM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 2:41 PM

She messed around with a bloke named Smokey

She loved him though she was Cokey

He took her down to Chinatown

And he showed her how to kick the gong around

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 2:44 PM

TISSUE!!! SOMEONE BRING ME TISSUE!!!

OH! COKIE, COKIE, COKIE!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 2:48 PM

What lends itself to one being nicknamed cokie?

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote]What lends itself to one being nicknamed cokie?

Roberts, born Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs, said she got the name "Cokie" from her older brother, who couldn't pronounce Corinne and dubbed her Cokie instead. The name stuck with her ever since.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 2:55 PM

Is her brother the journalist dead?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 2:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 3:01 PM

While working in Guatemala in 1989 helping poor indigenous Guatemalans learn how to read, Sister Dianna Ortiz, a Catholic nun from New Mexico, was abducted, raped and tortured by members of a government-backed death squad, who believed she was a subversive.[28] During a subsequent interview, Roberts contested Ortiz's claim that an American was among her captors. (The United States provided significant military aid to Guatemala at the time.) Roberts implied that Ortiz was lying about the entire episode, although Ortiz later won a lawsuit against a Guatemalan general she accused in the case

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 3:04 PM

Fantastic. I hated that smug bitch. In the Sally Quinn "mean girls of DC" circle.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 3:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 3:07 PM

She was DC royalty. Daughter of two members of Congress. Married to another prominent journalist. Brother was a major lobbyist.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 3:12 PM

Blech. Roberts was friends with the worthless cunt and hardcore Clinton hater Sally Quinn. Roberts was, along with Quinn and numerous equally worthless members of the DC establishment, a proponent of anti Clinton hysteria and the witch hunt directed at President Clinton during the 90s over a bj. There is no way to minimize the damage that the DC media establishment scum did towards this country and the world at large with their constant haranguing of Clinton and later Gore (who they associated with the Clinton's ) .Imagine a world where Gore had been elected and the Iraq War and Trump had never happened. I will smile if everyone in that social circle including Chris Matthews, Mark Halperin, Sally Quinn, Maureen Dowd et al get diagnosed with terminal cancer themselves. They are just as bad as the Fox News establishment and in some ways worse because they are disingenuous about where their sympathies lie.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote]Imagine a world where Gore had been elected and the Iraq War and Trump had never happened.

Why do you continue to live in a world that will never be, R21?

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 3:27 PM

She looked horrible earlier this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 3:31 PM

Okay... time for a bit of shallowness...

I always loved her hair and that style cut!

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 3:34 PM

"What a loss."

Former co-anchor Sam Donaldson remembers Cokie Roberts, one of "the great ones."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 3:42 PM

I thought Sam D was dead?

🥴

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 3:46 PM

After listening to her all these years she felt like part of the family-- that quick & sassy aunt you want to hang with. Nina Totenberg is another one I adore.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 3:51 PM

Cokie Roberts is dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 3:54 PM

First Ric, then Cokie, who is next?

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote]I thought Sam D was dead?

No-- just the animal he wears on his head.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 4:29 PM

Smug self-satisfied friend of the powerful and connected

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 4:33 PM

she was a cunt

"Roberts stated: “I know his [Obama's] grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place,” adding, “He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time.”

Roberts repeated her criticism of Obama's vacation destination during the August 11 broadcast of NPR's Morning Edition, asserting that Obama's choice of Hawaii for his vacation “makes him seem a little bit more exotic.” She also characterized Hawaii as “a somewhat odd place to be doing it,” despite acknowledging, “I know that he is from Hawaii, he grew up there, his grandmother lives there.”

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 4:48 PM

Former President Barack Obama and wife Michelle Obama hailed Roberts for rising to leadership roles in journalism at a time when the field was "dominated by men," and "informing voters about the issues of our time."

"Michelle and I are sad to hear about the passing of Cokie Roberts," the 44th president said in a statement. "She was a trailblazing figure; a role model to young women at a time when the profession was still dominated by men; a constant over forty years of a shifting media landscape and changing world, informing voters about the issues of our time and mentoring young journalists every step of the way.

The former first couple added: "She will be missed — and we send our condolences to her family."

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 4:51 PM

R29...Sinead O'Connor

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 4:55 PM

Actually, it was Eddie Money then Ric then Cokie. That's three. No more major deaths for a while.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 4:56 PM

DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 4:59 PM

I remember she lead the chorus for Bill Clinton’s impeachment. Sorry but not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 5:00 PM

Complicit Trash.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 5:03 PM

Oh no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 5:05 PM

The really interesting story is about her father, Hale Boggs, a powerful Democratic Congressman who served on the Warren Commission. He thought the information given to the Commission by the FBI was bogus. He did not believe JFK was killed by only one gunman.

Of the seven member Warren Commission, there were three dissenters: Senator Sherman Cooper, Senator Richard Russell, and Congressman Hale Boggs. Boggs accused the FBI of tapping congressional phones, and called for J. Edgar Hoover's resignation.

Boggs apparently died in 1972 while on a military junket flight in Alaska. Despite a massive search, no trace of the airplane or of Boggs has ever been found.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 5:17 PM

R32 Exotic? What a silly brainless little dipshit. Cokies statement encapsulates everything that's been wrong with the political media for the 30 or so years . The Washington press is as shallow and inane as it gets and unfortunately their stupidity affects public discourse.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 5:20 PM

of course Myrtle Beach can be "exotic" in its own way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2019 5:27 PM

[quote]Actually, it was Eddie Money then Ric then Cokie. That's three. No more major deaths for a while.

Well, fuck YOU, buddy!

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2019 5:29 PM

RIP indeed. She was a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2019 5:38 PM

barf

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 5:44 PM

Mark Knoller @markknoller

On the death of Cokie Roberts, Pres Trump said he never met her. "She never treated me nicely, but I would like to wish her family well." He said she was a professional and he respects professionsals. But said again, she "never treated me well."

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Cokie, Cokie -- Lend Me Your Tomb!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2019 6:34 PM

From the thread title, I'd thought who died was a coked-up Thomas Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2019 6:35 PM

R29, Barbara Walters? Hugh Downs? Tom Brokaw?

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2019 6:40 PM

You may hate her for called Hawaii exotic but she was stating how so many deplorables saw it.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2019 6:41 PM

r46, Trump makes everything about him . EVERYTHING

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2019 6:43 PM

Titty cancer is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2019 6:48 PM

[quote]You may hate her for called Hawaii exotic but she was stating how so many deplorables saw it.

I wouldn't say just deplorables but a great many. This leads to racism... once again. That's whether people realized it or not.

Hawaii is traditionally looked upon as a vacation/tourism destination. It's the goal of the average American to visit and vacation there at some point in their life--particularly retirees. It's shangra la! And then, we now have a person running for president coming from there? AND THEN, we learn that it is not only an "American" that is coming from this oasis BUT a Black man? How can that be? That what was hard for many to digest.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2019 6:50 PM

Ugh, always hated her and Sam Donaldson. I changed the channel when their ugly mugs would appear on network news. I'm glad that the era of "above it all/one of the guys/explaining to the idiots how Washington works" approach to reporting the news is mostly dead.

Add the awful, odious Diane Sawyer to that list.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2019 6:55 PM

I don't know the health of her mother but Lindy Boggs, (Cokie's mother), died just 6 years ago. That's not long ago at all.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Compare Trump's reaction to the Obamas (despite that dumb exotic Hawaii crap feeding in to the idea that Obama was "foreign" and un-American). Donald Trump and his whore continue to bring "class" back to the White House!

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2019 7:01 PM

She was the Queen of Conventional Wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2019 7:15 PM

Her face always reminded me of a Pekingese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2019 7:20 PM

^Well... in fairness R56, the Obama family were something that MANY people of this country had never seen before. Sure, many might have read that there were "wealthy" African Americans but who was really exposed to that and them? People also know that there are intelligent and very smart Blacks, etc. But, a Black man from Hawaii (Shangra La), that had also lived in India, and traveled who knows where else in the world? It just didn't compute for a great many. Especially when the richest Black American that most people of any race and color ever knew about was George Jefferson.

Which reminds me of an ad that I saw, (and I'm glad I found it), by IKEA when Obama was was initially elected and he and the family were moving to the White House. NOW, I'm sure there were no overt and/or conscious racial motives intended. It was a period of a lot of fun and excitement! But, (with the linked ad), there was definitely an echo of the song; "Well, We're Movin' On Up" Which just shows how racism is so institutionalized in this country. You haven't seen this happen with any other president. The only thing I can equate this to is the Clampets when they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly... Hills, that is....

So, Cokie's comments about Obama (in context and the environment) made sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2019 7:31 PM

IKEA titled the marketing campaign; "Embrace The Change"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2019 7:33 PM

Only to be replaced by the current complicit, mewling obsequiousness in the face of encroaching fascism, r54.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote]So, Cokie's comments about Obama (in context and the environment) made sense.

bullshit

she suggested that rather than going to "exotic" Hawaii he should go to Myrtle Beach

noted gathering place of real murican frat boys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2019 7:39 PM

EMBRACE CHANGE! IKEA went ALL out but so did many other companies upon the Obama election.

[quote]bullshit she suggested that rather than going to "exotic" Hawaii he should go to Myrtle Beach noted gathering place of real murican frat boys

Well, you do know that Myrtle Beach, particularly Atlantic Beach, is an historically Black vacation destination?

[quote]In the state of “Smiling Faces and Beautiful Places,” between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, lies a pearl.

[quote]Atlantic Beach, nicknamed “The Black Pearl” for its rich history and African-American owned businesses, is located in Horry County (pronounced OH-ree) in the northeast corner of South Carolina. Though it was conceived as a result of segregationist laws, Atlantic Beach flourished as a thriving African-American vacation spot and as a nucleus for the surrounding communities of Crescent Beach, Windy Hill, Ocean Drive, and Cherry Grove that would later become part of North Myrtle Beach. Today, those living in the Black Pearl strive to preserve and communicate the distinctive history of this African-American enclave and the Gullah-Geechee culture that has shaped it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2019 7:50 PM

I just saw her on TV a couple weeks ago. She looked ill but I didn't think she was at death's door.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2019 8:32 PM

^Same here. It was obvious to me that she HAD been sick and had lost a lot of weight. But, with her appearance on the television I had just assumed that she "conquered" whatever illness she had and was getting back to work.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2019 8:37 PM

Some called her "Cuntie Roberts." Far more insidious than her adoration of Sally Quinn is her introduction of the noun "disconnect" in the common parlance.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2019 8:39 PM

well it did apply to her brain and her mouth, assuming the existence of the former

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2019 8:58 PM

Steve Inskeep

@NPRinskeep

A great many women have been telling stories today of Cokie Roberts’ help and encouragement over decades. She was a pioneer who tugged others down the trail. She was also, simply, a leader among journalists. And there are men at NPR who cried today.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2019 9:25 PM

The word "cunt" was invented for Sally Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2019 9:26 PM

amateur, joanie come lately

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2019 9:32 PM

R69, By Toni Bradlee.

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2019 9:39 PM

(GASP!)

Sander Vanocur gone too!!!! I can't take this. I. JUST. CAN'T. TAKE. THIS...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2019 9:58 PM

oh noes! sandy my my teen peen tingle.....hot and intense he was

though i didn't realize he was still alive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2019 10:07 PM

“tugged others down the trail” is such a weird thing to say. Why didn’t she “help” others?

When is the last time anyone was “tugged” by another person??

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2019 10:32 PM

R73, Interviewing Jackie in 1961 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2019 10:35 PM

There was no witch hunt r21. The president’s voice was on tape instructing others to lie under oath. Sorry that the facts are inconvenient to you.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2019 10:45 PM

R27 whenever there is a major SCOTUS ruling I go straight to NPR for Nina Totenberg’s take. Nobody covers SCOTUS better than she does.

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2019 10:51 PM

I could tell she had terminal cancer the last time I saw her on ABC This Week. She had noticeable weight loss, raspy voice, seemed weak/fatigued, etc. I don't believe it was publicized that her breast cancer had returned (she was diagnosed with breast CA in 2002, but was successfully treated, at the time), was it?

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2019 11:02 PM

Sander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2019 11:09 PM

That sucks.

She used to do a wonderful segment on NPR every week where she'd break down what was really going on in DC and the coverage of it.

Going to miss that and her.

What a great woman.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2019 11:10 PM

Michelle Malkin, who is one of the biggest fucking cunts to ever live, apparently spoke at a Paley Center event today and said to the audience that Roberts was one of the first journalists to deliver fake news.

Fucking miserable cunt from hell.

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2019 12:21 AM

You seem fun r81

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2019 12:21 AM

R82 You think shitting on someone's legacy on the day they die is "fun?"

To each their own, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2019 12:23 AM

I think calling people the c-word is not nice r83

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2019 12:26 AM

Malkin might be a miserable cunt (she is), but there's no denying the fact that mainstream journalism helped an awful lot to open themselves up to charges of fake news by debasing the news and turning it into entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2019 12:29 AM

OMG you are on the fucking WRONG forum r84!

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2019 12:31 AM

R84 Cunt is the nicest thing most people on this board could say about Malkin.

If you're too delicate to hear that word, you may want to try the Entertainment Weekly comment section.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2019 12:33 AM

R83, Dallas schoolchildren cheered when told that JFK had died.

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

Malkin is truly vile. A horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]Malkin is truly vile. A horrible person.

She SURE is! But, these people are nothing more than shock jocks. They will do and say whatever is necessary to remain relevant. Now, I haven't heard anything from Malkin since the first term of Obama when Hannity had her on his show every 5 minutes. He must have tried to fuck her and she rebuffed him because she no longer appears on that show... or, not too many places on FOX period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2019 12:58 AM

She is a shock jock but y’all drop c-words and f-bombs like nobody’s business. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2019 1:35 AM

You know why, R91? Fannie Lou Hamer said it best and to paraphrase; "People are sick and tired of being sick and tired." Now, I don't think that there will be many who would dispute that the MSM had lost its way. But, this rise and traction of the the extreme conservative right (which was decades in the making) has gone beyond the fork in the road. We are now, (in this country) of seeing hard fought advancements in civil and equal rights being rolled back. We're not doing that.

by Anonymousreply 92September 18, 2019 1:45 AM

We have gay rights r92 what else do you want that justifies cussing people out? I’m sorry but I just don’t see what you see.

by Anonymousreply 93September 18, 2019 2:36 AM

R93 is a huge cunt.

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2019 2:49 AM

I feel sad because she is triggering my grief over the loss of Ellen Corby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2019 3:05 AM

and June Lockhart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2019 3:06 AM

And even Sandra Day O'Connor.

Give me something for the pain! GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR THE PAIN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2019 3:07 AM

Where has Ann Coulter been hiding?

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2019 4:50 AM

She's in the barn with all of the other horses.....

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2019 8:24 AM

Was she wealthy? Celebrity Net Worth has her listed as only 5 million. Do you think she was worth more than that?

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2019 11:06 AM

^And, $5MM isn't wealthy to you?

Even though it's Celebrity Net Worth that figure would sound about right. Cokie was a journalist. Her husband is a journalist and a college professor. They wrote books that were read by a niche audience and made basically per diem television appearances.

What do you feel that her net worth should be?

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2019 11:24 AM

TODAY @TODAYshow

Tributes poured in overnight for trailblazing journalist and author Cokie Roberts, who passed away on Tuesday at age 75.

@MitchellReports

remembers the newswoman, who helped pave the way for women in a profession once dominated by men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2019 12:20 PM

Girls, girls, Malkin and Cokie are/were BOTH cunts.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2019 12:25 PM

Malkin showed her true colors. fucking soulless cunt. Who the fuck would say such a thing, her parents must be proud. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2019 1:55 PM

The very dark truth about Donald Trump revealed in his Cokie Roberts comments

Usually when someone dies, you follow the rule your mom taught you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

President Donald Trump doesn't follow that rule. Asked about the passing of legendary journalist Cokie Roberts on Tuesday, here's what Trump said (in part): "I never met her. She never treated me nicely. But I would like to wish her family well. She was a professional, and I respect professionals." So, yeah.

The first words out of his mouth when asked about someone's death was a) never met her and b) "she never treated me nicely." Me, Me, Me, Me, Me Me.

While all politicians -- and all people -- tend to see things through a how-does-this-impact-me lens, most of us understand that turning everything, especially someone else's death, into a conversation about ourselves is hugely selfish and narcissistic. It also reeks of a lack of empathy, an inability to step outside yourself and into another person's shoes for even a minute.

That Trump's first instinct when asked about the death of a prominent journalist would be to make it about himself and then use it as a piece of ammo in his long-running fight with the news media is, even for this president, a remarkable thing. And by remarkable, I mean revealing. Revealing in that it makes clear -- and, if you have been paying attention to the presidency it might well already be crystal clear to you -- that Trump is simply unconcerned about anyone who isn't him. He doesn't view the presidency as a position of moral leadership. He just does and says what he wants, when he wants.

That rejection of moral leadership -- of taking the high road, of understanding that you don't need to say everything you think -- is what makes Trump truly radical vis a vis the other men who have held the office of president. They tried -- and sometimes failed, but always tried -- to do what they believed to be the right thing, even if it wasn't what they wanted to do. Trump makes no attempt to do so. None.

You can argue that what Trump says about a deceased journalist isn't that big a deal -- especially when compared to some of the other things he has said and done as president. I get that. But, it reveals something far deeper -- and darker -- about Trump.

Someone who is incapable of expressing empathy -- or even of not saying something bad! -- about a dead person is someone who is so self-focused as to be largely (if not totally) blind to the world around him. That's a problem for any person. It's a massive problem -- and should be a huge area of concern -- when the person we are talking about is the president of the United States.

None of this, of course, means that Trump can't or won't win in 2020. After all, he won in 2016 even while badly losing voters who said a candidate who "cares about me" was their biggest priority. Voting for Trump in 2016 was about choosing a radical change agent and it's indisputable that he's been that. But, the assumption that all change is good change is a mistaken one. Whether Trump wins or loses next November, his lack of empathy and presidency devoid of moral leadership will have fundamentally altered the way in which the presidency is conceived in at least some circles in the country. And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2019 9:00 PM

I want to shout this for Cokie Roberts.

"I'M 75 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M STILL PROTESTING THIS SAME CRAP!"

But Cokie, know this: I'm not going to stop. RIP on that one, my friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2019 9:15 PM

At one point, according to [italic]Spy Magazine[/italic], Cokie was the center of the universe, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2019 9:37 PM

What a wonderful tribute by "The View"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2019 12:53 AM

What No One's Saying About Cokie Roberts: She was an LGBTQ ally and outspoken supporter of marriage equality:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2019 2:17 AM

R101- Is 5 million wealthy? It seems like she should have had family money. Maybe worth at least 20 million?

by Anonymousreply 110September 20, 2019 12:34 AM

I know someone who went to her funeral today. Sam Donaldson was there. Barney Frank has trouble walking. Leslie Stahl’s husband has Parkinson’s.

The person I know didn’t know Cokie very well having been in meetings only a few times, but said that she remembered his name at an event and came over to him and was very nice.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2019 10:07 PM

Maybe her family was wealthy. They put on a large funeral and wanted money to go to charity rather than flowers or a fund to help pay. "She was a longtime advocate for children and her family says, in lieu of flowers, those who wish to further honor her can consider a contribution in her memory to the Children’s Inn at NIH in Bethesda, Maryland"

by Anonymousreply 112September 22, 2019 9:13 AM

R111 Did you friend say if it was well attended? The public was invited to attend. Was it hard to get a seat?

by Anonymousreply 113September 22, 2019 9:17 AM

While serving as a missionary in Guatemala in 1989, Dianna Ortiz was abducted on November 2 by members of the Guatemalan military, detained, raped, and tortured for 24 hours before being released. After her release, Ortiz reported that an American was among her captors.

In a 1996 widely recounted interview with Ortiz on the TV news program Nightline, American journalist Cokie Roberts contested Ortiz's claim that an American was among her captors. (The United States provided significant military aid to Guatemala at the time.) Roberts implied that Ortiz was lying about the entire episode, despite the fact that Ortiz later won a lawsuit against a Guatemalan general she accused in the case.

It was later revealed that Patton Boggs, the law firm of Roberts' brother Tom Boggs, was paid by the Guatemalan government to promote a more positive image of the regime, which was widely criticized internationally for human rights abuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 22, 2019 12:30 PM

C-SPAN aired the funeral "live".

Funeral was packed, St.Matthew's Cathedral, same church as JFK's funeral.

George Will was there along with Sam Donaldson.

Nancy Pelosi and husband Steve Roberts gave the eulogies.

by Anonymousreply 115September 22, 2019 2:47 PM

The complete funeral Mass . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 22, 2019 2:49 PM

Four hours and 32 minutes? That's almost as long as Aretha's funeral.

And I would wager that the singing was not as good.

by Anonymousreply 117September 22, 2019 2:51 PM

[quote]Four hours and 32 minutes? That's almost as long as Aretha's funeral.

Almost?

Aretha's funeral was nearly 8 hours! A lunch and dinner break were needed!

by Anonymousreply 118September 22, 2019 3:05 PM

R118, Aretha had multiple costume changes during her services.

by Anonymousreply 119September 22, 2019 3:56 PM

R117, That's incorrect. The Mass is only about an hour long.

by Anonymousreply 120September 22, 2019 3:57 PM

Wonderful tribute to her on ABC This Week, as it should have been. George Will and Sam Donaldson told some fun anecdotes. I loved the one about Lindy Boggs being hesitant about the position of Ambassador to the Vatican and her daughter said “Do it, mother. It combines the two things you love most: going to mass and going to parties.”

by Anonymousreply 121September 22, 2019 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!